My entire world

One Chance

Raising his hands up high so that the petite Ji Eun would not be able to reach her phone, Taemin read the text. When he realised that Ji Yeon was only exaggerating about Dongho being Ji Eun's boyfriend, he tossed the phone away and Ji Eun dived to get it. "So, if he's not your boyfriend, what is your relationship with him?" Taemin eyed her with suspicion. "Well, as I said earlier, we're just-" Ji Eun started, only to get interuppted again by Taemin as he bombarded her with question after question. "How did you meet him? How long have you known him? How old is he? What's his blood type? What's his star sign?"

Ji Eun backed away laughing. "Woah, woah. Chill, dude. We're only friends, it's fine. Besides, he's a really nice guy. Alright?"

"She's right, perhaps I was a little too harsh," thought Taemin as he sank into his seat and pretended nothing had happened. He felt his cheeks become hotter and hotter, and covered his face with his textbook. "Damn," he mumbled. "That was embarrassing."

The room was filled with laughter and joy as the old folks clapped and cheered. Since it was Chuseok, the volunteers had decided to put up a performance for the old folks. Everyone applauded as Ji Eun walked into the circle formed by the old folks, holding her signature pink guitar. She dragged a chair towards her, took a seat and smiled. The very first strum of the guitar had everyone fixed onto Ji Eun's performance. Her sweet, melodious voice caused everybody to fall completely in love with her singing, Dongho included. Taemin rolled his eyes in disgust as he saw Dongho almost salivating over his best friend, and tried to keep his focus on Ji Eun instead. "하나부터 열까지 다 널 위한 소리~" Ji Eun sang. "Ah, she's so cute," Dongho said unconsciously. Hearing what Dongho had muttered, Jiyeon nudged Luna, who giggled in reply.

After her performance, as if by clockwork, Ji Eun stood up, gave a big grin, and skipped away. "How was I?" Ji Eun asked cheerfully as she walked towards her friends. "Wonderful," Dongho replied, as he surprised Ji Eun with a big hug. Jiyeon, Luna and Taemin stared in shock. Ji Eun was at a loss, she didn't know whether to return the hug or to push Dongho away, hence she just stood there, stunned. As Luna whispered something inaudible to Jiyeon, Taemin was rooted to the ground, his face expressionless.

"You two are just too cute, you should get together already!" laughed Luna as she messed up Ji Eun's hair. Her face reddened as she replayed the moment in her head, how Dongho had hugged her in front of all her friends. "Yeah, yeah, whatever," retorted Taemin, a sullen look on his face. He pulled his hood over his face, frowning. "Aigoo, what's wrong?" asked Jiyeon mischeviously. "Could it be... that you're jealous?" Taemin held up a clenched fist and shouted, "WHAT?! OF THAT IDIOT?! NO!! NOT AT ALL!" Then, Taemin took off, running as fast as he could, away from the rest of the group. "What's his problem?" Luna asked, curious.

"Taemin-ah! Please clean up your room! I swear, I haven't seen you pack anything in there since three years ago!"

"Okay, I'll do it immediately," said Taemin quietly. Obediently, Taemin started to clear up a bunch photo albums he found on his table-they had been lying there for quite some time. He briskly flipped through the pages when he came across a certain picture which caught his eye. It was a photograph of Ji Eun and himself, with their arms over each others' shoulders. They were smiling so happily. "Why can't she see that we're perfect for each other..?" A tear escaped his eye as all the times he had spent with Ji Eun flashed through his mind.

Taemin's mum walked into his room, expecting to see a neat and tidy room, but instead, she saw the room in the same state. Taemin was fast asleep, burying his head beneath his arms. "Sheesh, I told him to pack his room, not to visit Dreamland," she thought as she tapped on Taemin's shoulder. "Mmrfh. He doesn't deserve you," mumbled Taemin. "YAH! LEE TAEMIN!" screamed his mother at the top of her lungs. Taemin awoke with a start, revealing his tear-stained face. "Your friend's coming over for a visit. She says it's urgent. Pack your room before she arrives, okay?" nagged his mother. Taemin nodded.

 

"All done," Taemin huffed as looked around him, satisfied at his clean room. Just at that moment, the doorbell rang. Taemin ran downstairs hurriedly and opened the door. To his disappointment, the person standing at his doorstep wasn't who he had expected to be. "Hey," greeted Jiyeon. Taemin glared at her, obviously surprised by her sudden visit. "What? Didn't your mum tell you that I was coming?" Jiyeon laughed and invited herself in, shutting the door behind her. "Of course," Taemin knocked himself on the head. "How stupid of me to think that Ji Eun would visit me."

"What do you want?" Taemin asked coldly as Jiyeon bounced up and down on Taemin's bed. Jiyeon eyed Taemin. "Hmm... You like Ji Eun, don't you?" Immediately, Taemin's face reddened. "I told you, I don't! I'm just concerned about her." Jiyeon playfully slapped Taemin's back. "Aw, come on! Luna and I have been your best friends since young, we know you inside out! Besides, it's so obvious."

"Is it... really that obvious?" Taemin stuttered. Jiyeon smirked. "Yup, only idiots like Ji Eun won't realise it, she's too busy thinking about her darling..." Fury engulfed Taemin again as he thought of Dongho. "Look, I must win Ji Eun's heart. I don't care what it takes. I won't allow Ji Eun to go out with that bastard!" Shocked, Jiyeon backed away. "Woah, why are you so worked up? It was only a hug!"

"Because," Taemin said as he sank into his chair. "Because for that one moment, he held my entire world!"