Chapter 18

The Team

Slingshot Conditioning Drill - STACK

“Come over here if you’re done with your warm up.” As they all gradually gather after they are warmed, “Alright, I want to start conditioning drill as of today since competitions will start in 3 months’ time. Basketball is a tiring sport, and in every game, you need to have long endurance in order to win your opponent, so conditioning is very important. I will be introducing 2 conditioning drills for you, some of you might have heard of it before, its called SlingShot and The Basics. Take a look at this picture over here,” Roo raised an A3 size paper showing the instruction of the drill. “Firstly, 5 of you will start with Slingshot, follow the direction of the arrow here. From the baseline to the other end, complete within a minute, this should be easy for you guys. Each of you, will do 3 sets of these. All within 1minute, if there are a set that’s not within the goal, you will repeat.” She passed the A3 size paper to JongHyun, signalling that he will be the one doing Slingshot first.

“Next up, Rules for The Basics!17s require you to run from sideline to sideline 17 times in just over a minute. If you fail to complete 17, you must run a second set.You must step over each sideline; if you don't, the set doesn't count and must be run again after one minute. If a set is invalidated, it must be completed normally or it won't count. If you complete fewer than the 12 minimum crosses in the second set, rest one minute and run a third set. If you consistently complete 17 trips, increase your goal. Understand?”

“How to complete 17 times in a min?! that’s impossible” MinHyuk protested.

“If you believe, you can do it. if you can’t hit 17 times, its alright, do a minimum of 12times for now. However! Better not let me see you being lazy, give your best. If you can increase the number of times, that will be the best. Kim Woo Bin, you will start with Basics is that okay?”

“Yeah”

“Alright, choose your team, and start. Own time own target” As usual, WooBin and JongHyun would take lead, they were all used to the captain and vice-captain now, and they were beginning to listen to them, it was a nice scene to watch, because that was all about teamwork. Teamwork is a very funny thing to begin with. The two captains were sensible to always choose different teammates, and they knew that getting familiar with each other’s play style is significant. Roo was confident to say that everyone is eligible to play on court and there was no definite bench player anymore and she is proud of them. She is confident of the deal with Mr Park, she is going to bring them to the top.

“Oh Sehun! Don’t be lazy and touch the floor! You can do much better!” Roo frown at Sehun, but she could see him trying hard at his 3rd set.

After half an hour later, they all had refreshed and had stood around Roo for the next instruction. “Alright, how was it?”

“I’ve heard of The basics but SlingShot was hell, but it was something new. I kinda like it” JooHyuk admitted.

“I hope all of you are feeling great, we will be going into usual match. So let’s make this fas-“

“Make this fast and we will have a match with TongYeong’s last shall we?” Roo stopped her words and turned her attention to the familiar voice. Similarly, all her players turned their head to the source of the voice to find 7 boys standing at the entrance of the hall.

Roo was lost for words, she didn’t expect them to be here, she wasn’t ready. Her mind was in a mess right now. Some of her players turned to look at her to see her turn pale. WooBin was casting a worried look at her. She was trembling, her heart was pounding fast. What are they here for? What are they going to do? Are they here for her? Are they going to humiliate her in front of her players or were they here to bring her back? She didn’t have the courage to look at them, she held her gaze on the ground.

On the other hand, they were happy to see Roo here yet ChanWoo felt betrayed that Roo didn’t contact him. He had the urge to run over to her though, but he controlled himself. The hall was filled with tensed atmosphere. Roo was not being herself, she looked lost, she looked like she wanted to hide somewhere. As if Woobin heard her, he’s instinct told him to go in front of her. She was too busy worrying to notice he did that.

“How about a match huh Richmond?” Bobby said with taunting voice.

“I am sorry but outsiders are not allowed in this hall, please leave before we kick your assess out” Woobin snarled with hostility.

“Chill man, we are not here for a fight. We are just here for a friendly match. Come on, we are the champion and you have the honour to play with us, aren’t you supposed to feel grateful?” JunHoe’s turn to speak, with so much ego added in his sentences.

“Roo…” ChanWoo finally opened his mouth. It made Roo’s ear to perked up. All the flashbacks of her ex-teammates came back live and fresh in her mind. “You’re really here”

That was Hanbin’s plan. That day after they saw Richmond’s basketball team, he had called his team to TongYeong. His plan was to give Richmond a surprise visit to check if Roo was their coach, and with the excuse of a friendly match with them. He respected Rooand thought that Roo was supposed to be with Whimoon and not Richmond, also, it was because of ChanWoo.

Chanwoo took small steps towards Roo who were still behind Kim Woo Bin. The other Whimoon players bring themselves to the bench while the Richmond’s player stood protectively around their Coach.

Not knowing what was happening, as clueless as it is, “Why so serious guys, it’s a great opportunity to play with the champion!” Sehun strikes. He detached himself from the team and ran towards theWhimoon team, not sensing the tension. His teammates could only sigh, that was the  sehun we are talking about.

“All of you look so handsome and delicate, how can y’all get champion!”

“What the hell Oh Sehun, stop with all your ” JongHyun shouted at Sehun.

“Hyung, Kim HanBin is my role model! And ohmygosh, he’s here!” Sehun was so excited that YunHyeong laughed at him.

Roo let out a breath and walked away from the group, which ChanWoo followed shortly and caught her arms. Woo Bin and Bogum was about the run over and stop Chanwoo but they were stopped by HanBin first. “Hey, they have a lot to catch up, he won’t hurt her. Trust me. Give them a chance to talk, it’s been months.”

“Noona.” His voice filled with so much sorrow. Roo could feel her breath getting heavier and faster. “why didn’t you tell me you’re leaving?” She didn’t dare meet his eyes.

“Why did you come here” So cold, so hostile.

“To look for you ofcourse.”

“Just go back to Seoul”

“Not without you”

“I am not going back there Chanwoo”

“Then I am not too, I might just transfer to Richmond and play for you”

“Quit being stubborn Jung ChanWoo!” Guilt was eating her up once again, seeing ChanWoo’s eyes.

“Roo, i thought we were friends, I thought you can trust me. But you didn’t bother to tell me, do you know that I have been going everywhere to look for you? I cared for you, I know you would’ve thought no one cared, but I cared.” Roo’s eyes watered, “You were the one that brought me to where I am now, you are the sister I never had, you were my dear noona that I am always grateful for.” Roo opened but nothing came out. “Come back with me huh?”

“now is not the right time Chanwoo, I am not ready yet. Not ready to face them, in fact, I am not ready to face you.” Chanwoo looked at her confusedly, “guilt was eating me up every time I thought of you. I thought you would hate me, I…I don’t know how to face anyone. Because I can’t play basketball anymore…” Tears flowed down her face.

“Not being able to play basketball is not embarrassing. You’ve done great so far. How many girls out there can’t play basketball? ¾ of the girls population, Roo.”

“They had expectations! Because I did well, their expectation grew higher. It hurts so much to see their disappointed eyes directed towards me.” She wiped her tears, “and it wasn’t like you don’t know what my team felt about me, right? Who knows you might’ve been the contributions to some of the negative comments too.”

“How can you say that! I will never do that to you Roo. Trust me” He was begging her to trust him.

“I don’t deserve it, just leave.”

“Please just stop pushing me away.” He spoke softly.

I push people away. That’s my thing. So stay away from me before I hurt you again” She wiped her tears and return back to the court. Unknowingly, they had stopped outside the hall as they were talking. She was surprised to see Richmond playing with Whimoon, and surely, they were lacking behind, but not by a lot. Smiles were plastered on their faces. Whimoon was enjoying as much as Richmond, and she could see how enjoyed Richmond were. She was glad to see that Whimoon was coaching Richmond along the way. This was what she played basketball for didn’t she? When she saw her dad enjoying his time in court, that was what made her want to join basketball.

“You were like them when you were having friendly with us. What happened to you Roo?”

“We respected each other, we learn from each other. But my team was never like that, they hated me, they want me gone. They just want to take over my position and trample over me. They want to watch me fall.” Chanwoo held on to Roo’s shoulder, looking into his eyes made her felt so relieve, and all her emotions just gushed out. Tears once again started flowing. “I’m tired of pushing everyone away. I’m tired of being alone. I just want someone who cares. Why can’t I get just such simple things? I’m tired of dramas, I’m just really tired.” She sobbed as ChanWoo pulled her into an embrace.

“You have me noona, don’t worry” He patted her head. Relieve washed over him, he had finally found Roo, safe and sound, well technically, except her broken leg.

“You guys good?” HanBin asked as the both of them strolled towards them. They both nodded, he smiled.  “You taught them well” Roo didn’t speak and just kept her eyes glued at the ones on court. “I watched their games last season, and I was sure they are going to fall behind. Only 2 months have passed, how did you do it?”

“They are like you guys, their passion for basketball is beyond words and that was what makes everything easier. People thought of them as delinquents. 3months back, I would’ve thought so too, but they proved me wrong. They were all like you guys. They have potential, they are hard working. They just need someone to push them, someone to guide them. They are just…boys” Hanbin nodded silently to what Roo was saying.

“Noona! Are you starting to like them more than me?!” ChanWoo childishly scolded, gaining a laughter from HanBin. ChanWoo forcefully hugged Roo tightly, “I missed you a lot though, noona”

“Let go of me you giant baby”

“Don’t want to” Chanwoo stuck out his tongue. “OOF-“ Roo elbowed him causing him to stumble away. Honestly, missed him a lot too, but she was never going to admit it. “You are so mean!”

“Shut up”

“HMPF! I am going to the hyungs” He crossed his arms like a kid throwing tantrum and stomped over. Roo shook her head with slight smile.

“That boy, seriously missed you a lot, Roo” She turned her head to Hanbin, “Everything he does, he would mention you. Every point of his emotion, he thought of you. ChanWoo, he’s too attached to you.” Hanbin focused his vision on the mentioned boy. “He’s still young, the fact that his parents are always not around, he had relied on you too much.”

“He has to grow up one day, he can’t always rely on me. I am not someone he can rely on. I, I am not the right person”

“What I am saying is, ChanWoo needs you. As an older sister that takes care of him, a bestfriend that he can share things with, a senior that he can learn from, and most importantly, a mentor that can help him pursue his dreams.”

“You can be that person too, Hanbin. What are you trying to do, telling me all these?”

“I just wish to, even with a teeny little bit of hope, bring you back to Whimoon.” He heard a deep sigh coming from Roo, “if you can’t do that, at least, let us be here for you, Richmond, when you needed help. Or at least, allow ChanWoo to be here when he wants” He looked at Roo, giving what he said a thought, consideration. “Honestly, the team wants to have a game with Richmond, someone that is brought up by our very Champion.”

“Are you being a softie right now, counterpart? Well, you certainly can do that. They would love to”

“Confident?”

“In what? Winnning?” She snickered. “They can’t beat you, but they can learn from all of you. We are talking about Kim HanBin here,”

HanBin let out a hearty laugh. They two teams turned their head to the two crackerjack. It was rare to see Roo smile and it was even more difficult to see HanBin laugh.

“Is that our captain there?” Yunhyung asked, bewildered.

“The same goes for Roo man” Mino came by YunHyung’s side.