ELEVEN

Clarity

If you're on your desktop and you'd like some bgm:
Long Roads (The King and the Clown OST)

 

It was finally today. Today was the day that Baekhyun was going to be known as Baekhee forever. Well, that was, until he got caught. Baekhyun sighed while he was getting dressed into the traditional wedding clothes. The wig was really heavy and was really straining to his neck, he was going to complain to Chanyeol after this.

 

“Baekhee-mama, we’ll need to get going in a few minutes, seja-mama is waiting for us on the carriage.” Sunyoung said, walking quickly into the room with the message. “Wow, you look beautiful.” She smiled at Baekhyun, who (honestly) looked like he was going to throw up. “M—Mama, if you think you’re going to be sick, please tell us so we can get the doctor on standby.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head. “That won’t be necessary. I’ll be fine once I’m up there. Sunyoung, please make sure Seulgi gets to watch the wedding safely for me.” He smiled and patted Sunyoung’s hand before heading out to the carriage.

 

While Baekhyun was about to live through the biggest mistake Chanyeol has ever made in his life (choosing Baekhyun as his wife), Chanyeol thought it was the best decision because Baekhyun looked really funny in that huge wig.

 

“You think this is funny? After the official wedding ceremony, you’re dead meat.” Baekhyun muttered under his breath, making Chanyeol fake a shiver. “Anyway, is everything prepared for today? When is Kyunghee coming?”

 

Chanyeol placed his hand on Baekhyun’s and squeezed it reassuringly. “Don’t worry about it, I got it all under control.” He smiled and turned to face the people at the Palace when the carriage was picked up. “Now smile at them so we can make this the cutest wedding in all of history, Baek.”

 

It really was amazing, the Palace was filled with officials, nobles, and other staff members. Sooyoung was checking everything backstage for the perfect festival. “Dol-ah, make sure none of the gisaengs run away. Keep your eye on Kyunghee’s instrument as well, and if she wants to practice, take her to the practice room. I’m going to go see Seulgi.” Dol nodded before heading to his room.

 

Kyungsoo watched Sooyoung head to Baekhee’s room, where Seulgi was recovering, and cleared to Dol. “Dol, do you know when the other nobles are coming?”

 

Dol shrugged and pointed to the middle of the Palace. “I think they’re supposed to be here soon, I see Kim-ssi over there.” Kyungsoo’s breath hitched at the familiar figure in such unfamiliar clothing. He never really thought of Jongin as a noble, he always seemed immature. But today, he looked like a proper candidate for the King position. Dol chuckled at Kyungsoo’s awestruck face and cleared his throat. “You’ll get to speak to him after the ceremony, Kyunggie.” He grinned, then made his way to Soojung, who was waving for his attention.

 

Soon the ceremony began, and the gisaengs stood standby to entertain the nobles after the wedding. Kyungsoo peeked outside and watched the royal couple bow their heads and smile at each other. They were going to be great rulers for Joseon, Kyungsoo thought.

 

“Kyung! Come here, let me help you with your makeup. You’re going to woo your lover today, hm? You gotta look good!” Jisun took the makeup the gisaengs were sharing and pulled Kyungsoo down on the stairs. “I’ll make you look presentable so when he lifts the mask, he won’t be shocked.” She joked. Jisun’s jokes made Kyungsoo loosen up a bit and he was thankful for that.

 

When Jisun was finished with Kyungsoo’s makeup, all the gisaengs gathered around to see the rare sight. “You must really like this boy, huh? You usually hate getting your makeup done.” A voice from the group of gisaengs exclaimed. All the girls ooh-ed and ahh-ed before watching Kyungsoo look at his reflection in the mirror. He felt good, he felt pretty enough to distract Jongin for a while. He thanked Jisun for the hehlp and Sooyoung came by to gather them together for the ceremony. Sooyoung winked at Kyungsoo before letting the gisaengs out for the show.

 

Kyungsoo grabbed his gayageum and headed out to the middle of the Palace, in front of the royal newlyweds. Baekhyun and Chanyeol both smiled down at the performers and nodded. Kyungsoo, with the help of her other two ensemble members, began her performance. He swore he saw Jongin smile at the corner of his eye, but he couldn’t mess up today. He felt his fingers pluck the strings faster as the tempo picked up. When they were finished, the main wedding ceremony was over and it was time for the festival.

 

A young noble wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “Kyunggie, come over here and play with us. I’d love to hear your gayageum playing. My name is Hyunsik, from the Lim family. You’ve heard of me before, I think I saw you—” Kyungsoo let out a squeak when someone pulled him away from the confused noble.

 

Jongin wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist. “Back off, Hyunsik, I called dibs on her weeks ago. Right, Kyunggie?” he looked down at Kyungsoo, who was bright pink. Good thing the lace mask was covering her face, or Jongin could see how he was biting his lip in nervousness. He nodded in reply of Jongin’s question. Hyunsik shrugged and chuckled.

 

“We’re all playing around here, aren’t we? Jongin, you’re going to be at our table anyway, we can share.” Hyunsik pushed the two to the table where they sat at a table. All the other young nobles had gisaengs with them. Hyunsik rested his cheek against his hand and leaned forward to stare at Kyungsoo. Jongin tightened his grip around Kyungsoo’s waist and leaned in to stare back at Hyunsik.

 

“Lim Hyunsik, what are you looking at?” Jongin asked, fiddling with Kyungsoo’s fingers below the table.

 

“Hey, hey, you’re not the only fan of Kyunggie’s! My dream was to see her in person like this. You look very beautiful, by the way.” Hyunsik flashed a smile at Kyungsoo. Jongin huffed and took a big swig out of the makgeoli bottle.

 

Kyungsoo placed his hand on Jongin’s. “Hey, don’t drink too quickly. You’re going to be intoxicated.” He looked up at Jongin in worry. Wait, maybe Jongin being drunk wasn’t such a bad idea when the time to distract him came.

 

Jongin leaned in and grinned. “Kyunggie, are you worried about me?” Kyungsoo’s face flushed once again, and he could hear Hyunsik sigh and take a sip from his glass.

 

“Kyunggie, worry about me too!” Hyunsik pouted, laughing when Jongin sent him a death glare. Kyungsoo chuckled and placed his hand on Hyunsik’s forehead.

 

“Lim-ssi, you be careful too, it’s dangerous to be intoxicated at an event like this.” Kyungsoo smiled at Hyunsik, making him turn slightly pink. “And Jongin, you’re not the only one I’m supposed to entertain today.” He said sternly. Kyungsoo leaned up and placed a kiss on Jongin’s cheek. “But you know that you’re the only one allowed to touch me.” He mumbled shyly.

 

Hyunsik bounced on his seat. “I want a kiss too, Kyunggie!” he whined. Jongin grinned stupidly at Kyungsoo and cleared his throat. “I’m better looking than Jongin, Kyunggie—” Jongin sent Hyunsik a kick from below the table, making him yelp in pain.

 

&&

 

“Chanyeol, you made sure Minji was protected, right?” Baekhyun was pulling his wedding wig off with the help of Sunyoung and Seulgi, who was feeling much better and was moved to Baekhee’s department.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “The only other person we have to protect is you. We can’t be careless about this. I made sure guards were in our section of the Palace and Minji’s without being too suspicious.” When Seulgi and Sunyoung left the room, Chanyeol leaned closer to Baekhyun. “But we just got married, can’t we celebrate for a bit?”

 

Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol. “Good thing you brought it up, I’m gonna whoop your . Do you understand how dangerous this is for me? If they find out the truth about me, I’m going to be executed and so will you. The sacrifices made for you will all go up in flames!” Baekhyun whispered angrily, doing a choke hold against Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol quickly tapped Baekhyun’s arm. “B—Baekhyun, I can’t breathe!” When Baekhyun loosened his grip against him, he grabbed Baekhyun’s arms. “Do you not trust me, Baek? You know I can protect you.”

 

“Anyway, it’s not as if we got married because we actually like each other.” Baekhyun mumbled, turning to face the wall and regret what he just said. Chanyeol never liked Baekhyun in that way, it was always just Baekhyun. Chanyeol was just clingy to Baekhyun because he was his childhood friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

“Who said I didn’t like you?” Chanyeol tilted his head and leaned close to Baekhyun. Baekhyun hated it when Chanyeol lowered his voice like that. It made his toes tingle. “If you didn’t notice, Baek, I’ve been in love with you since the day I met you.”

 

Baekhyun blinked. “As a brother, I know.” He mumbled, walking away from Chanyeol and toward the open balcony door. “Chanyeol, look how pretty the fireworks are.” He smiled and turned around to find Chanyeol standing right in front of him. “I… uh…”

 

“Baek, I like you a lot.” Chanyeol’s words refused to make sense in Baekhyun’s brain. All he could do was stand there and stare up at Chanyeol in awe. “Baekhyun, I’m in love with you. Do I have to keep repeating myself?”

 

Baekhyun turned pink. “W—What? Did you drink too much alcohol—” Before Baekhyun could continue, Chanyeol tilted the petite male’s chin upwards. “Chanyeol.” He whispered before the seja closed the gap between their lips.

 

&&

 

“Jongin, you’re really drunk, you should stop drinking now!” Kyungsoo shouted, trying to snatch the cup out of Jongin’s hand. Hyunsik and Jongin ended up having a drinking competition to see who was ‘manlier’ for Kyungsoo. “Hello? Are you listening to me?”

 

Jongin grinned before taking the cup back into his hand. “Kyunghee, Kyunghee. Don’t worry about your orabeoni, I’m not drunk at all! Look at how perfect I am!” Jongin stood up and tried to spin around—until he fell onto the floor, head against Kyungsoo’s chest.

 

Kyungsoo smiled apologetically at Hyunsik, who was extremely drunk as well, and helped Jongin get up. This was his time to take him away before the Woman could add Jongin into their plan to kill Minji tonight. “Jongin, follow me, okay?” Kyungsoo intertwined his fingers with Jongin and dragged him to the nearest open room. There were shelves and shelves of books lined up, and it was dark enough for people to not recognize them. It was perfect.

 

“Ah, Kyunghee, are you trying to lay in bed with me? Is this why you brought me to such a dark place? I didn’t think you were this dirty, Kyunghee, how naughty of you.” Jongin giggled. “But I don’t let girls take the lead, I set the pace.” He growled and pushed Kyungsoo onto the ground. Kyungsoo watched Jongin crawl on top of him and gulped. At this rate, Jongin would soon find out Kyungsoo’s real identity.

 

“J—Jongin.” Kyungsoo grabbed onto Jongin’s shoulders and shook him. “I… I don’t want this—” Jongin started to press delicate kisses up Kyungsoo’s neck and pressing his body down against Kyungsoo’s. “Jongin… ah…” Jongin had already wedged himself between Kyungsoo’s legs, making his skirt ride up. Jongin’s hands were all over Kyungsoo’s thighs, now revealed by the skirt riding up, and Kyungsoo was too stimulated by these touches to try to stop him again.

 

“Kyunghee. You don’t know how much I longed for you while you were gone. How I yearned to touch you and hold you like this…” Jongin whispered against Kyungsoo’s ear. Kyungsoo felt himself giving into Jongin’s touches and kisses, and soon the ribbon of Kyungsoo’s top was undone.

 

“Noble Kim!” A voice shouted from outside the dark room. Light from a torch streamed into the library, but the door was nicely locked from the inside. “Mama, there’s no sign of him here.”

 

Kyungsoo’s breath hitched at the familiar voices. Jongin perked up from Kyungsoo’s shoulder and looked into his eyes. “Did you hear my name? Are people looking for me?” he blinked, suddenly sober.

 

“N—No, it was nobody. Jongin, stay.” Kyungsoo gripped onto his arm. “I—If you go now, it’ll be dangerous for you. Once you’re found, you’ll have to follow their orders into hurting the seja and his new wife. You’ll be under pressure and… most importantly, you’ll be in danger.”

 

Jongin’s eyebrows furrowed. “Kyunghee, what are you talking about? How much do you know?”

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip and rubbed his face with his hand. “Jongin, I heard at the Choigak about how The Woman wanted to recruit you to use you. Sooner or later, you’ll be forced to kill the king with your two hands. Then you’ll be at the throne but you don’t know how easy they make it sound. Once you kill the king, if they don’t have the right people working out the kinks in the back, you might be executed for murdering the king. They’re using you so they don’t have to dirty their hands. Jongin, listen to me. Stay.”

 

“Did you think I was going to betray Chanyeol and go along with The Woman’s plan? Who did you think I was? I thought you understood me and knew me more than anyone. I’m the king’s cousin, his best friend, and someone he considers his brother. If you thought I would betray him…You probably thought I was this huge who would go behind people’s back, huh?” Jongin stood up angrily, picking up his hat and putting it on his head.

 

“I won’t get pushed around by The Woman like you think I will. I’ll set the rules and I’ll form the plans. I thought you finally opened up to me and regained our memories but I guess you were faking all of that to distract me. Well, congratulations, you did it. You distracted me during their plan, but now I’ll make sure these plans get executed. I can’t believe you doubted me like that. Did you decide this on your own or did Chanyeol beg you to use my love for you against me? He was probably scared that I would end up killing him and used you to gain protection. I guess, all along, you guys saw me as a backstabbing bastard. That’s why they never told me anything until they got caught. I understand. I never wanna see you again, Kyunghee. I was such a fool, blinded by love.” Jongin kicked the shelf before turning to leave.

 

Kyungsoo stood up and brushed the dirt off of his hanbok. “J…Jongin.”

 

“What, Kyunghee? Is there anything else you wanna tell me?” Jongin shouted, pushing Kyungsoo against the wall harshly. “Oh, but wait, you won’t tell me because no one trusts me! No one I’m loyal to trusts me. No one!” Kyungsoo placed his hand on Jongin’s chest and pressed his gentle lips against Jongin’s. Jongin was taken aback by how gentle Kyungsoo was being, but tried to regain his angry self.

 

“Jongin, I’m sorry. I didn’t see you like a backstabbing jerk. I was just… it was for the safety of seja and the future of our country—” Kyungsoo’s eyes were filled with sadness. Jongin wiped his thumb on Kyungsoo’s cheek and sighed. Kyungsoo’s cheeks were streaming with his tears, his hands were gripping onto Jongin’s shirt tightly. “Jongin, don’t hate the king for this. He didn’t want to tell you so everything would go smoothly and no one would get hurt.”

 

Kyungsoo his lips before pressing another kiss on Jongin’s lips. Once again, the kiss was not returned. “Kyunghee.” Jongin grabbed Kyungsoo’s arm and placed it down. “I think I need time to process what’s going on. Emotions are controlling my thoughts right now and I can’t think logically. I need to go.” Jongin turned and left the dark library, leaving Kyungsoo on the ground, crying.

 

&&

 

“I’m so glad you decided to join in on the plan. Unfortunately, the security was way too tight to attack Minji, but now that we have you, it’ll be a breeze to kill the newly crowned king.” The Woman cackled, clapping her hands together. “We’ll have you on the throne instead of Chanyeol in no time, Jongin. Just watch your grandma work her magic.” Jongin nodded and smiled bitterly.

 

--

i know Jongin kind of over reacted to Kyungsoo but I had to do it!
Anyways. Sorry for making the actual wedding ceremony so short, it wasn't as important as the other events that were gonna go on after the ceremony.
And the wedding day has two parts, so next chapter, we'll have more story on baekyeol and what they did for their first night ;  ))) don't expect too much but yeah. 
thanks for reading and commenting, you guys know i appreciate that. and sorry for not updating for so long, i was on a trip and on a slight writer's block.
i'm trying to reply to every comment, so don't hesitate to talk to me! thanks again xoxoxo