Day 6: Where Is My Mind?

Forty Percent True: Dog Days
Please log in to read the full chapter

Like all people I introduce to my older sister, Grace, Yugyeom’s intrigued by her physical appearance – from the shaved sides of her head peeking from under her flat cap, to the combination relaxed-fit jeans and men’s flannel shirt.

From time to time, I catch him stealing glances at her.

“Are you sure this is safe?” a distressed Yugyeom inquires.

“Of course.” I reassure him. “Don’t worry, once you’ve ridden this one, all the others won’t seem so bad.”

A ride attendant hurriedly checks that our harnesses are secured before moving on the seats behind us.

“No hands?” Grace suggests.

My brother looks at her incredulously. “Heck, yeah!”

The ride starts moving forward and hauling up the first incline. Yugyeom’s eyes are closed, unable to see our changing elevation. I’m screaming wildly, along with my siblings. As we’re pulling over the top of the hill, we come face-to-face with the twenty-one-storey, vertical drop. The train then makes a thunderous descent down the steel track. The air roars past us as we’re thrown along for the ride.

 

...

After a long day of roller coasters and over-priced food, we’re finally walking towards the parking lot. I take the chance to catch up privately with Grace. Joey and Yugyeom are behind us, conversing with minimal English and many bouts of charades.

“So how’s everything going, Mark?” Grace asks.

“It’s going great.” I say.

To be honest, at times I find myself regretting the fact that Jinyoung isn’t here.

“How about you, Grace? You look like you’ve been eating well.”

She turns to me and punches me in the shoulder.

“I guess I have been.” She smirks.

We then notice a stranger walking past us in the same direction. As he walks around and ahead of us, he mumbles something that Grace and I heard, as clear as day.

“Is that a boy or a girl?”

What the—

In that moment my blood begins to boil. I’m about to call him out, pull him back and punch him down. And I would have, if it weren’t for that firm hand gripping my shoulder.

“Let it go,” said Grace, calmly.

“But that guy just—

“Joey and Yugyeom.”

We both take a glance behind us. They haven’t noticed what happened.

 

Back at the house, Grace treats me to a beer after I remained silent throughout dinner. Mom’s inside cleaning up. Joey and Yugyeom are inside, playing video games. It’s just us two standing on the backyard porch, enjoying the crisp evening air.

“I’m sorry I almost lost my cool.” I admit.

She chuckles at me. “I’m glad I caught you… unlike last time.”

“You mean that kid from high school?”

The memory sprints through my head – when Grace picked me up during lunch and another student said the exact same thing as that man in the park. Though back then was I much faster, and Grace’s reflex much slower.

I rub the part of my lip where the stiches were placed.

“You looked like you just came out of juvie.” Grace recalls.

“Dad was furious.”

“He was angrier at me. He said that the haircut and everything was just embarrassing the family.”

“And everything.” I echo, my brow furrowing with g

Please log in to read the full chapter