The Incubus: After

Collections of Oneshots
Please log in to read the full chapter

About 9k words, it's going to be a long ride and at a slow pace at first, be patience. And sorry it's not proofread, but I hope you can enjoy it ^^

 

  The Incubus: After

 

I’m hungry… How long has it been since last I felt sated? How did things taste so bland nowadays? Lifting up the cup slowly, I let the hot fragrant liquid washed the weird taste off my tongue, nothing can ruin a good afternoon tea. The warm steam heating up my cold cheeks while sitting peacefully at some café, basking in the beautiful scenery of autumn. Nice, pretty yet hollow and lonely.

But, what is lonely anyway? Being alone, right? It’s been years yet I never really able to understand human’s feelings, even though I tried to live like one. I’ve never able to fully understand what that man said to me years ago, would I ever?

Hmm? I turned my head when something pulling on my outer jacket, a little girl. She’s looking at me with her big dark brown eyes, filled with curiosity and relief. Wait, relief?

“What is it, lil’ girl? You want some cookies?” I asked, offering her a plate of fruit tarts.

She shook her head slowly, eyes never leaving me almost as if in awe. What? Did this little girl able to see my real form? I shuddered at the thought, that’s not good, but why is this girl is not afraid of me if she really does?

“Hey lil’ girl, what do you want? Are you lost?” unconsciously I sounded a bit annoyed since I began to feel wary by those intense stare from the round dark brown orbs. Ugh seriously, what is this kid want? I had enough share of trouble from kids, they’re a very sharp beings. I was about to shoo her away when I heard a voice directed to me.

“Hyukjae?”

In an instant my mind literally froze at the call, oh I know that name, very much. It’s my skin of course I know, but the problem is nobody should be able to recognize me as the real owner of this form, I made it that way with magic to avoid chaos. Except for him, only him who’s able to see my form as Hyukjae. I turned around, seeing a guy standing not too far looking at me with confusion.

“Donghae?” Yeah, I recognize that face, even after ten years, I still remember that face. Instinctively I smiled, hoping he would remember me. But to my surprise the expression on that face looked displeased instantly as I said the name, looking so offended. Huh? He doesn’t remember me?

“That’s rare of you to mistook me as him,” he grumbled while walking closer to where I sit.

Uh-oh, I know where is this going. My heart beating faster as the man with familiar face standing right beside my table. Despite that face surely belong to him, this man doesn’t react positively to that name, which meant he’s not Donghae. But with the way he reacted, I figured he knew both Donghae and Hyukjae, and with that very identic face… And how he’s able to recognize me as Hyukjae when I made it that anyone who knew Hyukjae would see me as someone else, except for Donghae… ! This man must be Donghae’s fraternal twins! That’s explained how the privilege for Donghae is functioning for him too!

“Oh Eunjae, here you are!” he said in surprise when he saw the little girl poking her head from behind my chair.

Is this kid his daughter? Wait, I have a more serious matter at hand now, forget about that kid, focus! This man saw me as Hyukjae, should I pretend to be Hyukjae? Or should I play a fool as someone who just coincidently looked a lot like Hyukjae? Yeah right, like that make sense. But, with this guy here that could also mean that Donghae and or Hyukjae might be nearby too, I don’t think playing as Hyukjae is a safer way.

“Sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I quickly said as I standing up, ready to leave. Great, that was such a lame move, a very good job me! Of course, I’m not surprise at all when the guy caught my wrist with disbelieving expression on his face.

“Wait Hyukjae! What’s with you?” he whined like a kicked puppy despite the strong grip on my wrist. “Why are you leaving like that? Did I make you angry?”

Huh, the stare from this guy which landed on me feels really strange, did Hyukjae have a close relationship with Donghae’s twin? Isn’t that usually spell trouble? I stare back to the guy’s dark brown eyes, mind churning of how to get out of this mess. Then suddenly a strong taste flowing down to my throat as a sweet citrusy smell knocking my sense. Oh… I recognize this taste…

Those dark brown eyes widened, “you’re not Hyukjae… Are you?”

Oh , he’s just as sharp as his brother. The guy hurriedly let go of his grip on me, taking a step back as if I’m poisonous, that’s hella rude. “Who are you? H-how did you look exactly like him?”

I sighed tiredly, now what should I do? But before I’m able to answer, another figure walking closer to us.

“Hey Aiden, Eunjae, I’ve bought the thing, let’s go back!” he shouted as he’s getting closer and when he’s just a few meters away, he’s slowing down his steps. His eyes wide open as he stared right into my eyes, while me, well I’m just standing there scratching my neck like a fool I am.

“Eunhyuk?! Is that you??” he exclaimed, looking surprised beyond belief, if I may say.

“Well, long time no see Donghae.”

“It’s been years!” he said excitedly, dashing to hug me then pulled away and patting my shoulders eagerly. “Oh Eunhyuk, I-I… I’m so happy to see you again… I really, really owe you so much for-“

“Donghae, don’t get all emotional over me,” I said quickly, glancing to the other Donghae to make him understand the situation.

“Oh, oh... right, sorry I forgot,” he then grabbed my hand and dragged me away from his twin, “wait here Aiden, I need to do something.”

The twin was made to protest, but in the end he simply grumbled before sitting down with the little girl on his lap. As we’re walking away from the guy and the kid, I can’t help but asked, “how did he’s named Aiden yet you’re Donghae?”

He laughed, “dad was about to name us as Aiden and Benjamin, but fortunately mom was persistent that at least one of us named as what she wanted, hence Aiden and Donghae.”

I laughed loudly not minding if it sounds mocking, “you as Benjamin? The weirdest thing ever.”

“Aiden is also weird,” he protested.

“No, actually that kinda suit him.”

“Then that name also suit me!” he whined like a child who got his candy stolen.

“Well, still not Benjamin,” I laughed again at the childish antic of Donghae, he’s not at all like how I remembered him. He was a calm, funny yet mature guy ten years ago, well at least I felt like he is at that time. Now he’s much like a free spirited childish guy, who doesn’t mind to banter about useless things no matter how he would look like. I smiled at the thought, he is able to be like that because the heavy burden has been lifted from his heart.

“How do you know it was me?”

“I know, you have… A different presence… It’s unexplainable,” he said with a confused face. “I just know you’re not Hyukjae.”

“So I didn’t hide my presence well?” I sniffed at my own body, now why would I do that when it’s about my presence?

He chuckled amusedly, “it’s good, it’s just because I knew Hyukjae well that I’m able to tell the difference. But it would be a problem if my or his parents saw you.”

“I made sure that anyone who knows Hyukjae will saw me as someone else, so they won’t recognize me. Well, except you since you already know me.”

“Huh? But Aiden…” he frowned.

“He’s your fraternal twin, right? He’s basically the same person as you, so… Ah, but he noticed that I’m not Hyukjae.”

“Of course…” Donghae muttered lowly, with half lidded eyes, gaze hollow as his mind wanders. Oh, I see, he knew that his twin have feelings towards Hyukjae. That’s sad… Right? How does sad feel? Is it this salty tang on my tongue right now? Seeing how weird Donghae is reacting, I decided not to say anything about it.

“How’s Hyukjae?” I asked trying to at least change the topic a bit, it’s still concerning Hyukjae, yes. But what can I do? I’m only good at pillow talk, although maybe I’m getting better at normal conversation after ten years, but still I’m awkward. Well I don’t think I’m bad at it seeing how Donghae’s mood brighten up in a lightning speed.

“Oh Eunhyuk! I’m so very grateful to you!” he exclaimed, hugging me tightly before pulling away again, staring at me with the brightest expression I ever saw on a human. “Thank you, thank you Eunhyuk for brought him back… I can’t thank you enough, I can’t even express it in words of how thankful I am,” he said much with teary eyes. In the end he really did crying happy tears while hugging me tightly.

“That’s okay… I didn’t really do anything. He was wandering in the house, I merely told him to go back,” I patted his back, to calm him down and cuing for him to let me go. I was getting very overwhelmed with the thick sweet salty taste which overflowing from Donghae, with him hugging me like that the aura almost choking me.

“What…?”

“He got into an accident, right? The shock is probably what caused a part of his soul came wandering into my realm, another dimension, which is why he fell into comatose. At that night I was in your realm, that’s why I didn’t realize it right away. Just like you can’t see a ghost because they’re in another realm, we also couldn’t see you when we’re in our realm. There got to be something, some sort of a bridge to connect the realms. So really, it was you who saved him…”

“…really?”

I smiled at the lost expression on Donghae, “it was the candle, Donghae. It was causing a rippling wavelength which caused the dimension to connect, merged in some point. That’s when I heard him, that’s also when he heard you.”

Donghae fell silent, his lips slightly parted as his thought get even more lost, “he heard me…? Every time I lit the candle?”

“Yeah, he did. When I heard him calling your name, I asked if that is really him. Then he told me he’s stuck in that house, he couldn’t go anywhere.”

“Why…?”

“He said he didn’t know,” I smiled again trying to assure the confused guy, “but it was because he wanted to meet you. He’s stuck there because he knew the house is where you and he lived, even when he knew that he’s somehow in another world as he heard your voice yet you never there, his soul was confused. He didn’t know where to go or what happened to him, all he knew was that house is where he could see you.”

Tears flows down on Donghae’s cheeks again, his face looked so messed up as cries slipping out from the thin lips, yet I can somehow see it as a beautiful sight. No, his snots are not beautiful, I guess the fact that he cried for Hyukjae is beautiful, though I don’t really understand why he cried for him.

“B-but, he didn’t remember anything?” he asked between sobs.

“Of course, the memory when his soul wandered around is buried, or maybe felt merely like a dream.” I watched as Donghae gradually stop crying and only sniffing now and then. Oh wet face full of tears and snots, how beautiful that human didn’t care of how ugly they looked when they’re overwhelmed with beautiful genuine feelings, weird how it sounds right.

“How is he now?”

“He’s good, he’s fine now…” he sniffed again, “his spine was injured, there was a time when he couldn’t move his legs, but now he’s able to walk again. Sometimes he would revert back to depression because his legs lost half of it strength, the doctor said he couldn’t gain back the full strength. It was hard because he’s a dancer, dancing is his life, the only way for him to breathe… There are times when he got mad at me, about little things or even nonsensical things, but I know it was just him letting out his frustration on me, telling me to go away…”

I frowned at the explanation, “that’s weird, you’re the one he thought of the most when he was lost.”

Donghae chuckled sadly, the salty taste on my tongue getting stronger and made me winced, “that’s why I know, he never meant what he said… He was just… Bitter about his current condition. But it’s okay, he’s getting better and he never do that again, he accepted it already.”

“I don’t understand why would you hurt someone you love, isn’t that stupid? Love is about treasuring the other, right?”

He smiled at my question, “he was like that because he love me, Eunhyuk. Because he didn’t want to drag me down with his disability, you said the same thing to me before.”

“But he shouldn’t do it like that, right? It will only hurt you, why did he hurt you when he wanted to do good for you?”

“It would hurt in any other way, no matter how,” he then staring deep into my eyes, a slight frown made on his face. “Even after ten years you’re still clueless about love, huh?”

“I can differentiate the taste, but I can’t fully understand it… Sometimes it just doesn’t make sense.”

“Taste? Oh right, you can taste it,” he giggled with light heart, even when his eyes still a bit red from the crying.

“Maybe I’m just a creature which not made for love, I’m only good with lust,” I shrugged.

Donghae didn’t say anything, he just smiled at me while motioning us to go back to where his twin is waiting. Then I remembered the problem.

“Hey, what about your twin? He saw me, he knew I’m not Hyukjae!”

“Oh right. Well… Why don’t you tell him the truth? That’s okay right? He has a tight lipped mouth.”

“Now that sounds so naughty even though I knew exactly what you meant,” I my lips.

“Hey, he’s my brother,” he protested lightly.

“Are you sure it’s okay?”

“There aren’t any rules saying that human shouldn’t know about incubus, right?”

“No, but that didn’t meant we could just spread it all around the world, that would cause chaos,” I sighed.

“It will be fine, he’s not going to say it to anyone,” he said followed with a laugh.

“Are you sure?”

“Sure,” he winked.

Hmm, why does it feel like he’s planning something?

We walked to the café, reminded again that I haven’t pay my drink and desserts, thankfully Donghae’s twin sat on my seat, so the staff didn’t think of me doing eat and run. Oh, I also realized I haven’t asked him yet whose child is the little girl.

“Sorry for making you wait Aiden,” Donghae said as we reached the table, seeing the other twin still holding the little girl on his lap, who almost immediately reaching out her hands towards me. “Ahahaha! She thought you’re Hyukjae, how cute.”

Aiden narrowed his eyes suspiciously not pleased at Donghae’s laughter and my mysterious appearance, well mysterious because I look identic to Hyukjae. “Who is he?” he asked cautiously.

“This is my friend Eunhyuk, he…” Donghae turned to me, “…can introduce himself, I’ll go back first, you can talk to him.” He hurriedly run away after gathering the little girl in his arms.

“Huh?!” both Aiden and I shouted in shock. How could he left me alone with his twin?! And he must be wondering why did Donghae left him with me! Hell I don’t even know why! Damn, he ran so freaking fast!

“Uh…” I’m scratching my nape nervously, why did I end up here anyway? I shouldn’t give a , I could just walk away.

“Who are you?” the guy suddenly said before I’m able to make my first step away.

“Well I… I’m Eunhyuk,” damn Donghae for leaving me here like this. I’ve been undercover for ten years as a human, though not a good one, but still to suddenly wear off the mask is ridiculous!

“I know Hyukjae doesn’t have any sibling, so how could you look exactly like him?”

I sighed in defeat, “fine, that’s because I’m borrowing his appearance because my real form got not form, it just a shadow with purple wings and a tail. I’m an incubus, got it? Why his? Because it’s comfortable and I like it.” point blank shot.

He gaped at me, looking like an idiot much more than I am, is he going to believe it right away? Donghae did, didn’t he? Well there is no other rational explanation of how I got Hyukjae’s appearance, right? He got to believe me.

“Actually it’s weirder for me to see you have an exact copy of Donghae’s face,” I challenged which he instantly bit on my bait, frowning very much offended with my words.

“I am my own self, Donghae is Donghae,” he retorted with a growl from the back of his throat.

Huh, guess who got inferiority complex? “Well you do look different from him, you have a slightly leaner face even though your body fuller than him.”

“Because I got more toned muscles than him,” he quickly added earning a scoff from me.

“Kid. You got different personality too…” This Aiden seems more of an introvert than the other, I guess. But undeniably more feisty, hmm.

“So what? I got no rainbow and unicorn kinda personality, I don’t care.”

Uh-oh, bullseye, he must hate it to be compared with Donghae. “I don’t care either, honestly, it’s not funny if you got the same personality even with the same face. That got to be weird. So, yeah, nice meeting you Aiden, I gotta go.”

“Wait!” he practically shouted at me, before his expression then changed into shameful one and asked me, “h-how did you know Donghae?”

“Let’s say… I met your brother, then, well… We talked and that’s it,” I shrugged.

“What? That’s it?” that face really showed of how he didn’t believe me, but I didn’t exactly lie.

“Yep,” I nodded, waiting for him to say or ask more but he didn’t. So I started to get going, “well then, I should go-“

“Can we talk again then?” he asked me hurriedly when he saw me going away. “I-I mean I’m just curious…”

Curious of what? I almost blurted it out, but then again I hold back, isn’t curiosity often led to my everyday meals? I noticed the constant flow of aura going through me, leaving a sour bittersweet taste on my tongue. I know very well how attracted Aiden is towards my appearance, towards Hyukjae. Should I let him linger? The taste is mostly bitter, but the special sweetness is also there. Love.

Maybe I could taste more.

 

“Sure.”

 

--

 

“Boo!”

“Aaaakh!!” he screamed at the top of his lung and stumbled backward, his face morphed into terror before gradually painted in anger and shame. “Yah! What the are you doing scaring me like that Eunhyuk!”

I laughed smugly seeing his distressed state as he patted off the dirt from his pants, “God Aiden, you should see your face! It’s freaking hilarious!”

“Seriously, you should stop freaking me out every time you decided to see me,” he grumbled with a big pout and frown. Ah, how fun it is to mess with him, he was easy to scare and unlike Donghae who would just laugh it off and return the favor, Aiden would always reacting like a grumpy old man much to my pleasure.

“How do you know it was me?” I’m a bit fascinated of how he could always differentiate me with Hyukjae, well we got the same exact face after all it should be hard to recognize who is who, yet the twins never fail.

“First, he wouldn’t do like you, he may be a tease but not like you. And second, well, you just felt different that’s all.”

“Different how?”

He stares at me deeply, “hmm, just different… I can’t explain it but it just is.”

“So I’m not like Hyukjae?” I asked, almost like testing.

He didn’t answer right away, the dark brown eyes lingers on me before a whisper heard, “you look exactly like him…”

There is it again, the bittersweet taste, it always came to me whenever he or I mention Hyukjae. Was it bitter because he thought his love would never be reciprocated? Or was it bitter because the one he loves is together with his brother whom he loves too? Or was it because he felt bad whenever Donghae looked very guilty almost every time the three of them are together? This is a very pitiful case of romance, really. It’s mostly bitter, sour and salty. At first I’m interested because love has a different kind of sweetness, very intriguing and so I latched on Aiden seeing how he’s very much attracted –if not in love- with my appearance, but now weeks later he never do anything to me.

That’s boring, why wouldn’t he make use of me when he already knew what I am? Why won’t he give me that sweet taste? Is it because he’s conscious enough that I’m not Hyukjae? Hmm, I could just seduce him and he’ll stand no chance, but that’s not how I want it. Well, other than that I found it delig

Please log in to read the full chapter