As the Light Disappeared

Seal of Dark Fate

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

As the Light Disappeared


 

 

“WE HAVE A CHANGE OF PLANS,” Luhan announced to everyone in a grave voice. The truth that he and Yoongi had learned earlier was like a bomb dropped on him, leaving him shell-shocked and utterly bewildered.

“What do you mean?” Suho asked, obviously as confused as the others.

Yoongi who was standing beside Luhan and still recovering his lost energy from the mind-link said, “We’re going to Magos lair instead.”

The Guardians’ faces hardened as the haunting memories from the last great war clawed its way out from the deepest depths of their minds, bringing every unwanted emotions with it up their throats. It was the last place they would want to step into again.

“Are you out of your mind?” Sehun hissed at him with narrowed eyes, his emotions quickly escalating. “Why in the hell are we going there?”

“Because we know why Yoongi’s memories are sealed,” Luhan explained patiently but the anxiety and trepidation was apparent on his eyes. “We know the truth that King Zardus tried to hide from us all these years.”

“What…truth are you talking about?” Myungsoo questioned carefully, as if afraid of what was yet to be revealed.

“Why the King made you seal the Prince,” Luhan said, his expression turning bleaker as the seconds tick by, “Because Jungkook is Magos’ son.”

The silence that followed his words was deafening, like the calm before a dreadful storm; disbelief, confusion and betrayal playing on every ashen face.

“N-no,” Tao stuttered in strong denial. “You must be lying.”

“I wish I am, Tao,” Luhan slowly shook his head in defeat. “But Suga already recalled his memories. He was sealed because the King didn’t want anybody to know.”

“But why?” Chanyeol asked, bitter pain of betrayal lacing his voice. “Why would he do that?”

“Because the Prince is just a child,” Kris said in his deep solemn voice. “King Zardus knew that Lucerians would want to kill Magos’ child if they knew and they would kill an innocent child.”

Nobody spoke as they tried to understand what Kris was trying to say.

“I think I would do the same if I were in the same position as the King,” Suho finally said. “A true Light Sorcerer wouldn’t kill an innocent soul just because of his origin.”

“Now I know why those Black Sorcerers want Jungkook,” Kyungsoo piped up. “They would use his blood to bring Magos back.”

“So, you’re saying that Haeyoon is in that Magos’ lair?” Youngjae asked, wanting to make sure.

“Yes,” Luhan answered, “Because that was where Magos was sealed and buried by King Zardus.”

“I just hope we’re not too late,” Jinyoung said, his grip on his weapon tightening.

“We’re not,” JB told him in a firm voice. “We’re going to save them. We’re going to bring her back.”

“Kai,” Suho called the tanned Guardian, “You know the place— you know what to do.”

With a nod, Kai asked everyone to stand in a circle around him. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes in concentration before his symbol began glowing in a bright blue light and they all disappeared in a blink of an eye.

* * *

It was the moment when you knew you can’t keep them both and you are left with no choice but to sacrifice one of them and its breaking you apart because they are both important to you. 

Being trapped and not being able to do anything about the situation was probably the most unnerving feeling that Haeyoon felt. Every passing second that she remained immobile was like an arrow piercing through her heart, making her bleed and hurt inside out.

On her left were her long time friends.

On her right was her long-lost brother.

And she was torn between keeping the Marked Seal and Jungkook and keeping her friends safe.

She glanced at their expressionless faces before glancing at her brother’s terrified and begging eyes. Something was telling her that once the seal is gone and so is Jungkook.

She gritted her teeth. Why did she have to be so useless? The power she had was totally worthless at the moment. She can’t even use it— not when there are important things at stake. Her frustration with their helpless situation was eating her insides and the fear of losing anyone once again is chipping at her sanity.

Leeteuk was getting closer with the dagger and she had to choose. Attacking the Black Sorcerers with her powers would kill her friends but not doing anything will surely make her lose Jungkook.

Feeling the cold grip onto her wrist, she finally came to a sickening conclusion. She held Jungkook’s trembling stare with her own as the sharp tip of the black dagger cut through her skin and dug into the delicate flesh of her palm, bright red blood seeping to the surface. The pain brought by the wound is nothing compared to the pain that came with her decision.

“I’m sorry,” she mouthed to Jungkook as tears sprang out her eyes, blurring the young boy’s image. A similar slash of wound appeared on Jungkook’s right palm, too.

“Good choice, Princess,” Leeteuk said in a voice full of mocking. “Now, like the good children you are, bring your palms together,” he urged the two of them with a wicked smile in his face. “Or it’ll be the end for your human friends.”

Jungkook saw the conflicting emotions on his sister’s pale face. He can feel her confusion, the helplessness and the pain she’s feeling inside her. He wanted to make it easy for her. His eyes wandered to the five boys who had become his friends as well as family and he knew that he had to save them. He didn’t have any idea what would happen once the seal was removed but he had a feeling that it wouldn’t be anything good. But if it’s the only thing that would keep the lives of the people he cherishes then he would gladly do it.

Raising her trembling wounded hand to Jungkook with her eyes tightly closed, Haeyoon started questioning her decision but before she could even think of retracting her palm away, she felt the palm pressing against her own. Her eyes shot open and she saw Jungkook gazing down at her with a reassuring smile that made her heart ache even more.

“It’s okay,” he said.

Then it started.

The black tattoo that appeared on her wrist the first time she made contact with Jungkook started acting up, giving that certain patch of skin a burning sensation. She was so absorbed at the way the Marked Seal glowed bright blue that she failed to notice the air building and charging up around them. A few seconds more, the tattoo started disappearing and disintegrating into thin air, only leaving a tingling sensation on the skin of her wrist. Jungkook was the first one to pull his hand away or more like his hand dropped like it was laden with heavy lead. Haeyoon tried to search herself, tried feeling if something was amiss but she felt normal and nothing had changed. She looked up at her brother and saw how wrong he looked, making her eyes go wide.

His once warm brown irises had turned into that chilling bright crimson color again. The lack of emotion on his orbs and his face sent shivers down her spine and she had never seen Jungkook as emotionless as that.

“Jungkook,” she called his name in hopes of returning him back to normal but he didn’t even flinch or showed any sort of recognition or response to her voice. 

“Finally!” Leeteuk rejoiced in a erse manner, his hands clapping giddily, “He had awoken.”

Jungkook moved and went towards the center of the grand hall, still with that face void of any emotions. He stood over the embossed circle of symbols on the stone floor and Haeyoon snap her head towards Leeteuk with an accusing stare.

“What happened to him?” she hissed.

“His father is calling for him,” Leeteuk said, “And with that stupid Marked Seal removed, he can finally fulfill his mission as Magos’ son.”

“W-what?” Haeyoon stared at him in disbelief.

Leeteuk smiled evilly at her, “He is Magos’ son with your mother, your half-brother in other words. The blood running through his veins is the blood of a Black Sorcerer and it’s his fate to follow his father’s biddings.”

Haeyoon shook her head vehemently. “No, you’re a freaking liar!”

“We’re telling the truth, Princess,” said Leeteuk. “Look at him, all he can hear now is his father, their blood connecting them as one and he’s going to bring him to life.”

Jungkook had an arm out in front of him, his bleeding palm hovering over the seal on the stone floor. He clenched his palm; his finger nails digging into the tender flesh of the open wound and making it bleed more. Haeyoon’s breath hitched in when she realized what he’s about to do.

“No, Jungkook!” she screamed at the top of her lungs, “Stop it!” But he won’t listen. She was about to run to him when her eyes caught sight of Siwon pulling a dagger and pointing it dangerously close at Jimin’s neck, effectively stopping her dead on her tracks. “No…” she whimpered, looking back and forth between Jungkook and her friends, “No…”

Thick red blood started oozing from Jungkook’s cut and three droplets raced down towards the stone floor. They all watched as the crimson liquid touched the dry ground before seeping down and below. There was a few seconds of nothingness until the ground began to shake violently and the sky rumble angrily. Cracks began to crawl all over the floor out of nowhere before it became gaping slits that spit fire all around the place. The seal on the stone floor crumbled and broke in half as a bolted iron coffin rose onto the surface. The big chains wrapped around the casket snapped, releasing the creature that once tried to overrule Lucere with his evil black magic.

Haeyoon froze when the iron coffin opened, revealing a man wrapped tight in iron chain. Then the chain slowly removed itself from his body that was clad in a midnight black cloak. The figure stepped away from his confinement of so many years and his eyelids slowly peeled open to show a pair of terrifying red eyes— even more terrifying than Jungkook’s.

The nine Black sorcerers surrounding them dropped down to their knees in worship.

“Welcome back, Lord Magos,” they chorused.

Magos looked around before his eyes settled down on Haeyoon and spoke in a voice so deep it sounded like it came from the deepest depths of hell, “Son,” he called and Jungkook was beside him in an instant. “It would give me so much pleasure if the first blood you will spill is that of a Saperian.”

Haeyoon felt her heart stop beating inside her chest. He wanted Jungkook to kill her.

Without any sign of hesitation, Jungkook pulled a black sword out of nowhere and started advancing towards her with a menacing look in his face.

Haeyoon took a step back out of instinct and felt a wall behind her. She lost Jungkook. It’s her fault and now it’s time to pay. In a blink of an eye, Jungkook was already standing in front of her and she barely moved out of the way as he brought the sword down, crushing the wall instead of her.

“Jungkook, wake up!” Haeyoon yelled desperately as she dodge yet another vicious attack from him. “This is not you!”

Scrambling backwards, she ended up trapped against another wall again and inwardly cursed at her luck. When she saw him pulling back his sword for another powerful attack, she used Earth and summoned a huge wall of stone to protect herself. She can’t pay him back with another assault, she didn’t have the heart to hurt him but she knew she wouldn’t last with just defense. She ran to the other side of the room but Jungkook appeared next to her quickly and attacked her with a black ball of magic that completely caught her off guard. It hit her square on the shoulder and made her fall harshly on her back. The pain made her see black dots as tears sprang in her eyes. She was so disoriented and hurt that it was too late to prepare herself when Jungkook hovered over her with his sword poised for another merciless attack. All she could do was to look up at him with big glassy eyes.

“Please, Kookie,” she croaked, hands clutching at her bleeding shoulder. “P-please, wake up…Please, remember me…your sister.”

Then there was a tiny flicker.

She thought she just imagined it but Jungkook’s irises flashed from red to brown. Twice.

“Kookie?” she called him again in a ragged voice as he stood frozen over her, his sword still poised over his shoulder.

“What are you waiting for, son?” Magos’ voice pierced the air and it seemed to steady Jungkook’s red eyes again. “Finish her, now.”

Haeyoon’s eyes instinctively closed shut as she waited for the painful impact but it never came, only the sound of metal hitting another metal. Her eyes snapped open and she was surprised to see the back of a person she knew too well.

“Yoongi!” she cried in a mix of relief and shock. “H-how did you— what—,” she sputtered, her words tumbling into one flustered mess.

“Are you alright? Can you manage?” asked Yoongi as he held tight on his Spirit sword, pushing against the black blade of Jungkook’s sword.

“Y-yes,” Haeyoon answered.

“Damn it,” Yoongi grunted. “We’re late and this is one ing mess.” He kicked Jungkook on the stomach and sent him skidding across the ground for a good meter. He turned around and helped her up to her feet while making a quick mental assessment of her injuries. “You’re hurt,” he gritted, anger showing on his tight jaw.

“I’m okay, I can heal myself,” she said, “But please, don’t hurt him too much. He doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

“But it’s not Jungkook anymore, Yoonie,” he said, regret palpable in his tone.

“No,” she gave him a firm shake of her head. “It’s still him. I saw it. We can still bring him back.”

“But how?” Yoongi wanted to shake her to her senses but he didn’t want to hurt her even more. “Can’t you see he’s under the control of his father because of the blood they share?”

“Jungkook is still there somewhere, I know it,” she said, her eyes b with unshed tears. “We can’t let him go. I won’t. I promised. He is our family and family doesn’t abandon each other, right Yoongi?”

Yoongi was stunned into silence as he stared at his sister’s shaking eyes, silently begging him to agree with her.

“We need to get you out of here,” Suho said when he reached them. A chaotic fight ensued between the Light Sorcerers and Black Sorcerers.

“No, I will fight with all of you!” she said as she started healing her own shoulder. She was still a bit slow as she was still learning. “Where is the Sword of Light?”

“Here,” Suho gave her the dagger which immediately became a sword upon contact with her outstretched hand. “Are you sure about this?”

“It’s me who has to finish this once and for all,” she said, “And I think it’s time I fulfill my mission.”

“Damn it,” Yoongi suddenly cursed, his head turned towards a certain direction and they quickly saw why. Jin, Namjoon, Hoseok, Jimin and Taehyung were now holding a black sword each and fighting with some of the Hunters, still with that blank faces. Apparently, Magos had given them black magic and was using the humans to his advantage because he knew that nobody would dare severe them.

Suddenly, dark shadowy figures began rising from the ground like ominous smoke. There were so many of them, like an army— Magos’ army.

And all hell breaks lose.

Haeyoon was left standing in the middle of it all as she frantically looked around her. There was Yoongi trying to oppose Jungkook’s every attack trying not to hurt the younger. Jungkook had one sole mission and that is to kill her so Yoongi was doing anything he can to keep him away from Haeyoon. The twelve Guardians are all engaged on their own battles as they all try to prevent anyone who comes her way. She had one sole mission, and that is to kill Magos who was watching everything unfold with a self-satisfied smile on his face.

However, it was not that easy to get close to him because of his army of Black Sorcerers. The Nine traitors who sold their souls to serve Magos got stronger since the resurrection of their master and the Guardians are having a difficult time fighting with them. The Hunters and Jiyong’s troupe of Light Sorcerers are also at a disadvantage because it seemed like as they defeat some of Magos’ army, more figures emerged from the ground. And it was a never ending fight unless she succeeded in killing Magos with the Sword of Light.

Haeyoon started moving, slashing at every enemy that came her way. One of Magos’ army almost got her but she managed to throw him a ball of fire just in time. Her eyes grew in horror when she saw Namjoon and Jimin ganging up on Yoongi, Jungkook was nowhere in sight. She was about to go and help him when Taehyung blocked her way. She stood there staring at Taehyung’s unseeing eyes, her heart twisting painfully in her chest. She wanted to apologize to him— to them— for dragging them into this mess but she would do it once everything is over and everyone is safe. And she would make sure that it will happen.

Taehyung took a step towards her and she instinctively took one back. She was trying to rack her brains of a possible way that would wake her bestfriend from the black trance as panic rose in her chest. Taehyung was steadily advancing towards her and she stopped moving, planting herself on the spot. When the boy was near enough, she did the first thing that popped in her mind.

She made a quick move to grab his neck and press her lips against his plush ones.

To say that she was shocked herself was an understatement. It seemed like everything around her stayed still for a moment. It had never occurred to her that Taehyung’s lips are as soft as a marshmallow and it never occurred to her that kissing him would feel so…right. So right that she wondered how she managed this long without doing this. All her life, she thought that everything she felt for Taehyung was pure friendship but now that she had her lips against his own, it was like something in her stirred and she realized right there and then that she loved Taehyung more than a bestfriend and she would do anything to get him back.

When she pulled away, she was surprised to see an identical look of astonishment on Taehyung’s beautiful face. The weapon he was about to use to kill Haeyoon clattered to the ground.

“Oh my god, Tae…” she trailed off as she drank in his alive dark eyes, “You’re back!” She jumped into his arms and she was certain that the trance on him was broken when he hugged her back even tighter.

“You kissed me,” he said in voice full of wonder, “You freaking kissed me.”

“And it worked,” said Haeyoon. “You’re back!”

Taehyung pulled away to look at her with a disappointed frown and said, “You kissed me just to wake me up?”

There's a soft smile on Haeyoon’s lips, “That and because I love you.”

A beautiful smile curved up his lips and it was enough to convince Haeyoon that everything will be fine in the end. A pretty shade of pink dusted his cheeks and he started saying, “I lo— .”

He wasn’t able to finish his words when his face suddenly froze, his smile disappearing in an instant. Thick red blood oozed from the side of his mouth as he slowly looked down. Haeyoon followed his gaze and felt her heart shatter into million splinters when she saw a black blade poking through his stomach.

“No, no, no,” she muttered as hysteria crept up . Her hands shook, the Sword of Light slipping from her hands, and her knees wobbled as she witnessed how the light slowly fade from Taehyung’s lovely eyes. “Tae…Tae…”

The blade was pulled out harshly and the person who stabbed the boy revealed his stoic face.

“Jungkook…” Haeyoon hiccupped as thick hot tears flowed down her face. Taehyung’s body swayed forwards and she was quick to catch him. They slid down gently to the ground and she cradled the boy’s head on her lap. “Why?”

 

* * *