Meeting the Neighbour

Towards You

After rolling out of bed, you felt a strong burning sensation in your eyes. Right, I was working on my term paper all night. A discontented sigh left your lips as you walked over to your bedside mirror to run a brush along your long brown hair. Glancing at the clock, you still had about an hour to get to your morning class and fortunately the commute from your apartment to the university wasn’t too long. Thirty minutes (and a very lazy shower later) you grabbed a piece of toast and headed out the door. As you were waiting for the elevator, you noticed a figure approaching you from the corner of your eye.

 

It was him.

 

Turning your body slightly, you gave him a friendly smile, albeit still embarrassed about yesterday. He returned your smile with a greeting and the two of you began to talk.

 

“You said your name was Kim Jongin?” though you already knew the answer. He nodded, and you found it strange that he didn’t ask your name. Soon, however, the elevator arrived on floor 4 and the two of you stepped on together.

 

“I guess you still don’t remember me.” He said, more to himself than anyone else really.

 

“What do you mean?” you asked.

 

He smiled before taking a step in your direction. Instinctively, this caused you to take a step backwards and soon you felt a railing at the small of your back. Conscious of the cold metal, you realized he had backed you into the corner of the elevator. Uncertainty filled your mind as you gazed at his handsome face; full lips, bronze skin, and taut jaw. A light pink hue appeared along your cheeks as you watched his smirk gradually turn into a frown.

 

“Why are you-“

 

Before you could finish your sentence, the boy captured your left hand and brought it up to his face. You flinched at sudden action and the warmth that now lingered with his touch. Confusion and anger overcame you and you found yourself roughly pushing away his hand.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” You stated harshly.

 

He didn’t reply, he just continued gazing into your eyes. It was like he was trying to read you; almost like he was searching for something.

 

You were losing your patience and started to walk away from him when he suddenly placed both of his arms on either side of your head; trapping you in place. Adjusting his body, he somehow manoeuvred himself so that both of your faces were now on the same level. Feeling your heartbeat escalate, you were sure he could see just how red your cheeks had gotten. Sure enough, he smirked, as if he could read your thoughts. Then, he let his right arm fall to his side before reaching over and capturing your hand once more. Bringing it close to his lips, he surveyed the area between your ring finger and pinky.

 

“So it is you” he smiled.

 

Then without another word, Jongin began moving his thumb in gentle circles around your ring finger, leaving you dazed and confused. You caught yourself staring at his full lips that were a light shade of pink; you couldn’t deny that this man was strikingly beautiful. Though you felt as if you were no longer conscious, your lips began to form soundless words, desperate to know just what the hell was going on.

 

Ding

 

Startled at the sound of the elevator doors opening, you turned to see an elderly couple who were looking at the two of you bizarrely. Your eyes met Jongin’s, whose hand you noticed was still firmly placed in yours. Embarrassment washed over you and you slipped your hand from his grasp, glancing at your awaiting neighbours who impatiently stood and watched. After giving one last look to Jongin, you promptly walked off

 

 

✥✥✥✥

 

 

 

The warm spring breeze was blowing through your hair as you waited at the train station. Usually, you either had a book in your hand or read your lecture notes on your phone to pass the time, but today you couldn’t focus.

 

What did he mean by ‘so it is you’? Have we met before? 

 

Why can’t I remember?

 

You were sure that he wasn’t in any of your classes, you would’ve remembered.  But, maybe you had met him once before? He did seem familiar.

 

His smile is familiar... like a boy I used to-

 

Your head suddenly shot up and you froze at the realization. He couldn’t be the Kim Jongin you knew in middle school… could he? The Kim Jongin who went by the name ‘Kai’, the Kim Jongin you’d spend your weekend and summers with.

 

The first boy you lost your heart to.

 

 

 


A/N

Hello there! nice to meet you. Let me know in the comments where you come from! I'm from Canada as you can tell :)