FOUR

Clarity

                Three Years Later…

 

                “Kim Jongin, you have been appointed to a higher rank! We must celebrate, cousin! This kind of day does not come by often!” Chanyeol shouted and waved his gat around the place with his hand, while his other arm slung around Jongin’s shoulders. Jongin chuckled and pushed his cousin away from him. “Am I the only one who enjoys partying? Everything’s well and you’ve become—” Baekhyun shut his best friend up.

 

                “Sorry, I guess your majesty learned everything but to know when to stop.” Baekhyun chuckled and glanced back at Chanyeol, who pouted. “Congratulations. We should really celebrate for you, Jongin.” He smiled, making Jongin nod.

 

                “Later, I guess. I should get going…” Jongin patted Baekhyun’s shoulder. “It’s already time.” Chanyeol and Baekhyun both watched the boy hurry out of the palace and get on his horse. Chanyeol turned and looked down at Baekhyun, who smiled at Jongin leave.

 

                Baekhyun closed his eyes with the smile still on his lips. “It’s already been three years since he’s been doing that, huh?” he whispered, and opened his eyes to face Chanyeol’s face inches away from his. “Whoa! You scared me, your majesty.” He chuckled and pushed him away slightly.

 

                Chanyeol laughed. “Didn’t catch what you said, I just wanted to hear you clearly.” He smiled and wrapped an arm around his number one body guard’s shoulders. “Let’s get going, huh? We have a lot of things to finish up.” Baekhyun nodded. “I still need your advice on a number of things too, Baek.” He said as he walked to his room.

 

                When they arrived, Jongdae stood there waiting for them—furious. “You were supposed to attend the council meeting today, do you know how awkward I felt to cancel it for you?” he glanced at Chanyeol’s arm wrapped around Baekhyun’s shoulders. “Please don’t tell me you two—“

 

                Baekhyun blinked. “Aniyo, we went to see Jongin’s promotion. We didn’t know it was to end that late, Eunuch Jongdae.” He bowed his head. “I apologize.” Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun and sighed.

 

                “You shouldn’t be apologizing. I should.” Chanyeol stopped Baekhyun from bowing his head and nodded. “I’m sorry, Jongdae. I should have told you beforehand. I didn’t know time would pass by so quickly. I just wanted to support my cousin, you know.”

 

                Jongdae huffed. “Fine, but this is not to happen next time, your majesty. Baekhyun, I must talk to you.”

 

                Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s wrist. “Uhm, if you need to talk to Baekhyun, you can do it right here.” He looked at Jongdae. Baekhyun looked at him with wide eyes. Chanyeol avoided eye contact with Baekhyun, who was mouthing him death threats, and looked at Jongdae. “Go on, speak.”

 

                Jongdae glared at Baekhyun and shook his head. “It’s nothing, sir. I’ll bring lunch for the two of you as usual.” He bowed his head and closed the door.

 

                Baekhyun stepped on Chanyeol’s foot, causing him to yelp. “Why did you do that?” they shouted at each other in unison. Baekhyun swept his bangs away in frustration. “Now Jongdae is going to hate me even more! Can’t you tell the amount of pressure I’m under—Jongdae is just worried about you and the rumor that’s going around.”

 

                Chanyeol blinked at him. “What rumor?”

 

                “That the only reason you don’t have a wife yet is because of me! That you like men and that you like me!” Baekhyun shouted except the last word. Chanyeol turned pink but burst into laughter.

 

                “The great king Park Chanyeol, going around liking men?” he shouted, making Baekhyun bury his face in his hands. “Why would I—Why is there a rumor like that going on? We don’t even do anything.”

 

                Baekhyun shook his head. “I don’t know, but I guess to the others we look like couples or whatever. Get married already, Chanyeol. Everyone is giving me weird looks nowadays. They can’t do anything to you but they can do anything they want to me—“

 

                Chanyeol placed his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder. “Are people bullying you?” Baekhyun shook his head. “Tell me if they are, I’ll make sure to punish them well.”

 

                Baekhyun growled. “Yah, that’s not the point here.” He stomped. “I… I should go apologize to Jongdae again now, since you did that. I’ll… Mm... See you later.” Baekhyun closed the door and ran to Jongdae, leaving Chanyeol standing there dumbfounded.

 

&&

 

                Choigak was a place the rich and the noble could really show off their influence on people. Only the best gisaengs were at Choigak and was owned by the well-known ex-gisaeng Choi Sooyoung, who is the second wife of a high placed civil servant in the palace, Choi Siwon. Only the noble and rich could enter the Choigak, meaning that the pretty gisaengs had to play with egoistic, selfish, and ugly bastards—“Kim Jongin, I told you to stop coming!” Lady Choi shouted and snatched the broom out of Dol’s hand.

 

                “But noona, please? Just one more time, I wanna hear her play—“ Jongin was interrupted by the smack of Sooyoung’s broom. “I even got a promotion, since you said only the noble and rich with a high position could enter. Now I’m both, so let me listen! I’m not even asking to see her face, I just wanna listen!” he shouted and covered his face with his arms protectively.

 

                Sooyoung rolled her eyes and sighed. “Fine, but only when she’s practicing.” Jongin thanked her and ran to the side of the Choigak where the amazing gayageum player always practiced. “What a stubborn child.” She tsk-ed and gave the broom to Dol, her servant. “Watch Jongin and don’t let him go inside the room, ever.” Dol nodded and swept the broom towards Jongin’s direction.

 

                Jongin stood and looked up to the direction of the music and smiled. It always cleared his mind, to hear her play the instrument. He didn’t even know her name or her face, but the music she played was beautiful. Soojung smiled at Jongin and latched herself onto his arm. “Young master, why don’t you visit anymore? I missed you!” she pouted, making Jongin push her forehead with two of his fingers. “Ow! Young master—“

 

                “You know I don’t come to the Choigak for gisaengs like you, just for the gayageum.” Jongin said with furrowed eyebrows. He brushed nonexistent dust off his hanbok and looked at Soojung, who had a frown on her face.

 

                Soojung let out an hmph and puffed her cheeks slightly. “I don’t see what’s so great about Kyunggie and her gayageum.” She mumbled, but it was loud enough for Jongin to hear.

 

                “Kyunggie?” Jongin blinked. “Is that her name?” he asked and grabbed Soojung’s hands. Blushing, Soojung nodded and looked around to make sure neither Dol nor Lady Choi was in listening radar.

 

                “Her nickname is Kyunggie, everyone calls her that around the Choigak but no one really gets to talk to her except Lady Choi. They’re really close but Kyunggie is a bit… quiet and bland. A boring type that no one can get along with, you know?” she tapped her chin. “But she’s really polite and goes out to buy cosmetics for the Choigak sometimes.” Soojung clapped her hands together. “Ah, she’s going today, you would be able to see her later this afternoon. She always wears a navy poncho over her head wherever she goes, so you’ll find her quickly. I’m only telling you because you’re so persistent in seeing Kyunggie, okay?” she sighed. “It’s been three years since you’ve been visiting and you only now know her name… I do deserve a kiss, don’t I?” Soojung’s eyes batted, making Jongin chuckle.

 

                Jongin gave her a peck on the cheek and smiled. “That was only because you gave me useful information! Thanks, Soojunggie.” He turned to wait outside of the Choigak for Kyunggie. Kyunggie’s name reminded him of Kyunghee, but he doubted that they were the same people. Kyunghee was so easy to get along with, complete opposite of Soojung’s description of the Kyunghee he knew. He had heard that Kyunghee was sold to a person in China and had decided to forget about her—it took a long time and a big heartache—recently, so he didn’t want to think about the chances and excite himself.

 

                As soon as the lady with a navy poncho over her head slipped out of the Choigak, Jongin followed behind her closely. Sulli ran towards the navy poncho and whispered something to her, making her turn her head slightly towards where Jongin was standing. Jongin quickly acted like he was inspecting some apples, and when she turned back around and reassured Sulli, Jongin followed her carefully.

 

                The girl never exposed her face during the entire business, and she returned to the Choigak with a box of cosmetics in her hands. Jongin sighed. What was so big about this girl that she couldn’t show her face? Did she have a huge scar on her face? Even without the poncho, she wore a mint colored lace mask that covered her entire face. “Get lost, Jongin.” Sooyoung shouted and ordered Dol to kick out the curious young man.

 

&&

 

                Baekhyun stretched and squinted his eyes from the sun shining through the paper window. He sighed and hopped out of bed, taking off his clothes and putting on his outer garments, the garments that Chanyeol gifted him with. Baekhyun placed his fingers against his back and felt the scar from when he was younger. It went from the right shoulder blade to the left hip. He had gotten it back when he was five, when Wangbi and Chanyeol took him in. If it wasn’t for the two, Baekhyun would have been left to die by the attackers. He was still thankful for their help.

               

                “Baekhyun, seja is ready to move.” Jongdae’s woke Baekhyun up from his thoughts and quickly closed the door behind him and walked across the hall to Chanyeol’s room. He knocked on the door.

 

                “It’s Baekhyun, I’ll you to the—“ An arm came out from the room and pulled Baekhyun into the room. “HOLY— CHANYEOL!” Baekhyun shouted and felt Chanyeol’s arms wrapped around his torso. “What are you doing?”

 

                Chanyeol pouted. “Can’t I get a morning hug from my best friend?” he asked and looked down at the petite man, who finally gave into the seja’s aegyo and gave him a proper hug. “After the Council meeting, I heard that there’s going to be a meeting just amongst the Council members. Follow them Baekhyun, and take Jongin with you. Find out what they’re planning to do, okay?” He whispered in Baekhyun’s ear. Chanyeol loved being secretive, because it meant he could lean close to Baekhyun and whisper “things” in his ear. Baekhyun, who obviously thought nothing of the action, nodded and gave him a nod. “Good boy. Let’s go?”

 

                Baekhyun opened the doors and watched Chanyeol take his place on the King seat. The seja will become King when he gets married… Baekhyun watched the meeting take place and thought hard. He was surprised Daebi wasn’t doing much about this whole marriage thing. Baekhyun should talk to Jongdae about it and he was sure that if he did, Jongdae would settle a meeting with some noble civil servant’s daughter. Chanyeol nodded to Baekhyun, who slipped out of the room to Jongin’s house.

 

                He found Jongin in no time, and when he heard the word Choigak, he was all for it. “I’m sure that gayageum player will be there at the meeting, so maybe you’ll finally meet that girl.” Baekhyun smiled at Jongin, who chuckled softly beside him. “You know some gisaengs, get some and ask them to report things to you after the meeting. You know they’re at it again. Also, Daebi isn’t rushing the seja’s marriage. Without the marriage, Chanyeol isn’t fully the King. This is dangerous, they’re plotting something—” His voice was rushed and Jongin’s chuckle interrupted his rant.

 

                Jongin smiled and placed his hand on Baekhyun’s hand. “Calm down, Baek. Nothing’s up yet. If anyone tells me information, I’ll pass it onto you. You go to Chanyeol, okay? I’ll stay here, come a few hours later. Sulli will tell you where my room will be.”

 

                Baekhyun smiled and nodded. “Thanks Jongin.” He rode his horse and turned to the direction of the Palace. Chanyeol was reading when Baekhyun came in. “How was the Council Meeting?”

 

                “I lowered the sales tax of food, I guess that’s a start. Halma-mama raised the tax too high, the commoners couldn’t obtain food. The crime rates increased due to that, and now hopefully it’ll decrease.” Chanyeol placed down his eyeglasses and looked up at Baekhyun. “How did it go?”

 

                “Jongin is there and placed some gisaeng spies there. As soon as I said Choigak, he was in on the plan.” Baekhyun chuckled. “That kid. He’s really crazy about that gayageum girl, isn’t he?” Baekhyun cleared his throat and averted his eyes from Chanyeol’s quickly when he found the seja gazing up at him. “Speaking of women, how about you, Chanyeol? You should get married. Without a wife, you’re not fully King. I feel it. Someone is plotting against you. I mean, if they weren’t, how could you explain Wangbi-mama’s and the King’s death? They’re out to get you, Chanyeol. You need to settle down with a girl and—“

 

                Chanyeol slammed his book on the table and looked at Baekhyun, who flinched in surprise. “I told you never to speak of it again, Baekhyun. You should know when to hold your tongue.” He glared at Baekhyun, but when he met eyes with a frightened pair of eyes, he softened. “Sorry, you know how I am with that. I’ll get married, don’t worry, Baekhyun. I have reasons for all of this and getting a wife is least of my worries.” He smiled at Baekhyun, who sighed.

 

                “I’m just worried. Actually, I’m getting paranoid, Chanyeol. I don’t want you to… I don’t want you to disappear either.” Baekhyun looked down at his hands. Chanyeol sighed and placed his hand on Baekhyun’s head.

 

                “Don’t worry, I won’t go anywhere. I’m Park Chanyeol, the seja. Future King. I’m ready to go against anything that comes for me.” He grinned and patted Baekhyun’s back. “It’s probably time, go meet up with Jongin and bring me good news.” Baekhyun nodded and bowed his head slightly before leaving. Chanyeol sighed. He didn’t want to get married with a civil servant’s daughter. He didn’t want anything forced. All he needed and wanted was Baekhyun.

 

&&

 

                Baekhyun smiled and sat down across from Jongin. “Oh, so is this the sound of the gayageum?” He asked when he heard the sounds of a lovely tune from the room right across from theirs. “She’s impressive. No wonder you come to listen to her every day.”

 

                “You know, Baekhyun. She sort of reminds me of Kyunghee. Her name is Kyunggie, according to some gisaengs around here. Doesn’t the name sound like Kyunghee? Also, she hides her face from others. Why would she need to do that—“

 

                Baekhyun chuckled, placing down his glass of water. “Jongin, I think you’re now making stories up. There are plenty of girls that have names with the letter Kyung. She might be covering her face due to a scar, or maybe her face was ridiculed by others. Let’s get ourselves a drink, shall we?”

 

                A few hours later, a gisaeng slipped into their room and sat beside Jongin. “Is there anything important they’re talking about?” Jongin asked, and the gisaeng whispered in Jongin’s ear, eyeing Baekhyun carefully. “Good work, keep doing it, Soojung. I’ll treat you to something nice, okay?” Jongin winked at the blushing gisaeng and closed the door quietly. “Apparently the Woman killed off all of the seja’s siblings, I mean, who could become the next King other than Chanyeol.”

 

                Baekhyun blinked and registered the information in his brain. “Three years ago, when Daebi was in full power, was probably when the Woman started acting out her plan. The Daebi had loose laws about killings and deaths of the seja’s relatives then.” Jongin nodded slowly. “I’m sure the King has hidden children, and so they probably got executed also.”

 

                Jongin took a swig of the makgeoli and placed it down on the table with furrowed brows. “If the Woman succeeds in killing Chanyeol, then no one will be next-in-line for the throne. Then the Daebi will adopt a grandson and—“

 

                “He will become King instead.” They whispered in unison, and a high-pitched scream came from the hallway. They both turned around to look at the door.

 

                “Don’t touch me!”

 

                “I’ll make you feel good, okay? Just think of it like playing your gayageum, okay? Play me like you play on your strings, Kyunggie. I have lots of money, you know.” Jongin slowly got up from his seat and stepped towards the door. “Stop struggling!” there was a sound of a loud slap, and Jongin burst the door open.

 

                “I’m sure the lady said not to touch her.” Jongin said with a frown. “Let the pretty lady go.” He grabbed the masked girl’s wrist and the nobleman’s hand around her wrist.

 

                The nobleman hiccupped and furrowed his eyebrows at Jongin. “Who’re you? Do you know who I am? I’m from the Lee Family! I can… send you in jail and—” Baekhyun stepped up next to Jongin.

 

                “The sir here is a man from the Kim Family. You should know, Jaejoong, the seja’s uncle. You should know who you’re speaking to.” Baekhyun said and punched the drunk nobleman, and a loud thud was heard within the Choigak. Jongin took the opportunity to quickly pull the girl along and drag her to Sooyoung’s secret room.

 

                Jongin breathed heavily and glanced at the girl beside him. The ribbon of her top was untied and her hair was a mess. Her lace mask was tilted to one side, revealing a bit of her nose. “Are you okay?” he asked, and cleared his throat and averted his eyes from her chest.

 

                The girl quickly tied her ribbon on her shirt and nodded. “I’m fine, but that was dangerous. What if he did send you to jail because of me?” she shouted. “Don’t think I’ll thank you just because you saved me from that man, I still don’t know if you’re safe.” She huffed.

 

                Jongin blinked as the familiar voice and line registered into his brain. “Safe…?”

 

                “Yes, dangerous. You pulled me into this room and—“  Jongin leaned in towards the girl and slipped the lace mask off of her. “What are you doing?” she shouted in panic and looked up at Jongin, trying to cover up her face with her hands.

 

                “Kyunghee.” Jongin breathed, making Kyungsoo shiver. “Do you remember me? I’m Jongin.”

 

                Kyungsoo blinked. “Jongin?” Kyungsoo remembered his sister speaking about Jongin… he was his sister’s lover—Kyungsoo gasped, and met eyes with Jongin’s mesmerized ones.