Chapter 44: Thank You

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Stay put.” 

Heeding Mr. Kim’s order, I took a look at my dad beside me. “…What does this mean?” We were both in the locker room now and I wanted to be certain about something before returning to Jiwon’s side.

He looked elsewhere. “I want help.” He spoke the words but couldn’t hide how unconfident he felt about his decision. It was something hard to admit. 

Not quite believing that I’m hearing those words, I composed myself. “No tricks this time.”

Dad sighs. “No tricks – things have escalated enough.”

Slowly, I reached for his hand. “This doesn’t mean I forgive you yet.”

He nods his head in understanding. 

Focusing back, I release my dad’s hand as the sound of my name rings out.

“Seon, can you help us with this?” Hanbin calls out and I move to where he is bending over Jiwon. Removing his hand from the oxygen mask, I placed my own to hold it into place. “Just keep that there for now.”

“Okay.” I looked down and Jiwon gently opened his eyes once more. I smiled down at him, hoping to ease his worries as well. 

He opened his lips and the plastic mask fogged up as he attempted to say something. Hearing some mumbling, I looked up to see what it was. 

Mr. Kim was standing at the door speaking to security – they exchanged a few words and he quickly returned. He stood at my side – “They got the troublemaker at the exit.”

I didn’t want to make assumptions, but I could only hope. “Jangseop?”

He nods his head before looking over at the medical personnel. “So, what’s going on?”

“His vitals are normal. We’ll get him hooked up with an IV.”

“Then hurry up.” He urged them. 

***

“Dongmin.”

The older man remained quiet on the couch while Aunt Dara stood towering over him with her arms crossed upon her chest. We never thought this day would come…or it looked so far off. 

“If this is some kind of trick – “

“It isn’t.” He replies adamantly. “I swear.”

Aunt Dara breathes in deeply and while I watch on from the side. “So, what is the deal so I know you understand.” She declared.

“Therapy – three times a week.” He responds. “No excuses.”

“And?”

“Get a job.”

“And?”

“Keep it.”

Hiding my own smile, I grow distracted due to the buzzing from my phone. Taking it out, I see Jinhwan’s name on the screen. “Hello?”

“Turn on the TV.”

***

My quick footsteps carried me to where I needed to be. Appearing before the white door, I didn’t knock nor did I bother to wait for an answer before opening it and peeking inside. I knew he was awaiting my visit anyhow.

A smile appeared on his lips as my own widened to see him in better shape than the days before.

“Good morning.”

Sitting upright with his back against the pillow in the hospital’s bed, he beckoned me closer. Stepping inside, I hid the flowers behind my back. 

“You’re late.”

“Dad was over. We had a talk.”

He nodded his head. “He’s going to be serious?”

“That’s what he says.” And all we could do was trust him and hope he keeps his word.

“What do you have there?” Jiwon questioned while I closed the door and took steps towards the bed.

Standing before him, I fixed the purple flowers in the vase on his bedside table. Unlike how happy he had been the other day to see them, his expression looked darker. Something I hadn’t quite expected. I looked at him in curiosity.

“If you’re bringing those, that means I can’t leave this place yet.”

I chuckled at his words. “You were severely dehydrated, tired…” I looked at the IV he was connected to. “It’s a well needed break.” I pulled over the chair and sat down at the side of his bed. “You were slightly overworked.” I hope he learns to not do it again. Besides the training he did with Mr. Kim and Hanbin, we found out belatedly that he was doing some on his own time also.

Jiwon sighed and remained silent. 

I reached forward and took his hand in mine. “It’s a lesson to learn – remember

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter