The Trap

Seal of Dark Fate

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

The Trap


 

WITH HER HEART pounding and palms sweating, Haeyoon stopped dead in her tracks to concentrate. It was utterly strange but she held her breath as she waited for the voice— Jungkook’s voice— to speak to her again. She didn’t even bother questioning how she was able to hear his voice. Closing her eyes, she tried to communicate with him through her mind.

Jungkook, where are you?

She waited patiently, but all she heard next was nothing and it made her heart ache badly, just as badly as she missed her brother. Just as she was about to think that it was all her desperate mind’s imagination playing tricks on her, the voice echoed inside her head again.

Be careful, Haeyoon, it’s a trap.

There was no mistaking it, that soft sweet voice was her brother’s but what was he talking about? Was he trying to warn her? But from what? What trap?

Tell me where you are, Kookie, please.

She pleaded with her mind and waited for another reply. A few minutes had past but there was still no answer. There was a sudden heaviness inside her, weighing her down, and she knew that that was it. That was all she ever going to hear from Jungkook for now.

Suddenly a pair of hands grabbed her shoulders, making her eyes flew open in surprise.

“Are you okay?” JB asked her, worry etched on his handsome face.

She blinked once, twice, before his question registered in her bewildered mind. “Uh, yes, I’m fine.”

Over JB’s shoulder, several feet away, she could see the other six Hunters looking at her with concern and confused faces, probably wondering why she suddenly stopped walking.

“Really?” he wanted to make sure. JB curled a hair behind her ear as he gazed softly down at her.

She nodded and said, “Yes. I’m just a bit distracted…”

“Haeyoonie!” Bambam hollered at the same time Jackson yelled, “Sweetcake!

“Coming!” Haeyoon called back.

Yongjae beamed at her, “You better hurry up! I’m starving!”

“You heard the black hole,” JB chuckled, “Let’s go?”

“Sure,” she replied and they began walking.

Her eyes spared one last glance at the cluster of trees surrounding the small lake, the sun halfway behind the horizon. The wind whistled quietly, caressing a soft whisper into her ears and she was more determined to find her brother and their friends.

* * *

That night, in the middle of the festive dinner, one of Jiyong’s most trusted men, who was assigned to lead a team of watchers for that night, delivered a rather strange news.

“Someone had breached the barricade,” he reported and it made the whole long table plunge into tensed and confused silence. A breached barricade could only mean danger.

Jiyong shot up from his seat with a dark look and demanded, “How?”

He made sure that the protective shield he made was secured, especially against the Tainted Ones or any sort of sorcerers who use black magic. It would take an enormous amount of power to break through his enchantment and he can’t believe that he wasn’t even able to sense it.

“I don’t know,” the male shook his head with a grave look. “The spell didn’t even create a warning like it did every time a Tainted One would get close by accident.”

The Guardians, Haeyoon, Yoongi, Myungsoo and the Hunters, exchanged worried looks. Haeyoon immediately suspected that those black sorcerers must’ve sensed her spirit, and followed it like a beacon to where they were in the Mountain Spirit.

“Who is this person, Daesung?” Jiyong asked as he walked around the table to where the man was standing. “What is he? A Tainted One?”

“Our men got him,” he said and swallowed thickly, “But he’s not a Tainted One, Jiyong.”

Jiyong’s brows furrowed at that and his shoulders and eyes became less tense but still alert. “Then is he a Light sorcerer like us?” 

The other people on the table were also waiting intently for Daesung’s reply.

“No he’s not.”

Jiyong was perplexed and exclaimed, “Then what the hell is he?”

“A human.”

There was a moment of pin drop silence as the statement took a moment to sink in on every ones mind. Jiyong whipped his head towards the princess who had a look of disbelief on her soft pretty face.

Now Jiyong knew how the barricade was easily breached by this person, he didn’t design it to be human-proof.

“Where is this person?” Haeyoon asked as she stood from her seat, her whole body thrumming with eagerness. “Please, take me to him; he must be one of my friends.”

The other men on the table stood up, too, in alert. The strong emotions she was feeling were affecting her Guardians and putting them on edge, too.

“We’re coming with you,” Yoongi said from beside Haeyoon as he took her hand. 

Haeyoon swallowed hard and nodded, anxiety and anticipation wanting to explode from her chest. Without further ado, Daesung led them to where they kept the human.

With every step Haeyoon took, her heart rammed harder against its cage. Her breathing became shallow as she half-run half-walk towards the cabin where they kept the person. After almost five minutes of walking, they reached the cottage guarded with two intimidating looking men on the outside.

They immediately bowed at the sight of the princess who was slightly panting before them.

“Is he inside?” she rasped, already jittery to just barge in.

“Yes, Your Highness,” one of the men respectfully replied. He gave Jiyong a subtle glance and upon receiving a nod of approval, he wordlessly opened the wooden door.

Her feet seemed to move on their own accord and she found herself staring at a boy sitting slumped on a lone chair in the middle of the room with his head bowed and held between his hands. There were two tall and bulky armed men standing guard on either side of his chair and anyone would see that the boy was no match to them. It was almost a pain to see them heavily guarding the boy when in fact he poses no threat at all.

The surprised gasp Yoongi let out didn’t register in Haeyoon’s ear because all she could focus on was the human boy’s disheveled bright orange hair and that awfully familiar uniform— the same set of clothing that he wore when they were taken.

“Taehyung,” she breathed as a multitude of emotions passed her face such as disbelief, worry, longing, and relief. “Y-you’re safe, thank goodness you’re safe.”

Taehyung looked up the moment he heard her melodic voice and he swore it was the most precious sound he ever heard. His weary face lit up like a Christmas tree and he shot up from the wooden chair just in time to catch Haeyoon’s petite figure when she threw herself at him.

“Oh god,” he groaned in immense relief as he buried his face into the crook of her soft neck. His arms tightened themselves around her waist, almost lifting her from the ground as he took in her comforting scent. “I missed you, so, so much.”

“I’m sorry,” Haeyoon apologized breathlessly. “I’m so sorry for not being able to protect all of you.”

Taehyung shook his head and spoke with his deep voice, “No, it’s not your fault.”

Any fear he had felt earlier when several intimidating unfamiliar men found him, any confusion and worry had all been washed away the moment he felt her warm body against his own. 

She was his own safe haven.

“What happened to you?” Haeyoon asked when Taehyung finally let her go. Her eyes raked his tired face and messy hair as she let her hands caress both of his cheeks. “How…how did you get here?”

Taehyung greedily took in all her facial features, retracing every single detail and committing them to his mind over and over again. It felt years for him since he last saw her and he almost forgot how beautiful Hayoon was. He missed her so damn much that it almost hurt. Everything felt so surreal.

“I don’t know…” he answered in a husky and slightly shaky voice, his hands never releasing their firm hold around her waist as if he was afraid that she will disappear. “I…can’t even remember how I got here.”

“What do you mean?” she looked up at him in confusion and concern.

“I remember that horrible incident at school,” Taehyung started to recollect, his eyes never leaving hers, “Then I woke up at a dark room or,” – his face scrunched up at the unpleasant memory of the place they were kept in – “more like a dark cold cellar together with the others,” he swallowed and swiped at his drying lips, “We...we were locked in there for days until two cloaked men came and dragged…me out.”

Haeyoon took a sharp intake of breath and her eyes reflected fear— fear for him and the others who were left. “How did you manage to escape?” she asked. “How about the others? How about Jungkook?”

Taehyung shook his head forlornly and spoke in a broken voice, “I don’t know. I don’t have any idea how I managed to escape because after they dragged me out…I can’t remember anything. I just found myself in the middle of the forest and then there were men who found me and brought me here.”

“Did those cloaked men hurt you? Any of you?” Haeyoon asked tenderly as she brushed his fringe away from his forehead.

Taehyung shook his head lightly but his eyes displayed raw fear that sent unpleasant shivers down her spine.

Being in a world unknown to humans shook Taehyung and the other boys to the core. It was like a little child getting lost in a big and unfamiliar city; it was completely confusing and terrifying. It made them feel utterly vulnerable against those powerful men that attacked and took them.

“Don’t worry,” she tried to console him, bringing him in for another warm protective hug and Taehyung willingly engulf her with his strong arms. “You’re safe now, I’ll protect you. I’m so glad you’re safe, Tae.”

* * *

Lively chatters and light laughters filled the air as the bonfire was consistently burning brightly in the middle of the campground, providing warmth for all the Light sorcerers who gathered around it.

From a distance, Haeyoon stared at Taehyung and Yoongi while the latter was showing the orange head his ability to create spirit weapons. She was quite relieved that Taehyung seemed to be comfortable, finally cracking a smile or two, despite the things that were happening around him. As her mind drifted away to Jimin, Namjoon, Jin, Hoseok and Jungkook, she failed to notice a presence beside her until the person tapped her shoulder.

“Princess Haeyoon,” Jiyong gazed down at her, greeting her with a small smile.

“Yes?” Haeyoon blinked at the man with her doe-like eyes.

“Would you come with me for a minute?” he gently asked and there’s something in his beautiful expressive eyes that made Haeyoon trust him. “There’s something I want to show you.”

“Okay,” she gave him a smile in return and Jiyong held out a hand to help her stand.

She looked back at her Guardians and the others whom were all seemingly having a rather pleasant time in the company of the other Light sorcerers and decided to just leave quietly.

After a few minutes of walking through the thick trees, they ended up at a large pond being ringed by old tall trees. 

The princess’ lips parted at the enchanting sight in front of her. 

In the middle of the pond was a mass of land where the most glorious tree, taller than the rest of the trees in the forest, with the widest trunk stood proudly. Its branches spanned and reached out greatly in every direction covered in its lush glistening golden leaves. The whole place was littered with tiny bright lights akin to a firefly but Jiyong told her that they were actually the spirits of the Mountain Spirit. It was really magical in every sense of the word as the moonlight shone brightly on top of the clearing, the translucent pale moonbeam peeking through the gaps in the leaves and branches.

“This is the Tree of Spirit,” Jiyong broke through her trance. “It was once the home of the Twelve Spirits, too, and stories told us that since the Twelve Spirits decided to seal away the Thirteenth Spirit, they never physically came back here. There presence can only be felt through your Twelve Guardians.”

Haeyoon stayed silent as Jiyong continued the story.

“These spirits are the guardians of Lucere, they are the essential elements of our world, they are what gave each of us our magic and abilities.” he said, “But ever since the Great War, they refused talking to us,” he said quietly in regret.

At that moment, a flock of tiny bright lights fluttered over Haeyoon and rested on her clothes and hair. She held out a palm and a lone spirit gently landed on top if it, tickling her skin.

“They seemed to like you, Your Highness,” Jiyong said in awe at the spirits behavior towards Haeyoon.

“They must’ve been disappointed at what happened to our world,” Haeyoon said sadly in almost a whisper. "They must've been disappointed with us."

Jiyong don’t have a comment for that but he agreed with her.

“I’m sorry,” she uttered with a voice full of sincerity, looking at the tiny light on her palm before glancing at the magnificent tree in front of her where other thousand tiny bright light floated around, “I promise to make everything right again, please guide all of us.”

Jiyong smiled fondly at Haeyoon and realized that Lucere was truly blessed to have a princess like her. Her heart was always in the right place.

“Elders say that the spirits grant the wish of the purest heart,” he said to her, “And you have that, my princess.”

An endearing bashful smile curved up Haeyoon’s lips as she looked up at Jiyong.

“I’m honored to be forever at your service, Princess Haeyoon,” he said, kneeling down on one knee before her with his right hand placed over his heart.

* * *

Sleep won’t visit Haeyoon and after a few more twist and turn on her comfortable bed she got up. She had the sudden urge to check up on Taehyung on the cabin where he slept together with Yoongi and some of the Hunters.

The night was cold and the night was quiet as everyone was probably asleep except for a few watchers stationed here and there. Everyone was contented and feeling safe within the protective barriers created by Jiyong and strengthened by Myungsoo. With her steps as quiet as possible she walked across the moonlit ground, pulling her jacket tighter around her body.

The wind blew mildly, the chill it brought nipping at her pale cheeks and she paused at the sight of the familiar figure standing in front of the cabin.

It was Taehyung.

Her brows furrowed as she squinted her eyes at his broad back that was turned to her, wondering what he was doing outside.

Was he having trouble sleeping, too?

“Tae?” she called softly but the boy didn’t seem to hear her. She tried calling him again but instead of responding to her, he walked away.

Clouded with confusion, Haeyoon decided to follow her bestfriend.

“Tae, where are you going?” she tried again as she had a hard time keeping up with his long strides. “What’s wrong?”

Taehyung walked with a purpose, never once stopping at her calls. Haeyoon failed to notice that they were headed for the most deserted part of the campground, near the north-side of invisible barricade that protects them from the outside.

A few more minutes of walking, Taehyung finally halted in his tracks.

“Are you okay, Tae?” Haeyoon asked worriedly as she took a few more steps closer to him. But the orange-haired boy was as silent as the dead and doubt suddenly sprouted in her chest, making her stop dead in her tracks. “Tae…?”

Taehyung took a step forward again and Haeyoon belatedly sensed the invisible barricade. She gasp when she realized that Taehyung was about to cross it. It wouldn’t create an alarm or any sort of response nor would it warn Jiyong because besides Taehyung being a human, any contact from the inside won’t affect the spell. Anyone could cross the barrier from the inside without any problem.

“Kim Taehyung, get back here!” she called in panic and didn’t hesitate to follow him to the other side when he didn’t heed her call.

He was a good two yards away from the shield when Taehyung ceased all movements. With a few determined strides she caught up with him and grasped his shoulder to make him face her. “What the hell is wrong with you? It’s dangerous out—“

She froze on her spot when she saw the eerie vacant look in his eyes, as if his soul was away from his body. His perfectly sculpted face was void of any emotions and it made her skin crawl. He wasn't looking at her nor anywhere at all, he was just staring but his eyes were...dead. The gaping blackness of his blown-up pupils take up most of his honey-brown irises, only leaving a ring that glinted creepily against the moonlight. Never in her life had she seen him wore such an expression; it almost seemed like he was not Taehyung but an entirely different person.

“Taehyung…” her voice trailed off when her eyes caught a sudden movement in the shadows. She in a breath as she pulled the boy behind her protectively.

A tall lithe figure stepped out of the shadows and a man revealed himself under the moonlight. He was wearing a black cloak with the hood pulled down. He had stunningly exquisite features, too beautiful in fact, that it almost scared Haeyoon.

“It’s a pleasure to see you, Your Highness,” he said with a melodic voice that had a mocking edge to it.

“Who are you?” she growled under her breath, hands fisted down her side.

“Oh, where are my manners?” he said with fake remorse, “Forgive me, Princess, I’m Kyuhyun, a member of the Oraculum.” he said with a bow. “I’m here to bring you to the palace.”

Haeyoon gave him a hard guarded look as all the warning bells in her head rang loudly. Her eyes caught the sight of a black tattoo, or mark, on the back of his hand and she immediately recognized it. “What do you want?” she gritted, “You’re one of them. Those black sorcerers that attacked us and took our friends and my brother!”

So it’s true that some of the members of the Oraculum conspired with Magos and sold their loyalties to him.

Kyuhyun smiled at that, “Ah, you’re a smart one, aren’t you?” His face dropped the innocent facade and was replaced with a ghastly sinister look. His gaze traveled to Taehyung and he said, “Job well done, human.”

Haeyoon felt all the tiny hairs on the back of her neck stand up as she finally grasped the situation. “What did you do to Taehyung?!” she cried, already forming escape plans in her head. Her eyes darted around as she prepared herself to save Taehyung and herself.

“Nuh-uh,” Kyuhyun shook his head with an evil smile, “You’re not going anywhere, Your Highness. Since you already know that I’m not your family’s loyal servant anymore, then there’s no point pretending and playing nice.” 

As soon as he said that, she felt Taehyung’s arms around her but instead of his usual sweet warm hugs, it was replaced with a death grip, intended on pinning her down and not letting her escape.

He wore a self-satisfied smirk and said, "Don't even think of using your powers right now if you don't want that boy to die. I practically have his life on my hand."

“Tae,” she gasped as the boy continued to squeeze the oxygen out of her. “What…a-are you…doing?”

“He won’t respond to you because he’s under my black spell,” Kyuhyun smugly offered an explanation. “Who knew humans are too easy to manipulate, such pathetic beings.”

Haeyoon could’ve easily use powers but she can’t do it lest it will hurt her bestfriend.

“Now that those stupid Guardians and Hunters are out of the way, we can finally carry on with our plan,” he continued before chuckling lowly. “I can’t believe that it’s so easy to lure you towards my trap with just a stupid human.”

Trap. It’s a trap. This was what Jungkook was trying to tell me.

Panic rose in her as her eyes desperately looked for anything that could help her situation and then she saw it, those big bright round eyes that glinted against the pale moonlight. She made eye contact with it and made sure to convey her message properly.

Kyuhyun laid a palm on her forehead, making her gasp in shock at the feel of his ice cold hand, and before she knew it, blackness engulfed her.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hey, hey, hey! How's that for an update? XD Come on guys, talk to meeehhhh. lmao!

My readers are really smart coz some of you are finally grasping the situation. OMO! Why so smart?

Dear, silent readers, I wanna hear your thoughts, please don't hesisitate to drop your comments!

BTW, welcome to the new readers! Hope you're enjoying the story. XD

I LOVE YOU, BABY I, I LOVE YOUUUUUU~~~~ (If you know what I mean. XD)