Chapter 5: June 15

No Future Without You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning Nana woke up earlier than usual. All the sleep she had gotten the day before had caused her to wake up before her alarm had even gone off. As a result she was able to catch a glimpse of Kris fast asleep beside her.

Unlike all the other mornings he wasn’t just sleeping beside her on his own side. Today she had woken up to see his arm was wrapped around her torso and his face was right beside hers like he had fallen asleep watching her in his arms.

This made her cheeks become red. She couldn’t help but wonder if he had been starring at her and found the flaws she had been worried about lately. She then stopped thinking about that and slowly pushed his arm off, not wanting to wake him before he had to.

When she got out of bed she stepped out into the kitchen to wash the dishes Kris might have left after eating dinner last night with Baobei. To her surprise the kitchen was spotless, there were no dishes in sight and the table had been wiped down as well.

It was hard to believe Kris did this; he hadn’t done anything around the house in a long time. He was always away or too busy with work.

***

When Kris woke up he immediately looked over to Nana’s side of the bed and got up when he saw she wasn’t there. He stepped out into the living room to find her staring blankly at the television in front of her that was playing the morning news. “I thought you didn’t like the news.”

Kris’ voice broke Nana out of her thoughts. “I don’t but there’s nothing on right now.” She flipped through the channels searching for something.

“Are you feeling better today” he asked as he sat down beside her on the couch.

Nana nodded before looking over at him. “It’s not like I’ll die from dizziness.”

“Don’t even talk about death” Kris got a bit defensive when he heard that word. Seeing and talking to an angel for a week about the problems in his family made him sensitive. Although angels were good they were tied to death, he wouldn’t be able to bear with the death of either Nana or his daughter.

He was still unaware of what exactly he had to do different in order for May to be satisfied. He then remembered the last words she had told him last night. “Just in case you aren’t fine, I’ll stay home today.”

“What? Why?” Nana became defensive. She had already decided today would be the day she would think things clearly and if she did make the hard decision then she would need to take care of some things while Kris was away.

If he stayed here then it would be harder for her to think things through. The main problem was Kris and his being away. It was never a question of whether she loved him or not. She knew 100% that she loved him and she knew he once loved her. Maybe he even loves her now but not as much as before.

“Do you know how long it’s been since we go out with Baobei together” Kris asked making her lose her train of thought.

Nana nodded, “since she was in my stomach.”

Kris chuckled as he remembered it technically didn’t count but then again it did. “We should go to the park together right now.” He stood up ready to go get his daughter.

“But we can’t. We’ll get caught.”

“Not if I wear my disguise.” He ran off to his daughter with a smile on his face. His heart felt lightened by the fact that Nana had remembered so far back into their relationship. It wasn’t just him who remembered all those good times.

***

At the park Kris watched as his daughter and Nana played very naturally together. It was something they were used to after all. Baobei loved going to the park with Nana. They would always go together but this was the first time Kris had ever been there with them.

Kris was standing close by them trying to be part of their moment but at the same time he tried keeping his distance in case anyone noticed him there would be no scandal.

“Mama why is Baba there” Baobei pointed over at Kris who was sitting one swing over instead of the swing next to theirs. 

Nana looked down at her daughter who was sitting on her lap as she swung her legs to make the swing move slowly. “He needs to stay out of sight.”

“I don’t want it. Baba” she called out to Kris who slowly turned his head to her. “What’s wrong Maylin?”

Instead of answering him she looked up at Nana with confusion. “Why did Baba say my name? He didn’t call me Baobei.”

Nana knew it mu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter