That's just how life's like

One Chance

"Eunnie! Could you run to the convenience store and get me a pack of cigarettes?"

Ji Eun groaned and hollered back, " But Dad! Can't you see I'm busy? Besides, smoking's bad for you!".

"Don't you argue with me, young lady. The convenience store is just two blocks away! You need the exercise anyway, you lazy ," retorted her father.

Rolling her eyes, Ji Eun gets up from her seat and walks over to her father. He looked much older than his real age, with his balding head and his protruding potbelly. He held out a $20 note. Ji Eun snatched it from him, shooting him a disgusted look.

"He's just so annoying," complained Ji Eun to her best friend, Taemin. "He cares more for his TV programmes than for the family. He's so lazy, he has to rely on others to help him do things. Sometimes I wonder how my mother even fell for him."

Taemin grinned as he patted Ji Eun on the head. "Well, you just have to forgive him for that. I know how much you despise your parents and how mean they are to you, but no matter what, they are your parents. The ones who gave you your life, and the ones who brought you up. Without them, you wouldn't exist."

Ji Eun thought for a while, then replied, "Oh well, I guess you're right. I should be more appreciative. Hey, by the way, are you free on Thursday? I was thinking we could go to the Old Folks' Home to help out, with the Jiyeon and Luna." Taemin smiled again. "Sure."

Two days later, Ji Eun was at the Kirrin Old Folks' Home, waiting for her friends to arrive. Staring at her watch and pacing around, she mumbled to herself, "Where are they? They should have been here long ago!" Out of the blue, she bumped into something, or rather, someone, and the next thing she knew, she had collapsed on the floor. "Uhh, are you okay?" Ji Eun looked up to see a well-built guy standing before her, his cap covering his eyes. Stunned, Ji Eun stayed rooted to the ground, giving a nervous smile. "I guess so." The guy bent down and reached for her hand and as he did so, his cap fell off. Ji Eun took one glance at his face and was rendered speechless. He was the most good-looking guy she had ever seen besides Taemin. "Oh, thank you. I'm fine," stuttered Ji Eun.