Chapter Two

Dreaming Alone

Was this a joke? Was this some kind of sick joke that someone was playing on him? Had his dreams gone mad?

Hoseok had fallen face first into the grass. Grass, again. He laid there, confused for a moment, before getting up. He looked around, standing up completely and noticed he was in another field, with the same tree. However, the tree contained many light bulbs this time, flickering off and on. It was dark, the sky was covered in tiny dots that resembled stars, but there was no moon.

He then noticed someone lying in the grass. Carefully, he edged closer until he noticed the figure was a young woman, probably somewhere in her early twenties. She had four arrows in her chest, just like he had four arrows in his back. He wondered if this was by accident.

“Hoseok wake up, this is madness!” But he knew he was awake, that this wasn’t some dream. This was real, no matter how weird it was. He sighed and got onto his knees, reaching out towards one of the arrows. He ran his fingers through the white feathers, before pulling his hand back as the girl moved. She groaned softly and opened her eyes, blinking several times before turning her gaze to him.

Her eyes were green, like that of the grass. Her hair was a dark brown but with lighter highlights, her skin pale, small nose and pink lips. She seemed rather skinny. She was wearing a simple white dress that reached to her knees and didn’t have any sleeves. She was stunning, and it made Hoseok nervous.

A small smile formed as she saw him. “Hey. I have been waiting for you. You were the last to arrive.” Confusion grasped him as he blinked a few times, trying to process the information into something he knew. Why had she been waiting for him? And what did she mean with him being the last to arrive? Arrive where? Where was he!? Why was he last? Who had arrived first? From beginning to end, this must have been the most weird experience he’d ever had. It all seemed so fake but it was so real. Maybe this was some kind of television show, maybe he was being pranked and there was some kind of hidden camera somewhere, and all the members were in on this. It seemed too unreal to be true.

He didn’t know what to say. The Korean male just nodded quietly as he watched her sit up, seemingly without ease, even though the arrows in her chest must have hurt or bothered her. After a few seconds, she gazed up to the dark sky with the stars and smiled. There was no moon, just the blinking white dots that represented the stars of the galaxy. There were many colours in the sky, red and brownish, around the stars but in the background. He had so many questions, as he looked at her questioningly.

“I’ll answer all your questions in a while. First, lets join the feast.” Another thing to confuse him, but he simply nodded, got up with her and followed her to the tree. Again, there was a door, different, this time, and he watched her open it and step inside with ease. She seemed to know exactly what to do. He stepped inside, standing in front of her as she closed the door. There wasn't much space and it made him even more nervous. He in his belly, standing against her, shifting uncomfortable in his place.

“Close your eyes, this might hurt for a bit. Just hold on.”

“Hurt? What do-” But he was cut off as she grasped his arm and the world started spinning, the darkness became vague and started getting coloured. White patches appeared everywhere, and human-like shapes as well. Hoseok closed his eyes and held his breath, feeling like he was about to throw up or pass out. A few minutes passed until he felt her let go. He slowly opened his eyes, hesitant, to find himself in a big dining room with a big table full of food. Chicken, pork and all kinds of meats, potato dishes and vegetables. There was ice cream as well, and lots of sauces. And then he noticed people seated at the table. Hoseok recognised half of them, the other half strangers to him, just like this girl.

They were the other six members of BTS, all present. From the youngest, Jungkook, to the oldest, Jin. He found himself not able to say a thing, he felt tears starting to flow down his cheeks. They were all there, and he wondered if that meant they were all dead. He wiped them furiously and took his place at the table, sitting in between Namjoon and Yoongi.

He noticed none of them had arrows in their chests or backs, but there was a whole pile of arrows on a table in the far left corner. He then felt four tugs, a sharp pain. The girl from earlier, that had brought him here, laid his and her arrows on the table. It took him a few minutes to regain himself, sit up straight and look at the other members.

They all smiled, seemingly happy that the group was complete. He wondered if they too were full of questions. But before he could ask, the girl that had brought him here started speaking.“Welcome, members of Bangtan Sonyeondan. As your Guardians might have explained earlier, you’ve been given a second chance at life, but not as a normal citizen of Earth. But rather, as a Dweller. Which means that, even though you are alive, your heart is beating and you’re breathing, you will not join the non-Dwelling human beings of Earth. Instead, you’re in a little village hidden by special protection force fields cast by the Guardians. You are not allowed to have contact with any of the non-Dwellers. This will result in punishment, and in most cases, even a death sentence.”

Hoseok frowned. So they were really willing to stop them from contacting other people? He was desperate to let the world know he was alive and well. Desperate to cheer up his fans, but it was forbidden, punished by death, even. It made him cautious of this new world. He didn't understand. Why couldn't he just contact his fans, family, friends. Post a tweet in his twitter and let the world know he was alive? It was strange.

“Right. You will live together in this house. There’s seven bedrooms, each for every member. There’s three bathrooms you’ll have to share, each equipped with a large bathtub that can contain several people and a shower. There’s a living room with a large couch and four lounge chairs. It has a television, so you can watch that. You’ve got a large garden as well, equipped with a pool. There’s a kitchen and a dining room, which is this room.

As for the village, you live on the outskirts of it. A ten minute bike ride will take you to the center where there’s many shops, McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks, etc. All you’ve ever wanted close to you will be there. There's internet there, however, this is a reminder that contacting anyone from outside will get you a punishment or a death sentence. Non-Dwellers may never know that we, you, exist. So go explore, but first, enjoy the feast. When you need us, just say our name and we’ll be there.”

She bowed and all the Guardians vanished, just like that. Hoseok sighed quietly, not wanting to show his irritation and confusion towards the others. He was still full of questions he wanted answers to, but first, he was hungry.

All members started eating, enjoying the delicious food that had been prepared for them by the Guardians. They were chatting happily, and although Hoseok was joining in, smiling and laughing, he found it hard to do so. He had to force himself to smile and to laugh. All he wanted was to retire for the night and ask a lot of questions tomorrow. He wondered how the other members could be so happy, knowing they could never contact friends or family, or their fans to let them know they were alive. He wondered if they were happy to just be alive, and take the rest as something they could live with. Hoseok wasn't sure if he wanted to live with this. The fact that there was internet and television made him nervous. He wanted to see if their deaths had been reported, he wanted to know how his family and friends and fans were doing. But he could not contact them. It was a scary and confusing concept.

His behaviour didn’t go completely unnoticed. Jimin and Taehyung but also Jin seemed to glance at him with worry from time to time. He shot them smiles every time, trying to convince them he was alright. Although he wasn’t sure if he was. He felt conflicted and confused. And he wasn’t sure if he wanted to continue life as a Dweller, not able to contact family and friends, or show his fans he was still alive.

After all members were done eating and chatting, Hoseok remained quiet, staring out the window at the lightening sky. He felt exhausted but he didn’t want to go to sleep. He wanted to walk around and explore the village for a bit, but he was unsure if he wanted to do that all alone. Maybe he could ask Taehyung or Jimin with him. Although everyone else looked tired and ready to go to bed, leaving him alone.

The first to leave was Jungkook, who had been half asleep for quite some time. Suga and Jin retreated to their bedrooms as well, and eventually Namjoon too. Hoseok started gathering the plates and putting them in the kitchen, hoping he wouldn’t have to wash them. Maybe the Guardians would do that. He some food in the fridge or freezer, and the other food he threw away because they’d be rotten by noon. Neither Taehyung or Jimin helped him, they were talking to each other.

Hoseok sat down across them. There was a long silence, lasting several minutes, feeling like hours. Eventually, Taehyung spoke up. “I think I’m heading off to bed too. I’m quite tired. You two should too.”

Jimin nodded, agreeing. Hoseok sighed and looked at the window once more. A nap wouldn’t be that bad. He nodded and they headed off to bed.

He entered his room and closed the door, then looked around. There was a window across from him, on the right side a large king-sized bed and on the left a large closet. He walked towards it and opened it to find all his clothing in there, even his performance clothing. He closed it and sat down on the bed, looking around. The walls were a dark blue, the closet white. It was quite calming. His room didn’t have any rooms, he wondered if the other bedrooms had rooms.

He laid down on the bed. It was quite comfortable. It made him smile, thinking of his own bed back home. Everything made him think of back home. He was unsure if that was a positive thing or not. He wanted to go home, but there was no way he could.

The Asian male sighed deeply. Exhausted gripped him and soon enough, he was asleep, snoring lightly, dreaming of that one girl, his Guardian.