SEVEN

Clarity

                “Kyunggie!” Jongin shouted, making Kyungsoo turn and shut him up with his hand over his mouth. “Kyunghmmph—” Jongin frowned and peeled Kyungsoo’s hand off his mouth. “I’m just trying to protect you from the men leering at you, miss high and mighty.” He rolled his eyes playfully and stood beside her.

 

                “If you’re going to be loud, please leave.” Kyungsoo said without giving him a glance and looked around for good cloth. He looked at the merchant and asked for the yellow cloth politely. The seja was going to get married soon and the Choigak was chosen to perform for the guests… which meant everyone needed new clothes.

 

                Jongin stayed silent, but continued to drop side comments as Kyungsoo looked around for more things on the list. “Kyunghee, are you playing gayageum that day?” he asked, peering over Kyungsoo’s shoulder. He nodded. The corners of Jongin’s lips tugged playfully upwards. “When you guys separate to please the guests, come to me, the other civil servants are erted and old.”

 

                Kyungsoo scoffed. “Sounds a bit like you, Kim-ssi.” He said, struggling to carry all the material in his arms. Jongin scooped them up into his arms instead and flashed Kyungsoo a smile.

 

                “What do you mean? I’m not old or erted!” Jongin shouted defensively, continuing to walk beside the ‘girl’ in the lace mask.

 

                Kyungsoo broke his façade and smiled, making Jongin grin even wider. “You truly are becoming like a leech, sir.” He said, picking up a few more rolls of fabric before heading back to the Choigak.

 

                “A leech? Why are you comparing me to wrinkly things all of a sudden, that’s not very kind of you, Kyunghee.”

 

                “I don’t have to be kind to you, Jongin.” He said and grabbed the rolls of fabric in Jongin’s arms. “Thank you for carrying these back, and please go home tonight instead of catching a disease.” He bowed his head slightly and looked up to find Jongin staring at him.

 

                “You called me Jongin.”

 

                Kyungsoo blinked. “And?”

 

                “You always called me Sir or Kim-ssi.” Jongin smiled. “Thank you, Kyunghee.” He said, and nodded. “I will leave for home tonight, I have lots to do. Good bye.” Kyungsoo watched the nobleman ride his horse out of the Choigak and sighed. It was harder to ignore him the longer he got to know him.

 

&&

 

                Minji looked at Baekhyun, who was admiring the flowers. “You know the seja likes you, Baekhee-ssi, I can see it in his eyes.” She said quietly, making Baekhyun look up at her, startled. “I don’t think I’ll be a good Wangbi, I don’t have confidence or strength. You’ll be a better one, I know it.”

 

                Baekhyun held Minji’s hands gently. “Miss Minji, that kind of attitude is not allowed! If you weren’t fit to be the Wangbi, why would the seja have sent me to protect you?”

 

                “I don’t know, but I don’t think I’ll be able to become the Wangbi. I want you to become the Wangbi.” Minji said again. Baekhyun shuddered at the thought of cross-dressing every day of his life.

 

                Baekhyun shook his head. “I can’t be, Minji. You’re much more intelligent than I am, no need to worry too much about it.” He heard the servant girls calling for their names. “We must go for our next testing. Stay strong, Minji, we need you.” He said reassuringly, and walked towards the Daebi’s side of the Palace.

 

                “Welcome, lovely ladies, welcome. Make yourself comfortable.” Daebi said. Baekhyun looked to see that Sumin was already sitting down, comfortable in the middle. Baekhyun sat on the other side of Sumin and sent a reassuring smile at Minji before looking at Daebi. There was a rustle and the door opened again to find the princess standing there. “Princess Yura! What are you doing here? The laws only allow the Daebi and the seja’s parents to—”

 

                Princess Yura smiled confidently, walking into the room. “Didn’t you forget, Umma-mama and Abba-mama gave me permission to look after seja as my own son.” She said, holding up her two parents’ will with the King’s stamp. Daebi coughed, looking displeased. “Nice to meet you, future Wangbi candidates, congratulations on making this far!” she said, sitting beside Daebi.

 

                There was another rustle and Princess Haebin walked in also. “Sister Yura told me to accompany her in the judging panel today, I’m the second eldest sister of seja, Haebin.” The girls (and Baekhyun) bowed their head and watched Haebin sit on the other side of Daebi.

 

                The door opened again, making Daebi’s frown go deeper. “Seja! You know you’re not allowed in the judging panel!” she shouted, a bit loudly for a Daebi. She regained her composure and sighed. “It’s against the law—”

 

                Chanyeol grinned, holding up a scroll. “If the two King and Queen is absent at the throne, the seja may enter the judging panel and throw in his two cents!” he smiled awkwardly, rubbing his nape. “I knew it word by word but coming in here made me nervous, I forgot.” He sat beside Baekhyun, who was on the side of Yura.

 

                Princess Yura smiled widely, clapping her hands together. “Now we may begin.” Daebi grumbled silently and breathed in to keep her temper.

 

&&

 

Chanyeol was staring at Baekhyun speak during the entire time quite bluntly, not caring about the knowing smiles his sisters were sending his way. “I believe family line shouldn’t matter when it comes to choosing civil servants for the king, if they’re intelligent and talented… wouldn’t that be enough?” Baekhyun answered, switching his eyes back to his hands placed on his lap. Chanyeol wanted to grab his hand and reassure him and compliment on his perfect answer, but he couldn’t.

 

                Sumin said something about unfairness and injustice, but it slipped out of his ears. Minji spoke softly about the dilemmas dealing with the civil servant testing process and how they could fix it. “Seja, did you hear what she said? I think you should really implement it.” Yura said, looking at Chanyeol, who was staring at Baekhyun with a goofy grin. “Seja?”

 

                “Huh?” Chanyeol asked, finally peeling his eyes off Baekhyun. “Oh. Yes. Thank you for the new idea, Miss Shim.” He smiled at the shy, blushing girl. Daebi forced a smile on her face and fidgeted with her ring.

 

                Yura cleared . “Now we’ll choose who the Wangbi will be through a voting process. Thank you for your answers, ladies.” She said, and turned to Chanyeol. “I choose Baekhee.”

 

                Baekhyun’s eyes widened when he heard his name. Chanyeol’s smile widened, and quickly frowned when Baekhyun nudged him slightly with his foot. “I choose Minji.” Haebin said, smiling at the shy girl.

 

                Daebi pursed her lips. “I am in favor of Sumin being seja’s wife, look at her qualities.” She said, sending Sumin a reassuring look. “Well, I guess we are torn. Seja, please break the tie for us.” Daebi said slowly, eyeing the girls before landing her eyes on Chanyeol.

 

                Chanyeol blinked and an answer rolled off his tongue before he saw Baekhyun mouth ‘Minji’. “Baekhee.”

 

                Baekhyun’s eyes widened and looked at the princess who giggled, clapping to congratulate her. “Congratulations, Baekhee, you’ll be the new Wangbi of Joseon.” Yura said, then turned to the other two girls. “Thank you for being here today, you guys are amazing ladies. I would also like to talk to Miss Shim Minji afterwards, let’s have tea.” She said, getting up from her seat. Daebi frowned deeper, then looked at Sumin.

 

                “We’ll have a talk as well, my dear. Welcome to the Palace, Baekhee.” Daebi said, gritting her teeth.

 

                “And Baekhee, I… uh… we should talk.” Chanyeol said, helping Baekhyun up to his feet and pulling him out. Baekhyun bowed his head politely to the ladies before getting out of the room, out of their ears. “Baekhee, I’m sorry, I just… It just spilled out of my mouth.” He apologized quietly, avoiding Baekhyun’s angry glare.

 

                Baekhyun sighed and shook his head. “Do you understand what you just did? Seja!” he reprimanded in a whisper when the young seja quickly pulled Baekhyun into a hug. The servants around him turned their head, pretending not to see the romantic scene. “Seja! Get off me!” But his shouts were muffled into Chanyeol’s shirt.

 

                “Ah, Baekhee, isn’t it a beautiful day?”

 

                “Chanyeol, don’t Baekhee me!” Baekhyun tried to pull away from Chanyeol, but the seja only pulled him closer.

 

                “A beautiful day to spend with me, huh?” Chanyeol grinned, whispering into Baekhyun’s ear. He smiled when he saw Baekhyun’s ears flush to a pink color and stopped flailing in Chanyeol’s arms.

 

                “Whoa there, please celebrate somewhere else, lovebirds!” Yura shouted, whistling. She chuckled before walking past the two. Minji was by her side, talking about her plan to fix things of the Palace.

 

Haebin grinned at the two, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. “Don’t worry, we’ll leave you two alone. Chanyeol, take her to your garden, I’m sure she’ll enjoy her stay there.” She said, walking off with Yura.

 

Baekhyun turned redder, and pulled away from Chanyeol’s grasp when he got the chance. “I can’t believe you...!” he huffed, turning away to follow the princesses. Her servants walked behind her, but turned around (again) when Chanyeol hugged him from behind. “Chanyeol, let go.”

 

“I’m so sorry, let me fix this.” Chanyeol mumbled against Baekhyun’s ear.

 

Baekhyun frowned. “I don’t think you can, it’s too late!” he looked at Chanyeol by turning around to face him. “We’ll talk about this later. First, we gotta get out of the Daebi-mama’s section, okay?” he sighed and smiled at the apologetic seja.

 

Chanyeol nuzzled his nose against the petite man, and grabbed his hand. “Let’s go to the garden, hm?” he smiled.

 

&&

 

                Kyungsoo stared at Jongin in his practice room. “What are you doing here?” he asked harshly, making Jongin clutch his heart, acting like he was in pain.

 

                “What kind of question is that? That hurts me, you know.” Jongin said, sitting beside Kyungsoo’s gayageum. “I just came around to tell you that the seja is finally getting married, and so I won’t be here for a while. Don’t miss me too much, I’ll see you at the celebration three days from now.” He grinned, playing a string on the gayageum. “How do you even play this? This hurts my fingers.”

 

                Kyungsoo sat down across from him and took the gayageum on his lap. “It takes lots and lots of practice, Jongin.” Jongin watched him play a song on the gayageum with ease, and smiled at him in awe. “Now go back, people are probably looking for you.” He said, looking up at him while plucking the strings. “I have to practice anyway.”

 

                Jongin took Kyungsoo’s hands and examined them carefully. “Your fingers are so rough and calloused.”

 

                “You must sacrifice something to play gayageum, nothing is free in this world, Jongin.” Kyungsoo said, pulling his hand back. Jongin took it back and placed gentle kisses on his fingertips. “W-What are you doing?” Kyungsoo asked, turning into a bright tomato.

 

                “Awarding the sacrifices you made for this instrument.” Jongin said as-a-matter-of-factly, not bothering to stop his kissing. Kyungsoo tried to pull away, but Jongin prevented him from doing so. “You should really rest once in a while.”

 

                “I do, when you’re not here. Now go, Jongin. Really.” Kyungsoo said, a bit softer this time. “I’ll see you at the celebration. Do your absolute best at your work, you cannot be dilly dallying when you have work to do.” He chuckled, slowly pulling his hands back.

 

                Jongin sighed. “Only because you want me to work hard, okay?” he smiled and got up. “See you at the Palace, my dear.” Kyungsoo waved goodbye and returned to his practicing.

 

                Sooyoung came into the room with a smile. “So, I finally finished making your dress! Try it on and see if it fits, let me fix it if it doesn’t.” she said, and looked at Kyungsoo. “Hey, is something wrong?”

 

                Kyungsoo shook his head. “No, it’s just that… it feels wrong lying to Jongin. He clearly loves Kyunghee so much, I can’t imagine how he’ll react when he finds out.” Sooyoung placed a hand on his shoulder. “I don’t want to hurt him.”

               

                Sooyoung shook her head. “It’ll be fine. You can’t tell him until the time comes.” She said, and handed him the dress. “I made it so your not-so-feminine features will be covered with decorations. And another mask for you, specially made it so it’s not completely sheer. It’s the Palace we’re going to, it’s dangerous.”

 

                Kyungsoo nodded and thanked her before Sooyoung left the room. He sighed, not able to imagine how to place the revenge. Who was killing the King’s offspring? Was the seja the enemy? Who was it? He couldn’t figure out which side to take. “Kyunghee, mom, guide me to the right path.” He prayed quietly.

 

&&

 

                Jongdae squealed with delight when he saw Baekhyun sitting across from Chanyeol. “Miss Baekhee!” he shouted, quickly greeting the boy with a huge smile. “I’m so relieved!”

 

                “Well I’m not.” Baekhyun said, and looked at Chanyeol. “This idiot seja chose me as his Wangbi, what an idiot.” He groaned, covering his face with his hands. Chanyeol pouted, holding Baekhyun’s hands.

 

                “I’ve been telling her it’s going to be okay the entire time but she won’t listen to me, Jongdae. Reassure her for me, will you?” Chanyeol pleaded, making Jongdae nod his head.

 

                “You know, this might actually be for the better.” Jongdae said, looking at Baekhyun, who slowly looked up at him. “This might be fate.”

 

                Baekhyun laughed, then covered his face in his hands again. “You’ve been reading too many romance novels, Eunuch Jongdae!” he frowned, dragging his skin with his hands. “Park Chanyeol, I will kill you.”

 

                Chanyeol winked. “You mean marry.”

 

                Baekhyun whacked the boy on the head before turning to Jongdae. “So what’s happening tonight?”

 

                “Well, you’ll be staying at a special place made for the Wangbi. I chose the maids and servants specially, so it won’t be much trouble. They’ll keep your secret.” Jongdae said, and looked at Chanyeol. “But seja, you can choose whatever you want to do with her for the time being. She just needs to sleep in her room before curfew.” He said.

 

                “Great, I’m spending the entire day with Baekhee!” Chanyeol shouted, loud enough for the servants outside to hear. Baekhyun whacked the seja’s head again, but Chanyeol gripped his hand with his own strong ones. “Stop hurting me, Baekhee.” He pouted, making Baekhyun chuckle softly.

 

                Baekhyun sighed. “But you really need to take in Minji as your second wife, to be completely safe. Go quickly, plead to your sisters and Daebi.” He said, watching Chanyeol intertwine his fingers with his.

 

                “Don’t worry about it, Baekhee, I will.” He smiled and squeezed his hand tightly. There was a loud rustling sound and a servant outside shouted Jongin’s arrival. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol in surprise and the door.

 

                “W-What are we gonna do?” Baekhyun mouthed, and Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun with a blank stare. “Kim Jongin is going to recognize me!”

 

                Chanyeol blinked. “Might as well tell him now, he’s bound to see you sooner or later anyway.”

 

                Baekhyun palmed his face. “Park Chanyeol, you’re the dumbest seja in the world.”

 

                “SEJA! OPEN YOUR DOORS! I, KIM JONGIN, IS HERE AT LAST!” Jongin shouted from behind the doors. “I ALSO KNOW THAT YOUR FUTURE WIFE IS IN THERE, SO LET ME SEE THE BEAUTY!”

 

                Chanyeol grinned at Baekhyun before telling Jongin to come in. Baekhyun tried to hide his face with the hand Chanyeol wasn’t holding. “Finally, you guys took forever.” Jongin said, peeked at the lady sitting across from Chanyeol. “Oh, was I interrupting a moment? I’m so sorry, future wangbi-mama, I’m Kim Jongin, seja’s cousin and best friend.” He said, and bowed his head. Baekhyun, still having his face covered with his hand, nodded his head.

 

                Chanyeol burst into laughter at Baekhyun’s uneasiness until Baekhyun stomped on his foot. “Ow! Baekhee, just let yourself be shown, he’s not going to eat you.” Jongin nodded, and smiled when Baekhyun started lowering his face. Baekhyun sighed and turned his head slowly to face Jongin.

 

                “Wow she really looks like Baekhyun, no wonder you chose her—wait. Baekhyun?” Jongin shouted, making Baekhyun attack his mouth with his hands.

 

                “SHHHHH!” Baekhyun glared at the confused boy, keeping his hands over his mouth. “Don’t speak. I’m sorry we didn’t let you in on the plan but I didn’t think I’d be the future wangbi— Park Chanyeol messed up.” He sighed.

 

                Chanyeol picked Baekhyun up into his arms. “Hey, you’re in such an intimate positon with my cousin, I don’t like that, wifey.” He smiled and nuzzled his nose against Baekhyun’s cheek. Baekhyun smacked Chanyeol face away.

 

                “I’m still mad at you, Park Chanyeol.” Baekhyun huffed, sitting back onto the chair. Jongin got up from the floor confused, and pointed at Baekhyun, then Chanyeol.

 

                “I’m not mad that you didn’t let me in on the plan but… Chanyeol you really are a . You know how risky it’s going to be for Baekhyun—I mean Baekhee?” Jongin said quietly, and flicked Chanyeol’s forehead.

 

                Chanyeol frowned and rubbed his forehead. “I’m sorry, they told me to choose one of the girls as a tiebreaker and I accidently said Baekhee’s name… I was too occupied with my thoughts, I didn’t mean to.” He sighed, sulking.

 

                Jongin walked towards Baekhyun and lifted his chin with his pointer finger. “Mm, Baekhee, you really do look pretty with all the makeup on. Not saying you didn’t look pretty feminine before, but the features are now defined… If I wasn’t your best friend, I wouldn’t have known.” He grinned, looking at Chanyeol. “I guess your dreams came true, Baekhee will never leave your side now.”

 

                Chanyeol smiled widely and nodded, ignoring the scowl Baekhyun sent his way. “Don’t worry, Baekhee, I sent Jongdae to ask Minji to be my second wife. Stop looking at me like that.” He said, avoiding Baekhyun’s glare.

 

                Jongin smiled. “Well the gang’s back together, and in three days Kyunghee will play gayageum at the Palace! Aren’t you excited? Chanyeol, you’ll finally hear her heavenly music.” He said, swooning at the thought of Kyunghee.

 

                Chanyeol and Baekhyun rolled their eyes at the lovestruck Jongin. “Are you having dinner with us?” Baekhyun asked, and Jongin shook his head.

 

                “No, I have to finish my paperwork before your marriage ceremony. Good luck, and Chanyeol, you better make Baekhee happy.” He said, nudging the seja playfully. “I just wanted to take a quick visit, don’t mind me. See you guys later, alright?” Jongin waved at the two before leaving.

 

                Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun. “Baekhee, are you still mad?”

 

                “Yes. But I’ll learn to it up sooner or later.” Baekhyun smiled, and gripped his best friend’s hand tightly. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol in surprise when he leaned forward towards him, across the table. “W—What are you doing?”

 

                Chanyeol smiled and brushed his fingers across his face. “Sorry, there was something on your face.” He said, and sat back down in his original spot. Baekhyun breathed out, relieved. Jongdae came back inside to tell them of the news that he got permission to receive Minji as Chanyeol’s second wife. “Everything is going to be okay.”