Prologue: Audition

Pas de Deux

“Next group!” I tensed up as the last remaining group before mine filed one after the other into the dance studio where the audition was taking place. I couldn’t even remember the last time I felt remotely as nervous as I did right then.

 

“Relax, Hyuk-ah.” Hongbin’s voice was soft in my ear as his hands began to work at my shoulders, massaging them gently in attempt to help me calm down. He had graciously offered to come to my audition as moral support, claiming that if it weren’t for him I’d probably psych myself out and have a mental breakdown before I even set foot into the studio.

 

“Easy for you to say when you’ve already been accepted in!” I snapped as I ran a hand through my hair. Hongbin had auditioned for the academy earlier during the spring semester and received his acceptance letter within a couple of weeks. He was always one for doing things ahead of time and going above and beyond to make sure he was prepared for anything that could possibly happen, basically the complete opposite version of myself. So, here we are now, three weeks before the new term on the last possible audition date in the last group audition before individuals start and it’s taking all that I have not to turn around and leave. Though as tempting as it might feel to do so in the moment, I know that I would most definitely regret it in the long run. This is our dream school and I'll be damned if I throw it all away after coming this far.

 

Hongbin and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. We met in a small dance school when I was around the age of seven or eight, my parents had wanted me to become active and when I refused any outdoor sports they gave me the option to start taking dance lessons. Up until then I'd shown no real interest or talent in anything in particular but I didn't see the harm in learning the new skill.

 

It wasn't as common for boys to take up dancing lessons back then so it was no surprise to me that there would only be two male students, including myself. The two of us grew close over the course of our first year in the school and were inseparable once our second year began. We stuck together once middle school began and were lucky enough to get into the same high school as well. In our final year of high school Hongbin and I both decided that we would continue with dance and apply to audition for the same dance academy, which just so happened to be our dream school.

 

The group inside the studio was finishing up when three guys rounded the corner laughing at who knows what. But all I could think about was the sign on the wall that read: “Auditions in progress, please keep this hallway quiet.”

 

It only took once glance for me to figure out that they were students from the academy, juniors or seniors from the look of it. They were too absorbed in their noisy conversation as they made their way down the hallway and it wasn’t until I cleared my throat as loud as I could that they finally looked up, noticing my group for the first time with confused expressions.

 

“Ah, .” I heard the shortest one mumble under his breath before actually speaking to any of us. “I forgot that auditions were today. Are you guys the last group?” He questioned, not really addressing anyone in particular as he watched the current audition group through the window.

 

“Yeah, but I think the individual evaluations start shortly after that.” I spoke up knowing that no one else would. I could feel the other two student’s gaze land on me as I spoke but my attention remained on the smaller one who had still been looking into the studio. He seemed to be so focused on the group in their audition that I was afraid he hadn’t heard what I said.

 

“I see.” He murmured, nodding slowly before turning his attention to me. I felt my breath catch in my throat when we made eye contact and took a hesitant step back under his intense stare, bumping into Hongbin in the process, I felt his fingertips digging into my shoulders in response. The boy’s glance faltered for a second at the movement as he noticed Hongbin behind me for the first time, raising a single eyebrow . But it was only a brief moment before his eyes were back to mine with a slight amused smirk spreading across his features. “Well then, we’ll go and find another studio to practice in.”

 

“Good luck, freshmen.” The slender boy addressed the whole group but his gaze never left mine as he began to back away. He winked once before turning back to catch up with his friends just as the door to the studio opened up.

 

“Next group!” I moved aside so that the rest of my group could go in while I stayed to talk to Hongbin for one last second, but he was speaking before I even had a chance to open my mouth.

“I’ll be right out here watching through the window. You’ll be great, I just know it," Hongbin said as he trailed a hand down my arm stopping once he reached my own hand and linked our pinkies together. “Go on.” He nodded to the door and dropped his hand away from mine to lightly shove me towards the studio.


a/n: so this is a thing, i guess? this is just the prologue so it's short and rushed. i just really wanted to get this out there before the idea ran away from me. i was inspired by a few of Hyuk's parts in the choreography to Error. i don't have a set updating schedule but i will be on vacation next week so there probably won't be an update until after that, but please anticipate it! (this will include ships other than chasang as well so i mean, if you're into that)  -thanks for reading