Aching Eyes, Heavy Hearts

Crumb-o [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another dollar, another day. A hard one, at least for Wendy, although no one knows everyone's mind. But if one knew Irene's mind, it was Yerim, and trusting her words, her sister was having what she called a "mental breakdown".

 

The sixteen year-old spent hours trying to budge into her sister's brain. Still, she had no idea whether it was the so called mid-fifties crisis or just another daily drama in the life of a young adult. She was afraid it could be both.

 

Still, it didn't matter which one, she just wanted to help out. But Irene wasn't like that, she wouldn't want to concern her little sister with self troubles. However, could that at least stop her curiosity? Most probably not.

 

So Yerim was going to do the thing she knew best: be annoying until her unnie spilled the beans.

 

[...]

 

She was smiling in her sleep. It was weird since Yerim had no idea of what were Irene's sleeping habits because she never really saw her fall asleep, but maybe that was common and it didn't mean anything... Except it did. It was okay though, because the young girl knew nothing.

 

She thought about waking her up and starting to question her like she was a celebrity on a press conference, but maybe that would be too harsh and Yerim was not that person. So she instead settled on being kimchi sneaky and getting Irene off guard. She could easily trick her into saying things without thinking them through, that was her weak point anyway.

 

“W-Wendy…” Irene muttered, a single small smile raising on her lips.

 

“Huh? Wendy?” Her sister was surprised. Who was Wendy, and why did that name escape her unnie’s mouth?

 

Wondering was all she could do, at least for the time being.

 

Irene was slowly beginning to wake up, and her sister quickly layed down beside her and pretended to be sleeping as well. The eldest got her head up, covered her eyes and sighed heavily.

 

“Why did I wake up?” Her voice was still sleepy. “Yerim-ah… Why did your unnie wake up?” She patted her sister’s head.

 

“Unnie, don’t ask me something I don’t know…” She pretended to be in the same state as Irene. “Didn’t unnie have said she had something important today?”

 

Irene froze for a second. She had forgotten about the da- about the meeting with Wendy in her house. The latter suggested about a day where Irene could come over to her house so she could teach her how to make some recipes by herself so she wouldn’t be so dependant on Wendy.

 

She liked depending on Wendy, but at the same time she felt bad about having the girl explaining every little detail since getting bored easily was a thing. Plus, she could get to know her better and that already made her heart get excited with the idea of being so close to her.

 

Irene didn’t think her organism could take up so much at one single time. She hoped for the best, expected the worst.

 

“Thanks for reminding me, Yerim-ah. I’ll go take a shower, you do the same afterwards.” And she kissed Yerim’s forehead, leaving the room shortly after.

 

[...]

 

Wendy was feeling confused. Of all things she could feel, that was the only thing clouding her mind.

 

She didn’t remember ever feeling her stomach flutter like that day before, or at least it was never that strong for her to remember. Something was clear though, the someone transforming her into a pile of nervousness was definitely Irene.

 

There was something about her she couldn't quite touch upon. Although she was clearly beautiful, Wendy didn't feel like that was the reason behind the effect in her. It was probably something else, but the aspiring baker could never find out what since she was lost in her own world many times by herself, too occupied to look at others perspectively.

 

Wendy wasn’t good in reading people, and that’s something she openly admitted. But rest assured, she needed to brighten up her abilities to survive the rollercoaster that she was living. Or else…

 

The doorbell rang before she could think of something bad. She ran to open the door, almost slipping as the usual nervousness filled her self by whole. And when she opened it, a smile welcomed her like they were long time friends.

 

"Hey," Irene started, the smile never leaving her face. "It took me awhile to find your house, all the doors look the same in this neighborhood." She pouted slightly, but the smile came bac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter