Chapter 30

The Team

“Are you sure dropping the both of you here is fine? The rain is still pretty big though.” Joongki asked with the car window down. Woobin and Mino is standing inside a shelter of a convenient store. Roo has already fallen asleep on the passenger seat with Joongki’s jacket draped over her small frame.

“Yes, we both live around the neighbourhood. Thank you for driving us.” Woobin bowed. “Please drive home safely.”

“Yeah hyung, Roo needs her rest too” Mino added, not wanting to remove that salutation. 

Joongki chuckled, “alright, see you guys around. Return home safely.”

“Bye bye” the two of them waved, watching the car drove away.

After parting, the two boys ran home with their school bags over their head. 


*AHHH-CHOO* Roo sneezed while she was about to leave the house for school. She did really catch a flu from yesterday’s rain. However, it wasn’t that serious for her to miss school and training for the day. 

“So you did catch a flu huh? Told you to get your umbrella yesterday and you refused!” her brother scolded while coming out from his room, ready for work. “Come over and take your med before leaving for school.” 

“Arraso oppa” She sighed that she was caught. Taking the flu pills from her brother, as he watched her swallow the pills, he placed the back of his palm on his sister’s head to check her temperature. “Thank goodness you’re not having fever. It’s going to be a nasty day for you with your runny nose and all.”

“Alright oppa, I am going to be late” she frowned at his nagging. 

“Maybe you shouldn’t go to school today”

“Oppa, that’s enough. It really isn’t a big deal, I can attend school today”

Joongki ruffled Roo’s head, “Okay okay, come on, I will send you to school.”

The ride to school, Roo closed her eyes and rested. Joongki knew better than to disturb his sister and let her rest in peace. Her head was getting heavier as she was reaching the school. She wasn’t going to admit though, she was sure if she were to say it out loud, her brother would U-turn their way back home. 

“Hey, we’ve reached.” He lightly tapped on his sister to wake her up, “it seems like it’s a gloomy day today as well. You better not get caught in the rain again! I will pick you up from school later, just give me a call when you end okay.” Roo nodded, “And remember to take the pills after lunch today. Takecare of yourself a little bit more, Roo. Keep yourself warm.”

“Arraso Appa” she smiled cheekily. 

“Yah yah! Stop calling me appa.” Roo just returned a smiled and made her way to the school entrance. 


The whole day of lesson, Roo felt like she was burning, and she couldn’t focus in class. Laying her head on her arms, she felt like she was radiating heat. Bogum realised it too and he kept sneaking glances at her pale face. 
As the third lesson of the day ended, Bogum nudged Roo, “You look like , Roo”

“I know, I feel like too.” She mumbled and laid her head on the table, sniffling. Suddenly, she felt a cold hand placed on her own forehead, she shivered from the sensation a little and forced her eyes to open. 

“You are having a fever Roo, come on, let’s head to the infirmary” Bogum stood up and gently held onto both her shoulders to help her up. 

“I’ll be okay after a little rest” she held out her palm to stop him. “There’s no need to go to the infirmary” 

“Come on, it’s not the time to be stubborn now.” He forcefully held her up but not enough to hurt her. “let’s go”

Roo had no strength to argue with him and let him guide her to the infirmary. 


“Ssem, can you please take a look at her or give her some flu tablets?” Bogum placed Roo on the sick bed and rushed over to the school nurse. “She seems very unwell”

“Alright, let me just get this over” she closed the file that she was currently flipping through and went over to the sick bed. She had her medical equipment ready and checked on Roo. “She’s just having a slight fever, don’t worry about it. Take this pill, have a sleep and you will wake up feeling better. I will write a note to your teacher.” She assured bogum with a tap on his arm before leaving to process her notes. 

“You knew you were sick, yet you still came to school” he adjusted her cover. 

“I just got worse in school.” She argued. 

“Still!” he sighed, “Sleep. You will feel better”

“Alright alright. Don’t worry about me, you can return back to class first”

 “Nah, I find this a good excuse to skip class after a while” he cheekily smiled.

She gave him a pointed look and mumbled “whatever” she didn’t want to argue further as her head is throbbing, she adjusted herself to back facing him before she drifted off to dreamland.


Waking up to the sound of shuffling of feet before she peeled open her eyes. 
“She’s awake” 
“what are you guys doing here?” She attempted to sit up with the help of Joohyuk. “Thanks” The guys had came to ‘visit’ her, apparently it was already 5.15pm, she had overslept the training time by 15minutes. Bogum has forgotten to inform the team that Roo is sick till he got a call from the captain.

“Coach is not around, of course we took the chance to laze around” Minhyuk joked.

“I guess…a rest day isn’t so bad then” Roo said.

“Yeah Roo, a well-deserved rest day for you.” the captain, Woobin spoke, “but these guys, nope. They are going back for training.” Hearing no complains, he smiled proudly. Roo too, gave them a small smile. 

“Cut them some slack too, captain. Only for today. When I am well for next training, no more rest till the end of the league.” Echo of groans could be heard, “what do y’all expect? We are moving on to the 8th finals, so we have to work extra hard, understand?” 
“Understood!” they chorused.

“Great! Previously, Minho’s problem was tackled. Next up would be the vice cap.” She announced, receiving a shocked expression from the mentioned person. “During these 2 weeks of recess week, I aim to change all your bad habits and correct all your techniques.” 

“sure you can do that Roo, after you recover. What you need now is rest.” Chanyeol crossed his arms as if he said the most reasonable thing in the world. 
“Then get out, all of you.” she mimicked Chanyeol’s action, words directed to all of them but eyes only on Chanyeol, taunting him. “Theres like 2hours and 15 mins before training ends. Wake me up when you guys are leaving” she lied back, adjusting her covers before closing her eyes.