TEN

Clarity

                Kyungsoo found himself in front of Jongin’s house. He took in a deep breath and walked in, asking the servant in the front for Jongin. “Tell him it’s Kyunghee.” He said, in the most demanding tone he could pull off. There was a tap on his shoulder, and he almost jumped out of his skin until he realized it was Jongin. “Jongin.” He breathed, blinking at the boy behind him.

 

                Jongin looked different, he seemed exhausted and his worries were written all over his face. He had dark circles and bags under his eyes, and his eyes had lost the life that it held before when they first met at the Choigak. “Kyunghee, what are you doing here?” his voice was weak.

 

                Kyungsoo looked around and then fixed his gaze on Jongin. “We need to speak. I need to talk to you.”

 

                Jongin nodded. “Do you want to go in my room or do you want to go back to the Choigak?”

 

                “The Choigak please, I don’t feel safe here.” Kyungsoo said, honestly, there was something wrong in his house.

 

                Jongin chuckled. “Me either.” He mumbled before grabbing Kyungsoo’s hand and leading them back to the Choigak. “Did you miss me or something? I like this. You come to see me now, instead of it being me the whole time.”

 

                Kyungsoo opened the door to his room and sat down, watching Jongin do the same. “Well, yes, I guess you can say I missed you a little.” Jongin’s lips curled into a slight grin, which made Kyungsoo sigh in relief. At least a bit of him was still the same. “Jongin.”

 

                “Yes?”

 

                Kyungsoo sighed again, making Jongin raise an eyebrow. “You know how you told me my family got killed?” Jongin nodded, his eyes now averting Kyungsoo’s eyes. “I think I found out why they were killed. And you need to promise that no matter what, you’ll be on seja’s side. That you won’t betray me. If you betray seja, you’re betraying me. Just promise me that, because I think I’m in love with you.”

 

                Jongin’s eyes widened and lifted to meet Kyungsoo’s. “I thought your memories were—”

 

                Kyungsoo covered his face. “I guess I’m an idiot because I’m in love with you again.” He whispered, lowering his hands but keeping his eyes fixed on his skirt.

 

                Jongin leaned in and pressed his lips gently against Kyungsoo’s forehead. “I love you too. And I won’t do anything that would hurt you.” Hopefully Kyugsoo saying this would prevent Jongin from betraying the seja. He had to convince himself that the confession was an act, but his heart said something different.

 

                Jongin pulled Kyungsoo into his embrace. “I can’t believe it. You actually like me too.” He smiled widely, making Kyungsoo turn pink.

 

                “Y—Yeah, but that doesn’t mean you can kiss me and do stuff with me, okay?” Kyungsoo pushed Jongin away gently. “I… I guess I’ll see you at the wedding.”

 

                “If I see you at the wedding, will you let me kiss you and do stuff with you?” Jongin raised his brows, making Kyungsoo push him out of his room. Jongin roared with laughter and smiled. “I’m just teasing. See you at the palace tomorrow, Kyunghee.”

 

                Kyungsoo waved back to him shyly, and watched him leave. Now he had to head to the palace.

 

&&

 

                “Jongin is in danger as well. He was the one the Woman wanted to place as the new King.” Kyungsoo said to Baekhyun, who was also accompanied by Chanyeol (but he was covered behind a veil). “I made sure Jongin would not betray us, but keep the secret with us. We can hold back the Woman with Jongin’s act for a while, but not for long. They will attack on the wedding day, and I’m not sure if Jongin will be safe once they realize he’s not in the plan with them.”

 

                Baekhyun nodded. “We’ll have to find a way everyone can be safe. How about you lure Jongin out to the side, we’ll find a safe location where they won’t be able to find Jongin.”

 

                “But what if they don’t attack on the wedding day? What if they make us think that and hit us the next day? What if they switch up the plans?” Chanyeol asked. “We need to think of alternative plans. Not that I don’t trust my own cousin, but he could turn on us any time he wants to. We need to think of a plan then also.”

 

                Baekhyun sighed. “Only thing we know for sure if that Shim’s daughter will be targeted on the wedding day, so we need securities there and at the festival. We might need more guards.”

 

                Chanyeol nodded his head. “This act has to be perfect. Jongin can’t know about it. Jongdae, pick out some of the best guards with Sehun and make sure Minji and Seulgi are well protected. We can’t let our guards down. And you, Kyunghee, please watch over Jongin and make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid, got it?”

 

Kyungsoo gulped. It was finally time for him to shine and protect the nation… and more people from getting hurt. “If you give me a map, I can lure him to a spot and keep him busy.” He watched Baekhyun reach into a cabinet and pull out a map of the main section of the palace, where the wedding would take place next morning.

 

                Baekhyun placed his finger on the map. “Here, the document storage room. No one goes there, and no one will suspect anything. When you get Jongin into the storage room, we’ll send guards to protect you both. The Woman might get angry if she finds out if Jongin doesn’t want to help them.”

 

                Kyungsoo folded the map and hid it inside his shirt. “Yes, mama.”

 

                Chanyeol clapped his hands together. “Sounds like a plan. Let’s make a smooth wedding, everyone.”

 

&&

 

                Baekhyun was pacing back and forth in the room, forcing Chanyeol to pull him down onto his bed (because Seulgi was still staying at Baekhyun’s room). Baekhyun let out a squeak and looked up at Chanyeol, who had pinned him down. “W—What?”

 

                “Baekhyun, everything will be fine.” Chanyeol said, patting Baekhyun’s cheek.

 

                “I wasn’t worrying, Chanyeol. I know things are gonna go smoothly.”

 

                Chanyeol raised a brow. “Are you sure you know?” he tilted his head. “Come on, get some rest, tomorrow is the wedding.”

 

                Baekhyun grumbled. “How can I rest when our lives are about to be at stake? Chanyeol, Jongin is going to be in really big trouble if he doesn’t follow what the Woman tells him to do. We have to be the ones protecting him without him knowing—”

 

                “I don’t like hearing my future wife to worry about another man right before our wedding night. Baekhyun, please go to sleep, it’s gonna be a long day ahead of you.”

 

                “But Chanyeol—”

 

                Chanyeol slammed his hand against the wall, trapping Baekhyun in between him and the wall. “Baekhyun, I got this under control. Listen to me.” Baekhyun nodded slowly, shocked by the sudden action and crouched under to go through Chanyeol’s blockade.

 

                “Good night, and see you tomorrow.” Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a gentle smile before disappearing out of the room with Sunyoung.

 

                “Baekhee-assi, are you ready for the big day tomorrow?” Sunyoung smiled widely while walking a step behind Baekhyun. “You’re going to officially be the Queen of Joseon!”

 

                Baekhyun smiled worriedly, “Yeah, I guess I will be the Queen of Joseon…” he mumbled before stopping to look at the moon. “I hope everyone stays safe tomorrow.”

 

&&

 

                “Isn’t the moon so pretty?” Sulli smiled widely, her feet dangling from the terrace of the main gisaeng room. There was a knock on the door and Kyungsoo slipped into the room quietly. Despite the silent entrance, all the girls in the room turned to look at him. “Kyunghee unnie!” Sulli shouted excitedly.

 

                One of the popular gisaengs, Jisun, looked up at Kyungsoo while changing into her pajamas. “Kyunghee, what are you doing here? You never come visit us here.” She smiled warmly.

 

                Kyungsoo kneeled on the floor and closed his eyes tightly. “Jisun unnie, please teach me how to make guys swoon for you!” he shouted. The shocking request brought laughter into the room.

 

                “Is my Kyunghee finally growing up to want to get a man?” Jisun brought Kyungsoo into her embrace (suffocated him with her s, actually. It was uncomfortable). “Aw man, I remember my first days as gisaeng. Honestly, Kyunghee, just go for it. You’re pretty and talented enough to get any man. Don’t be afraid to show off yourself and you know… let yourself go for the day.” She winked, making Kyungsoo’s face flush with embarrassment. The entire room of girls squealed and shouted Jisun’s name.

 

                Kyungsoo had to distract Jongin until everyone was safe from the Woman’s attack, but how would he do it? From what Jisun had told him, he had to… you know. Kyungsoo was willing to give up his first kiss to Jongin if that meant he was going to save his country’s king and queen. He just hoped that Jongin wouldn’t find out his true identity. That would not be good at all. He sighed and looked out his window and at the moon shining down at him. Shining down at him and—“Jongin?” Kyungsoo shouted, and quickly covered his mouth. “Jongin, what are you doing here?”

 

                “I was just stopping by to talk to Sooyoung noona… but I got distracted at how beautiful you were.” Jongin had this shy smile that he would only flash at Kyungsoo and it made his heart throb. Jongin always had a confident, shiny smile he sent at the other gisaengs of Choigak, but to Kyungsoo, he was always shy and… “Kyunghee, you’re staring at me. I know I’m handsome but—”

 

                “W—Who said I was staring at you because you were handsome?” he grumbled, turning away to hide his red face. “A…Anyway, you should go to sleep early if you’re going to the wedding tomorrow. You know it lasts an entire day, the festival.”

 

                “Oh, about that.” Jongin stepped closer towards Kyungsoo. “If other guys try to touch you, I’ll break their wrists. Come to me when you’re done with your instrument so I can claim you. That way, other nobles will know that you’re mine and mine only.” Kyungsoo was at a loss for words until Jongin waved goodbye. “See you tomorrow then, Kyunghee!” Kyungsoo found himself waving slowly at Jongin until he was out of his sight.

 

                He was falling for this guy way harder than he had intended.