7 .

999 pieces of a puzzle

The words kept flowing out of Dr. Lee Hoya's mouth,long ,elaborated phrases that were seemingly explaining him what his screwed up brain was trying to signal him for the past day since those hectic dreams(repressed memories, apparently) invaded his mind to the point he didn't know himself anymore.The aching had long subsided under the constant flashing of various bits that once was his 'life',but Sunggyu didn't want to ponder too much into it; it was already a straining thing he was experiencing.

The tests went on for almost the whole day and he prayed that at some point he could let himself drift to sleep;hopefully a dreamless one.

Nothing happened.Nothing but strange, worrisome outcomes.

Late in the evening he finally had enough and crumbled down.The minute he pressed Dial, he knew there was no turning back!

The ringing on the other line kept repeating its constant chime,leaving him waiting for something that he swore he'd never ask for:his family's help.Sunggyu gulped down the bitter taste the mere thought left in his mouth and pressed on,urging himself to withstand whatever they might throw at him after the years he kept away from getting in touch with them.

"Hey, is this a bad time?"Woohyun's head popped up at the ward's door,just as he was about to voice his frustration.

"Pff, no.It's actually a nice breather."Sunggyu exhaled, ending his call."I was close to act foolish anyways,so you showed up just in time."he pressed his hands on his face trying to ease away the stress."What's up?"

"Took the words right out of my mouth."Woohyun came closer, taking a seat next to his bed."I would've come sooner, but we finally had a break through with the last proposal you've put up and I had to pester the goons until they signed."he bounced happily on his feet, showing him the new contract.

"For real?They said...yes?"Sunggyu grabbed the foiled sheet containing the terms agreed and sealed with personalised stamps.

​He almost screamed in joy;the opportunity couldn't have come in a better time!At least now they... HE... had something to take his mind off the present events.

"Am I good or what?A genius, I tell you!"Woohyun pretended to kiss his own cheeks."I got them eating out of our hands,especially when you put down such an undeniable , strong plan of increasing their profit whilst joining forces with the lower mass."

"We'll have plenty of clashing along the way, I'm sure they won't take it that easy, but hey, we're more than ready for the fighting, right?"he high-fived his friend.

"So, how's your day gone?"Woohyun poor himself some water in a plastic cup.The fatigue on his face  was so obvious,but he never complained;the kid lived for acting on edge."Any juicy stories?"

"You'd be thrown away.Apparently, this shy, down to earth friend of yours was quite the hot blooded sunbae in his early years."Sunggyu admitted, pointing at himself.

"As stated by your own physician."Woohyun gulped the water down."Had another wet dream?"he tried to chid, snickering at his disheveled stance.

"I wish."Sunggyu fumbled with his phone.

"Hey, you could use a little action;I know I could."Woohyun huffed."But things just didn't go that way lately.We need to go clubbing or something.Maybe celebrate..."

"I didn't have a wet dream,Woohyun."he cut him up, fixing his eyes on him.

"There's no shame, we're guys and pretty much healthy ones."Woohyun winked.

"Would you open your damn ears and listen, dammit?!"Sunggyu growled.

His friend finally started to piece the bits together,frowning along.

"You're too fired up all of a sudden,what's gotten into you lately?"Woohyun looked him up close.

"You think I enjoy this mood swings?I've been  on a roller-coaster  the whole damn day and the crazy thing is I think you are more afraid about it than me.Why is that, huh? Why the hell do I feel like you've been keeping things from me Woohyun?"Sunggyu burst in anger.

The other one turned a solemn look,not even bothering to feign innocent in front of the accusations.The silence wasn't welcomed at that point and Sunggyu felt like scratching his face in annoyance;he felt empty,yet full of unexplainable scenarios crushing down on him with each breath.He found it hard and unsettling to grasp what they matched in his foggy mind.

"You talk in your sleep."Woohyun finally spoke,looking him straight in the eyes.

That was the only thing he couldn't ever take away from him:he never went around the bush when serious talks were concerned.But lately, Sunggyu couldn't choose right from wrong and he hated he felt like his very own friend betrayed his trust.

"Your folks...they begged me to keep them updated about you, it's true.Not like you didn't already figuered this out."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?Going behind my back?"

"Hyung..."

Woohyun's voice cracked,hurt evident in his watery eyes at the elder's accusation.

"I actually intended on calling them, but the faiths are against.They didn't answer."Sunggyu avoided eye contact.

"They're away over seas for the next couple of months.It's gonna be hard getting in touch since they enlisted for that charity way over in Africa.You know how dedicated they become when taking care of 3rd world problems.."Woohyun played advocate.

"Yeah.Guess my 1st class problem status is just too fancy for them to actually pay attention to.Shouldn't  that be their priority?Their own son's ing struggle??!"Sunggyu groaned in pain.

It had been an increasing headache that he ignored, all too enthralled in bickering with  his friend.It got to the point where nausea and dizziness fought over, making Sunggyu squirm in the sheets in search of a comfortable place to rest his trembling body.

He must've acted out of ordinary,because next thing he knew,a whole team burst inside the ward alarmed by Woohyu's frantic buzzing on the emergency button at the side of his bed.

"Gyu, calm down...please...oh, man what..."Woohyun fussed over him.

"Move."he heard Hoya's harsh tone."What do you feel Sunggyu?"he checked on him.

"I...wa...throw up..."Sunggyu managed to warn before he faintly pushed the nurse away, burfing sideways when trying to flee for the bathroom.

He had both Hoya and Woohyun supporting him, but he still barely kept his witts up when they eased him back to the bed,the double vision doing nothing to calm him.

Only one thing stuck to his last conscious thought:soft, brown bangs brushing his chin before coming up to unveil the warmest honeyed eye smile and the softest whisper reached his ears,promising things would settle into the right place if he let it go and relaxed.

The lips that pressed their weight on the tip of his nose tickled him into giggling away the pain and soon enough the excrutiating discomfort was nothing but a bad memory.

Sunggyu opened his eyes to the most unexpected view:little Ye Sung was massaging the wrinkles on his  forehead away with his small finger,cutely biting his tongue in  concentration. 

"Oh, you are awake.I knew my special kiss would help.That mean doctor laughed, but I knew omma's secret recepy would work."the kid batted his eyelashes at his sleeping figure.She always kisses my nose when I feel bad...like the baddest of all time...and I feel better in no time.Right?"he put one palm over his cheek.

"You know, side-kicks aren't supposed to give away secrets."Sunggyu spoke,amused by the boy's misspells.

"But I know you won't tell anybody." Ye Sung said all serious.

"Don't trust people so easily, YeSung ah."the elder patted his head.

"But you are one of the good guys.You protected omma."the child mused, after giving some thought."I wanted to help, too.I know I couldn't last time..."he said shyly.

"You have to go about your limits;but thank you for now.You really, really helped!"Sunggyu smiled,embracing the kid.

It was so peaceful hugging the small body, the innocent smell surrounding him and calming his racing heart,which ,at second glance, took up whenever  Ye Sung mentioned his mother.

"How did you get here ,anyway?"he tried prying him away, but he just glued himself  to Sunggyu like a koala bear.

"Uncle Dongwoo brought me."he simply explained, like it was the most stupid question he'd been asked.

Sunggyu stiffled a laugh when he saw he wasn't gonna get any more info aside from that.Children were straight when answering, not too keen on giving unnecessary details.

"And how come he left you here?Aren't you scared of hospitals?"Sunggyu stretched, letting the boy get more comfortable while sitting on his chest.

"Mm, no.Omma freaks when we have to come by, but I always take her hand and she's all better."Ye Sung spilled."She doesn't know we're here."he whispered, like it was the biggest secret.

"Isn't she gonna be mad if..."

"She could use a little fit throwing."said uncle came in."I see you two settled just right."

"Uhm, yeah...just bumped into this little one."Sunggyu aknowledged Dongwoo."I feel grateful, though."

"Figured that much.I'm gonna get my kicked for sure, but I still hope his mom would ease on us.How are you feeling?"the other one looked him up.

"A little light headed.Can't quite remember what happened."

"Your brain reacted poorly to the amount of repressed information it got, so they had to put you to sleep.At least that's what they told us."Dongwoo explained."Your friend really lost it this time;I thought he was gonna kill your doctor."

"Nah, Hoya can handle him.If you don't mind me asking, why..."

"Ye Sung forgot his toy.Song Hye couldn't think of any other place he'd lost it, but she's busy with...stuff...so I offered to come look."

"And brought him along."Sunggyu  filled in the blanks,patting the boy's back in a soothing pace.He had fallen asleep already and the soft snorring was nothing but soothing for Sunggyu.

"He can be a handful,but being away from his toy took a toll on him.He didn't sleep much,so..."Dongwoo leaned to take him away.

"No, leave him.He's not a bother."Sunggyu asked with eyes closed, as if he was about to be prived of something dear.

"Glad you see him  like that.In that case, why don't the both of you take a nap?I'll be back after I take care of some business."Dongwoo offered in a calming voice.

"Mhm."the elder hummed,already half asleep himself.