Chapter 4: June 14

No Future Without You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris didn’t go home the next day. He only called Nana to tell her that and stayed as far away as possible from her and his daughter. He had to think about what had happened the other day.

He knew it would be hard to balance acting and a family since the moment he found out Baobei would be coming but he was ready for it. He was happy to know there would be someone who depended on him for survival. He wanted to do everything he could for Nana and Baobei.

“May I don’t get it, Nana always understood me. She always cheered me on when I would go to auditions and wished me luck when I would perform on stage. Now that I look at it she hasn’t done those things anymore. When I leave, she only smiles and gives me a kiss, no words…”

May looked down at her feet as she made small circles in the carpet. “If I were her I would stay quiet too. I saw the pain she feels.” May touched and ran her hand up and down her neck trying to get rid of the memory. “Yesterday I was touching her hand when you told her you had to leave and couldn’t spend time with them. was strained. It felt so tight like she could hardly breathe but Nana is a strong person. Somehow she was able to move past the pain and talk to you.”

“But you only made it worse.”

“So, because you’re an angel you can see these things I can’t? Like how May feels?”

May nodded, “I can also see how you feel. It only makes me sad to see your true feelings. I appear before you less now because I am drained.” She opened her hands showing her palms that shimmered with a shadow of bright light. “Angels are only an embodiment of warmth, innocence, and happiness. We only exist to help with the negativity of the world but even we have our limits. I feel just as much pain as humans do. It pains me to see how Nana and you both love each other yet there are so many obstacles that are keeping you two from being able to happily enjoy your life.”

Kris dropped down on the chair close to May. He held his head in frustration. “Then please tell me everything so I can fix it.”

“That’s not how it works.” May shook her head, “I’m sorry but I can only lead you to the right answer I can’t tell you it.”

Seeing the desperation on Kris’ face made May give in. “I will tell you a little something that will help you.” May sat down on the floor with her legs crossed. “In heaven there is a process for angels. In order to get our wings we must do some work first. It all depends on what higher ranking angel picks you. I was a guardian angel for children. When I got my wings I immediately looked for God and told him I needed to help Liu Nana.”

“Then does that mean even in the future we don’t get married.”

May remained quiet and averted his gaze. If only he knew that they wouldn’t even continue being together if she can’t help them. “I really wish I could tell you everything so it can be fixed but I can’t. Even this much I don’t think I should have told you.”

Kris ignored what she was saying as he thought further, “then you must have been a guardian angel for Baobei.”

May nodded and shrugged at the same time. “It’s a possibility… I myself don’t remember much from those times because in heaven we are there to rest and forget all our troubles. If I really was Baobei’s guardian then it’s not a good thing. We don’t save lives or anything like that. We just pray and guide the child to the best option… even if it means death. We just want the eternal peace for the soul.” May’s eyes began to water as she realized what she said. She had gone too much into detail and probably jeopardized her time on Earth. “I can’t say anything more. Please try to forget all this.”

“Angelus Defluo” May whispered wanting to disappear. “You’re still here” Kris told her.

May looked down at herself and noticed he was right; she stood up and tried to disappear but nothing happened. “Angelus Defluo” she repeated over and over again but nothing. “I said too much.”

“Can you be punished for saying too much? Is that why you don’t tell me much?”

Her eyes were wide as she looked at Kris. “The punishment will affect you more than me. If you know too much then you are able to change fate and that is something that should not be done. I can only guide you to choose another fate not change it all completely.”

Kris’ cell phone began to ring causing alarm to both of them. When he took his phone out of his pocket he saw the name “it’s Nana.”

“Answer it quickly.”

“Hello” Kris answered but instead of Nana’s voice it was another female voice.

“Mr. Wu its Ri Ri. I’m Baobei’s babysitter if you don’t remember.”

“Ah yes I do. How can I help

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter