Ch 4: Pirouettes

Pas de Deux

brief a/n: this is super short but it's a filler chapter in no one's POV. this is really just an extention of the last chapter that i decided to write after struggling so much with the next chapter (which will be coming soon). the plot will progress a whole lot within the next few chapters! thank you for your patience - i had a bit of writer's block unfortunately. please enjoy this little extra -but very important- bit! ^^


-no one’s pov-

 

“So, do you want to stretch me first or should I stretch you?”

 

“Excuse me?!” Sanghyuk whisper-yelled, causing the Sungjae and his partner to cast curious glances their way.

 

“What did you think I meant? Get your head out of the gutter, Scholarship.” Hakyeon gestured around the room at the rest of the students who’d been paired beginning to help each other stretch. Sanghyuk understood then, cursing himself for letting his mind wander like that so easily. They both sat across from each other on the floor with their legs partially straddled, Sanghyuk offering out his arms to Hakyeon.

 

“My name is Sanghyuk.” He snapped as Hakyeon slid the palms of his hands from Sanghyuk’s wrists all the way up to the elbows, delicately curling his fingers around the younger’s arms. Sanghyuk squirmed a little under the touch but forced himself to focus on the stretch. It’s only temporary, he reminded himself for what seemed to be the billionth time since the moment Sungjae opened his big mouth and volunteered him. His teacher had told him as much after everyone was split into their pairs, explaining that since Sanghyuk enrolled at the last minute there weren’t enough girls in the class for each of the boys to have a partner just yet, so Hakyeon’s position would only be relevant until they could find a girl with enough time to take the class. The well-mannered side of Sanghyuk had accidentally spilled out an ‘oh no, it’s fine’ when his teacher apologized for him having to be paired up with another guy, but he hoped to God that she didn’t think he was being serious when he said it.

 

“So I’ve heard.” Hakyeon said with a smirk while he positioned his feet against the sides of Sanghyuk’s legs before slowly starting to lean back, gently pulling on the younger’s arms until most of his upper body was nearly parallel to the hardwood dance floor. Hakyeon could tell just from a glance that the boy had annoyingly long legs, but he didn’t realize just how long of a torso he also had until Sanghyuk’s face was nearly leveled with his crotch. Hakyeon cleared his throat at the sudden closeness, itching to strike up any sort of conversation, they would get nowhere if he was to let awkward silences come between them.

 

“I’m Hakyeon by the way, Cha Hakyeon.” He said matter-of-factly, though he figured Sanghyuk had already figured out as much when the teacher introduced him to the class.

 

“So I’ve heard.” Sanghyuk mimicked, craning his neck to glance up at the older boy.

 

That’s when it happened for the third time in a month. Hakyeon was at a loss for words when his slightly annoyed glare met the younger’s playful teasing gaze. Hakyeon let his eyes wander to where Sanghyuk’s full lips were slightly parted, letting himself stare at them for only a second before his eyes continued, following along the younger boy’s sharp jawline all down to his prominent Adam’s apple. Hakyeon felt his face warming up and twisted his hold on Sanghyuk’s arms, hoping the other would understand his actions and switch positions quickly.

 

Once Hakyeon’s torso was parallel to the hardwood flooring beneath him he finally let out the breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding in. Each time he exhaled he could feel himself get closer and closer to floor until his nose was just over an inch from touching it. Hakyeon knew that if he was being pulled forward this far it had to be stressful on Sanghyuk’s lower back from the awkward leaning position he was in, but if the younger was in any discomfort he didn’t make it known.

 

They remained silent for the rest of the stretching block and to Sanghyuk’s surprise Hakyeon didn’t say a single word to him through the entire demonstration. He feared that mimicking the older boy may have offended him somehow, but didn’t let the worry consume him and forced himself to focus on the combination being demonstrated at the front of the class.The aforementioned partner exercise the teacher was so excited about turned out to be pirouettes in pairs and the students were given a few minutes to get used to their partners and even work out anything they’d like to add into the exercise themselves if they wished to do so.

 

Hakyeon was far too eager to wear pointe shoes again and asked Sanghyuk to forgive him in advance, claiming that he was still a bit rusty in them. That was a lie, of course. He danced flawlessly in the shoes, and it caught Sanghyuk off guard just how easy it was to adjust to dancing with another guy. Sure, he’d performed countless duets with Hongbin in the past, but those dances were always choreographed specifically for two strong male dancers. It was different when the choreography was more suited for a male and female pairing.

 

Hakyeon was sold the moment he felt Sanghyuk’s strong hold on his waist. He forced himself to focus on a spot on the back wall for each turn he took as they did the assigned exercise without any errors. They continued with a combination they came up with during the free time, Hakyeon faltering for a split second when he felt Sanghyuk’s hands fall away from his waist -the elder hadn’t been joking when he said he was still a bit rusty in the pointe shoes. Sanghyuk did a couple of pirouettes in time with Hakyeon’s before coming to a stop with his hand held out for the redhead to take and spin himself into Sanghyuk’s hold. Hakyeon could feel the younger’s chest rise and fall against his back with each of their matched ragged breaths and the older didn’t look away from that same spot on the wall until he heard the polite applause coming from the rest of the students, only looking up to catch Sanghyuk’s gaze on him in the mirror. What Hakyeon had felt when the two of them danced effortlessly across the studio would be equivalent to the way someone would see fireworks when kissing the one, and as they broke away from each other Hakyeon made a mental note to thank Taekwoon.

 

So if anything, the two danced particularly well with each other.

Too well, Sanghyuk thought while at the same time Hakyeon’s mind was racing with ideas of how to get the younger boy to agree to be his dancing partner.


A/N: Like before, the links will bring you to examples of what was being described. Sorry this update was like miniscule after having to wait for so long. OTL But the next chapter should a bit longer, I promise! Please let me know your thoughts, and thank you so much for reading ^^ I hope you're enjoying the story so far!

ALSO: I wrote a one shot for my For A Reason series last month and centered it around Hyukie's birthday -it's kind of Chasang if that's what you wish to read into it as (i know i do)- you can read it HERE 

^_^