Ch 1: New Term

Pas de Deux


 

 

Hakyeon’s POV

 

"Hello? Earth to Hakyeon.. Did you even hear what I just said?"

 

"Huh, what? Sorry, no. I'm listening now though!" I chirped up as I -reluctantly- tore my gaze away from a tall foreign student who was sitting across the cafeteria from where my best friend and I were seated. He was blond with blue eyes that I knew would probably have me melting where I stood if we were to ever make contact. It's a shame that I swore off foreign men, especially after the last one.

 

"I said I think I found you a new dancing partner. He-"

 

"Wait why?" I cut him off. "I never said I wanted a new partner, don't you think we dance well together, Woonie? I've never had a partner as good as you! Was it something I did? Is it because we're both guys? I thought you were okay with it. What d-"

 

"Will you please shut up?" He murmured with a flick to my forehead. Worry started to eat at my gut as my mind raced with possible reasons as to why my best friend wouldn't want to be my dance partner anymore. Sure, I was constantly annoying him and always barging in on his one-on-one private lessons uninvited, but Taekwoon never complained about any of it. Maybe Taekwoon isn't the most vocal person, but he and I are close enough that he'd definitely let me know if I was seriously bothering him.

 

"I wouldn't have ever agreed to dance with you if I wasn't okay with it, dummy. And of course I think you and I dance well together -maybe even better than most of our coed pairs-, but this guy... He's pretty amazing. I was helping run the group auditions and I couldn't take my eyes off him the entire time." His eyes were lit up the way they usually were when he had exciting news or when he feels accomplished about something, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the least bit curious about this mystery dancer dude.

 

"You think he's better for me than you are?" I asked skeptically, still not too keen on having to get used to a new partner.

 

I was met with an eye roll before he answered my selfish question.

 

"Hakyeon, you know that I can hardly keep up with your ballet. Besides, I'm going to be busy giving privates and helping out with freshman classes this year. I won't have the time to help test your choreography or learn countless duets 'just because'. Just from the audition I can tell he's eons ahead of his age. Though, I am interested in his other skills. It's too bad that I didn't have time to watch his individual evaluation." I hummed in response with a small nod to let him know that I was listening and thinking at the same time. Taekwoon is better at ballet than he gives himself credit for, but maybe a new face couldn't hurt.

 

"Is he cute?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows at him.

 

"Does that really matter?" He sighed, rolling his eyes at me for the umpteenth time today. "Think about it alright? He'll be in the first year's advanced ballet class every morning, so you can go sit in to watch or ask the instructor if she needs a demonstrator for the class. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll figure something out."

 

"Alright alright," I said nonchalantly with a wave of my hand. "I'll check him out, but he better be as good as you make him out to be Woonie, or I swear to G-" I was cut off with a grape that was being shoved into my mouth.

 

"At least tell me his name." I said through a mouth full of the fruit and watched patiently as Taekwoon flipped through the first couple pages of his notebook. I grabbed another grape from his plate and popped it into my mouth, causing him to pause and roll his eyes at me before trailing a finger down the page he'd stopped on.

 

"His name is Han Sanghyuk, but you really can't miss him. He was the tallest of the freshmen that were enrolled this year, even taller than myself and Wonshik-ah. He's amazingly built for only being eighteen, too. Trust me, he'll be perfect for you. Maybe if you had actually attended the freshman orientation this morning you would have gotten to see hi- Actually wait, that's him right there!" My head snapped up to look where Taekwoon was pointing at the cafeteria entrance just as two boys were walking in. My eyes instantly landed on their connected pinky fingers before I shifted my gaze to their faces. I felt my breath catch for the second time in the past month when I looked at the taller of the two boys.

 

"Him?"

 

 

Hyuk’s POV

 

I straightened up at the sudden feeling of Hongbin’s thumb jabbing into my side and stifled a yelp with my hand.

 

"What?" I hissed at him in agitation. I was fully prepared to get payback with a swat to his temple when I remembered exactly where we were. Now I wanted to hit myself for nearly falling asleep during the orientation lecture. Lectures just aren't my thing, another big reason I want to study dance. It's a hell of a lot better than sitting in an uncomfortable desk for hours on end and it keeps me in shape. I suppose it helps that I'm kind of good at it, too.

 

I was just about to zone out again when the dean cleared his throat.

 

"We're grateful to have auditioned and enrolled so many new faces this year." He went on to begin wrapping up the lecture. Good thing, too since I'm starving. “Furthermore, I would like to call upon the honorary students who have received scholarships, so please stand and be recognized when I name your scholarship.” . Hongbin let out a huff a laughter and I made a mental note to hide his favorite jazz shoes tonight when we were back in the dorm.

 

There were only four different scholarships offered, the first one announced was the smallest amount of money which is when the most freshmen stood up. The amount of recipients per scholarship had lessened dramatically by the third one, I kicked at Hongbin’s ankles before clapping slowly as he stood up to be recognized with three other students. He fell back into his seat with an exaggerated sigh, glancing at me with a huge smirk before we both turned our attention back to the dean. I began to sink down into my seat as the dean began the introduction of the final scholarship.

 

“And lastly, the most anticipated scholarship, funded by Hwang Se-jun himself which includes full tuition, living expenses, meals, books and dance equipment. This scholarship is being presented to Daejeon’s Han Sanghyuk for a perfect academic record, displaying excellence in the group auditions and going above and beyond expectations in the individual evaluations. Please stand and be recognized, Sanghyuk.” I sighed into my hands, which were now covering my face, as I peeled my body away from the safety of my seat. I stared at the wall with a forced smile while I waited for the applause to subside before collapsing back into the chair, burying my face into Hongbin’s side out of embarrassment

 

“Well done, Hyukiiiie!” He cooed into my ear, intertwining our pinkies before I could shove away from him. I accepted the gesture out of habit but didn’t hesitate to drag him along with me as soon as the ceremony came to a close.

“Shut up. I’m starving, lets go eat lunch.”  I said, making a break for the auditorium’s exit.

 


A/N - heavily unedited! - Mmm, so this is probably going to start off slow. But I'm going to alternate between POVs, it will mainly be Hyuk or Hakyeon but I have plans to use the other members' POVs in the future. Quick thank you to my Sachiiie for helping me with that one sentence that I was stuck on for literally two days. ilyyyy. No update schedule set yet, but shouldn't take weeks for updates or anything like that. Apologies on anything that isn't clear, but Hyuk's POV in this chapter is actually happening before Hakyeon's, but most of you probably guessed that. okay i will stop rambling,bai. loveyou. all of you. *mwah*

-Neither of the gifs are mine. Credit to vixx-otps on Tumblr!

Hope it's something you guys will take a liking to! Please anticipate the next updateee~ I'm excited to finally get this going! Feed back is always appreciated so thank you in adavance!