Most Precious Thing

Seal of Dark Fate

CHAPTER THIRTY

Most Precious Thing


 

 

Haeyoon stared tearfully at Jungkook as he towers over them with those unfeeling cold eyes that seemed apathetic to the misery that was drowning the girl. Haeyoon felt like everything was on the verge of titling over when she averted her gaze to her bestfriend and saw how the colors slowly drained from his handsome face. Panic and fear were clouding her senses and all she can feel at the moment was how Taehyung’s warmth was slowly fading away from her fingertips. As her shoulders shook with every desperate intake of air, she failed to notice the flicker in Jungkook’s orbs once again until it returned to its brown color. It seemed like Haeyoon’s agonizing cries were breaking through his father’s control over him.

“No…no…” he gasped at the sight of Taehyung’s fragile body as he dropped down on his knees, his bloody black sword clattering beside him. He felt like just he woke up from a very deep sleep and when he looked down, he saw smears of blood on his terribly shaking hands. “W-what happened?”

The look that Haeyoon sent him was a mix of hurt, grief, and regret, sending a pang of pain straight to his core. 

Why was she looking at him that way?  

Then suddenly realization hit him hard. His mind whirled and he remembered the distinct sound of a voice that was compelling him to do something that he can’t even remember at all. Was he perhaps the one who… 

“I…I…did that to h-him?” his lips quivered and his voice cracked as tears of regret and sorrow flowed out from his now doe-like eyes. “I am so sorry…I am so sorry…I— I didn’t— Oh god…w-what did I do?” His hands flew to grip his hair in despair.

“You—,” Taehyung croaked, every breath he took sending a numbing pain all over his body, “didn’t k-know,” he said. “Don’t b-blame y-yourself, Kook.” Then Taehyung raised a trembling hand to touch Haeyoon’s cheek. “D-don’t…cry…I…l-love you, Yoonie,” his last words came out as a husky whisper as if speaking alone was a herculean effort.

Haeyoon tried to bit back her sobs of anguish. “You won’t die,” she said in a quivering voice, placing her hand on his gaping wound as his eyes slowly fluttered close like the soft wings of a butterfly. “I’ll heal you, don’t you dare die on me. I j-just said I l-love you.”

A small soft smile danced on Taehyung’s pale lips before his hand slid down from her face and to the ground.

“Tae…please…don’t— just d-don’t,” she pleaded as tears kept streaming down her face, the indescribable pain she’s feeling was without a doubt affecting her Guardians as well.  “I’m b-begging y-you…Kim Taehyung…open y-your eyes!”

However, the black blade is laden with a poisonous black magic that even a strong Light Sorcerer wouldn’t be able to escape that easily. And because Taehyung is a human, the poison had spread even more quickly and no matter how Haeyoon try, it’s already a little too late.

“No!” she cried, “Why isn’t my power working!” She was close to losing her sanity until a hand touched her shoulder.

“He’s a human…” the voice said and she looked up to see Myungsoo’s worn out appearance. He was by chance near their area and he saw what happened. “…And being attacked with a black sword that was made to injure a Light Sorcerer…death is inevitable.”

Haeyoon wanted to scream, to let it all out, but she was suddenly so, so tried that she only manage a weak tearful shake of her head. “No…” she said in denial. “He won’t die…” her tears continued dropping on Taehyung’s pallid face, his bright smiles nowhere to be found. “He can’t…no, please, please…” Heartbreaking sobs wrecked her body as a crying Jungkook sat there quietly. The poor young boy didn’t know what to make of anything anymore. He was just feeling so confused, so hurt and so afraid. How can he manage to kill his own friend…?

What was happening to him? How can his body move without his permission? Why wasn’t he aware? Was he asleep all this time? What if he kills his sister next? What would he do?

“Your Highness,” Myungsoo gave her shoulder a squeeze that brought Haeyoon to the present. “It’s not over yet.”

Haeyoon gathered what little strength left of her, willing herself to think straight and finish what she has to. Blinking her tears away, she leaned down on Taehyung and planted a tender kiss on his forehead. She wordlessly stood up and gathered the Sword of Light, certain that her heart was left with the boy on the floor. Every step she took away from him felt like a piece of her crumbling down but she had a responsibility to fulfill and a kingdom to redeem.

“Please, take him away from here,” she said to Myungsoo who obeyed her without questions asked.

Steeling herself, she looked around and assessed the whole situation. The Light Sorcerers are slowly losing while Magos’ army kept on growing. The only way to end this all before she lost another beloved again is to kill Magos. Her eyes swept the whole place for that one creature and she found him looking at her from across the room with that taunting expression. Fury rose from her chest and before she knew it, she was charging at him at full speed. Every enemy who came her way was faced with her raging powers as her eyes were glowing in an intense icy blue, the golden swirls in her irises burning brighter than before. She knew she wasn’t strong enough to face Magos, the one who had the blessing of the Thirteenth Spirit, head on but she had no time left and she had to believe with the Spirit she possessed. With her sword poised for an all out attack, she was ready to end everything once and for all but she didn’t expect the figure that suddenly blocked her way.

“Jungkook!” she gasped as her feet halted in the nick of the time, her heart pounding wildly against its cage. “Damn it! No!” she cursed when she saw his bloodshot irises again. He was once again under the possession of his evil father. “Come on, Jungkook! Wake up!” but her desperate pleas fell on deaf ears.

A maniacal laugh resonated in the air and she found Magos standing right behind Jungkook, whose bloody sword was positioned threateningly in front of him. The evil sorcerer was really enjoying tormenting Haeyoon by making the people she loves go and fight against her.

“You may have been lucky to break my control over him a few times but he is still my son,” Magos said, his piercing crimson eyes glowing with twisted amusement. “And the blood that flows in his veins is mine. He is a Black Sorcerer.”

Haeyoon scoffed despite the crazy beating of her heart. “He also has my blood, jerk. Just because he’s your son doesn’t mean he’ll be evil like you!” she spat, anger fueling her emotions. “Stop using him like he’s some kind of a puppet!”

Haeyoon noticed the small change of color in Jungkook’s eyes again and she’s certain that his subconscious was fighting against the power his father had over him.

“I’m getting tired of this child’s play,” said Magos and gone was the amusement in his eyes replaced with pure evilness that sent shivers down her spine. Within a blink of an eye he’s standing behind Haeyoon. “I think it’s time to get this done and over with.”

It all happened so fast and the next thing she felt was the excruciating pain brought by Magos clawed hand forcefully digging its way through her flesh, aiming for her heart. fell open as a blood-curdling scream escaped her lips. The pain was crippling and black dots started appearing on her vision. Through her blurry vision, she saw a shiny streak down Jungkook’s cheeks and despite his still red eyes, she was sure that those silent tears were for her.

“Fight it, Kookie,” she rasped as Magos was close to reaching her painfully beating heart. “Re-remember who you a-are. You’re a good person and no amount of black blood from anyone can taint the pureness of your…kind heart.”

“Do it now, son,” Magos said, “Finish her.”

However, to his dismay, the young boy remained unmoving. His eyes flickered wildly between red and brown until it remained the warm color that Haeyoon loved so much. She smiled proudly when Jungkook didn’t listen to any of Magos’ order.

“No!” Magos cried in frustration. “Listen to me!”

“You...d-did it,” Haeyoon croaked before coughing out blood.

Jungkook dropped the sword and stared at the terrifying scene in front of him with wide tearful eyes.

With her last remaining strength, Haeyoon lifted up her sword and pointed the tip towards her middle. And as if sensing her plan, Jungkook began shaking his head frantically, muttering a continuous “No, no, no!”

It was like someone had pressed mute and everything seemed to be put on slow motion. Jungkook watched in horror as Haeyoon brought down her arms and the long sharp blade went through her with ease and pierced Magos’ body as well. The evil sorcerer didn’t see it coming and was as defenseless as a deer caught in headlight. The moment the Sword of Light went through him, he knew he’s done.

Jungkook felt his blood ran cold as he stood frozen on his spot, every Light Sorcerer mirroring his horror-struck expression. They all watched as Haeyoon pulled out the sword and whirled around to face Magos before burying the blade again through his heart.

“That is for all the life you took and destroyed,” she growled, twisting the weapon deeper into the sorcerer’s chest, “And for the kingdom that you ruined.”

Magos slipped down to the ground until he was lying right under the sword with Haeyoon struggling to keep herself upright. She can’t succumb to the dark bliss that was calling her just yet; she had to see the light disappear from his eyes on her own.

She stared unblinking at the evil man beneath her. He opened his mouth like a fish out of water but no sound came and she watched in satisfaction until his body burned like a paper lit on fire and turned into ash. His army of shadowy figures all disappeared like him and the nine sorcerers who once called themselves Oraculum had lost the black magic given to them by Magos, making them weaker. Without the power of the Thirteenth Spirit through Magos, Leeteuk and his group was easily oppressed by the Guardians.

Jin, Jimin, Namjoon and Hoseok also returned to normal and were surprised and confused to find themselves holding swords and circling around Yoongi as if they wanted to kill him.

Before her badly beaten could crumple down to the ground, Jungkook was beside Haeyoon in a heart beat and gently cradling her soft delicate body against him. The tears never stopped flowing out of his eyes as blood kept gushing out of her wounds. The gaping hole on her back was beginning to turn black around the edges because of Magos’ poisonous black magic.

“It’s…over,” Haeyoon said in a very weak voice with a blood-stained smile.

“Yes, it is,” Jungkook replied as he slowly rocked her back and forth in his arms. “Just hang in there, you’ll be alright.”

“You’re s-such a cry-baby,” she whispered before her eyes drooped close and Jungkook cried even harder.

* * *

Haeyoon woke up with the lightest feeling in the world. She opened her eyes and found herself nestled in a soft patch of fragrant flowers. Everything around her was so pleasant and when she stood up, she found out that she was actually at the foot of the enormous Tree of Spirit. It was even more enchanting under the shining rays of sunlight. She slowly walked around it, her finger tips brushing the rough bark of the tree until she heard soft murmurs. She perked up at the sounds and looked around her.

“Is anyone there?” she asked as she walked near the edge of the pond. There were tinkling laughter behind her and she whipped her head around to see a large deer looking at her with its big black shimmering eyes. Resting on its huge antlers were beautiful flowers that Haeyoon had never seen before. She noticed two floating tiny lights circling the animals head and before she could even wonder what they are, they turned into two giggling pixies; one with blue wings and one with yellow wings.

“Hello, Haeyoon,” the two tiny creatures greeted her in unison with their tinkling voices.

“Who are you?” she asked in complete curiosity for she never saw them for them to know her name.

“We’re one of the Twelve Spirits that blessed your ancestors a long, long time ago,” the blue-winged one said.

Haeyoon gasped and immediately bowed in respect, “It’s an honor to meet you, Spirits.”

“We wanted to express our gratitude by bringing back peace in our world,” the one with yellow wings said as it flew near her.

“Yes,” the blue one added and flew towards her as well. “We will grant the one wish that your pure heart desires.”

Haeyoon’s eyes widened and the first thing that popped in her mind was Kim Taehyung’s face, making her heart twist painfully inside her chest once more.

“Can you bring back a life that was once lost?” she asked, her voice shaking with emotions.

The two pixies looked at each other before turning to the huge deer that was quietly watching them all this time.

“Bringing back a life comes with a great sacrifice,” the deer said with a deep male voice, speaking for the first time. However, it wasn’t even moving its mouth, as if it was speaking at her through her mind. It walked towards her and she could tell that it held a much higher position than the two pixies.

“I…I would give up my life if that’s what it would take to bring Taehyung back,” Haeyoon said and she had never been so sure in her life. She was prepared to sacrifice everything for him.

“My child, it is him who needed to make the sacrifice,” the deer said. “And it’ll be the most precious thing for him.”

“What more precious thing is there that his own life?” she tilted her head in confusion.

The two pixies giggled, sitting on the deer’s antlers. “You had no idea how much that human boy loves you, Princess. You will be surprised at what’s the most precious thing for him.”

“If you really want to bring him back,” the deer said again, “I’m afraid I will have to take that thing from him in exchange of his life.”

“Please,” Haeyoon said, desperation lacing the edges of her voice. “Just please bring him back.”

“As you wish,” the deer said before its antlers glowed so bright that she had to close her eyes and when she opened them again, she found herself in a bed inside a very familiar looking cabin.

“So…it was just a dream…” she murmured to herself before noticing the mop of brown hair on her left side. She lifted a hand to touch it and the body connected to it stirred. A pale face lifted up with the most dumbstruck expression.

“You’re awake!” Yoongi exclaimed, waking up the person on the other side of her with his loud voice.

“Haeyoon!” she turned her head on her right and saw Jungkook smiling so brightly at her, his eyes glittering with unshed tears. He didn’t hesitate to engulf her in a warm. “I miss you. I miss you. I miss you,” he said while nuzzling his face in her soft neck.

“Yah, yah, yah, don’t hog her all to yourself!” Yoongi complained but there was a smile tugging up at his lips. “I wanna hug her, too!”

“Shut up and just join in the group hug,” Haeyoon said before pulling him into the hug. A smile was painted on her face. “I miss you, guys, so much.”

“We miss you, too,” Yoongi sighed before they reluctantly released her to pour her a glass of water.

“How long have I been out?” she asked as she accepted the glass and downed all of its content.

“Three days,” Yoongi told her.

“That long?”

“Lay said it’s fast even for a sorcerer like you.”

“How about the others?” she asked, gripping the glass a little tighter. “How are they?”

“Everyone’s fine,” he said. “Lucere and all of the people are back to normal.” Then his face got sad as he said, “Mom and dad…they’re really gone.”

Haeyoon bit her lip to stop herself from crying, the parents she knew and grew up with was gone, too, like her real parents. Wordlessly, she pulled Yoongi in an embrace as she felt Jungkook’s large warm hand rubbing soothing circles on her back.

A knock on the door made them break apart and they saw Jackson poking his head through the door.

“Uh, guys, breakfast is re— ,” he stopped himself midsentence when he saw Haeyoon’s alive and bright eyes. “Oh my god! You’re awake!” he exclaimed ecstatically before running away from the cabin while shouting, “She’s awake! Haeyoon’s awake!”

The three of them laughed and soon Haeyoon was swarmed with hugs and kisses from the people who loved her.

“Okay, okay, let her rest now,” Kyungsoo said to everyone as they were all cramped in her room. “That’s enough visiting for today.”

The Guardians and Hunters grudgingly walked out of her room expect Yoongi and Jungkook who wouldn’t even leave her side for a second.

“Hey, Yoongi,” she said when they were just three left. “Is…is…Taehyung…okay?” she dared to ask, holding to her dream that felt so real.

Yoongi stiffened as he exchanged glances with Jungkook. He his lips nervously and said, “He’s fine…he miraculously survived death…Even Lay was amazed, I mean he’s literally dead but then his heart beat again…but…”

Haeyoon’s brow furrowed and she frowned. “What’s wrong?” Something must be wrong because she had never seen her bestfriend since she woke up while all their other human friends had been there when Jackson announced to everyone that she was already awake. 

As if on cue they heard some voices outside the cabin and Haeyoon was sure that it was Jimin’s voice and it sounds like he was arguing with someone.

“Did you knock your head or something?” Jimin asked. “Go on inside, take a look at her, she’s been waiting for you, idiot.”

There was a muffled answer from Taehyung and she didn’t quite catch it.

“Tae, don’t be stupid,” this time it was Namjoon then the door burst open, revealing a distressed looking Taehyung with Jin, Jimin, Namjoon and Hoseok behind him. It looked like they had forced him and pushed him inside the cabin.

“Hey, Hayoonie!” Hoseok greeted when Taehyung didn’t say anything and just stared at the ground.

She smiled back at him before turning her attention back to a frowning Taehyung.

“Tae, what’s wrong?” she asked and that’s when the orange-haired boy lifted up his head. It’s strange that he wasn’t running to her side like he used to when he missed her so much. It’s almost as if he wasn’t happy to see her alive and well after all.

“Um, I’m sorry but they kept on telling me that you’re my bestfriend and all but I really can’t remember you at all,” he said while rubbing the back of his neck in uneasiness. “I’m really sorry but I don’t know you.” With that said, he walked out the door and Haeyoon felt like dying for the second time, except this time she didn’t pass out and she was conscious enough to feel the pain eating her heart away.

“Aish, that kid, I’ll talk to him,” Jin said before following Taehyung out the door.

“We really didn’t know what happen,” Namjoon said. “He remembers everything clearly, but the only thing he can’t seem to remember is you.”

“He’s like that the moment he woke up,” said Jimin with a shake of his head. “It’s so strange.”

Then she remembered the deer’s words before it all clicked inside her head.

The most precious thing for him.

“It’s his memories of me,” she said softly to herself as silent tears rolled down her cheeks, “It’s the sacrifice in exchange of his life.”

“Haeyoon…” Yoongi looked at her sister with sad eyes and he can’t help but bring her in a hug.

She can’t believe that the most precious thing for Kim Taehyung is his memories of her.


Author's Note:

Next chapter would probably be the last. OMG...finally.

This is un-edited and kind of rushed, I wanted to finish before the year ends. lol. I'm sorry if you're unsatisfied.