Day 4: Skinny Love

Forty Percent True: Dog Days
Please log in to read the full chapter

Two days ago I got an e-mail from our manager, saying that a lawyer needed to Skype with me.

The following day we talked. It was in the afternoon – or late at night in Seoul for the lawyer. He introduced himself as Choi Donghyun. We talked for several hours about my testimony, about the details of my relationship with Jinyoung. It took patience to get through it all. He kept reminding me to frame things as they were before Jinyoung ended things, without anger or grief. I tried my best.

At the end, we talked a bit more. He told me about himself and his law practice. I asked how the rest of the boys were doing in Seoul.

“They’re doing great. I’ll be meeting with Jaebum and your manager tomorrow.”

“How’s Jinyoung?” I ask.

“Oh, he’s doing fine.”

 

If there’s one thing I learned about Kim Yugyeom, it’s that he can talk to women. He’s usually pretty awkward with the ladies, though I’m guessing it’s because his hyungs are always around to make fun of him.

I was too busy catching up with everyone to notice, but apparently ‘Gyeom and Julia remained pretty close at Andrew's party.

The morning after, Julia texts me:

“Thanks for inviting me, I had a fun time. If Yugyeom is ever bored, I’d be happy to show him around!”

On the same day, after talking with the lawyer, Yugyeom comes up to me with a seemingly dire request.

“Mark-hyung, where can I take Julia out on a date?”

That’s how we ended up going driving to Santa Monica, to the aquarium by the pier. I asked Jessica to tag along, knowing that I’d be a third wheel otherwise.

“You just had to suggest this place.” She states.

“It suits the occasion.” I reply, pointing to Yugyeom and Julia who are frolicking ahead of us.

“It worked well for our first date.” Jessica says.

“True.”

We stop in our tracks to keep some distance from the other two. Right now they’re staring in awe at a tank of tropical fish. When they move on, we follow behind.

My eyes wander around the exhibits and the walls. “Not much has changed since I last remember.”

It felt like we were chasing ghosts. Instead of Yugyeom and Julia, I saw younger versions of me and Jessica walking ahead. I imagined us as we were before, two pubescent teenagers fumbling through awkward conversations and sweaty hand-holding, with nothing but the sharks and the kelp garden to bear witness.

“Remember the times when you gelled your hair up and spiked it out in all directions?”

I finger through my hair to reminding myself of the coif that the JYP hairdressers and marketing reps have expertly planned.

“I swear it was cool back then.”

“You know who had real style back then? Jerry.”

The truth comes out. I bring my hands to my face overdramatically.

“I knew it, I knew you liked him!”

Jessica laughs. “All the girls thought he was cute with that faux-hawk.”

“Well you weren’t the prettiest girl either. You and your straight bangs.”

She turns to me, scrunching her face. “Rude.”

We turn a corner to find to a tank of jellyfish. Our ghosts take a seat on the bench next to the glass – the boy looks down at his fingers while brazening through an awkward confession. The girl swings her legs, waiting for him to finish so she can say that she feels the same way.

“What was your first impression of me?” I ask.

“Dorky and awkward, but cute.” She replies. “What about me?”

“I thought you were out of my league.”

The ghosts get up and move on. Jessica and I take their places on the bench.

“Hey, Mark.”

“Hmm?”

“Are you copper and tellurium?”

I can feel my mouth curve into a wide smile – she’s reciting the pick-up line I used when asked her out to the aquarium.

“Because you’re CuTe.” I conclude.

 

Julia persuaded Yugyeom to sit with us for dinner. I guess she feels bad for abandoning us back in the aquarium. I can tell that Yugyeom is displeased, otherwise he wouldn’t be gazing at the other tables.

“So you two dated, before?” Julia asks.

“Yeah, we did.”

“That must have been cool, dating a K-pop star.”

“Aside from the lack of replying to messages and e-mails, yeah I guess it was.” Jessica explains. She turns to my direction and scrunches her face with playful contempt.

Julia translates for Yugyeom. He nods, appearing to be a bit more interested in the conversation.

“How did you two mee

Please log in to read the full chapter