FOURTEEN

Clarity

“The preparation for the rain ceremony will be done by Princess Yura, and it will be done as soon as possible. All nobles must attend, as usual.” Chanyeol cleared his throat and continued sifting through the scrolls on his desk.

 

“But mama, by tradition, Daebi mama is in charge of that.” Jaejoong bowed his head slightly. “I hope you can respect the traditions.”

 

The entire room rang out with their voices. “Respect the traditions, mama.”

 

Siwon glanced at Jaejoong, then the King. “Mama, it won’t be a bad idea if the two could collaborate together. This way, you’ll implement both the tradition and the new change.”

 

Chanyeol nodded. “Okay then, noble Choi, we’ll do as you say. Get this news to Daebi mama and Princess Yura please, thank you. That’ll be all.”

 

Jaejoong scowled as Chanyeol left the room with Jongdae. “What’s the point of having traditions if people are going to break them?” he complained loudly, and stormed out of the palace. Siwon rolled his eyes and bowed his head to Chanyeol.

 

“Please go to Princess Yura, and thank you, noble Choi.” Chanyeol smiled at Siwon in gratitude as he left with Jongdae. Siwon sighed and headed towards Princess Yura’s home in the palace.

 

Mama, you cannot let your guard down. This rain ceremony smells a little fishy to me, you musn’t let Daebi mama plan everything out or plan anything without you” Siwon said over a cup of tea.

 

Princess Yura’s eyes twinkled. “Don’t worry, I’ll cling onto her like a leech.”

 

&&

 

It had been five days since Jongin had last saw Kyungsoo. He had moved the meetings with his father and a group of other nobles to a different restaurant across the street just so he wouldn’t be able to see him again. “The entire royal family will be out, they’ll be easy targets for all. Chanyeol doesn’t really keep in touch with his guards other than Sehun, so that’ll be easy to manipulate.” Jongin said, tracing his finger on the map of the palace yard. “Unfortunately, Princess Yura had made sure the palace was closed during the rain ceremony this time, and didn’t hire any dancers. We’ll just have to use the element of surprise while Chanyeol is praying for the rain.”

 

“Brilliant. Guards will standby on the roof, and scattered around the place. If the guards do get to the king in time, they might actually be able to kill him on the spot. Perfect.” Jaejoong said, and clapped. “Good work everyone, the rain ceremony will be three days from now. Keep your heads up and focus.”

 

Minseok cleared his throat when the meeting was over and they were heading home. “What is it?” Jongin turned around.

 

“I heard that Kyunghee was very ill in the Choigak, I thought you would want to know. Apparently she has a very high and stubborn temperature that would not go down, and—”

 

“Minseok. I never asked for this information. Stop cluttering my head with her, I have better things to worry about.”

 

“I wasn’t finished with my story. I heard that she hasn’t been able to get up at all and faints quite often. But every single time she wakes up, she looks for you. Whatever Kyunghee did, sir, could you forgive her? I know I’m stepping the line but—”

 

“If you know that you’re stepping the line, then stop talking. I don’t need to know about Kyunghee.” Jongin scoffed. Minseok sighed and gave him a look of disbelief.

 

“Then why are we heading to the Choigak, sir?” Minseok asked with his hand rested on one hip. “I think you should forgive each other for whatever you did.”

 

Jongin sighed and turned around. “Minseok, I’m only going to the Choigak to… speak with someone. Someone else.” He continued walking toward the Choigak, mumbling to himself. These days, it felt like Jongin had to convince himself that he didn’t want to see Kyungsoo.

 

“As your hyung in life, could I give you an advice? All social classes aside for a minute?” Minseok stood in front of Jongin and placed his hand on his shoulder. “From what I see, you still love her. If you can’t forgive her, the least you can do is talk to her. It seemed like all you did was listen the last time she came. Now tell her your side of the story. It’s your turn to step up, Jongin. Don’t dawdle and lose your timing.” Jongin lowered his eyes as Minseok spoke, remembering how he ran out of his house barefooted just to catch up with Kyungsoo.

 

The ground below him changed color as his tears soaked into it. “Hyung, when she finds out what I’m doing, she’s going to hate me forever. Even I hate myself.” Jongin looked up at Minseok, tears streaming down his face.

 

“Then maybe it’s time for you to change and follow your instincts. Do what you think is right, Jongin. Don’t get pushed around. You’re a smart, young gentleman who can make decisions for yourself, right?” Minseok chuckled and handed Jongin a handkerchief.

 

“You forgot handsome in there.” Jongin blew his nose into Minseok’s handkerchief, making him wince. “Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” Minseok laughed, patting Jongin’s back gently. “Now let’s take you to the Choi—”

 

Jongin shook his head. “I have to redeem myself first, I can’t face her until I’m forgiven by God. I don’t deserve her.”

 

Minseok sighed. “Okay, Jongin. Whenever you feel ready.”

 

&&

 

“Ah, I wish time would stop.” Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun from Baekhyun’s lap. “You’re just so pretty to look at.” He smiled, reaching his arm up to pull Baekhyun down for a kiss.

 

“You need to stop that or I’ll punch your nose. We were talking about the ceremony, you can’t keep butting in like this. Sehun says he’s been hearing some news about bringing in new guards to protect everyone. I should be screening them all before they enter the palace, but I’m not a bodyguard anymore; you should screen them.” Baekhyun peeled a tangerine and popped a piece into his mouth.

 

“Sehun can screen them, I have a big water project that I’m working on for the peasants. I’m planning to build a well in the countryside, I heard that they don’t have enough water and the officer I sent over there isn’t doing any work to help them out in the drought.” Chanyeol opened his mouth for a tangerine, only to be smacked on the lips with Baekhyun’s hand.

 

Baekhyun fiddled with Chanyeol’s hair and sighed. “The ceremony is in two days, and there are so many things that can go wrong. I’m a little nervous, Yeol. I have a feeling. A bad feeling.”

 

Chanyeol sat upright and held Baekhyun’s hand tightly. “You’ll be safe, I’ll protect you. You’ve been protecting me for more than half my life, now it’s my turn.”

 

“You say that way too often, Yeol. I’m not falling for that anymore, especially when I’m doing all the worrying and researching for information.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“C’mon, trust me this time. I’ll protect you for sure.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Baekhyun shook Chanyeol’s hand off of his and continued eating his tangerine. “I haven’t heard from Kyunghee in a while, I wonder what’s wrong. I’m a little worried. Maybe we should send a message to the Choigak?”

 

&&

 

The sound of heavy breathing filled the air around them, footsteps growing louder. Kyungsoo was running, for a reason he did not know, with one thing in mind. To stop someone. He didn’t know who he was trying to stop, but whatever it was, it was urgent.

 

There was a scream that sounded a lot like his and a sound of a pair of scissors snipping a string echoed in his ears and Kyungsoo sunk into the ground like quicksand.

 

“Kyunghee-yah!” When Kyungsoo opened his eyes, Sooyoung was shaking him awake. Sulli had brought a small folding table with a bowl of water and a washcloth. “Thank god you’re awake, you were choking yourself in your sleep, honey.”

 

Sulli’s hand shook as she drenched the washcloth in the water. “If Sulli didn’t find you and call for me, you would have killed yourself. You were pale and burning up with a fever. This medicine better work soon or else I’ll complain and ask for a refund!” Sooyoung shouted in anger as Sulli placed the wet cloth on Kyungsoo’s forehead.

 

Kyungsoo looked around him and found an outline of his body in sweat on the blanket he was on. He placed his hand on Sulli’s small ones and smiles apologetically. “Sulli-yah, I’m sorry I scared you. And thank you, for saving my life.”

 

Sulli smiled a little forcefully and looked down at Kyungsoo’s hand. “Unnie, your neck is red, I’ll go get you a cloth for your neck too, hopefully it will decrease the swelling.” Her entire body was shaking as she got up and out of the room.

 

“Forgive her, she’s still young and she is in shock from seeing you choke yourself.” Sooyoung tilted Kyungsoo’s chin up slightly. “You must be strong, even in your sleep, the marks are pretty dark.” She mumbled as she studied Kyungoo’s neck. “Talk to me, honey. What’s bothering you? What’s happening? Talk to me or I’m going to go crazy because I think you’re self-harming because of me. I shouldn’t have put you through this. I should not have agreed with the King to use you for help if it’s stressing you out this much.”

 

“Madam Choi, it’s really alright. I think I just had a bad dream. Someone was dying, I felt it. I just didn’t know it was going to be me.” Kyungsoo chuckled softly. “Imagine, me being killed. By myself. A suicide. I must really be going crazy.”

 

Sooyoung gripped onto Kyungsoo’s hand. “You’re going to sleep with me in the room tonight. I’ll stay awake to stop you from reacting to your dreams. Okay? Now close your eyes and get some rest, we’ll take care of you.”

 

But Sooyoung was wrong. As days passed, Kyungsoo started having more vivid dreams. Dreams where he was getting an arrow to his heart and a sound of a scream that sounded familiar. Kyungsoo swore it was his voice, but if he was dying and falling to the ground silently, why would his voice be screaming again? Sooyoung decided that it would be best if Kyungsoo spent time outside on walks within the Choigak parameters with Sulli, since his fever lowered.

 

“Maybe we’ll finally get rain today, unnie.” Sulli smiled as she walked through the Choigak garden with Kyungsoo beside her. Kyungsoo tilted his head in confusion. “Today is the rain ceremony. I wish we could have been invited to dance, but this year they’re not hiring dancers. Bummer.”

 

Kyungsoo looked up at the sky. “Jongin… Jongin. He’s in danger. And so is Chanyeol-mama, and Baekhee—Sulli, I got to get to the palace. Get Dol to get me a horse. Tell Sooyoung that I went to sleep and I said I don’t want anyone to bother me.” Sulli nodded slowly and watched Kyungsoo run into his room.

 

Kyungsoo put on his makeup and his lace mask. He looked in the mirror. This was his last chance to reveal his love for Jongin, and if it didn’t work, at least it would protect the King. He tightened his braids and tied them before heading out to the horse in the front. Sulli looked at him worriedly. “Sulli, I’ll be back before tomorrow. Don’t be worried too much about me.” Sulli watched Kyungsoo leave toward the palace, fiddling with her fingers nervously.

 

&&

 

Baekhyun sighed and placed Chanyeol’s gat on top of his head. “Promise me that you’ll be safe and this will end well.” He puffed his cheeks slightly and frowned.

 

“I thought I made it clear that you shouldn’t worry about me yesterday when we were making love.” Chanyeol leaned down and pressed a kiss on Baekhyun’s neck. “I promise I won’t die until we get really old and pruney. I’ll make sure my concubines make a lot of children for us, who will then make us grandchildren.”

 

Baekhyun made a face. “I don’t want to imagine you doing it with anyone else other than me.”

 

“I have to make heirs to the throne, you know? Anyway, what happened to the ‘we won’t have until everything is figured out’?” Chanyeol wiggled his eyebrows.

 

“I just… had a bad feeling about today. You only live once, you know, Chanyeol. I wanted to express my love for  you before—”

 

“If we come back from the rain ceremony safe, in one piece, you owe me .” Chanyeol grumbled. “I told you to trust me and you’re already treating me like a dead man.”

 

Baekhyun sighed and looked down at his hands. “I’m sorry, Chanyeol, I’m just scared. I don’t want to lose you.”

 

Chanyeol pulled his husband into a hug. “I know, I know.” He pressed a gentle kiss on his temple. “I’ll try my best to stay alive. Yura-noona tried her best to lower the possibilities of me getting hurt. We screened the new guards and everything. I’ll be fine.”

 

“Okay. You head out, I’ll finish dressing up with Sunyoung and I’ll follow you.” Baekhyun tiptoed and pressed a chaste kiss on Chanyeol’s lips.

 

“Alright. Here we go.” Chanyeol let out a shaky breath before opening the door to find Jongdae waiting for him. “Let’s go.”

--

Hey guys, sorry for the late update!
I had a terrible case of writer's block again, and I was extremely busy.
The story is finally coming to an end because I finally found my notebook where I planned the ending and backstory--
anyway. I hope you guys like ths completely un-betaed chapter written about 50 minutes ago.
Thanks for all the support as always, and never feel shy to leave a comment, they really drive me to continue writing and motivate me to finish this damn story.
love you guys a whole lot and hope you guys will like the chapter! ( and the rest of the story, really)