Chapter 1

The Team

“HEY GATHER UP!” The coach of team Whimoon hollered to gather their attention. It was the start of the zonal season games and Whimoon was up against the schools from the north zone.

Whimoon high school had a record of 24 winning and 3 losing in the last zonal game, making them the final championship team. The strongest MVP of that league goes to the honourable captain of their team, Karls Roo Ji hyun, in short, Roo.

Roo was in her 2nd last year of high school. She had been the team captain for her current team since the first year in the high school which was never the case in every other high school. Seniors were not very satisfied with that decision of the coach because nobody wants to be ordered by someone younger than them. Her juniors and friends envied her but she gave no dam to any of that. Captain was just a name to her. She is not going to contribute more nor less to the team, she is just going to be a team player. It was never easy for her to be a captain until when she reached her 2nd year, when most of her seniors had stepped down, her life merely became easier.

She held the position of point guard since middle school, being the best handler and passer, she safely secure that position in high school. Even when she was in her 1st year, she was put on court with all her seniors. Now that she is in her 2nd year, she was still the all star player every one of her teammates wish they were. Universities were already scouting and offering scholarships to her, but she had never given any thought about it.

Basketball was not her only forte, her academic left people in awed with being the top 5% in her school. Whimoon was an elite school for the academically inclined students yet she was able to climb up to the top 5% even with her busy training schedule. Most of the athletes came in with direct admission with their achievement in middle school as for Roo, she proudly admitted with her results as well as achievements.

She was never an extrovert nor was she really an introvert. She would converse to people but most of the time, she would rather keep to herself. Roo was a great teammate on court, a great captain but was never a good friend off court. They hardly ever see her around other than trainings.

This particular game was important to her because it was the toughest out of all the north zones school, Hyowon high school. Especially when their players had played foul, making three of their members injured the last season. She was not going to let her guard down because if she does, more of her teammates might get injured. It was their first game and they cannot risk it.

“Jinhee, EunSoo, Lia, Roo and Somin, you guys ready?”

“Yes coach” After getting their reply, he then began to explain his strategy in mind to the team, with the experienced players adding in comments here and there.

“Always remember, The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning. Understand?”

“YES COACH” They stood up, crowding together, putting all their hands in the middle. “Victory on three. 1, 2, 3!”

“VICTORY” The whole team shouted.

The game started with the tallest player, Eunsoo going upfront with the opponent for jump ball. She was fast enough to get the first ball, and with her quick reaction, she passed the ball to Jinhee, then to Roo, and Roo passed to Lia who was the shoot guard. They had gotten the first point for the game, making the audience cheered. Roo Hi-5-ed Lia for the good shoot and they complimented each other for the good passes.

The game went on and Whimoon was leading with the winning of the first quarter of the game. So far, they were in good condition but they could see the opposite team were putting all the freshmen to tire them out, so they didn’t give their all to prevent themselves from getting exhausted even before the 3rd quarter.

It was all well until they changed their senior players up, as expected by Whimoon coach.

“OFFENSE IS NO USE! DEFFENSE!” Coach shouted to Lia whom was trying to shoot. He knew about Hyowon’s style of playing and using offense would only gain foul for his own team.

Lia ignored her coach and dash her way out to shoot. Roo was trying to stop her but it was too late, she could see the opponent ready to make an offensive attack towards their shooting guard. The only thing Roo can do is to stop the opponent instead of Lia, so that Lia would not get hurt. She was familiar with Hyowon’s way of playing now.

Lia was in the mid-air for lay-up, and from the corner of her eyes, she could see the opponent sticking her knee out ready to attack her, she ignored and switched her focused back on the ball. She was waiting for the blow but she did not get any even after she successfully got the ball into the hoops. It was not Hyowon’s style. When her feet landed, she heard whistles signalling the pause of the game and she turned her head to the teammate, expected them to compliment her. To her surprise, she saw her captain lying on the ground, clasping onto her leg for life.

She ran to Roo with all her other members as well as the coach.

“Roo!” They shouted.

Roo was biting on to her lips, she almost heard a crack on her knee as she jumped in front of the opponent who tried to play foul on Lia. Paramedics rushed into the court to help Roo up, and to do pre examination on her knee.

She was hurting a lot but she kept a straight face, not letting her opponent notice the condition of her leg. After putting on a temporary support on her knee, she walked slowly to her coach, ignoring the warnings of the paramedics.

“Coach, please sub me in” She politely requested looking at the scoreboard. They were falling behind by 6points. Her coach turned his focus from the ongoing game to her.

“But your leg…”

“I am alright, sir” She insisted.

“Are you sure? Hyowon is not an easy opponent. They are playing dirty-“

“And they are good at it. That’s why the more I want to beat them” Roo cut her coach off.

After much consideration, he subbed out one of the player and put Roo in the game despite her injury. She was going to do her best even with her injury. She was going to do her best even in the last 4 minutes. Her opponent knew about her injury and they are attacking her aggressively even just 1 minute in to the game. She hid her injury well, cold sweats were forming on her forehead.

“Roo ah…Your knee…” Her teammates were worried about her.

 “Shh, the game has not ended yet” She shushed her teammates as to not make her opponent taking the chance to attack on her disadvantage.

She wiped away her sweat and ran to the person she was assigned to block. She was not going to back down easily.

She had the ball in her hand when two opponents came up to her. They were finding the blind spot, but before Roo could react, they already had her knees on the ground. One of them kneed her from her calf and another snatched her ball and swung it towards her face. She felt her muscles go numb. She struggled to regain her composure and went back to the game.

Her teammates on the bench were looking at her weirdly, as well as her coach. They were indeed good at playing dirty, they hid their fouls so well that not even the hundreds pair of eyes from the audience could spot. She dragged her left leg across the court. They were still 5points behind, and they were left with 45 seconds. She just needed 2 3-pointers to win.

Ignoring the spiteful pain, she ran with all her might to intercept the ball, catching the right timing of Lia at the three-point line, she gave a hard throw to her. She got what Roo was thinking and caught the ball, without wasting anytime, she shoots the ball to the hoop.
SoMin gave a friendly bump on her shoulder, telling her she did great.

2points. 29seconds. We cannot lose this game.  Roo thought.

The ball was now in the hand of the opponent. It was clear that they were playing defence now instead, waiting for the time to pass.

“OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE!” The coach chanted to the girls.

“JinHee!” Roo called out to the power forward, getting her attention. She signalled her to move to the right to intercept the ball from HyoWon’s player 5 to player 14. She got her captain’s instruction, JinHee ran in her fastest speed, just in time to catch the ball tossed out by player 5.

“Here!” Roo called out for JinHee so she would pass the ball to her. Without wasting anymore time, she threw the ball towards the direction of Lia once she caught the ball. Lia was currently blocked, and she was trying to dribble her way out to shoot. They were left with 10 seconds, to determine their win-lose.

EunSoo whom were the nearest to Lia, had successfully got rid of her blocker, and went to help Lia. With the help of EunSoo, Lia was able to successfully shoot the ball from her position.

And with that…

“CONGRATULATION TO THE ELITE TEAM, WHIMOON FOR WINNING THE FIRST ZONAL GAME, AND MAKING IT AN EYE OPENER FOR THE FIRST ONE!” The announcer shouted.

When the ball got in to the hoop, the game officially ended. Roo was able to let out her breath, and fell on to the ground. Her legs gave up on her. She could clearly see the swollen red patch on her knee and calve. She winced at the side.

“Great game cap” Lia was the first one that came to assist her. “You too shooting guard” She stood up with the help of Lia but she stumbled forward, that was went she realise, she couldn’t feel her left leg. She tried moving it but her left leg was not listening to her. Lia caught her in time and called out for her coach who was busying celebrating.
 

“What happened Roo!” He was about to reprimand her.

“Later coach, bring her to the locker room first”