Level 06

Genesis

The oppression is so thick one should be careful not to choke.

-11.15.102,011

 

‘Ding’, that was the sound that alerted  the occupants of the elevator that its doors were about to open. When the metal doors did open they let in a cold gust of air from the dimly lit hallway before it. The hallway looked as though it had not been touched in years, it probably hadn’t been. The only traces of life were the rats that scattered along the ground and the graffiti that littered the walls.

 

“Now, it might take a moment for the elevator to start going down, but do not worry.” She told the males softly as her legs carried her out of the elevator. They gave light nods though their faces looked rather perplexed. “All elevators are programed to not go below level 100, I guess this one was missed.” She told them motioning to themselves.

 

“You guys cannot come back, not now that you know how dangerous it is for you.” The males nodded as they stood quietly before the . None of them made a sound and neither did Nia. She knew that once they parted they would not meet again and so did the males. They could not meet again.

 

She had meant to say more when the doors began to close as they were only programmed to stay open so long. Nia went to take a step forward and stop them only to be stopped by a hand raising and motioning to stay still and not go any further than she already had.

 

“Stay safe and try not to get yourselves killed!” She called raising her voice to yell over the sounds of the elevator creaking to get the doors closed. Before they closed Nia was able to catch just one more glimpse of a gummy smile and pair of onyx eyes before they would be blocked from her view forever.

 

Once the doors had closed all the sounds were cut off and Nia stood in the silence with her gaze firmly trained on the door. She was right, she could feel the cold seeping into her bones as she  turned and made her way to the closest elevator.

 

After wandering around the level for a short amount of time, Nia was able to find the elevator she had looked up earlier in the morning. It was the only one near by that went up to a decent level where she could transfer to another elevator to take her to her classes for the day.

 

Nia was thankful when she found the elevator was closer than she had originally assessed. Climbing aboard Nia leaned her head against the padded wall of the elevator, this one was in much better shape than the previous one and looked like it had recently been upgraded.

 

By the time the elevator reached Level 260 Nia had cleaned her face of the distressed emotions and made her way through the dank hallways as she took off and stashed her rebreather away. They were lit with lights that flickered every few moments and the walls had an ugly yellow color to them.

 

The unappealing look of the hallway was unsurprising to Nia seeing as the only people that ever really came down so far below Level 400 were people who were just as unappealing. Still, it was sad to look at the place.

 

“Excuse me,” Nia called to a male who was with a young child. The man had a scornful look on his face as he turned. The expression the male wore automatically dropped as he gazed at Nia. “I seem to be lost, could you tell me where the nearest elevator that will take me to Level 560 is?” Nia had decided her lie was good enough as the male looked over Nia in glee.

 

“We’re going that direction, I could show you.” Nia was surprised at his offer, but nodded none the less. She knew not to trust strangers too much, but she had pepper spray. “Alright, lets get going then!” The male gave her a bright heartshaped smile as he led her away.

 

The journey was rather silent as the went along. The little girl who held onto the male kept her gaze on Nia not looking away for a moment. It was not something Nia was unused to as she had grown up with people staring at her.

 

“Miss,” The little girl called after a few moments of walking. “Why are someone as pretty as you down here?” The little girl shrugged off the males lecture of her wording and instead settled for staring at Nia in wait of her answer.

 

“Like I told him,” Nia spoke motioning to the male with them. “I was lost and ended up down here.” The little girl nodded slowly, but frowned obviously not liking Nia’s answer. “Why is such a pretty little girl like you down here?” Nia questioned back and the little girl let out a soft giggle and hid a bashful smile.

 

It was true too, the little girl was also much too pretty to be down so far. The girl was fair skinned with long brown hair that looked soft to the touch and brown eyes that shone with glee when Nia complimented her. Her cute looks even shown through the less than unattractive clothing she wore.

 

“Today is her judgement day.” Came her male companion's voice. “We are actually on our way to see the council now. We’ll be a little early though” He added on looking down at his watch. Taking a look at the male Nia could see that he would fit in with the desirables, but he was not dressed as nicely as she and people at her level so he was most likely placed with the average or below average desirables.

 

Nia’s eyes widened as she looked the little girl over. She was going to judgement is those clothes? Nia knew that no matter what it was your physical looks that mattered, but if she went in like that she would definitely be placed lower on the totem.

“She’s, uhm, not going in this is she?” Nia whispered to the male motioning to the little girl. The male was silent for a few seconds as she assumed he too looked over the littlest one. “I’m not trying to be rude, but was there nothing nicer?” She really did not want to step on a sore spot though with her lucky she obviously would.

 

“Listen, Nia right?” Nia was shocked that the male knew her name and nodded stupidly. “Not everyone comes from great genes,” The male told her a hostile edge to his tone. “We cannot all buy the best clothing and this is the nicest thing she owns.” His clipped tone told Nia he did not want to share anymore words.

 

Of course, they were siblings and Nia had not only just insulted the girls parents and family, but his as well. And she was able to do this all without trying. Nia could see the males heart-shaped lips tug downwards and mentally hit herself at not realizing the resemblance to the sweet little girl sooner.

 

Stopping Nia peered the male down as he also stopped causing the little girl to stop as well. Nia glared at the male. She had not meant to offend him and she had pointed that out to him. Nia saw the males mouth drop and could tell he was about to start apologizing and stopped him with a raised hand just as Yifan had earlier that day.

 

“What is your name?” Nia questioned turning her gaze to the little girl. She was obviously confused, but after receiving a slight nod from her brother replied with a gentle ‘Soojung’ as she twisted her hands into the dirt brown dress she wore. Nia could see the girl was nervous and now she knew why. Soojung obviously had little interactions with those in the desirable class.

 

“Soojung,” Nia bent down as she called gaining the young girl’s attention from her hands. “How would you like to go shopping, just really quick and get a nice new dress with me?” Nia questioned a smile on her face as she looked at the littler girl. Soojung’s face lite up with glee as if she had heard it was giving day.

 

Upon seeing Soojung’s face lite up so brightly Nia realized how pretty the little girl really was and knew that she had to make everyone else see it as well. If she was not deemed pretty enough then she may be banished to live in such lowly conditions as the ones she was currently in for the rest of her life and Nia was not going to let that happen.

 

“What?” Her brother called in shock. “There are no shops near here that are anywhere near our price range!” Soojung let out a cry of ‘Kyungsoo!’ and Nia realized that she had met the male before and he was definitely in the desirable class, he had even shared a few classes with her.

 

“I’ll pay for it.” Nia told him without a second thought. “She’s beautiful and deserves to be judged as so or do you not want her to move up in life?” Kyungsoo’s voice dropped and Nia knew she had one their argument. “Good, my favorite store makes clothing for people of all ages and it is only a structure away from the judgement building.” Soojung was bouncing with joy at Nia’s words and it caused both of the older people with her to also smile at the her happiness.

 

A child’s happiness could make any lonely moment seem less so.

 

By the time that they had nearly finished picking out a new outfit for Soojung she was nearly unrecognizable. Nia smiled at her handy work as she had not let either Kyungsoo or Soojung pick anything out, they had both kept going for mud brown for some reason. Still, Nia felt that something was missing as she stared down at Soojung.

 

Nia mumbled unhappily as she watched the little girl prance through the walk that led between the stores building and the judgement building. The little girl marvelled at the glass walls which allowed one to look outside and see the city around them. Kyungsoo had pleaded that they leave as they were running short on time before Soojung’s appointment and Nia seceded even if she was unhappy about it.

 

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo told her his voice soft as the smile that graced his lips while he too watched Soojung skipping about. Her long hair flew around her as she spun back and waved to the two following her. “She’s never been this happy, so thank you.” Kyungsoo must have known that Soojung had better chances now that she was so bright and happy, desirable people were always smiling.

 

“I’m sorry,” Nia told him gently not accustomed to apologizing to those deemed beneath her. “About earlier, I really had not meant to insult you or your family.” Kyungsoo simply let out an uncommitted grunt yet still he rained a sweet smile over her that made her feel forgiven even without saying a word.

 

Running her finger through her hair Nia sighed racking her brain for what the little girl was missing. Normally Nia would never worry about something so small, but she had already gone out of her way to help the little girl so she wanted to do it perfectly. However she could not get a good look at the little girl as she kept spinning making her hair go in every direction.

 

“That’s it!” Nia cried shocking both companions. Quickening her pace Nia caught up with Soojung and immediately started rearranging her hair. She tucked down all of the fly aways and flattened the long expanses of luscious brown locks.

 

“What are you doing?” Kyungsoo’s voice cried as he grabbed Nia’s arm to stop her when she moved to pull her hairband from her head. “You can’t, you’ve already done so much! That’s too much Nia.” His voice was a frenzy, but Nia easily pulled her arm from his grasp.

 

“There we go.” Nia smiled as she looked Soojung over, she was perfect. “Now, I know one-hundred and ten percent, you will be sorted into the desirable class.” Nia told the younger girl as she gently took her hands.

 

Soojung removed her hands from Nia’s and reached up to touch the headband. She tried to remove it, but Nia stopped her by pulling her hands back down and giving a shake of her head. Soojung was frozen for a moment before throwing herself at Nia.

 

Laughing Nia caught Soojung’s tiny form in her arms. Hearing the chiming of the tower Nia realized that their time was numbered and tried to pull the little girl away, but she refused to be parted. Sighing Nia stood up and motioned to Kyungsoo that they begin walking seeing as they could not be late.

 

“Jungie you have to let go now, okay?” A violent shake of the head told Kyungsoo he was not going to get his way. They had been trying to get her to let go, but she was refusing. “You can’t miss this meeting!” He cried trying to pull the smaller girl from the other. He only stopped when Nia gently pried his hands from her.

 

“Hey,” Nia cooed to the little girl. “If you don’t appear at the meeting they will put you into the undesirable class and we’ll never see each other again.” Nia could feel the girl stiffen at her words and sent Kyungsoo a sly look knowing she had hit the nerve she wanted to and that it was only a matter of words to get the girl off of her.

 

“You want to see Nia again, right?” Kyungsoo questioned and the little girl nodded quickly in agreement. “Then you have to let go for now and go to the meeting and once you’re sorted you can see her again.” Kyungsoo rubbed circles into the little girls back and it made Nia wish she had her own older brother to do such things when she was Soojung’s age.

 

“Promise?” Came Soojung’s soft voice from against Nia’s shoulder. “Promise you’ll see me again?” She questioned her breath tickling Nia’s neck as it washed over her skin. “You won’t go poof, right?” Nia knew there was no way the little girl could get any more adorable.

 

“I promise.” Nia told the small girl as she finally pried her away. “Now, you need to go in there and give them your brightest smile. Tell them how nice they look, use all your best manners and answer ever question politely. Do not mumble and no eye-contact, okay? Show them you are desirable.” Nia gave Soojung the same directions her mother had given her.

 

A soft nod was all Soojung was able to give before a woman dressed in a form fitted grey suit-dress came out and called for a ‘Do Soojung’. Soojung looked up at Nia with fear on her features, but all Nia could really give her was a smile of reassurance.

 

With a look of determination and a sweet ‘see you soon’ Soojung walked over to the woman and greeted her with a smile so bright even the stone faced woman returned it, breaking protocol. They then proceeded back after informing Kyungsoo that he would soon be called back.

 

Both of the desirable were left staring at the white door as it swung shut. Gazing over at Kyungsoo Nia could see the worried look on his face. He chewed at his plump lower lip and his brow furrowed as he stared at the bland door.

 

“You’ll get wrinkles doing that.” Nia joked snapping Kyungsoo from his trance. “I am sure she will make it through, she is very beautiful and sweet. You have nothing to worry about.” Nia told him softly and hesitantly set a hand on his shoulder.

 

“Why do all of this?” He questioned looking down at her hand on her shoulder. “I can’t pay you back. I’m not nearly as desirable as you are and you have nothing to gain from all of this. So why?” His frown only became deeper and deeper as he scowled at her.

 

“Did I ask you to pay me back?” Nia hissed at the male who automatically recoiling. “Everyone deserves a chance at happiness, and if being labelled as desirable will give them that then should we not help each other as much as possible?” Nia her heel and strutted away from where Kyungsoo stood head lowered

 

“Oh and tell me when she makes it through.” Nia stopped and peered back at the male who nodded just the slightest bit. “I’d like to congratulate her and I do not expect anything for that either.” Her words were fiery, but he had hurt her pride in assuming she wanted something for helping him out. He did not know her and how she was, he had no right to just assume that of her.

 

Without further ado Nia continued on her way from Kyungsoo and the judgement building. It really had been a day of judgement for her that day. The look on Kyungsoo’s face as he questioned her reminded her of Minseok’s as he did the same earlier on.

 

Was Nia that horrible of  a person that everyone felt the right to judge her?

 

Nia’s desire to do anything that day had died away and she just wanted to curl up in a ball in her resting and sleep for a few years. She had sent away the first new people to make her happy in years and then she was degraded by someone below her after all she did to help him and his little sister. she was defeated and humiliated.

 

A voice calling her name alerted Nia that someone was trying to gain her attention. She tried to ignore it, but upon realizing who it was she turned and came face to face with the voice's owner. It was her neighbor and another highly desirable male, Jongin.

 

“What can I do for you?” Again with the fake politeness. Jongin was a good kid, he was friends with Sehun though she much prefered him to Jongin. The male before her was handsome, devilishly so and he knew it. Jongin often brought people to his place, it did not matter if they  were male or female and those people never left until the morning siren sounded.

 

“Just wondering about the group of males outside of your place?” He questioned a smirk playing across his face as he sent her a sly look. She knew he was really a sweet boy, but sometimes his teasing was too much. “They were pretty good looking, but they turned me down when I offered to let them come into mine.” At those words his smirk tugged downwards, no one turned down Jongin.

 

“I have no idea about what you are speaking of.” Nia told him heaving out a heavy sigh. “Last I checked there were no people in or around my apartment.” It was true too. Since she had left with the others that morning there was no one in her home and she had not seen anyone outside of it when they left.

 

“Oh, so then I imagined the group of desirable males loitering outside of your place?” Jongin tilted his head with an eyebrow raised. Nia gave a shrug of her shoulders, it was not a motion she often made as it was unlady like. She was not in the mood to converse with him any longer as she could see he was just teasing her as that was once a problem when she first moved in, guys hanging around her door all hours of the day to try and talk with her.

 

As Nia began to leave him she could hear Jongin murmur about the cute one with single eyelids and a gummy smile. His words had caught Nia off guard and she stopped in her tracks before whirling around and gripping tightly onto Jongin’s wrist.

 

“What, now you’re interested? Maybe I don’t have anything to say then!” He teased, but his laughter was cut off by Nia’s grip on his wrist tightening. “Alright, sheesh taking a chill pill.” He called pulling his arm from her grip. “There was a cute one with monolids and a gummy smile, they called him Minsun or something!” Jongin whined as he rubbed at his wrist.

 

Minseok!

 

Not caring what Jongin thought or what he would say to others she ran off in the direction of her building trying to get to her home as quickly as she could. After passing two bridges and an elevator ride filled with people who smelled like they had not bathed in a week Nia finally made it to Level 915 and shot out the door leaving several people grunting in  annoyance as she pushed and shoved her way out possibly even stepping on a few toes along the way.

 

She was in such a hurry she accidently slammed into a wall when she missed a turn. Unperturbed Nia kept her feet moving as she needed to see if the person Jongin spoke of was also the person that she was thinking of.

 

“But, shouldn’t we be trying to hide? Nia said it was dangerous for us!” The voice Nia knew belonged to Luhan questioned as Nia came closer to the corner. She could hear the deep voice she knew was Yifan’s question where exactly they could hide at which stopped any argument Luhan would have made.

 

“Hey!” It was definitely not Nia’s most graceful greeting, but that did not matter as she approached the males who were sitting outside of her apartment door looking like they were waiting for something or rather someone. “What are you doing?” She questioned, but without a second thought jumped into Tao’s arms which had opened the moment he spotted her.

 

The warmth that had been void since the males had left her that morning had returned the moment she heard them squabbling. It was a worrying situation for Nia. She had known them for such a short amount of time and yet their absence made her more sad than that of anyone else who had left her.

 

“I think that is something we should talk about inside.” Yifan growled as he pulled Nia out of Tao’s clutches and moved her towards the door. If it had been anyone else Nia would have more than likely snapped and assaulted the person man handling her in such a way, but Nia had figured it was just the way that Yifan was.

 

 

Complying with Yifan’s pushy movements Nia pressed her hand to the pad and had the door open to allow them access to her apartment. She let the males in before following quickly after them and finding them already sitting around the sofa in her living area.

 

“It was locked.” Yifan told her angrily. “I thought you said it would let us down!” He hissed glaring at Nia from his spot near her window as he was the only one standing. It was showing the view of the city below and around them, there was not much above though.

 

“What happened? I thought it was unlocked.” Nia told him taking her spot at the chair. She received several negative shakes of the head. The boys all looked rather shook up and they were slightly more dirty than she had left them with looks of disappointment maring their handsome faces.

 

“We waited for it to go down like you said and then when it did nothing we tried jumping and pressing all of the buttons below Level 100. “Then suddenly, the doors locked and an alarm sounded from outside.” Yifan looked as though he was about to hit something and Nia feared he might actually do it.

 

An alarm? Nia had never heard of such a thing happening. She had heard plenty of stories of teenagers going down and trying to get below Level 100, but none of them had ever made it. Some of her classmates had even tried going down. From what she knew they all eventually gave up and stopped going.

 

“I swear, I had no clue that was going to happen.” Nia told them not wanting them to think that she was trying to sell them out. “I thought it would work since you all had made it up. How did you get up here anyway?” She had just realized that she had never actually questioned how they even found the elevator.

 

“We had heard of the sky people, like we told you, and we found one of the doorways. We were told if you pressed the summoning device it would come.” From what Minseok was saying she knew they had used the call button to get the elevator to them. “We tried the first floor and it didn’t work, neither did the other ones after it and finally Yifan just hit the highest one and it started going.” Minseok’s face looked like he had aged ten years.

 

Analyzing everything that Minseok had said Nia realized what had happened and she knew that the males were not going to like what she had to tell them. Nia knew it would be like a stab to the heart and seeing their faces, so hopeful that she could help, made her want to tell them even less. Yet, she knew she had to, she had no right to keep it from them.

 

“I think I know what is going on.” She told them gravely and the boys all slid to the edge of their seats, excitement plain on their faces. “It is not good news.” With those words the expressions on the boys wilted and they looked worried as they sunk back down into the cushions of her couch.

 

“You can tell us, we won’t be angry with you!” Tao chirped trying to be positive. He took Nia’s had giving it a light squeeze of reassurance, but even that could not stop Nia from worrying over what  she would have to tell them.

 

“Several years back the council took it upon themselves to lock all of the elevator buttons below Level 100, some were even taken out.” It had been before Nia’s time, most of the elevators Nia rode did not even have a button below Level 100.

 

“Hold on,” Jongdae questioned peering at Nia through narrowed eyes. “If you knew that the buttons wouldn’t do anything then why did you tell us to do it?” He had a good point too and Nia could see the others nod in agreement.

 

“Naturally, I assumed since you came up that elevator that it had somehow been missed.” Nia chewed at her upper lip as she looked down at the tan hand that was still encasing her own.  “The elevator was old and out of the way so I thought maybe the workers had forgotten about it.” She felt stupid in hindsight for having just assumed something so important.

 

“Oh god, I’m so sorry!” She cried clutching onto Tao’s hand as though he would pull it away and deep down she really feared he might. “The reason that none of those buttons worked was because they were locked, you only made it up because the call button was not locked. The elevator cannot go below Level 100.” Nia could feel her stomach fall at the words.


“So, we are trapped here?”

 


 

(A/N): Sorry for there being less of our M boys in this one , but I wanted to build on Nia and her character for you guys!