Lovesick

One Chance

"I'm ruined," sobbed Ji Eun. "I'm obssessed with someone who doesn't even know my name!"

Gazing at her worksheet with Dongho's name written all over it, she sighed and buried her face in her hands. Just then, the school bell rang. Ji Eun grabbed her bag and staggered out of her classroom, her head bowed and her hair covering her face. She dragged herself out of school and towards the bus stop.

Using her finger, Ji Eun traced out the words 'Dong Ho' on the glass window of the bus. She thought again of how Dongho had helped her up and smiled. Her daydream was interrupted by the sudden ringing of her phone. "Yeoboseyo?" she answered. "Hey! Ji Eun! Do you mind coming over to the old folks' home to help out this weekend?" "Finally, something to get my mind off Dongho," she thought, and grinned slightly. "Sure. I'll be there."

"Always glad to help, Mrs Lee. How are you today?" Ji Eun asked with a beaming smile plastered to her face. Helping out at the old folks' home always made her happy. "Ji Eun? Could you come over here for a second? I want to introduce you to somebody I think you should know!" called one of the old folks.

"Yes?" Ji Eun asked, curious about what Mr Park was up to. He always had some tricks up his sleeve. "Ji Eun-ah, see that guy over there?" Mr Park asked with a smirk as he pointed at someone whose back was facing them. "He's my godson, have you met him before?" Ji Eun gasped as Mr Park's godson turned around, revealing his face. It was Dongho.

Ji Eun's face immediately turned into a deep pink as she turned around in embarrassment. "What's the matter, Ji Eun?" Mr Park chortled. "Ah, nothing," Ji Eun spun around to face Mr Park again, but instead, she got the shock of her life. Dongho was standing right in front of her. "Aish, you almost gave me a heart attack!" she blurted out and immediately covered with her hand when she realised how stupid she had sounded. Dongho laughed slightly, making Ji Eun melt slightly on the inside. "She's cute," he thought. "Aww, you two look perfect for each other," said Mr Park, winking at them. "This is Dongho," he continued, slapping Dongho on the back. Dongho glared at Mr Park and mouthed, "You owe me big time."

"Now, I shall take my leave," Mr Park said as he picked up his walking stick and made his way to another corner of his room, where he started chatting with the other old folks.

"Uh, hi?" Dongho greeted Ji Eun awkwardly and put his hand at the back of his head. "This is weird, I feel like I've met her before," Dongho remembered. Ji Eun stared at him for a few seconds. "Does he really not recognise me?" Her eyes began to water. "Oh yes! You're that girl that bumped into me the other day!" Dongho suddenly exclaimed. Ji Eun's frown turned into a smile as she smiled and answered shyly, "Yeah. Sorry about that." From then on, their conversation flowed on smoothly, as if they had known each other for a long time.

 


" Hey, it looks like it's gonna rain, remember to bring a umbrella or you'll catch a cold~ "

Ji Eun blushed and smiled. "How sweet of him," she mumbled. Ji Yeon glanced at Ji Eun, gigling at her phone. She knew that something fishy was going on. "Yah, what are you doing?" Ji Yeon demanded and snatched Ji Eun's phone from her hands. She read the text aloud while Luna and some other friends listened. "Give it back!" shrieked Ji Eun as she scampered around trying to get her phone back. At that moment, Taemin strolled into the room and all the girls, except Ji Eun and her clique, cooed. "Hi Taemin oppa!" they called. Taemin smiled and waved at them, then cooly strided towards Ji Eun. "Hey, what's up?"

"The ceiling," Luna said dryly. Taemin ignored her and asked Ji Yeon, "What are you guys getting so excited about?" he asked as he snatched Ji Eun's phone away from her hands and returned it to Ji Eun. "Ji Eun has a boyfriend~" Ji Eun blushed and screamed, "YAH!! What are you even talking about! He is NOT my boyfriend! We're just fri-" Taemin interrupted her explaination as he exclaimed, "WHAT?!" He snatched the phone back from Ji Eun. "Aish! You guys!" Ji Eun shrieked in frustration.