Chapter 7: Choices that One Makes

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiwon eyes the brown door from the sidewalk before a heavy sigh left his lips. The surroundings were quiet due to the inactivity during the night. Everyone was probably in bed or at least heading to it and here he was, far from home and struggling with himself.

He hated this.

He hated what they made him do.

And he hated the fact that he couldn’t say no. 

Jiwon closes his eyes before taking a single step forward. This shouldn’t be that hard yet why did his legs feel so heavy? Was it the guilt that cripplingly weighed on his heart? Clenching his fists at his sides, he forced his legs to take the last few steps up to the front door of the home. And his heart sinks a little more as he brings his knuckles up to lightly rap against the door. 

He hears a feminine voice question his identity but couldn’t get himself to answer.

Suddenly, the door clicks open revealing a middle-aged woman while her young son hides behind her legs. Jiwon quickly catches the expression on her face – she knew why he was there. The obvious tired wrinkles lined her features as her eyes nervously darted anywhere but at him.

“I don’t have anything to give to you right now.”

“I’m told to come and collect.” Jiwon tried his best to keep his voice firm. 

She blinks away the forming tears. “I really don’t have anything. Please give me some more time.”

“That’s what you said last time.”

“I know –“ Her voice temporarily breaks before she looks down at her kid. Jiwon’s eyes followed hers and his gaze landed on the young boy staring up at him. And he wonders if the kid would remember his face – the face belonging to a person who was making his mother’s life slightly bit harder.

And his heart sinks further.

“Please.” She begged. 

“Where is he?” Jiwon knew. It wasn’t her fault. Usually, the people he was forced to find never had anything to do with the accumulation of debt. The real perpetrators were always off hiding somewhere while their loved ones were suffering. It was always the same thing over and over again.

She shakes her head slightly before shrugging. “I don’t know.”

“What do you have on you right now?” Jiwon questions again.

She nervously gulps before turning around to look for her wallet. Following her inside, he gently pats her son’s head while walking past him. 

“Here.” She returns with some money in her hands. “The rent is almost due, there are other living expenses – ”

He immediately shuts the door. “I’ll take whatever you can give me.”

Startled by his words, she stuttered. “But, that’s not all I owe you.”

Reluctantly, he reaches for his wallet in his back pocket and looks inside it. He hesitates seeing the bills in it but decides to pull it out to count. They had a purpose but he knew what would happen if he couldn’t return with all the money. 

“I’ll cover for you this time –“

“Why?” She blurted while staring at him in surprise. “Why would you do that?”

“Because I don’t want to get beaten up.” He merely responds while not bothering to look up to meet her eyes.

He looked around the home – at least now the place would stay intact and the kid…he turned around to glance at him – 

The kid could sleep comfortably for another night.

“I don’t know if I’ll be the person that would collect your next payment but –“

“Thank you.” The woman inhales a shaky breath before tears streamed down her face. “Thank you.”

Jiwon swallows hard before looking away. “You need to at least make your next payment – you should know what they’re capable of.” Making sure that he had enough, he stuffs the money back in his wallet before turning towards the door.

“How did a high schooler get mixed up with them?”

The question causes Jiwon to still. “…It was a choice.” He answered curtly before opening the door and disappearing into the night.

***

What should I do? My method of getting closer was quickly found out and rejected by Jiwon himself. 

Was handing him bandages too bothersome?

Or possibly, too weak of a plan?

Taking one of the many seats available and placing my tray of food on the table, I greeted the person across from me with a smile. He remained silent, watching my actions carefully.

“Hi.” 

“What are you doing?” Jiwon questioned.

“Just sitting.” I looked over my shoulder to see Jinhwan hesitating. He would look at me and look away – clearly struggling with following what I wanted to do and what he wanted to do – which was to go back to our original lunch table.

Motioning him over, Jinhwan received the push he so needed. He wouldn’t want me to leave him behind. Walking over with an unsure look on his face, Jinhwan slides into the seat beside me. 

“Why here?” Jiwon asked. 

“Because you look lonely.” I honestly answered.

“You decided that on your own.” He retorts, not agreeing with my words. Seeing that his unwelcoming tone would not deter me, he takes the matter into his own hands and gets up on his feet before bringing his tray of food away, along with him.

My eyes widened. “Wait, Jiwon –“

After receiving another obvious refusal, Jinhwan shot me a look. “I told you he wouldn’t like it.”

I huffed silently. “I had hope.” I muttered to myself.

“Seon, no one likes others digging into their private lives.” Jinhwan reasons. “So, let’s just mind our own business.”

**

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter