Love In The Mist ( to MusicMyLove)

Dreams In A Cloud

Finally! I got my rhythm back!!! This story is for the AWESOME MusicMyLove! Hope you ENJOY :)

Characters: Kim Jaejoong. Mayumi

Foreword:

Letting go is never an easy thing to do. Tears, blood, and sorrow drowns the hearts of those who need to watch their beloved slowly walk away. Like a butterfly, a love needs to flourish and experience hardships to be strengthened. Jaejoong has always had the better part of life. Money, luxury, and love, he enjoyed life's finest. But as he wakes up one day and finds an empty space beside him, how will he rise from the ashes that used to be his life?

--

" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"

The loud, desperate scream of a girl deafened the silence of the dark alley. A loud crash rang and all was quiet once again. The bloody image of a man and a woman appeared as a crowd gathered among the smoke and debris that the crash left. Shards of glass was scattered around the red car. The crowd's hushed voices became louder as light was shown through the cracked glass of the windshield. Gasps drowned the curious stares of the people.

" Somebody call the police! Ambulance! Anybody!"

The loud voice of frantic woman finally broke the soft buzzing of the crowd. She ran to the middle of the crowd. Shortly after, the screech of the police and an ambulance siren, drove the crowd away from the frozen image before them. The medics went to work at once, breaking the jammed door to retrieve the frail, broken bodies. The bodies were laid on stretchers as they were wheeled to the ambulance.  

The ambulance cruised off and all that was left were the blood-drenched car and the police. The watching eyes of the crowd stared as the police looked for the cause of the accident. The crowd was frozen as if holding their breaths for the discovery. Some of them were wide-eyed as one of the police picked up a diamond necklace from the passenger’s seat. The gleaming diamonds did not lose its elegance despite the grueling presence of blood, covering it. He placed it inside a clear bag for possible evidence.

HOSPITAL

“Code! Code BLUE!”

The doctor’s voice shook as the cold metal made contact with the girl’s body. The beeping of the monitor did not seize, embedding its sound to the ears. He tried once again and the only response earned was the violent rising of her chest from the electric charge that ran through her body. It was all in vain, they were too late. A shard of glass cut through her ribs, puncturing her heart. The surgery was successful but the loss of blood and the heart’s weak response took away her life. The doctor dropped his hands to his sides as he set the defibulators back to its place.  He looked at his watch, the monitor was still beeping.

“Time of death, 11:10 P.M. We were too late.”

The nurse took down the time and watched the doctor turn away to deliver the sorrowful news.

The room next door was quiet, more peaceful that the one he just left. There, through the glass window, he saw the broken, gauze-covered body of the man with Mayumi in the accident. He watched as his chest rose up and down, steadily breathing. A wave of sympathy rushed through him as he watched the man, Jaejoong. How will he cope with the loss of his wife? How will he rise when he knows the woman of his life will forever remain as part of the ground? He sighed as questions of pain pinched his heart. This is arguably the hardest part of his career, knowing that you couldn’t help everybody, knowing that you would have to give up on somebody, knowing that as you failed; a life is shattered, burned into ashes. He would have to wait to deliver the news. He wasn’t ready.

TWO WEEKS LATER

“ Mr. Kim, how are you feeling?”

A man in white appeared in front of his newly-opened eyes. He squinted as they adjusted to the sudden burst light and color. The bandages were now removed from his face, no scars were visible. He nodded, unable to speak. He heard the doctor heave a heavy sigh and confusion took over him.

“ Is there anything wrong? Is Mayumi safe?”

He asked, forcing his voice to escape from his dry lips.

He watched intently, unable to understand the grim expression on the doctor’s face. Then suddenly, it dawned on him.

“ No. It can’t be.”

He whispered softly enough for it to only be heard by himself.

“ Mr. Kim, I’m very sorry to tell you that Ms. Mayumi did not survive the accident. She’s gone. We were too late. Too much blood was lost as well as her heart’s weak response to the surgery. A shard of glass pierced through her heart. We could not save her.”

It took him a while to process the painful words that rushed from the doctor’s lips. His eyes were blank, frozen, as if the words that entered his ears were dry eyes. His heart skipped a beat when he realized the bitterness of his wake. She was gone forever, away from his grasp. She has left him.

" NOOO!"

He screamed at the top of his lungs, pulling all the chords and tubes connected to his body. Blood trickled from the back of his hand from the IV tube he pulled. He scrambled out of the bed, falling off. Tears flooded from his eyes as the endless scream escaped from the deepest of his heart. He struggled to stand on his feet, his knees shook, his chest tightened, more blood flowed.

" Mr. Kim, calm down please."

The doctor rushed to him, restraining him. He held a syringe in his hand, tranquilizer.  The nurses assisted him, pinning Jaejoong down, his muffled screams still echoing through the whole room.

" NO! NO! You're lying. She told you to do this, didn't she? She's quite the joker you know? You're lying. She can't be dead."

His voice suddenly weakened into a whisper as the effects of the medicine immediately worked its magic. His palms were sweaty, they shook with violence together with his whole body. Looking through his eyes, you will see his world, his life crumble. His heavy eyes reflected his pain, his sadness that he tried to mask with his giggles, laughs that were almost menacing, psychopathic.

" You're lying."

His voice was slowly drowned as the medicine took its full effect. He fell asleep, with his cheeks still damp from his bitter tears. His chest rose in a steady rhythm, contradicting the crazy beat his heart produced. His lips were cracked, dry just like his throat. Back on his bed, the doctor and the staff left his room, with the doctor stealing one last look at Jaejoong's face. His eyes screamed pity as he watched the young man struggle with the devastating news he had to deliver.

--------------

" Mayumi? Are you there?"

He walked in an endless field covered with a thick mist. A wide lake was located in the middle of his point of view.  

He heard bells, rustling, a soft humming voice.

" Mayumi?"

He called out once again, moving closer to the water. There, he saw a faint silhouette of a woman, wearing a dress as it created waves of fabric from the whistling of the wind.

" Right here, Jaejoong."

Her sweet voice rang in his ears, making him smile. He rushed to her only to find the lake separating the two of them. The mist was thinner where he is now and he can clearly see the face of the woman in front of him. It was her, it was Mayumi, his heart, his love, his angel. She smiled, spreading her arms as if to welcome her lover.

" Mayumi!"

He yelled at her, making her smile wider.

He blinked and found that she was gone from where she was. His heart started to beat faster. Where has she gone? He looked around, rummaging through the plants and the mist that seemed to grow thicker as he searched for her further. Suddenly, he felt a soft touch lay against his hand.

" AAAH!"

He screamed, immediately shaking it off.

" Jaejoong, it's me."

As if on cue, the mist mysteriously disappeared, revealing Mayumi's immaculate image in front of his eyes.

He grabbed the hand, afraid of what might happen if he let go. His grip tightened as he drew her closer to him so that the tips of their noses touched each other. Her sweet breath intoxicated him, bringing him to ecstacy. He brought his hand to her face, caressing it, feeling every part of it. She let out a sigh from the sensation he gave her.

" Jaejoong, you have to be strong."

Her voice was soft, almost melodic.

" As long as you're by my side, I'll be the strongest man in the world."

He said, with his hand still roaming over every detail of her face.

" But Jaejoong, I have to go. You have to let me go."

With her words, his hand froze.

The beat of his heart picked up its frantic pace once again. Memories of the accident started rushing through his head. The blood, the screams, the wounds, her terrified face, they all came back to him.

" No it can't be. You're alive! No! You can't leave."

He struggeld to release his words as the tears choked him.

" Honey, I have to leave. My mission is finished."

" What about me? How am I supposed to live the rest of my life?"

His hand dropped to his side. It was now her turn to touch his face, she caught every tear that fell as if it was as precious as the moon's tears.

" I want you to live your life without any restrictions. My mission was to release you from the chain of your past. Now that your heart is free, now that you can stand alone, I will have to return to where I belong. My love, I will always be looking over you."

His knees buckled, he collapsed to the grass. Mayumi fell with him, breaking his fall. He sobbed into her shoulder.

" Why did you come, then? Why did you come and made me fall for you when you know you'll leave me eventually? Why did you fix me just to break me even worse? Why, jagiya? Why?"

He asked her, pouring his frustrations into her.

" Jaejoong, I did it because I felt that it would be worth it. I felt that coming down from heaven to help you was worth it, that the love that we will share was worth the tears we will shed. I never wanted to leave you, Jaejoong because I, myself grew to love you. Love you to the point where I questioned my own purpose of existing. I love you to the extent where I wished to have never met you, knowing that I will hurt you in the end. Please don't hate me."

She said, her own tears now glittered as they fell from her serene face. Pain was overflowing as their chests heaved from despair.

" Mayumi, I love you. I love you, please take me with you! Don't leave me."

He said, gripping her waist closer to his.

" Jaejoong, I love you. Please, you have to let me go. I need to go. I don't want to go."

She said finally succumbing to her resistance. She never wanted to leave, but it's too late now. The show was over, the pleasure, the applause, the standing ovation, they're all over.

They stayed in their position, intertwined for the longest time they could remember. Every breath, every blink of an eye, every tear, they witnessed it. Every beat of their hearts screamed the sorrow they felt. She shifted, bells chimed as if signalling something to happen. She moved, but Jaejoong's arms tightened, restraining her movement.

" It's time."

She whispered into his ear.

" No. How can this happen? Why is this happening? Why me? Why us?"

He cried, following her as she stood on her feet.

She turned away, afraid that if she saw his eyes, her composure that she worked so hard to build will crumble into pieces. Her footsteps were heavy, regret evident in each print it left. He followed her as she paused. He took his chance, he wrapped his arms around her petite waist, drawing her closer to his body. She closed her eyes as her back rested on his chest. This was dangerous, she can't stay any longer or else, she will loose her determination to go back. She may never go back, she didn't want Jaejoong to suffer any longer.

" No, Jaejoong. I have to go. I can't stay beside you any longer."

She turned around and cupped his face. She rose on her toes and gave his lips a last kiss. They savored the moment knowing it was their last. He breathed into her as if it would make a difference, as if it would skew their unfortunate fate, as if it would make her stay. She broke the kiss, a little too soon as Jaejoong thirsted for more.

She turned around, her back facing him. She was surprised to still have the strength to go one. She continued to walk toward the sound of the bells, towards the middle of the misty lake. He stood, unmoving as if his feet was embedded on the ground. All he could do was watch her drift away. He watched as she reached the edge of the water, she stopped. she turned to face him, flashed a vibrant smile, saying goodbye. She went back to her mission, turning away for the last time. Her feet touched the water, she walked over it, she walked on water. He watched in astonishment, his eyes wide with amazement from her feat.

A flash of bright light blinded him. He closed his eyes, and soon it was over. He looked at the lake, ran to its direction, but the mist is gone, her footsteps were washed away, and the bells that drove him crazy was replaced by the deafening sound of silence. He knelt at the edge of the lake, the water soaking his knees. There, he cried, his heart overflowing with sadness. He cried as if he couldn't cry hard enough. She has left him. His angel has finally left him.

-------------------

" Nurse! Nurse! What's happening?"

Her mother gripped her son's shivering hand. She could only watch as his son shivered, his jaws shook, his breathing uneven, his eyes rolling to the back of his head.

" Do something!"

She screamed at the nurse who did all she could to help.

A few seconds later, the doctor appeared. He inserted medicine through his tube and it immediately took effect.

----------------------------- 2 WEEKS LATER--------------------------

" Are you ready Jaejoong?"

" Neh, omma. I'm ready."

He said, getting up from his bed.

She smiled at him, reassuring him that she will never be alone despite Mayumi's departure. She took his hand in hers as they walked out of his hospital room.

" I love you omma."

" I love you too son. I love you too."

She answered, squeezing his hand tighter.

They walked into the lobby and they were greeted by the friendly staff, aware of what he has gone through.

" Uhm, mom you can go ahead to the car. I just want to say thank you to the doctor who took care of us."

" Okay, go ahead son. I'll wait for you in the car then."

He watched her turn and walk away. He smiled at his mother's refined actions.

" Uhm, excuse me. Do you know where Dr. Jung Yunho is? I would like to talk to him."

He asked a nurse. He tapped her shoulder to get her attention.

" Yes?"

She turned.

Jaejoong's eyes grew wide at the sight of the nurse's face.

" Mayumi?"

Her name escaped through his lips.

" Excuse me sir?"

" Oh uhm sorry. Can you take me to Dr. Jung Yunho?"

" Oh of course,sir. Dr. Jung is right over this way. Please follow me."

He was frozen in place, contemplating his feeling. The girl that stood in front of him, why does she look like Mayumi?

" Right here, sir."

She called out to him. He walked to her direction.

" Oh, right."

He said as he followed.

" He's in here. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to call me."

She opened the door for him, bowed, and turned to leave.

" Wait! What's your name?"

He asked the nurse, tugging on her arm before she could walk away.

" Rhia, sir."

She said with a smile, then turned to leave and walked away.

He nodded, releasing her arm.

He entered the office and a welcoming face greeted him.

" Mr. Kim, a pleasure to see you!"

" Hey. Dr. Jung."

" Call me Yunho. Here have a seat."

He motioned him to a seat next to his table.

" No need. I just came to thank you for everything you've done for me and Mayumi."

" It was my pleasure to be of assistance. It is my job after all."

" I'm very thankful, regardless."

" Oh wait Mr. Kim, before you leave."

He said, stacking the last of the files on his table.

" Yes?"

" This came in this morning from the Police Department. I was planning on giving it to you later, but since your here, might as well."

He pulled out a clear bag from his coat pocket.

" Here you go."

Jaejoong's eyes feasted on the diamonds that glittered through the bag. It was Mayumi's locket.

" Thank you again, Yunho."

He said, taking the bag. He bowed and turned to leave.

--

" Jaejoong, that was fast."

His mother said as he opened the door to his car.

" Of course mom, I couldn't keep you waiting for too long, can I?"

She giggled, patting her son's cheek.

" Now go drive, I'm starving."

And with that, they cruised through the gray and blue streams in the busy streets of Seoul.

--

He sat on his bed, playing with Mayumi's locket, tossing it from one hand to the other. Suddenly it dropped to the floor, opening the locket.

He knelt to pick it up, the pendant was cracked open. He marvelled through the scene in front of him. Of all the times he had tried to open this lockt, never did he succeed and now, it lay open in fron of his eyes. A piece of paper rolled from it as he picked it up.

The not said:

"This locket will open only when I have fufilled my mission. I don't have much space, so I'll make it quick. Jagiya, even if I'm not by your side right now, please remember this. Remember that I WILL BE BACK for you. I'll be back to cherish youonce again. Wait for me, arasso?"

                                             Your angel,

                                                            Kim  Mayumi Rhia

He finished reading her fine handwriting. His heartbeat shook his chest, amazed at his discovery.

" Rhia."

He muttered under his breath. Images of the nurse inthe hospital flashed in his mind. He sat in the dimly lit room, the moon providing a stream of silvr light. He looked up, smiling.

" I Love you Kim Mayumi Rhia. I will always love you."

He stood and walked over to the balcony outside his room, overlooking the wide lake. The cold air greeted him as he watched the peaceful waves of the water with a thin layer of mist. He smiled as the moon's reflection appeared. He closed his eyes, recalling the nights they danced together under the silver light, where they danced with the mist emveloping them. He smiled as he remembered their love in the mist.