Chapter 7

The Team

After they had signed and is ready for the training, they stood around Roo to see what she has to say. They weren’t very happy though.

“Like I said, every minute you are late, you will do suicide. Time check, 5.45. to the base line!” The 10 of them were groaning and whining, making Roo annoyed. “save your energy used to whine and groan for suicides. TO THE BASE LINE!” the ran to the base line as asked and started running suicides.

“How many are we going to do, dude?” A sharp feature guy asked while running

“call me Roo, or coach”

“How many suicides are we going to do, Roo?”

“Let’s see, how many you can do in 45 minutes” Earning a number of groaning from them again.

“STOP GROANING, ARE YOU BABIES?”


“Oh my gosh, I thought my thigh tore” JooHyuk complained to Park Bo Gum who was also having difficulty walking.

“What does that woman think she is. Isn’t she a student from our school?”

“yeah she is, Min Ho. She’s in Bogum’s class” Joohyuk stated.

“WHAT?! SHE IS YOUNGER THAN ME?! AND I HAVE TO LISTEN TO ALL HER ?! EVEN THOUGH SHE’S THE MVP, I AM NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO A GIRL.” Mino exclaimed.

They were walking to class the next morning. For a manly image, the basketball team sure whine a lot.

Roo had just reached the school compound and she was glad she was finally off the hook of JoongKi. He had been nagging her for the whole morning for going home late the night before.

Heading off to her locker, she held herself steady with the help of the locker door and placed her clutches beside where she’s standing. She was having a problem balancing herself as well as her pile of textbooks.

Watching the scene before him, JooHyuk ran over to help Roo.

“Hey Roo, let me help you” Roo look up to the 190 male in front of her, surprised.

“It’s alright, Joohyuk, thank you” She politely rejected and closed her locker.

“She’s almighty, joohyuk. She won’t need your help, she can handle it, right coach.” Bo Gum sarcastically said while emphasizing on the word coach, before passing by Roo and bumped her. Luckily, she was holding on to the locker for support. He wasn’t very pleased with her after yesterday’s incident. Well, in fact, other than JooHyuk who seemed less annoyed, others did not even show her a slightest bit of respect to Roo. They were prime and proper during the training, but however, the second she announced that the training has ended, their rebellious side showed up. No one bother helping her with all her stuff even when she had difficulty walking. They even bumped onto her on purpose, all she did, was tolerate. Since they are going to see each other more now, she’s just going to ignore them.

Mino followed bogum after, JooHyuk gave her a sympathetic look before leaving after them.

It’s okay Roo, another month and you will be free off from this bulky thing and no more insult from them. She closed her eyes and breathe in.

On her way to class, a guy came up and blocked her way. From what she remembered, he was part of the basketball team.

“You need something?”

“During training, you are my coach. Now off training, I am your senior.” Roo gave him an uninterested look. “You” he pointed at her, “respect me” He smirked.

She don’t get him, why is he being so childish.

“Make me” She ignore him and limped past him.

He grabbed onto her elbow and she halted.

“I will, don’t challenge me” His grip tightened. “You think we are scared of you”

“No, never thought that way, but if you insist that you are scared of me, then I have no say”

“Scared of what? May you repeat? Scared of you?” He smirked, “I am supposed to be scared of you? dude I scared of nobody”

“Okay I get it, now get your hands off me” She signalled him with her chin.

“Watch out, woman” He whispered in her ears before leaving her alone.

She didn’t expect it was so difficult for her to be in Richmond. Maybe that is why everyone is looking down on Richmond. She wasn’t going to judge so fast.


“Hey new student.” A girl in her class called her, she gave her her attention. If she didn’t bother finding out her name, she isn’t going to find out hers too. “I saw you talking to JongHyun earlier, do you happen to be very close with him?”

“No”

“what a ” She didn’t expect that coming. All she said was ‘no’ and she became a , caused her to roll her eyes.

Since she was the coach of the basketball team, it gave her the permission to enter the basketball gym as and when she like, since she was holding on to the key. During lunch, she found that to be a good hideout for her. She wasn’t exactly hungry, so she went there straight away. She needed some ‘me’ time anyway.

Brought her earphones with her, she dragged herself to the gym room.

Plugging in, she played the music and started scrolling through her phone. She searched for ‘Whimoon’ out of curiosity and many news came out. To say she didn’t miss them any bit was a lie. She does miss them. Richmond was not her type of school, after living in Whimoon, she just can’t get use to Richmond. Although she never had real friends in Whimoon, she was at least much happier. There was Lia, and Chan woo. She didn’t even tell them she had left, she wanted to do it after she found something else in her life other than being a basketball player. For now, she hasn’t.

Scrolling through the page, she saw the news of Whimoon losing to unexpected team. They were still at the top of the list but they had lost a few games that they were not supposed to lose. She was proud of Lia though, it was her first season being a captain anyway. There were photos of her with glum face, even when the others were celebrating their wins. It reminds her so much of herself. While they were celebrating their wins, all she could think of was what they haven’t do well. Lia was like a carbon copy of herself, Lia was always asking her what she thought of the game, and they would end up sharing their thoughts.

She saw pictures of the Whimoon male basketball team as well, and she suddenly felt that she missed Chan Woo, guilt washed over her for not telling him about her departure. He looked up to her a lot and she knows it.

The following news was on her. She clicked open out of curiosity.

Leaving of a Legend. Was it for good or was it to hide?

The paragraph under the title made her heart drop. Never would she thought her teammates would say that. She didn’t expect them to be that bad. She swallowed her saliva and read on.

“She was never a good captain nor friend. She always wanted things to go her way. Our new captain is so much better”

“I thought her departure was a good one”

“Maybe she realised that nobody like her, so she left”

“She figured out she needed some reflection”

 Her phone was snatched away from her before she could continue. The guy- whom she remembered as Kim WooBin, sat down beside her. Her ear plug fell off from the impact.

“You don’t have a great life too huh” She snatched back her phone and kept in her pocket.

“You are not supposed to be here, this compound is out of bound during curriculum hour” she avoided his question on purpose.

“I have been here for the past 2 years, nobody cares” he spoke word by word, calmly, “What about you? it’s lunch time”

“none of your business”

“Look, I don’t care if you are our coach or whatsoever, you won’t be able to survive in this team. Just give up. We are a bunch of delinquents. Most importantly, we all don’t like you” ouch, that hurts

“Well, if that’s not clear enough, I don’t like any of you neither.”

“Sharp tongue. I saw what you are reading there. Believe it or not, I watched your games, and I have to admit, you are good. Those words don’t define who you are, just ignore them” She gave her attention to him. A spark of hope flew through her eyes before it got smacked right away. “if I may suggest you to just leave us alone. Before all those happen again” He was referring to those words her previous team said to her. Realising that she was not going to say anything, he stood up and left the gym room after saying what he was going to say.

She just didn’t understand what they were thinking. The team will be closed, its just the matter of time. At least, if they have someone to guide them now, at least there will still be a tiny bit of hope to keep this team. Don’t they all love basketball?