Level 11

Genesis

Outfit for the chapter

 

The world will make even the sweetest person heartless.

-08.13.102,015

 

The house was filled with noise as the group of males were flying everywhere apparently trying to find everything they would need to help the little dying plant. Nia did not believe that they could. If the people who were in charge of keeping the plants alive could not save the thing then how were the boys supposed to? She could practically see her money disappearing and not for a good reason as she could not see the plant making it for much longer. Nia had pulled together most of her money to be able to buy a new plant for the males and they decided to waste it on a dying little bundle of greens. She was about to rip her hair out because of the idiots.

 

“Yixing where is the water?” Tao cried as he grabbed handfuls of dirt from Nia’s other plants. He was acting like he was about to perform a life altering surgery, they all were. Yixing was freaking out saying her water was dirty while Luhan was saying they needed more lighting. “Hurry and bring it here so I can save him!” So the plant was a male? What even went on inside of Tao’s head that would make him believe that the plant was a a male. Nia had a half a mind to ask, but decided that ultimately she did not want to know. Tao looked about ready to cry and frankly it was scaring her a bit. She knew he was excited, but there was no need to cry over the little plant. She could always save up and buy him another.

 

“Just wait, I need to boil the water, it’s too dirty right now!” Boil the water, was Yixing planning to cook something? What was boiled water going to do for the plant that could save it? Nia decided to just quietly watch as Yixing filled a pot before putting it on to boil before going over and helping the other two. They were taking the task so seriously and it would have been comical if she had not known the repercussions of their possible failure. Nia knew that if the plant died the males taking care of it would all begin crying and she was not about to try and deal with that. Even Jongdae was watching them carefully from his seat at the dining table.

 

At least Minseok and Yifan were acting somewhat normal. They were acting odd to, just not as enraptured with the plant as the others. Instead, Minseok kept pressuring Nia to go to her garden room, the both of them. Yifan on the other hand was trying to make sure that they did no such thing. The taller male was hell-bent on Nia teaching him to bake cookies? It was not something she would assume that the male liked to do so it had caught her attention when he asked her to teach him. Minseok was rather angry when she agreed and latched himself to her back in a hug.

 

Hearing a victorious yell the three bakers looked over to the other four and found them  surrounding the little dying plant. Nia could see the little green and brown shoots that looked no different, in her opinion. Why they were screaming and celebrating was beyond her. Looking over to Minseok there was only a shrug and sweet smile as her reply. Deciding that she was not going to get anymore of an answer Nia gave the same in return before turning back to scold Yifan about his inability to roll dough correctly. Was it really so hard to make a ball?

 

“Nia, come on,” Minseok whined into Nia’s ear. His grip had not lessened from the second his arms had claimed their place around her. “There is something I need to give you.” This peaked Nia’s interest. She wondered what it could be. For a split second she wondered if maybe he had taken something from the Green Sector. The idea of Minseok doing something so reckless was immediately cast from the girl’s mind, he was probably the most responsible person she knew. Well, that and the fact that he barely left her side while they were out. “It will only take a moment, promise!” Minseok was using all the persuasion he could muster to get her to follow along.

 

“All right,” Nia nodded slowly watching warily as Minseok jumped happily from her body before grabbing her hand and pulling her away. “I’ll be back.” She assured Yifan who looked about ready to throw a fit. The words were vague as she really did not have any clue if she really would be ‘right back’. Nia was in no way stupid. She knew the tallest did not want her going with Minseok. The only thing she did not know was why he was so against it. He had been acting strange ever since she had returned with Minseok from the Sakura Section. Yifan’s resistance to them leaving the group just made Nia want to go with Minseok even more. Teach the giant to try to intimidate her for information about her dating life.

 

Entering the garden room Minseok led Nia over to one of the more ‘sunny’ areas in the room. To her surprise there was a blanket and book laid out along with two drinks. Looking over to Minseok Nia found him blushing cutely and rubbing nervously at his neck. It struck her as odd. No matter how many new sides to Minseok Nia thought she had found there was always another waiting to be found. She was always left feeling like she understood him and then he would show that she really did not know much about the person in front of her. It was always a ride to be with Minseok. And, as much as she learned about him she was also learning about herself. She was learning about what she really felt and about those who really meant something to her.

 

Nia was not even slightly surprised when Minseok asked her to read the book to him. He had done it on multiple occasions. The would sometimes be with the others, but more often than not they were alone. It was like their own private time. In the short two months that they had known each other it was something that the two of them had made their own, something that felt wrong to do with any of the others. Nia liked to think that even if there was another person who could read that Minseok would still only go to her to be read to. She had actually turned down the others a few times unless it would be for the whole group. She read with Yifan in the room, but never aloud. She knew the others felt dejected, but she had also delegated certain activities to them. Games for Jongdae, animal time with Luhan, music time with Yixing, cuddle time with Tao and star gazing with Yifan.

 

Having those separate activities with each of the males made Nia grow closer with each. They had only known each other for a short amount of time and if her gut was right then their time in her, no their, home was coming to an end. She wanted to know as much as she could about each of the males, not as a group, but as individuals and people. The group was easy enough for her to meld with. They were inviting and kind to Nia, never setting her aside when they had important discussions and instead forcing her to join. It was something she reveled in, the oneness that being in their group gave her. The feeling was one she had never before received while in the presence of another human. Only Ola had ever really made the girl feel need and that was when the cat was in a good mood and wanted rubs.

 

“You know,” Minseok interrupted Nia’s readings as he stared up at her from his place on her lap. “I heard your conversation with Yifan that time after we had first come here.” Nia had no clue what he was talking about. She had conversed with Yifan more than most of the others because of their stargazing time. “You aren’t selfish and you are a good person, at least in my opinion.” Minseok was looking at Nia as if it was the truest thing he had ever said. “I am sure the others would agree too.” The words were sweet and the made the girl’s heart beat quicker and quicker with each one he uttered. She knew that not everyone outside of their home would agree on those words, but at least the people she really cared about thought so.

 

Feeling that their reading time was over Nia decided instead to run her fingers through Minseok’s hair. She found a few days before how soft the tresses were and ever since she had developed somewhat of a habit of gliding through the rough strands. They stayed there in an effortlessly comfortable silence for as long as they could. It had been a long day and they both needed the rest. Minseok had seen and done so many new things that he felt physically exhausted. She on the other hand had felt so many things that her brain felt as though it were about to turn to mush. Nia felt bad that she had told Yifan that she would be right back and yet there she was sitting without a thought of going back.

 

That is until Jongdae ran  in telling her that Yifan had lit the kitchen ablaze.

 

Both jumped from their relaxed positions and ran for the kitchen. When they arrived Nia found that Jongdae had over exaggerated, but she was still glad he did. The oven was on fire and if left for much long it would catch the ablaze. Quickly Nia grabbed the fire extinguisher and sprayed it all over the fire making sure not to miss an inch. From somewhere behind her she could hear Tao crying about his plant almost being burnt and Nia just wanted to hit him. Yifan had almost burnt down the entire apartment and Tao was worried about a plant? His brain and its workings were truly a mystery to the girl. Nia made sure to schedule a scolding later on for Tao on his priorities. It would probably end up with him crying and her apologizing, but she had to at least try to lecture him.

 

“What in the world Yifan?” Nia hissed at said male who tried to innocently act like he had no idea why she was about to rip him apart piece by piece. “You knew when to take them out and how to stop the fire. I showed you how to use the extinguisher! Why did you not do it?” The other looked as though he had been slapped. Why was he acting like he had done nothing wrong when he almost made everything go up in flames, literally! “Do you know that if the fire alarms would have gone off then people would have come to put it out and they would have needed to take our statements and receive our information and we would have been found out? Now explain yourself before I decapitate you.” The tiny girl was seething in anger as she stared up at the male in question.

“I, just, what took you so long? You said you would be right back?” He was not seriously trying to pin the situation on her. She was actually about to rip him apart limb by limb if he did not give an answer that made sense. “I was waiting for you. I didn’t want to mess up.” While that sounded reasonable Nia knew it was not the truth. Yifan looked away when he said that, not making eye-contact once. That was all she needed to know that the other was lying. A stern glare was sent in his direction, one that told him she knew he was lying. “If you don’t believe me then fine, whatever! I didn’t know that all that stuff you said would happen. I just wanted you to come back to me!” Yifan’s brows furrowed as he snarled his words out at her before turning on his heel and stomping away like he owned the place.

 

Confused at why he as suddenly so need Nia looked over to Minseok with rounded confused eyes. The male however was glaring at Yifan’s retreating figure as if he could hurt the other with just his gaze. She knew that if Minseok was reacting like that then there was more to it than just Yifan’s stupid actions. Minseok usually laughed when the the taller made a mistake. He was the oldest so he had the right to laugh at his younger friend and he took full advantage of it. The look that Minseok was giving the other though was full of venom and not one that Nia had ever seen him give anyone before, let alone so adamantly. The two of them were acting so strangely and it really made her question why they were only acting like that with each other and not the other four males.

 

“You should go and talk with him. It’s important.” Nia could barely believe the other males words. He was literally just trying to kill Yifan with a single glare and now he was telling her to go after him. She wanted to question his judgement, but Minseok gave her a look that practically demanded she do as he said. “I already warned you about this so just go on.” The look changed to one of forlorning that was clear on Minseok’s features and yet his words held no malice in them and he gave her a small smile as he tried to wipe the negative emotions from his face. They both knew that as long as he looked upset she would stay by his side. That was just the way that she was or at least for him that was how she was. He gave her a light push to match his smile sending her off towards the prissy giant.

 

Following after Yifan, who had made a beeline for her sanctuary, she uttered a few curses under her breath. It seemed that it was more accurately his as time went on. Whenever he was upset or wanted alone time from the others that was where he went. She had even found him sleeping in her chair a few times. Normally Nia would have been upset that someone was moving in on her space, but she could understand where Yifan was coming from. Only three people were allowed access to the room and one of them hardly ever went in so the chances of being bothered were far less than anywhere else in the apartment. He needed that. The option to be alone with only himself. No noise or arguing from the others. Yifan was the sort of person that needed silence every now and again.

 

Stepping into the small room Nia found the large male curled up on a chair that she barely fit in with his large frame making the chair look even smaller. She had to wonder why he chose that chair. She had added in another which would fit him much better than that tiny old thing. Yifan was almost like a dog. He never wanted the new shiny toys instead preferring the old chewed up shoe. Nia knew not to question it as Yifan once told her she was too ‘materialistic’ to understand why he liked old things so much more. The girl would have argued with him if he had been wrong, but as usual he was right. Nothing in her apartment was more than two years old. Even the chair he was sitting in was supposed to be given up, but he fought tooth and nail to keep it.

 

“It smelled like you when we first came here.” Yifan’s voice drifted over her ears. “These days it smells different, I guess that’s my smell since yours is goin’ away.” The edge to the words were not easy to miss. “I thought this was your place, the place that you would always be and that this was your chair where you would always sit. But, your place seems to always be with Minseok and your place to sit is always to his left. Was I that wrong?” Yifan inquired staring out at the void of darkness beyond the foot deep glass. His eyes were glazed and he looked shaken. Like he was saying things against his will. As though his lips were spitting out words without the permission of his mind.

 

“You are in my seat.” She tried to joke, but the glower that she received from Yifan told her that the light words were not appreciated. “Listen, you are speaking in a way that I can not understand. Yifan, you are the one person here that I can not understand. I want to be there, I want to be by your side too. But, for me to be able to do so you have to let me.” She felt silly for admitting to such a thing as Yifan saying things she could not understand. She was supposed to be the genius and yet he was the one person who was always leaving her confused. “Tell me, without twisting words, what are you feeling right now Yifan. I will not judge you and I will do anything in my power to make you happy.” It was a promise Nia planned to keep too as over their time together she realized that she could not stand seeing Yifan upset.

 

The male was silent and refused to look at the other and instead rest his eyes on the dark abyss before them. Silence was not a new thing between them, but one such as this was. The air was stifling between the two as neither wanted to say anything. Nia wanted to give Yifan the chance to answer her question and Yifan didn’t want to say anything in fear of ruining everything. He knew how delicate she was and she had told them about how relationships in her society worked. He knew that she had chosen Minseok and he knew that he had to respect that.

 

And yet…

 

“I love you, okay?” The gruff confession was classic Yifan. He was not good at expressing his emotions and therefore when put into a tough spot would simply spew out his true feelings. “I know it, I know that I have no chance and I know that you chose Minseok. Since I know that can you just leave me be and go back. Go.” The resignation in the man’s deep voice resonated in the girl’s ears as well as his own. The finality was striking. He was giving up something no one on the surface would normally ever consider giving up. The chance to procreate; all for love. Then again, the people down there mainly procreated to keep civilization going. There were hardly ever cases of falling in love. It seemed crazy to Yifan. His parents never loved each other neither had the others. Their parents simply performed the necessary act. Survival always came first.

 

For Yifan falling in love was crazy enough, but to fall in love with a sky-person was something he never could have imagined. Nia was like no one he had ever met, male or female. She was brilliant and kind. In no way was she perfect, but she was like no other human being he had ever met. That was probably his reason for calling her his angel; the reason that he had fallen so hard for the girl. Not only this, but she had claimed his heart in such a short amount of time. His trust alone was something the four had spent years earning and she had earned that and so much more in just two months? Magic would be his first guess if they were still down on the surface, but Yifan knew now that things like love couldn’t be helped. At least, if those documentaries that Luhan watched were true.

 

“You, love me?” Nia pointed between the two of them her jaw falling slack as Yifan gave a single confirmatory nod. “How, err, when?” It was now her turn to start sputtering words without thinking before hand. There was no way that she had seen it coming. Yifan was always so collected and treated her just like he treated all the others. If she had really thought about it that might have been a sign. Yifan had known the others for years and her for a measly two months yet he was treating her as a member of his group? That should have raised questions, but in all honesty Nia was just happy that Yifan accepted her and decided not to question it. Maybe if she had she would have noticed the signs. The lingering stares and touches or maybe the way that Yifan tried to please her with his actions and took her side when it came to decision making. For him boisterous acts were pointless, but the little hard to notice ones were the ones that really meant something.

 

“Yes, I said I love you stupid.” Ever the romantic Yifan was. “Don’t ask pointless questions. I know you chose Minseok so hearing those things won’t matter, but now you know what I am feeling and that’s it. I won’t say it again so don’t even try and make me.” Where Minseok had been sweet and confessed with thought out words and timing, Yifan had no clue what he was doing and seemed to be threatening her. The contrast between the two was too real. They were two complete opposites even in their ways of confessing and yet they both owned a part of the same person’s heart. Nia could not for the life of her figure out how she had ended up falling for two completely different people. All she knew was that she cared deeply about both males. But, just how deeply did she care for them?

 

Guilt ate away at the girl. She knew that her feelings for Yifan were strong just as her feelings for Minseok were strong, but love? Nia did not even know if she had ever felt that for another human being. Her parents were never very close to her and her brother was more of a friend than a family member. Perhaps she loved Yuri, but they had not talked since their argument in the elevator and if such an disagreement was enough to end their relationship so wholly then maybe they were not as close as she had thought. The fact that she was even questioning if she had ever loved someone was answer enough to know that she was not in love with either of the males. She adored them and she liked them more than anyone else, but love was a whole nother story altogether. Love was something she had never experienced before and she could not lie and pretend to love either since she had no clue what it was like.

 

“I am sorry, Yifan.” Nia whimpered reaching out to place her hand on his shoulder, but quickly pulled back as he jerked himself up and out of the seat. As he moved away she caught a whiff of the scent coming from the chair. Before she had sat in that same chair for hours on end and the object always reeked of her perfume. Yet, when Yifan moved all she could smell was his natural musky scent. How long had he sat there and for how many times? It must have been for those same hours that she spent with the others. He sat there silently waiting for her. Never speaking out or voicing his wants. Perhaps leaving the group was Yifan’s cry for attention his showing that he needed her there for him as well. Why had Nia never thought of that? Never stopped and considered the type of person that Yifan was. He would never ask for something when he knew someone else needed it. Instead, he would wait and let the others have their ways and would take what he could get.

 

Said male obviously had no intention of stopping to listen to her. She wanted to explain that she had feelings for him as well. To tell him that he kept a piece of her heart as well, but she had no clue as to how to do so. He was retreating back into himself as he had been in the beginning. Nia wanted to be able to assure him that she returned his feelings as strongly as she could. But, the girl knew that even if she were to tell him all those things he would never believe them. Yifan needed to be shown things. He needed for them to be proven to him. If anything  she had done the exact opposite. Nia knew that until she could show Yifan with affections and showed him how serious her feelings were that anything she said would be ignored. Yifan would shut her down and possibly even feel mocked at anything she said. He already thought of her people as shallow so the last thing Nia needed was for him to think that she was just like everyone else.

 

Nia was though; she was just like all of the other people around her.

 

Instead of stopping Yifan, she decided to let him go. To let him return to the others. She would sit in the chair and bask in his scent. Everything was her fault so why was she feeling so lowly. Nia could feel her stomach clench at the thought of how badly Yifan must have been upset. Her lowly lip quivered and chin wrinkled as her eyes screwed shut while she willed away tears she could feel coming. The feeling was so foreign and Nia was unsure of what was happening. She had never felt so sad, so, so dejected. Yifan was upset with her and there was nothing she could do about it. He had essentially dismissed her feelings as he believed they were nonexistent. Nia’s body was curling into itself as she huddled over a spot on the the chair that smelt more like him than the rest. With her knees pulled to her chest Nia tried not to make a sound as a few tears fell from her eyes.

 

The tears that managed to fall seemed to lighten the weight on her shoulders, but they did nothing to ease the weight that settled on her heart. Nia had never questioned a choice she made before as much as she was questioning that one. She felt selfish, but she was only doing what she thought was best. Yifan would hurt and so would she. All Nia could do was check her behavior from that moment on and hope that she could figure out how to show Yifan that her feelings for him were strong and that she cared about him as much as she cared about Minseok. Nia  could hardly stand the feelings welling in her chest and before she knew it she was nearly dry-heaving from the sobs wracking her body.

 

“Don’t cry, please stop your tears.” The soft whispering voice caressed the shell of her ear as a gentle had ran through her hair. “I won’t leave you, you don’t have to be alone. So, please don’t cry.” Another arm gently pulled Nia into an embrace that proved to give her more comfort than she knew she needed. Against what the other was saying she only began to cry harder and louder. Worried the others might hear she buried her face into the shoulder of the male that held her so tightly she thought maybe he was the one who was afraid to let go. “You’re not alone, I’m right here.” The calming voice came out in husked waves against the crown of her head. Nia tightly wrapped her arms around the muscular body to let him know that she had no intention of letting him go, physically or in any other way.

 

Eventually they had to part as the male remembered his reason for going to check on the other. Pulling away he looked down at the girl he was holding in his arms. He had never seen her so broken. In fact, he had never seen her anything other than happy, other than the times they had messed up. Nia was always so happy and smiled so brightly for the group that he was shocked to see her with tears rolling over her cheeks and sobs rushing through her body as though they were trying to steal her breath. He had seen her in fits of rage and seen her beaming, but he had never seen her with tears streaming down her face.The whole situation reminded him of his second night amongst her sky people, only their roles in the situation were reversed. It was now Tao’s turn to console Nia.

 

“Sorry, I know you are upset right now, but there is a bit of a problem.” Tao prodded gently at the small girl in his hold. When her watery gaze traveled up to meet his he swore to punish whoever or whatever had made her cry. After receiving a questioning glance he knew she was asking him to continue. “They guy, uhm, Kyungsoo and his daughter are outside the apartment and are asking to come in and visit.” Tao was scared she would become hysterical so he quickly added on, “We haven’t said anything, but they keep using the talking box!” He did not want to be the reason for more tears to fall from Nia’s eyes. He already owed her so much and the least he could do would be to try and make her happy as she was hitting a low point. Though, he was not too sure how happy she would be with the sudden company if her reaction the last time was anything to go off of.

 

With a sigh Nia picked herself up and making her way over to the small mirror she had on the wall by the door. Her face was rather puffy and her eyes red, but her make-up was not smeared and her hair was still in place. It would have to do. Looking back Nia motioned slowly to Tao to have him follow her out. She was unsure of how he came into the room, but upon looking down she found a book had become lodged in the door to stop it from closing. Yifan must have knocked it over as he left and not cared to pick it up. He never cared for the books. Even just the thought of the other was enough to make the girl’s heart clench in a painful way. Perhaps Minseok could help. He had always been there when Yifan was rude to her before. Or maybe he would be upset, he was the one who had sent her to make up with the other and she had only served to make everything worse.

 

Before she could think any further on the situation she was stopped in front of the door to her apartment. Looking back she found Tao hiding around the corner. Nia gave the boy a soft smile. He was sweet for consoling her when she was upset and yet it felt bittersweet. He was the brother of the male whom her heartache was currently focused on. She tried to ignore it as she gave her cheeks a few gentle pats before moving to open the door. Unsurprisingly, Kyungsoo stood, more like struggled, with Soojung was was trying her best to ring the doorbell. All movement stopped as Nia looked between the two. Hearing a snickering sound her head snapped to the door closest to hers and found Jongin standing outside of his own door and watching the happening. He was obviously excited to see Kyungsoo be sent away just as she had done to most others who tried to enter her home.

 

“Kyungsoo, Soojung I suppose you are here to visit?” Before Kyungsoo could even get a word out in response Soojung was bobbing her head in affirmation and ranting about how she wanted to see the plant room again and Ola and the television and the books. The younger girl listen nearly everything in the olders home, everything aside from the males. Nia knew that Soojung knew not to mention the others. “Well, what are we waiting for then?” She questioned and was rewarded with a heartwarming smile from the smaller. Soojung quickly zoomed into the house and Nia had expected Kyungsoo to do the same, but instead she turned to find him in a heated staring contest with Jongin. “Kyungsoo,” She called to gain the attention of her friend. “We should go in.” She gently took his wrist before pulling him in, but not without sending a warning glare at Jongin.

 

Jongin was not good enough for Kyungsoo. Not in Nia’s eyes at least.

 

Following Kyungsoo into the apartment, she tried to observe his expression and body language. His face was flushed and she could see how embarrassed he looked and it did not take long before he looked back and they immediately made eye contact. As per usual, Kyungsoo flinched, but luckily he did not look away. It took him a few tries before finally realizing that she was not going to do anything about it and that she preferred it if he maintained the eye-contact with her. Dilated pupils along with shallow breaths not to mention the sweat she could see gathering at his philtrum. It was a classic reaction to seeing ones crush. She had to question why Kyungsoo would end up with romantic feelings toward Jongin of all people. Nia knew Kyungsoo was not very highly classified, but surely he still had a good pool of possibilities. Even if not, she was sure she could help him out in finding someone, anyone other than Jongin.

 

“He’s not good enough for you. Jongin is a dirty rotten scoundrel.” Nia told him lowly not wanting the others to hear what she was saying. Nia was not a gossip monger in any way, but she did not want Kyungsoo to end up unhappy with someone who could not keep his hands to himself. At the confused look Kyungsoo gave her Nia knew that she was not being specific enough. “He has had more people in his apartment in the last month than I have had in mine the entire time I have lived here.” It was true too; Jongin brought home someone new almost every night sometimes even more than one person in a day. It was shocking that he had yet to be murdered in his own home. Nia was sure one day he would bring home the wrong house guest and that person would be his last guest. She had originally worried over Jongin until he made it clear that her worries were bothersome to the male.

 

A low throat clearing caught both of their attentions. Turning their gazes to the other end of the hallway the found Minseok looking between the two with furrowed brows. He was willing to share her to some extent, but not with the male who seemed to keep popping up. The last time he had come Minseok and the other were in lot of trouble with Nia and he did not want that to happen again. He could already tell she and Yifan had not made up so their home did not need more drama to occur. Luckily it seemed that Nia was fine with her two visitors seeing the himself and the others. That didn’t mean that Minseok was happy with the male being there. Minseok was sure of himself and Nia’s feelings as she had accepted him, but he wanted as little competition as possible. The other, Kyungsoo, didn’t seem to be much to compete with, but Minseok knew not to judge a book by its cover.

 

“The kid is causing problems. She pulled on Ola’s tail and then ran away, ran in the apartment. After that, she jumped on the piano and broke the hinge. Lay is a mess and Jongdae is about to skin her.” Minseok knew he and the others were always wanting to see people before, but honestly all they wanted at that point was for them to leave. The male was competition for Nia’s attention, so was the girl but that was beside the point as she was just a thorn in their sides. “Can you stop her?” Minseok was looking at the slightly shorter male. Kyungsoo shriveled up under the scrutinizing glare of the other and gave a meek nod before rushing off to find his younger sibling. Minseok on the other hand shifted his gaze to Nia who was staring back with a less than impressed expression. “What?” He questioned feigning innocence as he smiled walking closer and pinning the girl against the wall.

 

Gazes caught together neither could pull away. Nia was trapped by Minseok’s body while Minseok was staring down at her with no intention of letting her move away from him. He may have tried to get her to accept Yifan’s feelings, something had obviously gone wrong there, but that did not mean that he was upset about it. He was more than happy to not have to share her. She on the other hand still felt guilty towards both males. She was there with Minseok in body and heart, but not completely in her mind as a little place in the back of it was thinking of Yifan. Nia wanted to be with only Minseok when she was with him and yet she could not solely focus on him and it made her feel lowly. She knew he did not have expectations for her to do so, but she still wanted to try and make him happy. How could he be happy if her mind was even partially on another man?

 

As though he knew her thoughts, Minseok plucked Nia’s chin up between his thumb and forefinger making her look up at him. His monolid eyes seemed so much clearer up close or maybe they were always that clear and she had never paid enough attention. Either way they were beautiful. Maybe Minseok was not as highly desirable as she was, but Nia found that she often sold him short in the looks department. Minseok was a beauty of different standards. It could be that his beauty was more of one that grew on its viewer over time, Nia knew she for one found him more and more attractive as their time together went on. Before she could ponder his beauty any longer Nia could feel Minseok coming closer and closer. Instinctively her eyes fluttered closed as she waited for lips to press against her own. She could not deny having dreamed of having his lips pressed against her own.

 

“Brighten up.” Minseok whispered causing his breath to ghost over her face making shivers run up and down her spine. “I’m guessing that it didn’t go well with Yifan, but I’m still here and I know we can work through it together. Tao told me you cried, I’m sorry I wasn’t there. Next time you find yourself in need come to me. Promise me that you will. We are together now so your sadness is mine and mine is yours.” Minseok was trying to be more articulate so she knew exactly what he meant and wouldn’t feel burdened. He wanted Nia to know that they were partners and that they needed to share things. The idea itself was foreign to Minseok, but it seemed that sharing personal things like that was normal for the sky people. That was another thing he had learned from those documentaries that Luhan watched.

 

Nia couldn’t help the shock passing over her features as Minseok smiled down at her before he gave her gentle kiss to the corner of her lips. She barely even sputtered out a soft promise of agreement before Minseok was dragging her into the main part of the apartment where the other six were, Yifan was nowhere to be found. The group seemed like they were having a good time together. Soojung wason the lowest level playing with the males who lived with her while Kyungsoo watched from the upper-level. Nia motioned for Minseok to join the others while she made her way to Kyungsoo. Minseok looked rather miffed, but thankfully said nothing before moving to join the others. He did however make sure to make a show of leaving a gentle kiss on Nia’s temple before retreating.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Nia called out looking over at the male who was smiling as he watched his sister play with Luhan, Jongdae and Tao. The grown males were acting younger than even Soojung. Kyungsoo looked in her direction immediately, but made sure to keep his eyes far from her gaze.  “Am selfish?” She questioned as she looked over the male’s small face. His lips were thick and his nose cute as it sat below his large eyes. She decided that her gaze would rest on his until he looked at her eyes. When the moment finally happened she could see his already large eyes grow even larger. “Am I a good person?” Nia questioned further knowing he was ensnared as he could barely even blink while she was looking at him. He may be able to hold eye contact, but he was still always shocked by it.

 

All she could think of was how Yifan had reacted to her earlier.

 

“Selfish? A good person?” Kyungsoo could not help the stutter in his voice as he stared at her nearly forgetting to blink. He had never looked someone outside of his family in the eyes. Much less a person of such high desirability. Not only was it taboo, but to look someone so much higher than him in the eyes, it was just plain disrespectful. Lately though, lately it seemed as if Nia was not so far from him. Before she was unreachable someone he would never even consider approaching, he knew his place, but all of the things that had happened since their fateful meeting. It all made him wonder if they were really as far apart as people made them seem. Maybe he was crazy for thinking such things. But, having Nia as a friend had drastically changed his perspective on the world even if the other could not see it.

 

Until he was deemed ‘desirable’ he was always part of the lower class. His whole family was undesirable. It was hard for him for so many years. No matter where he went people always treated him differently. He was never the best looking of the desirables, but the undesirables only wanted him for his looks and ‘status’. Nothing else. He was so use to being treated badly that when Nia first showed up he questioned everything she did. There was no way someone so high up could be the way she was. The girl was from the C classification after all, no one from that class would willingly treat someone from the K classification as well as she treated him. But, as the days and weeks went by she hardly changed and if she did she only ever treated him better. It was not that she treated him like a prince rather she treated him like a human being. Kyungsoo felt that for those reasons alone she deserved the cold hard truth.

 

“You’re selfish, yes.” He told her nodding slight. Kyungsoo could see the sadness slipping into her gaze at his words. “You talk too much and you do not give other a chance to argue with you. Also, you buy whatever you feel like and do not take into account what others think.” Kyungsoo could feel at least two deadly glares on him as Nia’s eyes wavered barely holding his gaze. “Those are not too bad though. Even though you are more selfish than some people you are definitely the least selfish person from the C classification that I have ever met.” Her eyes were wider than Kyungsoo had seen them before. “Also, if you think you are a mean person then please check a dictionary. You are perfect, as much as it pains me to boost your ego, you are perfect to me and I am sure to Soojung as well.” Kyungsoo knew his face was flushed as he gazed at the girl in front of him.


He knew, he knew what his feelings for her were. He also knew that he had no chance. Kyungsoo liked to think that Nia was not shallow enough to only go for pretty faces, but she had so many around her and he knew that at least one of the glares he was receiving was from someone that had already entered a place in the girl’s heart that he never could. Instead of trying to force his way in, Kyungsoo would stand by her side whether it be right beside her or even in the shadows if he must. The desirable, especially highly ranked ones, made bad decisions sometimes and he wanted to be there to help stop her from making too many. Nia was, after all, his first real friend. Kyungsoo may not have found her physically attractive, she did not have the right body type, but he still held deep feelings. Love of some sort, though he was unsure of what kind. Friendship or maybe familial?  Whatever it was he knew that he wanted them to stay together for as long as she would allow. He was only still around because of her good graces, after all.

 


 

(A/N): Hey guys! It's been a while, huh? Sorry that it took SO long for this chapter to be put up! I just moved back to college and had to get back into the rythme of everything so yeah. I hope you guys enjoy this story and please do leave comments as I make sure to read each and every one of them!

XxXx