Chapter 17: Ipheions

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The moment I opened my eyes was the moment they remained stuck to my phone. Making no movements to take a single step out of bed, I lied on my side and waited for the screen to flash. 

After dropping Jiwon off at home last night, I figured an update would be given to me. 

A call, a message…anything.

And if Jiwon wasn’t going to call, I hoped that Chanwoo would at least contact me. 

“Seon, you’re still in bed?” Aunt Dara’s voice rang out from the other side of my shut bedroom door. 

“Yes.” I mumbled my response, my attention still on the device lying idly beside my pillow.

“Are you feeling okay? You’re usually up early.” This time, the muffled voice grew clearer as she opened the door to see me. “Are you still helping me today?”

Sighing, I sit up in bed after realizing that maybe no phone call will be made. “I’ll go get ready now – “ In the same moment, my phone began vibrating as the screen flashed with the familiar name. “Aunt Dara, I have a phone call…I have a phone call – “

“I got it.” She chuckled and closed the bedroom door to offer me some privacy. 

While answering, I tried to act like I hadn’t been waiting for it. “Jiwon? Are you all right? How are you feeling? Does anything hurt?”

“I’m fine.” He answered softly, a huge contrast to my own tone.

“That’s good. I’m glad you called – “

“Seon, get ready soon! We have to get to the shop!”

Hearing Aunt Dara, I quickly ended our brief conversation. “Jiwon, I have to go. Rest up today.” Leaving him no chance to say anything, I ended the call and jumped out of bed to get dressed. Noticeably, it had put me into a brighter mood. 

***

“Today, we’re getting some deliveries.” Aunt Dara shared while she unlocked the entrance to Cosmos. “So, there’s a bit of work today…following days, I should say.”

“I’m ready.” I stated with a smile and followed in after her. “This is nothing. I’m used to the tasks – “

She eyed me suspiciously. “I know what you’re doing. You can’t work here full time out of school.”

“It was worth a try.” 

Turning on the lights in the shop, we got started on the opening checklist. Most of which consisted with preparing the flowers and making sure they all had water. 

The morning always brought in many customers and with a lot of work, the day always predictably moved quickly. There was no time to breathe let alone think. But, Jiwon always managed to get past that barrier. 

Last night was the first time I had seen a side to Jiwon that didn’t seem to exist. A side that was so far from the character that he kept up every time we made contact – the unexpected vulnerability. And this interruption in his normal facade has done nothing but encourage my wondering. What has made Jiwon appear so broken? So defeated?

Looking outside the glass, my sights fell on the truck coming to a stop at the curb in front of the shop.

“Aunt Dara, the deliveries are here.” I called out and joined her to go meet them.

After dropping off the boxes and boxes of baskets, sleeves, and trinkets, Aunt Dara and I were left to organize. 

“Everything has to be moved into the backroom.” She sighs while taking in the sight.”

Moving forward, we got started on the challenge but that was until the ringing bell captured our attention. 

And

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter