Frozen in Time

Seal of Dark Fate

CHAPTER NINE

Frozen in Time


 

 

YOONGI’S EYEBROWS SHOT up when he saw a familiar pair of sneakers on their shoe rack. Kicking his basketball shoes off, he proceeded to their living room where he saw his sister, Jungkook and…

“What is that brat doing here?” he asked aloud when he saw Taehyung’s bright orange hair. The boy was busy scribbling on a sheet of paper. His sister was sitting across the boy, her books and notes sprawled over the coffee table’s surface while Jungkook was sitting cross-legged beside her and reading a book.

Haeyoon looked up from her own notebook when she heard Yoongi’s voice. She beamed at him before answering, “Just finishing some homework together.” Then she started gathering her things. “Since you’re here already, I’ll start preparing dinner.” She stood up and he saw how the two boys followed her with their eyes.

Yoongi can’t help but roll his eyes. He’s beginning to think that his sister would unknowingly break many boys’ hearts.

Carelessly throwing his gym bag on the floor, Yoongi plopped himself on the recliner adjacent to the coffee table. He waited for the two boys to turn their eyes on him before he said, “As a guy myself, I know the meaning behind the look you’re giving my sister.”

Jungkook tilted his head with innocent curiosity while Taehyung choked on his own spit.

‘Bingo,’ the older boy thought. He was just actually fishing around and the reaction his sister’s bestfriend gave was enough for him to know that the boy, indeed, has feelings for her. However, in Jungkook’s case, he can never tell if the boy had something for Haeyoon or not. His naïve reactions always throw Yoongi off the track.

“What look?” Jungkook was the first to ask.

“Y-yeah, what look?” Taehyung echoed, his eyes darting everywhere but Yoongi.

The older boy smirked and shrugged, “I don’t know. Why don’t you tell me?” 

He was really enjoying Taehyung’s uncomfortable look and the way he was squirming under his gaze and he would like to see Jungkook on the same situation but it seemed like the boy don’t even have any idea on what he was trying to imply.

Taehyung’s lips parted to say something but Haeyoon poked her head on the living room’s threshold and said, “Hey, Kookie, mind giving me a hand here?”

The two other boys perked up as Jungkook stood up obediently and made a beeline towards her. “I’m quite offended that you turn to others first before me, Haeyoon,” Yoongi told her, his lower lip jutting out a little.

The girl pretended to think deeply. “Uh, maybe because the first and probably the last time you entered our kitchen, you almost set it on fire while trying to fix yourself peanut butter and jelly sandwich?”

“But that’s—,” Yoongi was cut off when Taehyung let out an obnoxious laugh. He was about to lash out at the younger boy when his sister spoke again, effectively shutting up her bestfriend.

“Laughing at your own mate is a no-no, Kim Taehyung,” she clucked her tongue. “Might I remind you how much of a black hole you are in the kitchen that everything you cook taste like feet?”

Yoongi and Taehyung was both dumbfounded as they stare at the girl with dramatically betrayed faces. “Right, Jungkook is the safest option. He surprisingly knows how to do basic cooking that’s why I’m choosing him.” She grinned at them, obviously having fun at teasing her brother and her bestfriend. “Just so you know, I don’t have any intentions of dying by food poisoning.” With that said, she dragged Jungkook into the kitchen and continued cooking.

“Some sister she is,” Yoongi grumbled as he slumped back on his chair. He glanced at Taehyung and saw the boy glaring at the table. He smirked before leaning over to ruffle his hair. “Don’t let the green-eyed monster show itself, brat.”

Taehyung shot him an embarrassed look before a pink dust settled on his cheeks.

The older boy chuckled before leaning back on the chair. “I’m guessing that Haeyoonie told you about how Jungkook ended up living with us.”

“Yeah,” he nodded. “I’m actually surprised when I first saw him earlier.”

“I’m actually surprised that you handled it well,” Yoongi stated in a meaningful tone before he added, “I bet Jin and the others will be surprised, too,” He can already imagine his friends’ reactions.

“Jimin will probably throw a fit,” the younger boy smirked. “And I bet Namjoon will scrutinize him.”

Yoongi snorted. “But they won’t be able to touch even the tip of Jungkook’s hair, trust me.” Taehyung shot him a questioning look as if asking him to elaborate. “Haeyoon won’t let any of you. She treats him like a younger brother and I’m sometimes surprised and jealous at her protectiveness.” He shook his head before putting his hands behind his head and looking up at the ceiling. “They’re pretty close now.”

“And you’re okay with that?” Taehyung asked.

He shrugged. “Jungkook’s a good guy. You won’t believe how innocent that kid is.”

The orange head chewed on his lips before letting out his next question. “What if…what if he likes Haeyoon more than a friend, more than a sister?”

There was a moment of silence before Yoongi spoke. “Then you better start working your to get her attention.” He chuckled. “You’ve got many competition, brat. There are also the boys who usually visit her on the café. Even if I, we, don’t like them, I can see that they are Haeyoonie’s good friends and I don’t have a say in whoever she chooses.” Yoongi paused before letting out a wistful sigh. “I can only support her and make sure that she doesn’t get hurt too much…I can only beat whoever it is that’ll break her heart until he regrets that he was even born.”

Taehyung smiled at Yoongi’s answer, he really loves his sister very much.

 

HAEYOON GATHERED THE empty juice cartons and went out to their backyard. They just finished eating dinner and were already cleaning up. After much persuasion and some well placed threats, she managed to make Yoongi and Taehyung wash the dishes while Jungkook was watching some show on the tv. After all, the latter did help her make dinner, she was just being fair.

When she was done throwing the trash on their proper bin, she turned to get back inside but was stopped by a soft whimpering noise. She peered through the metal bars of their gate and she saw a little brown toy poodle wandering in front of their house. Intrigued, she went out and sat down on the curb. She assumed that the puppy had escaped and got lost on its way home when she saw the pink leash dangling from its collar. A slight frown made its way on her face when she realized how dangerous it is for the puppy to wander out at dark nights like this, it might get run over by a car or something.

“Here little puppy, come here,” she cooed as she cautiously stuck a hand in front of her. The puppy halted a few meters away from her, its short fluffy tail wagging lightly from side to side and its pink little tongue hanging from the side of its mouth. “Come on, cutie, I won’t hurt you,” she cooed again and the puppy just tilted its head at her. A few moments later, the puppy took several wary steps towards her. “That’s right, come closer, little puppy,” she said softly and smiled triumphantly when the small creature carefully nuzzled its snout onto her palm, cold wet nose brushing her skin. She giggled and started petting the cute dog. “Aww, you are so adorable.” Her hands tenderly combed through the puppy’s soft curly fur and its tail wagged excitedly. “You remind me of someone,” she grinned when the image of Kyungsoo’s wolf form crossed her mind. “What’s you name, little one?”

“Jjanggu!” she heard a deep voice calling through the silent street. “Jjanggu, come here buddy!”

She craned her neck to the left side of the road and saw a boy in a black hoodie whipping his head from side too side as if he was searching from something.

“That must be your owner,” she said to the puppy, scratching its ear for the last time before holding onto its leash, getting up and catching the boy’s attention. “Hello, I believe this is your puppy.”

He perked up at the sound of the girl’s voice and his eyes rounded in relief and happiness at the sight of his dog beside her. “Thank goodness you found him.” He jogged down the remaining distance between them with a wide smile on his face.

Now that Haeyoon was able to see the boy up close, she was momentarily stunned by his good looks. He had dark brown eyes framed by thick long lashes, straight proud nose, plump pink lips, sharp jaw and defined chin. He was an undeniably attractive boy and his tanned skin made him look even ier. The moonlight bouncing off his ash-blonde hair made his locks look almost glowing.

“Uh, yeah,” she shook her head internally when she realized that she was staring at him like an idiot. “But it seemed like your puppy found me.”

She passed him the leash and when their fingers briefly touched each other, a current shot up her hand, making her recoil. She unconsciously rubbed her hand at the back of her denim shorts. “Good thing you found him before he wandered at farther places.”

“Didn’t you feel that?” he asked as he clenched and unclenched his hand.

She stilled for a moment before she said, “I-I did. You see, that kind of happens a lot lately whenever I meet…you know, some people,” she cracked an awkward smile at him as she remembered the times that the same thing happened with Jungkook and Joonmyeon. Then a crazy idea struck her, could it be… No, she immediately brushed the thought away. It would be totally bizarre if The Guardians kept coming her way like this. It would be like she’s attracting them like moths to a lamp. “But it’s nothing to worry about.”

“Oh,” the boy nodded distractedly, still staring at his own hand. He looked up at her after a few seconds with a bright smile that showcased his pearly whites. “I’m Kim Jongin, by the way.” He stuck his hand out and she eyed him warily. “Maybe it’s gone,” he shrugged and shook his hand a little, encouraging her to take it.

“Okay…” she trailed off before gingerly slipping her small hand into his big one. She smiled when she felt nothing but the warmth and softness of his palm. “You’re right. I’m Min Haeyoon.” She pulled her hand away. “I assume you live nearby, yes?”

Jongin nodded. “Several blocks away from here and pass the park.”

“His name’s Jjanggu, right?” she crouched down and the poodle immediately went over her and her hand.

“Yes,” Jongin answered as he observed the girl play with his dog. He wasn’t the type to get easily attracted to someone but the moment he laid his eyes on Haeyoon, he started to get a weird feeling on his chest. He always took a lot of time to warm-up towards someone that’s why it surprised him when he easily felt at ease around the girl, like he had known her for a long time now though he was sure that it’s the first time he met such a beautiful girl. “He likes you.”

Haeyoon peered up at him through her long lashes and smiled, “I like him, too.” She ruffled Jjanggu’s fur. “He’s so adorable and fluffy!”

They both laugh when the puppy let out a small high-pitched bark.

“He loves compliments,” Jongin chuckled, his eyes turning into crescents.

“Haeyoon.”

They both whipped their heads to the source of the voice and saw Yoongi, Taehyung and Jungkook standing in front of the gate. Haeyoon smiled at them before standing up and started introducing them to each other, thus, missing the guarded look on Yoongi and Taehyung’s faces. Jungkook remained silent but his eyes were flickering with curiosity because he suddenly felt like the guy was familiar.

“Jongin, this is my brother, Yoongi,” she gestured at the browned-haired boy. “My bestfriend, Taehyung,” she pointed at the other boy. “And our dear friend and neighbor, Jungkook,” she finished off with a bright smile. “Guys, this is Jongin, our neighbor.”

“You’re new here?” Yoongi asked. “I’ve never seen you before.”

“We moved here a month ago,” the boy answered as he tried to ignore the tensed vibe that the orange-haired boy was radiating. He looked at Haeyoon and can’t help but smile at her bubbly aura. As much as he wanted to stay and talk to her more, he deemed it not a good idea with the three boys observing them with watchful eyes. “I guess I’ll be going now, Haeyoon.”

“Oh, okay, be careful,” she smiled back at him. 

“Thanks. See you around, then.”

“Don’t let Jjanggu escape again,” she playfully reminded him.

“I won’t,” he chuckled before waving goodbye and walking down the street, his puppy trotting happily along side him.

The moment Jongin was out of sight, Haeyoon heard her brother sigh. “What?” she raised an eyebrow at him.

However, instead of answering her, he turned to Taehyung and gave him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. “Tough luck, brat, tough luck.”

Haeyoon stared questioningly at Yoongi who went back inside while dragging Jungkook with him along the way.

“So, uhm, I better get going now,” she heard her bestfriend mutter and she turned to him.

“Sure, yeah, be careful on you way home,” she told him. “Send me a message if you get back home safely, it’s late already.”

Taehyung secretly smiled to himself as he heard a note of worry in her tone. His heart flutters everytime she shows her concern for him. “I’ll be fine. I’ll beep you as soon as I’m home.”

“Okay, bye—,”

The girl was cut off when Taehyung gently pulled her towards him before planting a chaste kiss on her forehead.

“Goodnight,” he murmured into her ear. He walked away without even waiting for her reply, thus, missing the way her lips curved up into a beautiful smile.

 

THE TEACHER WAS discussing the parts of a cell and Haeyoon was scribbling important notes every now and then. She was one of the diligent students who wouldn’t even dare to nod away in between lessons just like her seatmate.

“Taehyunggie,” she hissed as she nudged her bestfriend awake. The boy looked almost comical as he sat up straight and looked around him in alarm that the teacher had caught him sleeping in her class. Haeyoon giggled behind her hand as the boy shot her a glare.

The discussion went on for about another fifteen minutes before everything became still and dead silent. Haeyoon slowly looked around her in sudden apprehension and bewilderment, taking in the sight of everyone that seemed to freeze over.

It was like looking at a paused movie.

Her teacher’s hand was suspended mid-air as she was about to write something on the white board. Shinhye was stuck in the middle of turning a page of her book while Gaeun’s hand was frozen through her long hair. Taehyung had a bored look on his face, his elbow propped on the desk while his hand was supporting his chin and he was unmoving as well as her other classmates. Even the flying bee outside the window was hung in mid-air, too.

Everything stopped and was still like a statue…

…Except for her.

“What in the world is happening?” she asked herself as fear run through her veins, her heart pumping away in her chest. Her hand started to turn clammy and goose-bumps won’t seem to leave her skin but she forced herself to think clearly. She tried to rub her eyes and blink them several times but she knew she wasn’t dreaming.

Something is definitely happening.

The girl forced herself to get up though her knees were quite shaking. She didn’t know where to go but something is urging her to get outside.

It was so weird seeing everything and everyone like some sort of stationary displays. It made her stomach turn in a very unpleasant way and the deafening silence was frightening her. But despite the creepy situation, Haeyoon’s senses were very much alert, thanks to her fear. Her ears picked up the slightest sound of something squeaking, just like how Yoongi’s rubber shoes would sound against the shiny floor of the gym. She started walking into the direction of the sound and she soon broke out into a full sprint before she collided on something with a harsh impact the moment she turned into a corner.

“Ouch!” she yelped when her landed on the hard polished floor.

“, sorry, sunshine!” she snapped her eyes open when she heard Baekhyun. “I didn’t see you there.”

“Oh my god!” the relief she felt was so great that tears pricked the back of her eyes. “Baekhyun!” She jumped onto her feet and launched her self at him on impulse.

“Easy there, sunshine,” the boy chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her petite waist protectively. “You missed me that much, huh.”

She felt herself calming down and her heart was returning to its usual pace but the fear was still there. She wanted to know what’s really going on.

“W-what’s going on?” she asked as she pulled away from the boy, breathing in a few shuddering breaths.

Baekyun pursed his lips. “I’m not really sure but I know only one person who can do this. However, we still can’t be at ease.”

“What do you mean?”

“Let’s find Suho and D.O first,” Baekhyun said but before they could even move, they saw the two running towards them.

“Thank goodness you found her,” Kyungsoo sighed in relief as he ran his eyes over her petite frame.

“Are you okay?” Joonmyeon asked Haeyoon but Baekhyun was the one who answered for her.

“Well, she’s a bit shaken up but she’s fine.”

“Good,” the president nodded before turning to his brothers. “You felt them, too?”

“Yeah, but I can’t understand why he was doing this,” Kyungsoo frowned. “Are they perhaps changed or something?”

“You mean they became Tainted Ones?” Baekhyun said incredulously. “That’s ridicoulous!”

“Arguing is pointless,” Joonmyeon said in an authoritative voice. “We should just see for ourselves, they’re here anyway.”

Haeyoon looked at each of them warily. “W-who’s here?”

The three exchanged glances before Baekhyun took a hold of her shaking hand. 

“You’ll see.”

 


 

Author's Note:

Finished this at 2:54 AM. LOL! Gotta go to sleep now. Maybe I’ll wake up to your inspiring comments, hmm? 

Anyway, is Yoongi actually shipping the #TeamTaeYoon? omo! lmao! Be sure to tell me who you ship, okay? ^_^