Chapter 35: The Haunting Past

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Every day comes with the thought that Jiwon possibly couldn’t run into me. It was to be expected with anyone in his kind of situation. 

Yet – 

Making my way down the sidewalk, I abruptly stopped in my steps just before I reached the curb. The person that came into view had a recognizable air around him. From this distance, I could see him leaning back against a car which left his back facing me.  

Getting closer, I was once more proved wrong.

Even after seeing him the past few days, here he was again despite what I initially believed.

Jiwon was the one brushed up against a bright red car – that screamed new and expensive. His attention was down on his keys in his hands and for a moment, he looked up at his surroundings and caught sight of me. 

Keeping my gaze, he walked over and stopped before me. 

“I’ve been running into you often.” I commented before something dawned on me. 

Oh, bus – 

“Sorry, I can’t stay to talk.” I return to the task at hand and look for the path that takes me to my bus stop. Before I could take another step, Jiwon moved in front of me.

He motioned towards the car and asked blankly – “…Do you like it?”

Taken aback, I didn’t know how to respond. “Why does my opinion matter?” 

Jiwon’s expression freezes. “Uh – “

“Excuse me, I’m going to miss the bus if I don’t hurry.” I offered him a smile before walking away.

***

“It didn’t faze her.” 

Jiwon reveals to the boy’s confusion. “I really thought it would work.” Junhoe commented underneath his breath. 

Yesterday, it was his idea for Jiwon to do something that would surely catch Seon’s eye but it didn’t quite turn out the way he predicted. 

“I can’t believe you went out and bought a car for that reason.” Hanbin stated in disbelief before returning his attention back to slipping the training pads onto his hands. “If you think Seon will be impressed by wealth, aren’t you misunderstanding her?”

Pulling off his shirt, Jiwon thought about Hanbin’s point.

“But, don’t girls like those stuff?” Junhoe asked, peeking through the ropes.

“Does Seon?” Hanbin questioned back.

“No.” Jiwon provides the answer rather quickly.

Hanbin chuckled at his honesty. “Then why did you listen to Junhoe?”

Junhoe looked from Hanbin then towards Jiwon. “…Well, you needed a car anyways.” He said lastly before going off. He has done enough damage.

Hanbin smiled in amusement. “You’re quite desperate if you’re taking Junhoe’s advice.”

Jiwon tapes his hands and doesn’t bother a response – maybe he is.

***

“We’re closing – “ Dara looks up and finds Jiwon standing on the other side of the counter. “Jiwon, is there something?”

“Ms. Dara, is Seon…”

“She works at the restaurant today.” Dara says with a knowing smile. “On Tuesday’s and Thursday’s – usually from lunchtime to the late evening.” 

“Thank you.” Jiwon responds softly. “It’s just…” He looks down into the pocket of his sweatshirt. “I had something to give to her but I didn’t have a chance to today.”

She nods her head. “Do you want me to give it to her?”

Removing his hand from the pocket, Jiwon makes up his mind. “I should give it to her th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter