The Abducter

Collections of Oneshots
Please log in to read the full chapter
The Abducter  

When did it start? He didn't really know. All he know was he had strange dreams every night and woke up slightly tired. It always the same dream, same faces but differefent occurence. All he did in those dreams was talking, playing and sit around, yet whenever he came to wake, he feels tired like he didn't sleep a wink. And every morning he came to wonder what was the dream about or does it hold any meaning?

 

"What, are you those kind of people who believe in prophecy dreams Hyukjae?"

"Shut up," he slapped the back of his friend, Chansung. "I don't know what to think, isn't it weird to have the same kind of dreams over and over again?"

"Well... How long has it been going on again?"

Hyukjae shrugged, "months? A year maybe?"

"That's damn long. What did you dreamt about?" Chansung frowning as he asked.

"Hmm... I was in a room, it was bright and I can see the sunlight coming in. There was little kids going around and asked me to play with them, so I did. Every night it just that, in that room and playing with the kids, but what was happening never the same, it's always new like-"

"You're watching a running episode, or like you're living there, right?" Chansung finished.

"Yes, exactly. What, you know something?"

"No, I don't, I'm just guessing. Beside, maybe it's just the condition of your mind."

Hyukjae raised one of his eyebrow, slightly offended, "sorry?"

"Look, I don't mean anything bad nor do I'm implying something about your lifestyle. It's just that I heard somewhere that dreams are often manifestation of someone's mind, their happiness, their wishes, their stress and sort. Maybe, it's just what your subconscious-ness are wishing for. You know, a bright room with sunlight, pretty cozy right? And those children playing with you, yeah... You get it, right?"

"No, I don't get it, so please kindly explain it to me," Hyukjae said sarcastically.

Chansung sighed, "maybe that room is a symbol of what you want. Warm, comfortable and safe place? A serious and loving relationship? Family, children?"

"Come on, you've been getting on my case lately, why would you care if I only do hook ups?" He rolled his eyes impatiently.

"Hey, I told you I'm not implying anything, I just told you what I think about your dreams. It's not my bussiness if you only around, without me spelling it out you know already I don't like it, so why bother."

"Okay, okay I get it..." Hyukjae huffed and turned away when his friend staring at him with solemn eyes.

"I just hope you will finally let it go," Chansung said in serious tone.

"I am moving on..."

"By giving up having any serious relationship and only ing around with your partners? Sure, you moved on."

Hyukjae didn't reply with anything, he stood up and walking away, but stopped when Chansung talk.

"Hey Hyukjae, you know that I love you, right?"

Hyukjae turned to face Chansung with a mocking smile, "you are really not my type."

"Not in that way, head."

"Next time you stop getting on my nerve, I will love you," he said and walks away without looking back again.

"That brat," Chansung snorted and shaking his head as he stare at Hyukjae's back getting further.


--


The room, the warm room with yellowish light coming in through the tall windows which carved with old artistic vines at the edges. The floor is made of dark, sturdy wood, making the room warmer and look comfy. There is a huge red carpet spread on the center of the room, the pattern is exotic yet also give off an elegant image. On one side of the wall there is a fireplace, quite big and made of white marble, very pretty and elegant. Actually the whole room looks elegant, from the sofas, carpet, flower vases even to the door is elegant. Something like victorian style, maybe?

'This time I am alone...' Hyukjae thought and looking around to inspect throughly. He never had the chance because usually there was always kids with him in that room and every single one of them wanted his attention.

He let his fingers slide across the carving on the flower vases, feeling the cold ceramic on his fingertips. It's so beautiful that he wonders, 'how much this thing cost? If I broke it would it cost my life? But this is just a dream, even if I break the whole room it's okay, right?'

There was this strange feeling in his heart that seems to whisper for him to push that vase and let it fall to the floor. Maybe because it's just a dream, the thought that he won't have to be responsible for whatever is happening in that dream, makes him want to do something that he would never do in real life.

'Did this vase created by my mind? Did I want a house like this? Somewhere so warm and comfortable?' Hyukjae looked up and scaned the whole room with his eyes. 'No, no matter how great the room is, I'm still alone. I don't want that.'

He walked to the sofa and sit down, 'yes, this is a good room and I can live in this kind of house pretty comfortably. But, this kind of, victorian style? House is not really my favorite. If so, why would my mind created something like this? Why not my favorite style? Or is my dream really means something else?'

"Isn't it pretty cold today?"

Hyukjae jumped up to his feet at the sudden deep voice coming from the door behind him. Staring wide eyed at the silhouette at the door, it's a man but Hyukjae couldn't really see him, like the person is dark and a bit blurred. A strange thing considering the room was decently lit up, yet at that time Hyukjae didn't really find it odd.

"No, it's not..." he decided to answer, what can happen in a dream anyway?

"Oh," once again the voice came from the silhouette, a hint of a smile was in there. "I was thinking of lighting up the fireplace if you are."

"Well... Thanks? But I'm fine" Hyukjae scratching on his nape out of awkwardness but also nervousness. He didn't know what the silhouette is, did it mean harm or is it just what to chat? He know that he's still dreaming, yet he can't help but to feel tense and slightly scared at the unknown.

A chuckle, "you are alone today."

The word today got Hyukjae feeling like he really lives there, with them passing each day and not just a dream. 'Is this also one of what my mind created?'

"The children are playing in the field right now," the blurred figure said and although Hyukjae couldn't see the face, he know it was smiling. How creepy is that?

"Ah... I see"

"Do you like it here?"

"Huh?" Hyukjae's whole attention got focused on the question.

"Do you like it here, in this place?"

Hyukjae was lost for a moment, 'did my brain asked me whether I like it here or not to myself? Wasn't it suppose to know better than me? Why would he asked me that?'

"Uh... I guess? It's pretty comfy and cozy."

Yet again Hyukjae could feel the smile on the figure, "good to hear that."

 


He blinked, pushing aside the sleepiness and sit up, yawning as he feels tired as usual every morning. Then images of the dream came into his head.

"Oh, last night the dream was quite different from the usual."


--


"So?"

"So I'm telling you maybe your theory is not right, I mean, why would my brain created dreams like that? Something that is... Not really me? Victorian style house is not really my character, I prefer something more modern and minimalistic. The fact that my dreams showed something else means that it wasn't created by me, right?"

Chansung sighed but continue with his work repairing the car, "and you're suggesting that your dreams are... What?"

"I don't know, a message? Just... Something?" Hyukjae shrugged.

"Look, I don't believe in that those kinda things. Beside, why does it really matter what the dreams are titled to?"

"I've been having those dreams for so long, of course I feel the need to figure it out!" He said impatiently.

"I guess you have a point..." Chansung let his hands rest and turned to Hyukjae. "What do you want me to say? I don't understand either Hyukjae, but I still think it's your mind which created those dreams. Like, you know, there are people who always feel sick and sort for so long and even believe they have some illnes but it turned out it's only their minds playing trick with them, mostly caused by pressure and stress."

"Are you telling me that I'm mentally sick?" Hyukjae baffled at the rude comment, he totally didn't expect for his friend to say it like that.

"No, I don't mean that, just... Well, you can't deny you need to talk it over with someone else," he quickly added in defense.

"I am talking about it with you," Hyukjae almost spat in rising anger.

"Not me, with someone... More professional," Chansung said in unsure tone, afraid that it would tick Hyukjae more.

"That's it," Hyukjae quickly standing up, but linger enough to let Chansung say something else.

"Hyukjae you're my brother, of course I'm worried."

"We're not related by blood," Hyukjae said as a matter of fact.

It hurt, really it hurt Chansung to hear that. But he knew Hyukjae enough to let it slide, "it's been years Hyukjae, you need help, I only want to help you."

"But making me feel like a sick person doesn't help me."

"Just because you need help from professional doesn't mean you are sick..." Chansung said in his most tender voice.

The look in Hyukjae's eyes soften, but still hard enough that Chansung know he would walk away any second now.

"I'm still scared, Chansung," Hyukjae admitted with a soft voice.

"I know, I know Hyukjae. That's why-" his words swallowed as Hyukjae starting to walk away without looking back.


--


The same dream again. As he was staring blankly at some children drawing messily on papers, he's wondering, don't people usually didn't realize if they're dreaming? But here he are, living in that moment in that room with those children feels so real yet he knew he's still dreaming.

"Hyukjae-shi, look! Look what I draw!" One of the kids, a boy sitting up and raised his paper to show the messy overlapping lines to Hyukjae.

He smiled as his heart warmed at the sight, "that's wonderful, is that the field where you were playing at yesterday?"

The boy beamed as Hyukjae guessed right, "yes! It was so fun, I wish you were there Hyukjae-shi!"

"I wish I can, yesterday I was lonely because you guys weren't here with me," as he said that a quiet boy who's always sitting near him, hugged him and patted his thigh in some sort of comfort. Hyukjae chuckled lightly at the sweet gesture.

"Then we have to ask him, maybe he would let you go out playing with us!" He said excitedly.

"He?" Hyukjae asked, who is this 'he' he was talking about?

"Uh-oh," he said and cover his mouth, another kid pulling his arm and make a shushing sound. They then running to the another side of the room, leaving Hyukjae in confusion.

He turned to the boy who's still hugging him, finding the big round eys staring at him. "Do you know who did he mean?" He asked to the boy, but only get a shaking head as an answer. Before Hyukjae is able to question again, a voice heard directly from behind him.

"Do you like kids?"

He jolted forward before turning around, seeing a man standing behind him wearing a formal suit. Then his brain quickly catching up that the voice belong to the blurry silhouette he saw yesterday, but this time the man was not that blurry and dark. The edges of his figures is sharper with shape, although Hyukjae couldn't still see his face. But strangely he could sense the expression on the shadow like man.

"Yeah, I like them," he answered not too alarmed as he see the boy hugging him not afraid at all at the shadowy figure. He believe kids are most sensitive towards dangerous people, seeing as the boy totally calm makes him a bit at ease sitting hovered by the shadow man.

He could feel the smile forming on that dark face, it's also creepy but Hyukjae feels something akin to amusement. "That's good to hear. Why did you always sitting on the carpet? There are plenty of chairs and sofas for you to sit on."

The way the shadow man talks sound elegant, making it more eerie yet strangely enticing. "I feel closer to the kids by sitting on the same level as them," he answered. "The chairs are not enough to contain all of us, so I sit on the floor it's only fair."

Hyukjae wait for the man to say anything to what he said, but it seems it's not coming, he could still feel the lingering smile on the dark face.

Before his consciousness fading he heard the man said in a low voice, "perfect."

 


"What does he mean by that?" Hyukjae mumbled sleepily as he just woke up from slumber, as usual still feeling tired despite the long sleep.


--


The silence was so tense and thick. One refuse to say anything and the other afraid to break the thin ice. Only deep sighs can be heard for along time that afternoon in the garage.

"Sleep well?" Chansung finally decided to kill the silence.

"Yeah, I guess," Chansung heaved in relief that Hyukjae at least answering him.

"You look tired..."

"Yeah, I guess," Hyukjae repeated.

"How's your... Job?" Chansung inwardly cringe at the rare awkwardness between them.

"Fine."

They both fell silent again, dead silence that Chansung is wondering if his heartbeat is audible. "Hyukjae I-" he began but cut off as the said man standing up and said,

"I was just showing my face so you don't worry," then he walks away, leaving Chansung again to mule by himself.

"Brat," he pouted at the retreating figure of Hyukjae. He may be the only person Hyukjae let into his heart that close, but that doesn't mean Hyukjae is incapable of closing the door on his face. Still he knows that Hyukjae seek out his presence, although he acts like that, Hyukjae hate to be alone. But as Chansung had witnessed, Hyukjae also scared to get too attached on other people. He hopes he could help Hyukjae sooner or later to deal with his fear.


--


"So, you like to dance?"

Hyukjae smiled as his eyes staring hard at the face, every each day passed the shadow man looking more subtle and he could see more clearly of the face. His eyes trying so hard to catch the lines and edges so he could make a whole picture of the face, but it's still difficult to do so.

"Yeah, it's just my hobby though, I learn dancing by myself so... I'm not so good at it, I think," he said as his fingers twirling the hair of the quiet boy whose head laying on his lap, he learnt the boy's name is Hosang.

"So humble, Hyukjae?" The man said in a tone of tease and somewhat like a seduction. Hyukjae's heart skipped a beat as he saw the soft thin lips turned slightly upward, a rare thing as he swore to never get attracted to another person. Maybe because it's just a dream, he got nothing to lose, so he dares to let his guard down. But seriously, having a crush to a man whose face he couldn't see clearly and furthermore a manifestation of his brain? It's lame even for his standard.

"No, really, I'm not that good."

"I'll be the judge of that," the man said with implication.

"What?" Hyukjae's brain working in full, "but I don't think you will like it." He took the consideration as he look at the victorian room and formal attire of the man, thinking that at such preference he would like some classic dance such as ballet. And Hyukjae could only do street dance.

"Why Hyukjae, although something may not be my favorite, I could enjoy beauty all the same," the man said with flirt, done so smoothly Hyukjae almost took it naturally.

'Does that mean he think of me as a beauty?' Hyukjae thought, not at all flattered because it was said so smooth and it didn't feel like a flatter but an actual fact. 'He's a smooth talker, so smooth it almost got me thinking it would have a catch, a trap.'


--


"I wonder why something mysterious pulling people in, shouldn't it make people scared because it could be dangerous?" Hyukjae mused as his eyes gazing to the distant.

"Are you talking about horror movie?" Chansung asked from beneath the car.

Hyukjae snorted at the reply, finding it funny, "something like that."

"You know, I did experience something like that. I was getting a drink in the middle of the night and was too lazy to turn the light on, then I heard a rattle from the front door. It was scary and obviously it was safer to let the door locked instead opening it to check and let yourself exposed to the danger it might have. But the pull is too strong to ignore, despite my head telling me to stay still, it's hard to resist the force that making me open the door."

Hyukjae wait a while to process every words and let the meaning sinking in his head, "what was it?"

A soft laugh, "it was a cat."

"And you already thought it was a buglar or a ghost?" He laughed as well.

"A buglar maybe, but I don't believe in ghost or anything I don't see for a fact."

"Too realistic of a person is unromantic you know."

"I said otherwise," Chansung said and rolling out from the underside of the car, sitting up to make a point. "My lover think I'm romantic enough."

"Did he said it to you or it was only your assumption?" Hyukjae grinned to .

Chansung hummed through a bitten smile and change the topic, "so what did you find mysteriously... attractive?" He emphasized the last word. "The man of your dreams?"

Hyukjae arched an eyebrow, he did tell Chansung all about his dreams. "Was the pun intended?"

"You can think whatever it is," the grin was so huge Hyukjae wondered will it hurt if it last more than a minute.

"Why are you so happy?"

Chansung shrugged still with the grin plastered on his face, "I don't know, I'm just happy to hear you took interest to something like that."

"It's just a dream," he deadpanned.

"Created by your brain. I sure hope that means you're opening up to the idea."

"What idea?" Hyukjae asked although he fully understand what Chansung meant.

"You know I love you right? As my brother."

"This again," Hyukjae sighed, leaning his head on his palms.

"Come on,

Please log in to read the full chapter