Chapter Five

Dreaming Alone

The fun didn't last long. Dark clouds were turning the day dark and rain started falling. The four members got out of the water, wrapped themselves in towels and went inside, hiding from the rain. And with the rain came the lightning and thunder in a constant dance of sound. It ruined Hoseok’s mood as he went to his room, closed the door and laid down in bed. Taehyung and Jimin went off to get dressed and find the other members.

Jin, however, wasn’t bothered much and after getting dressed in a fresh and dry set of clothing he decided he’d make lunch for his younger members. He baked some eggs, scrambling them together, and also some bacon. He set the table with plates, knives and forks, bread, eggs and bacon. He made some tea for him and others if they wanted and finally, called everyone to the dining room where they gathered, chattering through the loud thunder.

Hoseok sighed as he heard Jin, contemplating if he should go and join them or stay quiet and alone in his room. He wanted to stay in his room, but decided to go and join the others, getting dressed in tight blue ripped jeans and a light grey tank top, with an added snapback just because he felt like it. Then, he headed towards the dining room and sat beside Jin, taking in the smell off the food and tea. It made him calm, it made him feel better, for however long it would last.

“So… Do you guys miss home, miss family?”

The oldest male had asked, which had surprised Hoseok. And also, it made him nervous as he glanced around to see if any of the Guardians were around. Although he saw no one, he was pretty sure at least Lilly, his Guardian, was keeping an eye on them and listening along. He swallowed and stared at the food on his plate, unable to take another bite.

The silence was deafening as everyone looked at Jin, surprised that he had asked such a question, but they all shook their heads in a no. No, they didn’t miss home, or family. It surprised both Hoseok and the oldest male, something was definitely up. He got a nauseous feeling, the rest left to do their thing, the majority of them leaving to the living room. He stayed behind with Jin, staring at his plate, wondering what consequences this was going to have on him, or the others. It terrified him that they could be punished for even asking such a question, and he was unsure why Jin had asked.

Jin cleaned up the table, noticing Hoseok wasn’t feeling well and eventually sat beside him. “Are you alright?” he asked.

The younger man nodded, looking up at the older one. “Why did you ask that?”

He shrugged and looked away. “I was curious. Something is definitely up and I want to find out what, however, we both know there are consequences. I’m willing to take that risk to find out what is going on.”

Hoseok nodded, looking at the table quietly. “Me too,” he spoke after a long silence, in a breath as he felt a sharp pain in his chest. He ignored it though.

“We could get killed,” he said.

Jin nodded. “Then so be it.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want you to die, I don’t want to put the lives of the others at risk,” Hoseok said.

Jin nodded again. “If we do so, so be it. I’m not going to live like them, obeying their orders and watching my family and fans suffer.”

Hoseok nodded and swallowed. “Okay then.”

He had expected Lilly to appear, or any other Guardian, but apparently, they were hiding. It scared him, but it was also comforting. He was still hesitant though, he didn’t want to risk the other members lives, however, if Jin was willing to, he wanted to help. He wanted to get out, one way or another.

The two of them got up and decided to find a library and see if there was any information there. They got their bicycles and cycled through the village until they found a library, hidden between two streets. It was an old building, fairly large as well. They entered the library and each took a section, searching through the books. An hour later and they had only gone through a small section of the library, both taking a break and sitting at a table with a laptop.

Jin was googling random stuff, trying to find the location they were at, or something about the Dweller and Guardian world, but there was not much to find and all the information that was available seemed to be untrue.

He was slightly frustrated, but not ready to give up. Even if it would take him years to find an answer, he would find an answer, he would find a way out. Hoseok just watched Jin's movements, quietly. He sighed in frustration and looked around. He was sure that asking a worker would end them up dead, however, perhaps there was a forbidden section somewhere.

"Jin," he whispered, looking towards the older male, ''maybe there's a forbidden section somewhere."

Jin frowned for a minute, before nodding. "Okay. Go search but be careful," he whispered.

Hoseok nodded and went away, exploring the library to see if he could find a forbidden section. Jin stayed where he was and continued searching through the section he'd chosen to search through first, moving from book shelf to book shelf in the hoop to find anything on this strange place.

Hoseok in the meantime was nervously looking around while wandering through the large building. Eventually, he found a door with "staff only" and decided to enter, taking his chances. He wasn't sure if there was any security awaiting him, but that was the chance he was taking.

He walked down the staircase until he came in a dimly lit room. There were some books scattered around, and several book shelfs full of books. He started looking through them until he found a diary.

"Diary of James."

He scanned the pages and decided it would be worth taking it with him. There had been some interesting notes. He continued searching and found a few more diaries, taking them with him to read. Perhaps it would contain some interesting things, and hopefully some things that would be interesting.

Jin, in hte meanwhile, searched around the shelfs of the other sections that were open to the public, but he was pretty sure there wouldn't be any book or page that contained information on getting out. He hoped Hoseok had found something that could help them, or lead them to the right path. That would be rather helpful. 

After another short while of looking through the books, he'd found some with interesting notes and another few diaries and decided to leave it at that before someone would come for him. He quickly walked up the stairs and exited the room, closing the door and quickly going to Jin who he found searching through a big pile of books about virtual worlds and parallel worlds.

Jin turned to find his friend holding a bunch of books. He knew they had to get out of here, unnoticed in the hope that no one would discover someone had taken books from a forbidden section. They exited the library, grabbing a plastic bag along the way and cycled back towards the house they lived in. They arrived and went to Hoseok's room to avoid anyone, including the Guardians.

"So, I found a bunch of diaries and some books with interesting notes. I think these diaries and books will help us along the way of discovering how to get out of here. At least, I hope so. But they were in a staff room, there were many more books there. All seemed to have something that wasn't allowed to be passed around. There were also books on a pile with ''exterminate'' on a piece of paper. If anything, these books will be our way of getting out of here."

The older man nodded, taking one of the diaries and started reading. Hoseok did so too, taking the diary he'd found most interesting and started reading through the pages and the little notes written on the side. It contained some information about how this world worked and that, if people from outside got to know this world existed it would collapse, taking every single person in it with it. It also had a little clue, a website, that could possibly give them some more information. But it was annoying, it didn't contain clear notes on how to get out. He sighed and laid the book aside, then watched Jin, still stuck in the book.

There was a sudden knock on the door. "Can I come in?"

, it was his Guardian. Hoseok started gathering the books and shoving them in a box and shoving the books under the bed with the help of Jin.

"Yes," he finally said, watching the door nervously as it opened and the girl walked in. She immediately noticed his nervousness, which made her suspicious. 

"Why so nervous?"

Jin got up, seemingly irritated by this woman.

"Maybe because you keep coming back. It makes us nervous, but above all, it's irritating. If we'd needed you, or any other Guardian, we would have called for you."

Lilly narrowed her eyes, approaching the older, taller male. "I'm keeping an eye on you two, as I was ordered to do so. The fact that you guys are trying to find a way to get out spells bad news. This world will collapse if a non-Dweller finds it. I'm not prepared to die, so unless you two are prepared to die and take everyone with you, stop it. There is no way out, you're going to end up dead like this."

Hoseok got up, standing in front of Jin. "I'd rather be dead than stay in this miserable world of yours."

She smirked, moving quickly as she grabbed his throat and pushed him against the wall on her right side. She enabled his movements, letting him stand there as she closed of his airways.

"That can be arranged," she said, threateningly. 

Jin wasn't prepared to watch his friend die as he shoved her away and narrowed his eyes. "Go away, leave us alone."

The young woman stepped back, narrowed her eyes for a moment as she saw the box, took it and vanished.

"!" the younger male cursed. There went their way out, their hope if finding a way out. He sighed, taking a few deep breaths to calm down. He'd risked his life to get those books and now they were gone. Gently rubbing his painful throat, he sat down on the bed.

The older man sat down beside his friend and sighed. "Well... We're back to square one." It frustrated him that they had to start all over again to find information. This was some cruel joke played on them, maybe some kind of illegal web show. Whatever it was, there had to be a way out. They'd only been here for a few days and he was ready to go, getting tired of all the rules and restrictions. Feeling homesick as he was unable to contact his family. All he wanted was to return home, but the Guardians were keeping them locked up in this tiny village. Perhaps he should break the rules and contact his family, but he would end up dead. Although right now, death seemed to be a better option than living here.

While Jin was deep in thought, Hoseok just stared at the open door, wondering what to do next. He looked at the other male, wondering what he was thinking, but not wanting to disrupt the thoughts his friend seemed to be in. He laid down, staring up at the ceiling with tired eyes.