Day 5: Midnight Rage

Forty Percent True: Dog Days
Please log in to read the full chapter

“People will surprise you.”

I remember my mom telling me this on my first day back in Busan. Since then I’ve been taking what she said to heart.

Jackson, for instance, has surprised me a lot. He could have easily enjoyed himself in Seoul. Instead he’s put up with my less-than-enthusiastic tours of the city. Moreover he’s been providing free labour at the shop. I think it’s because my parents remind him of his own. He’s fond of keeping my mother company at the counter. Sometimes I put down whatever book I’m reading to join their conversation. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard.

Last night, we Skyped with Donghyun at a private internet café. He informed us that the meetings have been making good progress.

“The principal investigator is a wonderful lady – much less conservative than I expected.”

He mentioned the company was willing to sign an agreement, though they requested my parents to be informed about it.

“If you ever need to terminate your contract in the event of a scandal, the company wants to make sure you can live safely with your next of kin.”

I agreed to it reluctantly.

 

It’s late in the evening. The four of us – Jackson and I, and my parents – are back at the apartment. This is our last meal together before Jackson and I board the midnight bus to Seoul. We’re travelling at night so that we’re less likely to get noticed. I can’t eat much when I anxious, so I’ve been forcing down the past few bites. Fortunately for me, Jackson’s been doing most of the talking.

“And that’s how I won first place at the fencing championships.”

My parents applaud. I clap along, but I’m a split-second late to reacting. I’ve heard this story dozens of times to be engaged. I’m also too distracted by the thought of what I have to do. I tell myself that I’m doing this because my parents need to know. If the rest of the world finds out, then they won’t be finding out along with them by reading the tabloids. I hope they can see the respect in that.

“Your parents must be very proud of you Jackson.”

“Thank you Mrs. Park.”

And then I begin doubting the situation. Perhaps this isn’t the right time. I’ve had Seunghoon yell at me – I’ve seen my father do much worse. I want to wait until I make enough money to live on my own, until I’m financially independent. I'm not there yet. I want to wait.

Jackson turns to me at the end of his story – from the look he sends me, he’s exhausting his supply of stories.

I muster my courage.

“Omma, appa, there’s something I should tell you.”

“Yes?”

“The company meetings we’re going to, they’re part of an internal investigation.”

“Omo,” Mom says, “what’s going on?”

“I’ve been involved in a relationship with someone.”

Dad puts his chopsticks on the table. “Did you get a girl pregnant?”

If only that were the case.

“I’ve been involved in a relationship with a boy in the group.”

In that moment my parents stop moving. They’re staring at me, mouths open, brows creased.

Please log in to read the full chapter