-9-

You, In My Smile
XSYKOTICA
Chapter Nine

They write to each other every chance they get: all little messages that mean more than what they read. The girl has the chance to meet Minseok four times that year and three times the next, and they try to do as much as they can every meeting. They go for walks on the hills, resting and talking about their time absent of each other. They skip stones at the lake, and share kisses between the winds. They even catch the train to go back to the village they had once visited for an event and the two laugh about the nostalgic memories. But over the months they both become busy, and postcards become rare moments, somewhere lost underneath responsibilities and meetings don’t happen anymore.

 

 

A relationship lost through the distance like the specks of dandelion floating through the breeze, away from its stem.

 

 

***

 

 

Dear Minseok,

Life has become so frantic, but I’ll try to write to you as much as possible. I’m starting to do some vlogs now and they’re getting views fast. I hope you’re doing well. Anyways, I guess I’ll see you some time soon… Maybe.

 

 

***

 

 

Dear sunshine,

I know it’s been a while, and you must be very busy. I haven’t received a postcard in nearly a year now, and I have no records of where you might be. So I’ll send this to your house in hopes that you will receive it, but you don’t have to reply, because I know how hectic your schedule is. Anyways, I just wanted to write to you, and I’m guessing it’ll be my last little note. I’m starting university soon, so I won’t be able to write. You might think it’s crazy but I want to open my own café business and in order to do that I need some knowledge about the business world. It’s a café for the homeless by the way, so I’ll have to start looking up for some sponsors to help out. I can’t wait, and maybe somewhere in the future, when you’re not busy, you can drop by.

Yours truly, Minseok.

 

 

***

 

 

The years stumble onwards and the girl develops famous vlogs and blogs and Xiumin has a successful charity café. They’re living their own lives and the thoughts of the past are pushed somewhere too far behind their minds and they have no time to ponder on it.

 

 

But somewhere in the middle of autumn, on a cool and sunny day, where the leaves paint the concrete in red and orange shatters, where the asphalt smells of afternoon sweetness, the two bump into each other. There is no recognition at first, but there is a sense of familiarity in the way the guy pushes back his fringe and the undone of his top button, that gives the girl a spark of recollection. And she smiles at him, a wistful smile, grabbing his forearm.

 

 

“Minseok… Is that you?”

 

 

The boy looks at her with a raised eyebrow, and then his eyes widens with detection, “Sunshine?”

 

 

She nods, “Yeah, wow… How have you been?”

 

 

Minseok ruffles his hair, “I’ve been well. God, it’s been so long. About four years now… How are you?”

 

 

She takes in his smile and big eyes that she once adored so dearly, “Good. Good. I’m doing great actually. Where are you heading, so in a rush, that’s not like you at all.” The girl giggles, and Minseok remembers how it was previously the most beautiful melody he has heard.

 

 

“Well, I’m actually kind of late for my date. How about you, where are you heading?” He grins at her then looks down to check his watch.

 

 

The girl nods approvingly, a slight reminiscence flashes before her eyes, “Oh, I’m actually going to meet my boyfriend.”

 

 

“You better get a move along then, don’t want to keep him waiting now.” Minseok smiles at her.

 

 

“You too Minseok. Treat her well.”

 

 

“Of course I will, you know me sunshine.”

 

 

“Indeed.” She smiles at him. There’s a silence but the quietness isn’t awkward. “Sorry, about not replying to your last letter, Minseok. I’m really sorry.”

 

 

Minseok chuckles, rubbing the back of his neck as he sighs a little. “Hey sunshine, it’s okay. It’s all in the past now. I’ll catch up with you some time soon, I guess.”

 

 

The girl nods, checking her phone. “Yeah, I don’t see why not. You can even bring your date along and I’ll introduce you to my boyfriend”

 

 

“That sounds delightful. I’ll see you around… sunshine.”

 

 

“Sure thing, Minseok.”

 

 

They exchange polite smiles and a brief hug, counting seconds in their heads and forgetting to see if their skin feels as it always used to. Somewhere between their conversation and their make-believe like strangers, it hurts a little to know that they actually meant:

“Do you miss me?”

“What happened?”

 

 

And even though many things have changed, some things have remained the same: so unchanging, so ageless and rigid against the ticks of the clock.

 

 

But somewhere inside they know, if anyone was ever to mention about skipping stones and sleeping among pansies, sticking spoons on noses and talking amidst a field of daisies, home made chocolates and little scribbled notes, they know that it’ll only bring back good memories. They’ll remember everything pleasant and even if they never personally said that they loved each other, they know that they have both had the most innocent love ever, adoring one another sincerely.

 

 

This is the story of their love, this is the story of their development, and no matter where life takes them, they’ll understand, deep down, engraved profoundly in their soul, that there will never be a more pure relationship. And they’ve come to understand that things don’t have to be broken for them to be pushed away, sometimes, it’s just the way it is and there’s nothing they can do about it.

 

 

“Hey sunshine, wait!” Minseok calls out as she’s about to leave. “I just wanted you to know that… I have loved you, really.”

 

 

She smiles at him, so pensively amongst the crowd, uttering quietly. “And I, you Minseok. And I, you.”

 

 

 

 


Author's note: So this is the end guys. I know it's a little rushed but this was how the story was planned, as I wanted to keep it short and simple. I know that nothing really happened throughout the whole thing, and there wasn't really any but the only reason why I started writing this was because Xiumin was destroying my bias list and I was feeling so fluffy inside that I had to write it all down. Although the ending wasn't necessarily a happy one, I still hoped you all have enjoyed it. Please keep the comments coming, because they mean so much to me. Thank you for reading! :) x