Chapter 43: Trust in Others

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I’m heading home.” 

Fixing the phone between my shoulder and ear, I worked to get my folded apron neatly into my bag. Jiwon had initially wanted to meet up with me after my night shift at the restaurant ended but it seems he had been tied up.

“Training hasn’t ended yet.” 

“Not yet?” Shock filled my voice. It was already close to 11 PM.

“Yeah, I’m sorry.” 

Hearing the sincerity in his voice was enough for me. “Jiwon, just focus on your training.”

“Seon – “

“It’s really okay, I’ll text you when I’m home.” 

Saying our goodbye’s, I ended the call and slipped the phone back into my bag. Knowing Jiwon’s personality, he would end up coming by the apartment tonight…no matter how tired he was. It would be a whole lot better if he would worry about me less. He already had so much on his plate. 

I smiled at the thought.

Soon, he’ll finally get to see what all this training could do. 

***

I opened the front door lightly so as not to wake Aunt Dara up. The face I’ve longed to see greeted me.

“Sorry, I’m late.” Jiwon whispered quietly.

Motioning him inside, I gave him room so he could take his shoes off. Carefully taking our next steps, we made it to the couch. As soon as Jiwon could relax, a deep sigh slipped from his lips.

“You were stuck late again.” It’s been like this the whole week. Jiwon’s training has been intensive to say the least. 

“I know.” He answered with a faint smile upon his lips. His voice was dripping with exhaustion no matter how much he tried to hide it from me. 

“Maybe you should have gone home instead.” I reached out and combed my fingers through his hair.

“Stop trying to kick me out.” He leaned further into my touch.

“I’m not – “

He wrapped his arms around my waist and I fell backwards while he lied on top of me.  Setting his head comfortably upon my chest, he breathed out. I thought about struggling to sit back up but figure I would give in this time. 

“How has it been?”

“Training?” He questioned back in a mumble.

I hummed a response. “The next opponent must be some fighter to make Mr. Kim work you this hard.” My eyes dropped down and stared at the top of his head. “You’re looking after yourself, right? Would you like me to drop by and bring along some snacks?”

When I received no response, I tried to get a glimpse of his face.

“Jiwon?”

Again, no answer.

I sighed before a smile graced my lips. “Good night, Jiwon.”

***

Eyeing the stadium, I breathed in deeply. With Aunt Dara and Jinhwan beside me, the dreadful feelings were easier to deal with – and possibly, it wasn’t so severe this time around.

On the contrary, I was actually excited to see Jiwon. 

“Are you ready?” Aunt Dara asked.

“I think I am.” Not that I have much of an option. I sighed as we joined the crowd heading inside. Tonight was much more congested than usual. With each fight and with each victory, the anticipation rises. And tonight, it was through the roof.

“I’m glad our seats are reserved.” Jinhwan comments as soon as he saw the number of people attending.

I grabbed onto his arm and Aunt Dara’s hand. “Let’s try to get in without being separated first.” I chuckled. 

Once finding our seats, we watched it all begin. 

The loud chattering soon turned into cheering as the lights turned off and the large screen in the background lights up the venue to introduce the fighters for tonight.

I focused on Jiwon as he entered the cage – the tired lines on his face so obvious even when the adrenaline was pumping heavily through his veins. His training had been tough to say the least. But at now, he could show how hard he has worked thus far. 

In contrast, his opponent appeared poised – almost as if he could predict his own victory.

In that moment, I wanted nothing more than for Jiwon to show him he was wrong. With the sound of the bell resonating through the stadium, I had no room for other thoughts and I watched Jiwon’s next actions carefully. 

Taking turns, Jiwon and his opponent took practice little kicks at one another to gauge each other’s power and skills. Seeing an opening, his opponent takes the first big swing that messily misses Jiwon. 

I clasped my hands tightly on my lap. If only none of his opponent’s hits would land. And I knew that wouldn’t be possible.

Round after round followed after one another. The two exchanged blow after blow. The injuries on both Jiwon and his opponent grew and grew yet no one gave in. Both had such resilience that I was starting to think how long the figh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter