ONE

Clarity

                “Prince Chanyeol! You must not run around like that, you are a Prince! Surely you have learned that in class!” Eunuch Kim shouted as he ran after the boy.

                “Jongdae, you should know that I don’t follow the rules by now.” Chanyeol rolled his eyes and ran towards the bridge of the lake. “Umma-mama!” he shouted and ran into his mother’s warm embrace. She returned the smile and rubbed her son’s back. Her only son. “It’s Baekhyun’s birthday soon, mother, we should do a surprise party for him!”
(a/n: umma is mom, -mama is kinda like “your majesty” so umma-mama is honorifics for the prince to his mother)

                Baekhyun flinched at the sound of his name and lifted his head. “No, mama, you don’t have to. Seja is just joking around.” He shot a glare at Chanyeol. The Queen just chuckled at the two.
(a/n: seja is prince who will end up taking the throne for sure)

                “We’ll make sure you guys get a nice birthday supper, hmm?” Queen said and patted Jongdae’s shoulder. “Sorry about my son.” She chuckled and Jongdae bowed his head.

                “It’s an honor to serve the future King, mama.” Jongdae smiled, making Chanyeol scoff and roll his eyes. “We must get going for seja to get his studies, your majesty.” The Queen nodded, making Jongdae and Baekhyun drag Chanyeol to his studies. When they finally got to his library, there was a knock.

                “Your majesty, the Duke is here.” Jongdae said from behind the doors. Chanyeol smiled and nodded at Baekhyun, who opened the door.

                Chanyeol scratched his head and leaned forward against his desk. “What are you doing at this side of the Palace, Jongin?” he blinked at his childhood friend and cousin, Jongin.

                “I’m here to say hello to my two best friends, of course. What else?” Jongin smiled, making Chanyeol grin wider. “I heard that you were skipping class so I decided to accompany thou, your majesty.” Jongin mocked the servants, making Chanyeol laugh.

                Jongin slung an arm around Baekhyun’s neck, making Chanyeol blink uncomfortably. “It’s just us three in here, let’s have fun, hm?” he smiled, and placed his finger on his lips.

                Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Fun? I’m sure this will be ‘fun’ in your own standards again, Jongin.” He said, and turned to look at his peer. “Last time we ended up getting in trouble by Jongdae. I don’t want that to happen again, he’s kind of scary.”

                Jongin made a sound like a deflated balloon. “Oh please, what can that Eunuch do to the seja? If he did anything against you, it would hurt him, not Prince.”

                Chanyeol nodded. “If anything happens to Baekhyun, I’ll make sure they’ll pay the price. It’s been a bit stuffy in the halls nowadays, let’s go out and have fun, Baek.” He smiled at the boy reassuringly as he grabbed his best friend’s hands with his usual puppy eyes.

                Jongin chuckled. “See, the seja is asking you to come. Please? I’m sure you won’t regret it one bit.” As soon as Baekhyun gave him the approval, Jongin shot out of the room and looked around. “I only see a few maids around here, I’m sure they won’t say anything if I ask them to.”

                Baekhyun blinked. “Oh, since when were you so friendly with the palace maids?” he raised a brow, making Jongin smirk. “Just kidding, I’m not really sure if I want to know.” Chanyeol laughed at his friend’s reactions. “Chanyeol, do something, don’t you know an exit? The exit from last time is now blocked by guards…”

                “I’m stuck with Jongdae all day, how the hell am I supposed to find where these little exits are?” Chanyeol frowned as he watched Jongin look around the room. “Jongin, what are you doing?”

                Jongin smiled. “Our exit out of this room is found.” He pointed to a small dog door. “Chanyeol, why do you have this in your room anyway? I’m sure it’s not part of the décor. You don’t even have a dog.”

                Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Apparently when my father used to be seja he had a dog as a pet. I inherited his room so I’m sure I inherited the dog door, Jongin.” He heard the two chuckle.

                “Well, it’s a good way to run away from, now that we see it as an exit.” Baekhyun smiled, Chanyeol caught the twinkle in the brunette’s eyes as he turned to Jongin. “Are you sure we can all fit?”

                “I don’t know about Chanyeol since he’s bigger than the both of us, but I’m sure we can slither out of this place.” Jongin looked at Chanyeol. “Tell the maids you don’t want to be bothered since we’re discussing important private matters.”

 

&&

 

                Kyungsoo swung his coin pocket around in smiles. It was finally the weekend, which meant he could go home from the Sungkyunkwan University. He was a freshman with great talent and was known by many around the neighborhood, because he was only sixteen years old. “Kyunghee!” he shouted when he arrived at his home.

                Kyunghee stepped out of her room and greeted her twin brother, Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo?” she smiled, and brought him into the house. “Come in, come in. It’s been a while!” she hugged her brother and saw him search for their mother.

                 “Where’s mother?” His mother worked at an inn with her sister and Kyunghee did all of the house chores.

                “She is out for the rest of the day for the inn, you know how there’s a ceremony in a few days. The inn is already filled with people. But don’t worry, mother left us some lunch and dinner.” Kyunghee chuckled at Kyungsoo’s rumbling stomach. “Kyungsoo, are you hungry, because I can start cooking.” She smiled, and Kyungsoo shook his head. “How’s school?” she asked, tilting her head slightly.

                Kyungsoo looked at her like he was looking at a mirror, studying her facial features. It was unfair how they looked exactly the same but one had a terminal disease. “It’s a whole new world that we’re learning about. I wish you could be there with me.” He sighed, for his sister was more intelligent than he was. Kyungsoo attended the university for the money the school gave every weekend when they were released from the dorms. The Do’s weren’t the richest family in the neighborhood.

                Kyunghee dusted off nonexistent dust off of her brother’s shoulders. “Well, brother, we can go to the river together, huh? I have clothes to launder, and I didn’t want to go alone.” Kyungsoo nodded with an enthusiastic smile and soon they were both headed to the river, Kyungsoo holding the laundry and Kyunghee venturing out. She wasn’t allowed out of the house often. She had a disease that makes her run out of energy quicker than the average person. Soon, the disease will make her run out of enough energy for her to die. She didn’t have much time left, and she didn’t bother going out and making friends when she was going to part with them anyway. On the other hand, Kyungsoo was healthy and would get married to a wonderful woman when his age would come swinging by. They didn’t worry too much about that for they were only sixteen, but…

                “Let me get some laundry and I’ll wash it for you too.” Kyungsoo smiled and walked down the path of the river. “If you need any help, I’ll be down there!”

                Kyunghee nodded and bent down to start washing her clothes when some flowers on branches caught her eye. “Wow, this is beautiful.” She felt a pink petal fall on her nose, and giggled softly at the sudden motion. Busy with her silliness and the flower, she didn’t realize someone was observing her carefully in awe. There were things as small as these that Kyunghee wanted to do before her disease took her away from the world Kyungsoo would live in for more years to come. These small things—

                “Jongin! What are you doing? Are you giving up on the race already?” A voice shouted, and a sound of denial and horse hooves made Kyunghee turn back to reality. She quickly brushed the petal off her face. She was being silly again and thinking too much, and when she thought too much, her judgment skills would plummet. Kyunghee kneeled on the side of the river and pulled her skirt up a bit to not get it wet. Before she died, she wanted to feel how it would be like to fall in love. Those small actions and memories, she wanted to fill them before her year was gone. She continued her laundry at the sound of Kyungsoo’s voice and sighed.

 

&&

 

                Baekhyun smiled in triumph as he got off his horse. “I win; you guys owe me a nice dinner and a birthday present!” Chanyeol rolled his eyes and Jongin looked like he was daydreaming. “Jongin, is everything okay? You look a bit… dazed.”

                Jongin blinked and looked up at Baekhyun. “Me? No way.” He smiled. “I’ll get you something nice for your birthday, don’t worry.” He nudged Chanyeol, who was in denial that Baekhyun beat him in a race. Baekhyun was Chanyeol’s bodyguard and he usually let Chanyeol win in the Palace for he was the Prince. Outside, he was just a plain old person. It was one of Baekhyun’s only times when he could win against Chanyeol. Jongin usually came second but after the river…

                “Me too.” Chanyeol grumbled. “I was so close.” He snapped, making Baekhyun chuckle.

                “In your dreams, seja.” Baekhyun smiled and patted his best friend’s back. “Guys, it’s getting dark, let’s get going. Chanyeol. Chanyeol?” He looked at Chanyeol walking towards an opening of a village. “Chanyeol,” he grabbed his hand. “You’re not supposed to go in there. That village is known for having an infectious disease going around. You don’t want to get infected.” Baekhyun remembered the sign on the village doors. Also, Jongdae had informed him about that so many times, just in case Chanyeol, Jongin, and he would run away for fresh air, like now. As the Queen’s one and only son, Chanyeol was precious. Chanyeol was the only way the family line would go on. Of course, they had more children. Chanyeol had five other older sisters, but none of them could receive the Crown. If Chanyeol died, there would be chaos and another family line would receive the Crown.

                Chanyeol blinked and peeked inside the village. Groaning and was heard as the plague was visible and was felt by Chanyeol’s naïve heart and soul. The impact of the disease was great, and there were dead bodies everywhere. With a gasp, he whipped around when he saw his father, the King, there on the scene with two of his trusted advisors. “G—Guys, my father is here. Let’s get going.” The three climbed on their horses before the King could catch them in action.

 

&&

 

                “Sister, are you ready to leave?” Kyungsoo asked and helped his sister get up from the ground. “It’s getting dark, we should really get back home.” Kyunghee smiled and nodded. She turned around and picked herself up from the ground, accidentally dipping her rosy pink hanbok in the water.

                Kyungsoo smiled as the two chattered on about his studies and their future dreams. That is, until they came across the sound of a high pitched voice. “Thief!” a woman shouted as a boy ran past them, making Kyunghee drop her basket of laundry. Kyungsoo looked at Kyunghee, who nodded, and ran after the boy. She brushed herself off and found a hand waiting for her to grab.

                “Thank you, but I’ll be fine.” Kyunghee said, eyes meeting with the owner of the hand. She quickly averted her eyes and tried to get up, and failed when she felt a jolt of pain in her upper arm.

                “Are you sure?” The boy smiled and scooped her up in his arms, placing her down on the ground. Kyunghee, obviously flustered, fixed her dress and bowed her head to thank the stranger. “People these days, so rude, huh?” he grinned and picked up Kyunghee’s basket. Kyunghee shrugged and turned to the direction of her house. “Hey, now, now. Don’t leave.” Jongin grabbed her hand. “I’ll keep you company until your brother comes back.” Kyunghee rolled her eyes. “It’s dangerous out here for a lady to be by herself. Especially a pretty one.” Jongin mumbled.

                “And what makes you safe?” Kyunghee wriggled out of his grasp and continued walking. If she did hear him right, he called her pretty. Feeling her cheeks turn pink, she looked down and tried to gather herself together. “I hope Kyungsoo comes home soon.” She mumbled. Footsteps sounded from behind her and a hand placed on her shoulder. “I told you not to—“The hand was replaced with a drunken old man instead of the polite boy.

                The man was staggering, holding the broken white bottle of makgeoli in his hand, as he ran after Kyunghee. She kept her pace as she felt herself growing more and more fatigued. Kyunghee looked around and found no one walking around, of course, her house had to be in the middle of nowhere. “I told you I would beat you if you ran away from home again! You need some beating!” the man slurred, following her every step.

                “I’m not your daughter!” She shouted in fear, but that only angered the man even more. Kyunghee found herself on the ground, not being able to breathe properly. Maybe this was her death, maybe she wouldn’t be able to do everything she wanted to do, maybe— The sound of the man falling on the ground was heard and Kyunghee quickly turned her head to the sound. Before she could see who had saved her life, she fainted.

                Jongin had tried to think of a cute pickup line when she was brushing off her dress, but by the time he thought of something, the girl was gone. He tried to find her, and with the shouts the drunk was making, it was easy. After making the drunk man fall and throwing away the broken bottle, he walked over to Kyunghee and felt her pulse. He cursed before placing her on his back and running to somewhere safe.

                “So you brought her here, of all places?” Sooyoung screeched, making Jongin flinch and rub his nape. “I know there’s nowhere to go but… a place like this is more dangerous for her than the forest.” Sooyoung rolled her eyes and sighed. “Fine, but you have to take care of the child, I’m busy.” She shooed the boy away into her room and quickly ran to the customers.

                Jongin sighed and placed a cold towel on her forehead. Hopefully she would wake up soon, he had to leave. This was the bad thing about pretty girls, they could never be good excuses to his parents. “Kyungsoo?” she mumbled, making Jongin look at her. “Oh, it’s just you.”

                Jongin laughed. “Just me? Just me! I saved your life and just me—“

                Kyunghee turned her head. “Where am I?”

                Jongin stopped himself. She was a patient and he was probably stressing her out. “My noona’s place, she said you could rest until you felt better.” He sighed. “What happened back there? Did you get hit?”

                Kyunghee shook her head. “I’m fine, I have the tendency to faint and—KYUNGSOO!” she shouted, and quickly got up. “He said he’ll be back… oh no, he’s probably worried.” She paced around the room. “Take me back!” she pleaded. Jongin stiffened when she grabbed his hands with her soft ones and looked at her with those beautiful wide eyes—he shook his thoughts away.

                “As soon as you feel better, I’ll you back home.” Jongin nodded, and watched the door swing open.

                “OPPA!” Sulli’s voice rang in the room, making Jongin bury his face in his hands. “Oh, and hello miss! Mommy told me to give this to you so your boo boo will go away!” she smiled and dragged the small table into the room. Kyunghee smiled at the young girl and thanked her for the food, and watched Jongin interact with Sulli. “Oppa, how come you don’t play with Sulli more often? Soon I’ll be six, and I’ll marry you!” Kyunghee chuckled into her hand and drank some water.

                Jongin blinked at Kyunghee’s heart-shaped smile, he felt his heart beat quicker and his face getting red. “Sulli, how is your writing going? I heard you could write your name now!” he smiled at Sulli, then stole glances at Kyunghee, who (thankfully) was eating up.

                During their introductions, Kyunghee found out that Sooyoung was a dear friend of her mother’s. “Thank you for everything, Madame Choi. I don’t know how to repay your kindness--” Kyunghee bowed her head, showing her politeness to her mother’s friend.

                “Oh, no, please. Call me Lady Choi. Madame Choi is my mother.” Sooyoung patted her head. “I would say visit more often, but as you can see, this place.” She pointed, and smiled. “Do tell your mother that I miss her very much.”

                Jongin waited for the two to finish, and helped Kyunghee up his horse. “Just tell me which direction to go after we pass the market.” He smiled as Kyunghee’s arms wrapped around his waist. Soon, they arrived and Kyunghee hopped off. Jongin cleared his throat. “Well. Bye, I guess.”

                Kyunghee fidgeted and bowed her head ever so slightly. “Thanks, Jongin. I want to show you gratitude but—” Jongin leaned in slowly towards the girl. Kyunghee clutched her dress to stop herself from slapping the boy from the sudden action.

                “Promise me to meet at the fabric market as soon as your brother’s studies are over.” Jongin whispered in her ear and smiled. He quickly rode off in his horse. Kyunghee stood there with a slight awe and ran inside the house.

                “DO KYUNGHEE, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? WE’VE BEEN SO WORRIED!” Kyunghee was welcomed with a bone crushing hug from her brother and her mother. Kyunghee slowly unraveled her stories of adventures, taking out the part where Jongin asked her out.

                Do Seunghye, their mother, smiled at Kyunghee warmly. “Give this to him tomorrow as a token of gratitude. I should visit Sooyoungie again; I thought she had forgotten about me.” She said, handing her a basket of rice cakes.

                Kyunghee blinked in curiosity. “How do you know Lady Choi, mom?” Mrs. Do never bothered to answer the question and quickly averted the topic to Kyungsoo’s studies. Kyunghee didn’t ask further about the subject, and quickly fell asleep, she needed the rest.

--

author's note !
well there's the first chapter, i hope you enjoyed it.
comments & subscriptions are always amazing : ) 
don't worry, there's so much drama for you guys, just wait a few more chapters ; u ;
im so excited for this and it's only the first chapter wtf i gotta calm down.
thanks so much for reading and xoxoxoxoxoxo