chapter 17

The Team

I get jealous easily because what mine is mine. I was simply guarding myself.Roo thought to herself, reasoning with herself. Why are you always being a loser?Chanyeol’s words rung in her mind. She did understand that he was trying to be nice, putting it in a harsher way to tell her they didn’t want her to push them away but it just doesn’t get through her.

Her mood was down and she was feeling uncomfortable for making theirs down also. It wasn’t supposed to be this way. “URG WHATEVER!” She stood up and walked back to where she came from, towards Cofioca. She couldn’t understand herself. She thought she didn’t do anything wrong but her heart brought her feet to where she is now, infront of her basketball players.

“Roo? Isn’t that Roo?” Mino pointed towards the familiar back view of their coach outside Cofioca. She was contemplating whether to go in or not. She felt embarrassed and didn’t have the courage to go in. She jumped when someone bumped on to her shoulder.

“Why…are you here?” ChanYeol said awkwardly. The guys had pushed him out to Roo when they realise that backview was indeed their coach. Woobin had to drag him out of his seat to make him go out and meet Roo.

“Well… you invited me didn’t you?” Roo said as if it was a fact, well it was. Silence followed by after that sentence.

“I…”

“I…” They both started at the same time.

“Go ahead” ChanYeol, being the man, gave Roo the opportunity to speak up first.

She bit her lip.

“if you are not going to say anything then I will start first. I am sorry alright” ChanYeol took up the courage and apologized first, Roo’s eyes widened, she didn’t expect that. She thought he was angry. “I shouldn’t be so harsh and so… rude.”

Roo nodded. “I am sorry too” She whispered.

“We good now?”  Well, that was fast. “honestly, why are we upset over small matters like this right? Roo?” ChanYeol joked.

“Yeah. If you’re good, then I shall get going” She turned to leave but ChanYeol grabbed onto her elbow and pulled her into the bubble tea shop. “What are you doing!”

“You can’t just leave like that. We’re good means the deal is still on, you are hanging out with us”

“We didn’t make any deal. Let go of me” To be honest, Roo didn’t mind hanging out with them. It’s just that she felt embarrassed over the incident, she had her ego too.

“At least have a drink with us. Come on, what do you want to drink? My treat” He pushed her to the seat between Bogum and Yugyeom. The most awkward seat ever. “I recommend the Earl grey milk tea! Is that okay with you?” Without even waiting for Roo’s reply, he went on and order the drink.

“So you and ChanYeol good?” The captain asked.

“I guess” She played with her fingers under the table. The others continued their conversations without interruptions.

“Here’s your drink Roo!” Why was ChanYeol so excited again. As if nothing happened, he went back to his seat.

He had changed a lot in that 2 months, especially after he had that talk with Roo. He became more cheerful and he was the most talkative one out of the 10 of them.

“Thanks”

“Hey Roo” A soft voice called out to her left, sipping her bubble tea, she turned her attention to the voice.

“Hmm?”

“Honestly, about the conversation just now. We… don’t hate you. you should stop being so insecure about yourself.” Bogum spoke so softly that she was sure only she could hear him. Roo nodded in acknowledgment.

“that guy looks familiar, right?” all the attentions were turned towards the tall guy that had just entered the café, apart from Roo who were just sipping her drinks. “I am sure he’s from some top basketball teams, I definitely saw him in some games” Sehun pointed out.

“Roo! Do you happen to know him?”

“Who?” Roo turned her head before trying to recognise the backview that she felt so familiar yet couldn’t comprehend. “I don’t kn-“ As if something struck her, her eyes grew wide, as the guy’s sideview came in sight. Chanwoo?!

“You know him?” As if directed, they turned their attention to her at once.

“No, I don’t, I am going to the washroom” She stood up, carefully not making it a loud that might catch ChanWoo’s attention. Why is he here? Did he found out because of my mistakes for bringing them to Hyonam for friendly?

“I’m sure she knows him” Mino’s unwanted comment.

“Hi, are you guys from Richmond?” Chanwoo approached the group of them.

“Yeah, you have any issue?” being the captain, he was somehow bound to speak up when the whole group is together.

“Hey chill, I am not here to cause any trouble, it’s just that” he paused and looked at all the 10 of them, “I am from whimoon basketball team”

“I knew it! I knew I saw him in one of the top game” Sehun exclaimed with triumph but was shushed by JongHyun.

“Whimoon?” The rest except for Sehun, gave a knowing look at each other, which was caught by Chanwooo.

“Do you guys… happen to know Roo? Karls Roo.”

“Roo?”

“You know her? I’ve heard a few rumours going about, that she’s coaching your team here”

“Roo-“ JooHyuk wanted to answer but was cut off by his captain.

“She’s not coaching us. Oh man, how did you get that idea that she’s coaching us? How is that possible, we are Tongyeong’s last place, why would such rumour be spread.” Woobin’s acting could’ve gotten him a trophy. He knew there were something wrong when he watched Roo leaving for the toilet with that expression. However, it was not known by the others, they were giving him the what-the- look. His face was determined and showing no hint of joke, so they kept quiet.

“I saw pictures of her with you guys though, how is that not possible?’ ChanWoo insisted, bringing out his phone to show them.

“That must’ve been a mistake, it’s probably my girlfriend in the photo. Why would she come all the way to Tongyeong?”

“Please, if you guys know where she is, just tell me. She must’ve told you to keep it a secret for her, but her whereabouts meant a lot to me.”

“Then you should be looking for her elsewhere instead of bothering us. Look here kid, honestly, I would wish that she’s coaching us, she hot, she smart and good in basketball, I would probably drop my girlfriend for her. I would wish she’s here but she’s not, sadly” Woobin made a face and smirked, while his friends were still displeased.

“Don’t talk about Roo like that if you don’t know her. Come on Chanwoo, let’s go elsewhere” Hanbin came and slung his arms over ChanWoo’s shoulder, leading him out.

Unknowingly, Roo was watching them at the entrance of the washroom. It was a blindspot for them so they couldn’t see her, but she could see and hear them clearly.

She was thankful for Woobin for lying, she didn’t know how he caught on so fast but she was grateful. Nonetheless, the guilt was eating her up. She felt bad for ChanWoo, he looks so hopeless at that moment. After watching the pair walk out of Cofioca, Roo walked back to the table, pretended that nothing had happened.

“What the hell Kim Woobin?! What did you just say about Roo?!” JongSuk socked his friend.

“What about me? Come on, We all have school tomorrow, it’s quite late now, we should go if we don’t want to oversleep tomorrow morning.” Roo took her bag, waiting for them to stand up.

“I will walk Roo home, you guys can head home first”WooBin initiated.

“Why are you walking me home?” She questioned, giving him a sceptical look.

“Or do you want Yugyeom to walk you?”

“Well no thanks” He noticed that she was uncomfortable with the giant kid, because he’s always so quiet and so cold. They had almost the same character and when they are together, they almost don’t converse. “I don’t need anyone to walk me home, I can do that myself”

“Quit whining” Roo gave him an unbelievable look before she was pulled by Woobin in an opposite direction from the rest. Roo pulled her arm away and walked ahead. A moment later, Woobin ran up and strolled beside her.

“Whimoon” that caught Roo’s attention, “that kid was from there” She knew perfectly well who Woobin was talking about.

“huh?”

“You were from whimoon, I am sure you know that kid. That’s why you left when you saw him, right?”

“so this was what the walk is about?”

“I just wanted to check on you okay. You seemed affected” he sounded genuinely caring for Roo.

“It’s been 2 months, I should be alright, you don’t have to do that”

“You should but you’re not. Roo, I saw you watching from the washroom, you care about him a lot don’t you?” Roo was caught. What was she supposed to say now? “And I know you heard our conversation. I shouldn’t say that about you, I hope you understand.”

“I know you were trying to help me Woobin, I don’t blame you. thank you for helping me thought” She offered a small smile.

“That kid, he cares a lot for you, why are you avoiding him?”

“I’m home, thank you for walking me home. Get home fast, see you in school tomorrow” Roo escaped fast. Woobin sighed. You still can’t open up to us huh.

“Hanbin hyung, do you think they really don’t know Roo? They seem like that do though, or was it only me who felt this way?” ChanWoo felt dejected while waking back to the temporary staying place in TongYeong with Hanbin. It was Whimoon’s stay home week, so they had taken time to travel when they heard the rumour of Roo coaching Richmond.

“I don’t believe them. Don’t worry ChanWoo, we will find her alright.”

“Hyung, I miss Roo a lot. Why do her teammates hate her so much? She such a great senior, and she taught me so much, not only basketball and academically, but I am who I am now thanks to her. Her teammates should be the ones leaving, not Roo.” Hanbin patted the younger man, he knew how much Roo had helped ChanWoo. ChanWoo was at the bottom of both academic and basketball wise, even though he got a direct admission with his basketball skills, but in Whimoon, he was still the last. He was glad Roo accepted the offer to help Chanwoo. She did more than she was told. Whenever he needed help, she would come to his mind without any hesitation, she would help without thinking twice. ChanWoo was too kind and was often bullied by his mates but Roo would stand up for him. She was so cold on the outside, but the Roo to ChanWoo, was a ball of warmth, she was so much of a sister to him.

“Don’t worry ChanWoo, I promise to help you alright” Hanbin had a plan in mind that he thought might work out.