The Truth I've Been Hiding

Crumb-o [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun seemed too bright, it was blinding me. But still, all I wanted to do was sit on the porch and watch that girl play with the snow.

 

She was beautiful, and so to the point not even the bright sun could compete with the way she glowed.

 

Her eyes were innocent, her pale features enlightening to the point my skin shivered when I thought of them. And she always held that smile, that entrancing pair of lips that molded into the most complex perfection I could ever stare at.

 

For a moment, all she did was throw a snowball at one of her friends, but then, she turned and our eyes met.

 

I was frozen for an instant, but I broke out of the stare and ran inside my house, the muscle in my chest beating so fast, my cheeks redder than what the cold could do to me.

 

--

 

She was now selling cupcakes throughout the neighborhood. I could smell them if I concentrated enough while staring out the open window.

 

I found it cute that the only reason why she wouldn't sell one particular cupcake was because she was saving it for someone... How lucky must that someone be, to get exclusive rights to a cupcake especially made by her.

 

Thinking about it too much made me mad, so I avoided the topic for a moment.

 

She was almost finished with the tray when I saw her heading my way. My house's way, of course.

 

I panicked and ducked, my heart beating fast in nervousness. I could hear the steps, coming on the stairs, walking on the porch, finally stopping right in front of the door.

 

She knocked exactly three times.

 

"Is anyone there? Hello?" She spoke, her soft and curious voice filling up my ears.

 

I pressed my lips together trying not to whimper.

 

"Why is the window opened?"

 

I looked up and saw her hands placed on the window's base.

 

(Please don't look down, please don't look down, please don't...)

 

"Hello? Seems like no one's home. I'll just leave this right here then." She placed the last cupcake right where her hands were and went her way, walking slow and decisive steps.

 

For a young girl she was so ambitious.

 

After I was sure she was gone, I got up from my ducking position and sighed. "That was close."

 

I finally looked at the cupcake she left on the window and wondered why she just left it here without waiting for the payment.

 

"Well, I better not let it go to waste."

 

[...]

 

Irene wakes up feeling a tick of pain on her neck and a lot of pain in her head. She never thought those memories would return to her mind, especially at a time like this when everything seems to be going so well.

 

The guilt seems to be always stored within herself, but now it's going to consume her any minute if she doesn't do anything to stop it.

 

She glances Wendy, who is lying just beside her on the... Bed?

 

Irene tries to remember how did they end up on the bed when they were clearly staying on the couch in the living room.

 

But the only thing in her mind is the dream, and she eventually gives up to the doubt.

 

Irene gets out of the bed, but before she can even react a hand pulls her back and she ends up falling right on top of Wendy.

 

"You're not escaping me so fast." She whispers, and that's enough to give her chills.

 

Hands tighten around her waist and warm breath touches her neck, and she swallows nothing but air.

 

"W-Wendy-"

 

"Shh, don't talk. Let's just stay like this for a while, 'kay?" The girl nuzzles her face in the crook of Irene's neck and the latter shivers with the touch.

 

"Are you feeling better?"

 

"Much better. But I don't think I ever wanna leave this bed."

 

Irene wanted to say “me neither”, but that was just too tempting to be actually good and so she fought Wendy’s scent in her head, trying hard to think of something that would help to pull her and herself out the bed. The same bed she didn’t even know how she got in first hand.

 

“That brings something to my head. How did you and I end up here when we were on the couch?” She started drawing circles on Wendy’s shoulder with her index finger, smiling when she felt the grasp on her waist turn into a comfy and warm hug, her hands caressing her back.

 

“You fell asleep and I carried you. Good enough of an answer?”

 

“Works for me. Mind joining me in the kitchen or you are still feeling too lazy?”

 

“I don’t mind, but if you want me to leave this bed you’re gonna have to work it up.”

 

Irene had a confused expression on her face trying to think how was she supposed to ‘work it up’. By the time she figured it out, her smile was the smuggest a smile could ever be.

 

She pulled away from Wendy’s grasp and got up, walking to the door. “Good luck kissing me while you're still in that bed.” And she ran to the kitchen before the girl could protest.

 

Wendy sighed in defeat, following short after.

 

[...]







 

Wendy found it curious that there was always a certain spark in Joohyun's eyes when she looked at her. It was like seeing someone fall into your eyes, every single time you looked at them, and you couldn't help but think "Why are they looking at me like that? What do I have that is special?", but that smile made it all very worth it even though she could only wonder.

 

Joohyun had also grown to be special to Wendy, specially at her darkest times where obscurity was clouding her mind. When that happened, Bae Joohyun always knew exactly what to do to make the darkness go away.

 

Wendy felt like the luckiest at times like that. She felt like the world couldn't ever repress her when her hands were intertwined with hers. Just like magic.

 

And sometimes, she caught herself feeling a newfound happiness that only made sense because Joohyun was right there.

 

She smiled at the cookie dough.

 

"You're making me jealous." The voice broke her thoughts.

 

"How?" She grinned at the girl who was decorating cupcakes happily.

 

"Smiling like that to the cookies. Makes me jealous of them." She faked a sad expression then laughed, that hearty laugh which made Wendy get tons of butterf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter