-7-

You, In My Smile
XSYKOTICA
Chapter Seven

Dear sunshine,

You’re so beautiful that sometimes I don’t know what to do whenever you smile at me. Have fun at school today, and I hope you like the chocolate. I tried to make something new last night. It has a little bit of peanut butter. Tell me what you think about it! 

 

 

Spring has come a little faster than expected and Minseok is a little sad thinking about the years he has to spend in her absence. Even though he understands that she’ll be visiting him once in a while but knowing that she’ll be gone for many, many months is still very upsetting.

 

 

The flowers are blooming again and the temperature has risen, giving the air a balmier atmosphere with cool breezes. They’re at the lake skipping stones and challenging each other on who could skip more. Birds are chirping around them with the sun shining brightly and the clouds are as flocculent as cotton balls.

 

 

“How’s your blog going sunshine?” Minseok asks as he wraps his arms around her waist from behind, leaning his chin on her shoulder.

 

 

She laughs, squirming in his arms. “That tickles you loser. And my blog is going well. I’ve already started designing the tour one and I think it’s turning out better than expected. How about you? How’s the café?”

 

 

He hums in approval. “It’s good, there are both busy days and peaceful days. I don’t mind it because I like both. But I like you more.”

 

 

She releases his hands around her and looks at him with eyebrows furrowed. “You are so cringe-worthy.”

 

 

“It’s true though.” He says before pecking her on the lips. “I’m going to miss you so much.”

 

 

The girl hugs him tight. “I’ll miss you too, Minseok. But let’s think about it positively, shall we?”

 

 

“Since when did you become so optimistic sunshine? I think you’ve been hanging around me too much.” Minseok laughs.

 

 

She rolls her eyes. “You don’t say.”

 

 

***

 

 

They’re in the middle of somewhere – a place they’re not particularly too sure of. It was a spontaneous decision, to simply drive and let their heart take over their mind. Al fresco and free. And in the midst of colourful pansies and green grass, they lay their blankets out with pillows and cushions, laughing between each hoot of an owl. There’s a lamp placed over their head at the tip of an outstretched branch, hanging almost like a substitute for tonight’s missing moon.

 

 

It’s quiet and nobody talks. They don’t have to because this is young love, this is free spirit… this is innocence painted in its purest form. Nothing matters at this moment because they’re both breathing and everything feels great. The air is fresh, with the addition of an evening spring crisp: chilli against their skin. And they’re living as though this devotion and amity will last forever; they’re deceiving themselves, but that’s not something to worry about now.

 

 

Right now, they’re holding hands. Fingers interlaced with each other, fitting like the perfect puzzle pieces. He’s singing stories of sweet nothings and she’s listening, and it’s okay for them to revel in a fairy-tale just for today.

 

 

“You know sunshine, even if things don’t work out the way we planned, I hope that when you think about what we had somewhere in the future, you’ll remember of all the good things.” Minseok says as he snuggles closer to her, placing his lips on her temple.

 

 

The girl turns to face him, her hands playing with the strands of his fringe, pushing them back so she can look into his eyes. “Of course Minseok, after all, you have only ever given me everything beautiful.” He nuzzles his nose against hers before she speaks again. “But why are you saying this all of a sudden?”

 

 

Minseok looks at her, sadly but tenderly. “I don’t know. I guess you could call it an epiphany.”

 

 

She places her hand on his neck and rubs her thumb over it fondly because she knows what he means; she knows what he’s trying to say. He rests his hand on hers as she expresses. “I’m glad you mentioned it, because it’s true that things will change and we both can’t guarantee anything.”

 

 

***

 

 

Dear sunshine,

Exams are in a few days isn’t it? Well seeing how things turned out, I guess you don’t have to worry so much, so maybe drop by the café this afternoon? Sorry, I can’t come to pick you up… Boss said it’d be busy today. I need to show you something!

 

 

The girl takes the train home and has her father drive her to the café. She meets Minseok behind the counter as he takes off his apron to greet her; wraps her in his arms and kisses her sweetly on the cheeks. He takes her hand and walks her to the back corner, where a reserved table is set up with a flower in the middle, a cup of warm drink and a piece of cake.

 

 

“Don’t tell me you prepared all this?” She smiles at him brightly.

 

 

He shrugs as he pulls back the chair for her to sit down. “And what if I tell you that I did?”

 

 

“You,” she says playfully with a stern face, “are unbelievable. I swear.”

 

 

He laughs at her and hands her a fork. “Why are you still with me then, sunshine?”

 

 

The girl smirks; picking up a piece of cake and tasting it, letting the softness roll on her tongue. “Because you make good chocolates and coffee.”

 

 

Minseok places a hand on his chest and breathes in a huge gasp of air, feigning disappointment. “I must say… I am utterly hurt.”

 

 

She chuckles at him before holding out a spoon with a piece of cake in front of him. Minseok takes it into his mouth and puckers his lips into a pout, still pretending that he is upset. “Come on Minseok, you know I’m joking.” She says with a smile.

 

 

“Of course, I’m only kidding with you sunshine.” He says as he grabs her free hand.

 

 

“Anyways, about the drink today. It’s different… what did you do to it? Are you trying to poison me so I can’t do my test in a few days?” The girl asks with squinting eyes and a wrinkled nose.

 

 

Minseok’s eyes go wide and he takes a big gasp. “How’d you find out, sunshine? I was planning on drugging you so that I could kidnap you and take you away so you don’t have to go on that trip. I guess I failed. Dammit.” He says laughing. “But seriously, all jokes aside, how is that drink?”

 

 

She laughs, taking another sip. “It’s really good, and I mean it. What is it by the way?”

 

 

Minseok takes another piece of her cake and quickly swallows. “It’s my new creation, but I wanted someone to taste it first before I suggest it to the boss. Caramel and peanut butter latte.”

 

 

“So I was only here to do some taste testing? I think I should have been the one hurting.” The girl says with a sigh.

 

 

He squeezes her hand in his and chortles, “Well yes… but it’s also because I missed you.”

 

 

“You and your cheese Mr Kim.” She states rolling her eyes and giggling.

 

 

Minseok leans in and gives her a chaste kiss before whispering against her lips, “You love it sunshine.”