Unforgettable ( To strawberryjae )

Dreams In A Cloud

This one is for my beloved strawberryjae! Enjoy this creation, honey :)

Characters:

Kim Jaejoong and Jeline

Foreword:

Roses, choclates, and a goodnight kiss. Typical date, right? Jaejoong picked Jeline up from her house, his sweaty palms and deep breath, signals his nervous heart. She opened the door, revealing her imaculate image, innocent and pure. She smiled sweetly as the image of her man welcomed her.

They look like the perfect couple as they roam the busy streets of Seoul, but behind the wide and loving looks in their eyes, an unknown pain envelopes them whenever they part.

--

He woke up before the sun opened its eyes. He got out of bed, rushing to take a shower, immediately. He dressed, put on some perfume and cooked some breakfast. He came back to the long hallway where his room is located. He stood before an intricately detailed, white door. He opened it and the vibrant face of his sleeping wife was the first to catch his eyes. He sighed at her peaceful disposition.

" I love you."

He whispered to her ear, soft enough that it was only audible to his ears. He closed his eyes as he layed his trembling lips against her smooth cheek. As he turned to leave, he stole another glance at her, at his life.

----------------------------FLASHBACK---------------------------

" Mr. Kim, I'm afraid we could not do anything about your wife's case. She's suffering from Retrograde Amnesia, meaning that after the crash, she will not recall anything or will only recall tidbits. This condition is incurable and will have a big chance of worsening as time passes by."

The doctor watched Jejoong's expression as he listened to his words. The man's words that rang in his ears, tore his heart apart.

" Doctor, will she have any trouble remembering me? Even her husband?"

He asked, his lips trembling.

" I'm afraid the answer to that will have to be delayed since the patient is still unconscious. The results will only be complete once she wakes up and and we find out what she does or does not remember."

The doctor answered. His eyes turned to the broken image of his wife.She suffered from great damages from a car crash, hit and run. He wasn't there to be with her and only found out about the wreck through a phone call from the precinct.

The doctor left and he was now alone with his wife in the white room. Tears fell from his eyes as his world crumbled from his discovery. How could this happen to them? Their blooming love wilted even before it had a chance. What was he supposed to do now?

He held her hand, pressing it against his lips. She stirred and opened her eyes. She pulled her hand away from his grip. She stared at him with empty eyes.

" Who are you?"

She asked, fear evident in her eyes.

" It's me. Don't you remember me? I'm Jejoong."

He answered calmly, hiding the frantic beating of his heart.

" Jaejoong, I think I remember you. We work together in the hospital, right?"

He closed his eyes. She remembered him, she knew who he was and that was enough for him. His heart did not slow down at all, since she does not remember the vows they shared as they put a ring onto each other's hands. He looked down to his hand where his wedding ring rested. Her memory of their love has been erased.

He turned to leave the heartbreaking reality that washed over him. He couldn't stand it anymore. He couldn't hold his tears back anymore.

" Wait. Ah! Ah I fell like there's more."

She suddenly exclaimed, reaching out for his hand. Her eyes were pleading.

" Huh? What is it?"

He turned and looked back at her, puzzled.

" You, I remember your lips, your scent. You're Jaejoong, who has held me. You were my love, weren't you?"

She stuttered.

He rushed back to her, catching her outstretched hand.

The night said hello and the two hearts fell asleep next to each other with Jaejoong still holding Jeline's hand.

The next morning came and the bright sun warmed their faces. He stirred, feeling the warmth that both came from Jeline and the sun that signalled another day. He stood and stretched his aching back and watched his wife breath evenly, still sleeping peacefully. He turned to leave.

" Who are you?"

She weakly said as she rubbed her eyes, adjusting to the bright rays that escaped through the windows.

He stared at her, to surprised to talk. His blank stare startled her and her screams could be heard through the room's walls. A group of people in white rushed inside the scream filled room and restrained the frantic girl. Medicine was inserted through her IV tube and she siezed from her struggles at once. Her eyes dropped and she fell back into deep slumber.

" What happened? She remembered me last night. She called me "honey"! Doctor, what the hell is happening?"

He screamed, completely ignoring the fact that he would wake Jeline up.

" Mr. Kim, I warned you about this possibility and I'm afraid it's irreversible. Her case is actually very common. Most patients remember events or occurences that they consider the happiest of their past. And in her situation, she apparently remembers the day you proposed to her. Mr. Kim, this is hard for me to say, but you need to be aware that yesterday's time of the day or whenever the time is similar to your proposal, her memories will temporarilly come back to her. As you witnessed today, after the certain memory she remembered, it will be completely wiped out afterwards and the cycle repeats everyday."

The doctor explained with every detail he could give, that he could comprehend. He's seen it happen before and it breaks his heart to see such a young, blooming love be affected by a very tragic accident.

" Wait, what? So you mean that she will only remember our engagement? So even if I become her friend today, even if I introduce myself today, everything will be gone the next day? Everything will be reset?"

" Yes, that's basically the idea. I'm really sorry Mr. Kim, but her case can only get worse at this stage. In due time, she will forget about her only memory of her past. She will not be able to register anything once she starts forgetting even your proposal. It will be extremely hard, but the only thing we could do is be patient and take care of her as much as possible."

The doctor nodded as he turned around to leave, together with his group.

Jaejoong collapsed on the seat next to her bed. The endless tears that he thought would mnever fall again, made its unwanted presence once again. He thought that these things only happened in dramas, movies, and novels. This type of painful love, he never expected to occur in his life. Why of all people did HE pick him? He asked those questions that will never be answered. He took her pale hand and pressed his trembling lips against the visible veins in her palm. He closed his eyes.

" Jagiya, I love you. I always will. If I have to drop down on my knees everyday, and ask for you hand in marriage, I will. Oh I will. Flowers, chocolates, gifts, I guarantee you that you will live the happiest days of your life everyday, as long as I'm around."

With his eyes still closed, he whispered a last bid of farewell to her ear. He turned around and left his shattered heart in her hands. He promised her happiness, even if it would only last for a day. He vowed to make the rest of her days unforgettable.

----------------------------------END OF FLASHBACK---------------------------------

He started the car's engine and it produced a soft purr, calming his insides. Today was the 50th  proposal. He sighed as he realized how long he has been fulfilling her everyday wishes. 50 introductions, and 50 "will you marry me's". He smiled to himself seeing how far he's gone. He was satisfied by how the thinbgs have been going. He was satisfied of the limited happiness he feels everyday when he hears her sweet 'yes' over again.

He cruised through the gray and green shadows of Seoul. According to her diary that he has kept since the accident, she was expecting a night of magic. A night of wonder. He knew the right place to find all his needs. He parked the car in front of a small store: Donghae's Magic Shop. He smiled at the friendly customer who held the door for him. He bowed in respect as the friendly stranger turned around to leave.

" Donghae? Yo, Fishy! You here?"

He gasped in surprise as his unusual friend appeared in fron of him with a 'boo'.

" Yo, Jaejoong. What brings you here to my humble shop?"

" I need you to teach me magic."

Jaejoong announced as he recovered from his shock. His friend chuckled to his request.

" Uhm. Just in case you're not aware, you and magic don't do well together. Have you seen how clumsy you are? What is it for, anywways?"

" Come on, man. I need to learn."

" Oh wait, let me guess. Is it for Jeline? Jaejoong - shi, how long will you be able to keep everything inside of you? I know you love her, but I hate seeing you like this. You know it's only gonna get harder. I know I don't sound like a really good friend right now but I want to see my friend happy."

Donghae smiled as he layed his hand on the arm of his long-time friend.

" But I am happy, Donghae. As long as I can see her smile for me, I'm the happiest man in the world. Now go teach me some magic already."

Jaejoong said as he took Donghae's hand and pulled him to a table with a pile of magic equipment.

" So where do you want to start?"

He asked.

" I think we should start with something that is child friendly. Let's avoid fire or pointy stuff shall we?"

Donghae smiled slyly as he handed Jaejoong a stack of cards.

" NO! I don't want to learn this! It's not romantic! I wana do something with flowers."

" Woah, woah, wait. Aren't you the one asking for a favor? Why so pushy? But I do agree with you, buddy, cards are unromantic. Well, I guess I could find you something of your liking."

He watched his friend leave for the storage room to search for something that suits the situation.

Jaejoong waited, looking around the different magic equipment. There were cards, dominoes, rings, and boxes. He heard rustling from the room where Donghae entered. He stepped closer to the door, but it opened right before him, revealing a dusty Donghae, carrying a dusty, red box. He coughed from the mist that the dust formed as his friend shook the box.

" Here, I think these will work. You want flowers right? Here, practice with these first."

Donghae handed him the box and as he opened it, a red plastic rose, a wand and a white handkerchief was revealed.

" What the heck is this? Dude, are you gonna help me with this?"

" Of course man, I don't want the fire to burn your hand now, would I?"

Jaejoong gulped at the word 'fire', he never was good at working when flammable objects are around.

" Fire?"

He stuttered.

" Yeah man, it's the easiest I could find for you and still look romantic. The rose will appear from the fire at the tip of the wand, understand?"

Donghae explained.

"Wait, so what's the hanky for?"

" Oh that..... well, that's for putting out the fire just in case it burns you."

Donghae simply said as he watched the mortified look on Jaejoong's face. He tried to keep himself from laughing, but as a giggle escaped from his lips, endless chuckles filled the room.

" Dude, relax. I was kidding alright? The hanky is for hiding the rose. I know you well enough to not give you any dangerous stuff especially when around my cousin."

With that, the magic training commenced. He dropped, burned hisfingers, and bled. The cycle continued. Today was going to be a long day as Donghae's cuckles still vibrated around every corner of the store.

--

Jeline stirred as the calming rays of sunshine escaped through her window. Today was another blur to her, as usual. She made her way downstairs, her steps barely audible.

" You know, I think Mr. Jaejoong is one of the greatest man I have ever met in my life. Ms. Jeline is so lucky to have him."

A maid told her companion as they cleaned the kitchen.

" You're right. I can't imagine a man ever doing anything like that for me. After the accident, he's been all over the place. Everytime he proposes to her, I can't help but cry out of sadness for the both of them. Sometimes, I just hope that for some odd reason, Ms. Jeline's memory would just come back so all of this could end. I hate seeing the both of them suffering especially Mr. Jaejoong."

Jeline listened in on the conversation, her heart beating frantically in response to her discovery. Jaejoong? She gripped the edge of the wall to support her weight as a flood of memories rushed through her head. Images of Jaejoong and his piercing brown eyes, the sensation of his lips against hers, the touch of his warm hand, they all returned to her. Her eyes was filled with tears as she recalled the accident, her situation. She collapsed on the floor, holding her head between her trembling hands. How could she forget about her life, her only love? How could she forget about Jaejoong? Her cries filled the house and at once, the maids rushed to her aid. She wept as she held the diamond ring that rested on her finger.

" Are you alright, Ms. Jeline? Do you need me to call a doctor?"

One of the maids asked as she supported her to the couch.

" No, uhm. Could you get me a pen and notebook, please?"

She said as her words were slightly slurred from the hiccups that involuntarily escaped her lips.

The maid hurried at once to get what she needed.

" How? How could this happen? Oh, my Jaejoong. "

Her tears flowed once again as she said her husband's name. She closed her eyes at the mere thought of him suffering for her, for something that she had no control over. The maid returned with a pen and a notebook. Jeline began to write everything she has discovered, every memory that reunited with her. She wrote them all down, she needed to. The maids quietly watched as their beloved maiden struggled to write and wipe her tears at the same time. Not one of them dared to move, as if everything revolved around the weeping image before their eyes, as if one single movement could cause the revolution to fall apart.

" Where's Jaejoong - shi?"

She asked.

The maids looked at her in utter surprise to the fact that Jeline remembered her husband, her past.

" Oh uhm, he usually leaves at this hour. He never tells us where he goes, but instead, tells us to take care of you until he comes back."

The girl closest to her answered. She had an earnest sincerity in her voice as she explained.

" Ms. Jeline, is everything alright? Do you remember everything now?"

The girl was brave to ask the question.

Slowly, a gentle smile crept up on Jeline's face as she nodded, yes. She knew this was temporary, that every single thing she remembered today will all be gone once she opens her eyes tomorrow.

She prepared herself to the only definite memory she has. She prepared for Jaejoong's proposal.

--

" Aish! Hyung you don't swirl the wand when the fire's lit, you're gonna burn you hand doing that! You swirl it before the fire comes out, not the other way around."

Donghae repeated the instructions for the 10th time today as Jaejoong dropped the wand, holding his finger that caught contact with the fire.

" Man, why is magic too hard?"

He muttered to himself as he bent down to pick up the want from the floor.

He has been working on the same trick for hours now, and he did not improve from when he started. He was starting to get impatient, which made everything worse.

" Here, I'll do it one more time. Watch closely, I'll do it slower."

Donghae said, taking the black wand from Jaejoong.

" Okay, You start by swirling the wand like this. Then, you put the hanky over the tip and hold it in place with your hand. Okay, now, theres a hole in the middle of the fabric, remember? You pass the tip of the wand through and you press this button here to turn on the fire. You take the hanky and pull it down. You flip it over the fire, not too close, then press the button again to release the rose. Got it?"

Donghae showed the steps one by one as Jaejoong watched, completely engrossed with the process.

" So I missed the hole part."

" Hyung, we both know that's not the only step you missed."

Donghae shook his haed as he handed the wand back to Jaejoong. He eagerly reached for it and started the process, slowly.

Jaejoong focused while Donghae tried to control his laughter from his friend's expression.

" Hyung, you did good this time, but please don't make that face when you do it for real."

" Oh, sorry."

They both laughed.

Jaejoong left after saying his gratitude towards his trusted friend. He wished him luck. He left the store with a wide smile on his face. Now, on to phase two.

He reached his car, thinking about tonight. Little did he know, that this time, the surprise will be geared towards him.

--

" I need to make this special."

She said to herself as she took over the kitchen. She started cooking the dishes that Jaejoong loved, all that she was able to remember. It was her turn to take care of him, even for just one day.

" Ms. Jeline, are you sure you don't want us to help? We could help with setting up the dining table."

One of her maids offered, but she declined it with a sincere smile.

--

" Mr. Jaejoong, you're back! "

The butler exclaimed as he opened the door for him.

He bowed in respect.

" Is Jeline ready? Is she all dressed up? Is everything set?"

" Well, uhm, about that....."

" What? What's wrong?"

Jaejoong asked, startled from the man's expression.

Suddenly, a cheerful voice came from behind the old man's worried face.

" Jaejoong! "

Jeline appeared in front of his eyes, wearing the same dress of their engagement day. His eyes widened at the sight he has not seen for months since the accident that brought his unfortunate fortune.

He was frozen at the doorstep as he felt her warm, slender arms wrap around his waist. He looked at the old man with gleaming eyes. Was this really happening? He asked himself as his hands slowly rose to caress Jeline's .

" Did you miss me, jagiya?"

She asked, as she stood on her toes to meet his eyes.

He couldn't speak. He was speechless as she dragged him inside the dimly lit house. He felt like he was dreaming, a dream that he never wanted to wake up from. They walked a trail of light as their footsteps echoed through the tiled hall of the grand house.

" Jeline. How? This......you remember?"

" Of course, Jaejoong - shi. About time don't you think?"

She said as they stood holding each other.

" But how?"

He managed to release the words that have been building up in his throat.

" Actually, that doesn't matter now. I remember everything."

His reply was stuck in his throat. He simply nodded, abandoning the effort of his words.

" Even if the sun sets and leaves us with endless cold, I will stay beside you. When the night draws and drowns us in darkness, I will hold you. My soft whispers will envelope the heart that you have given to me. My love, this I promise you. I will not say the usual, I will not say "till death do us part" , because to me, you're unforgettable. Unforgettable to the point where your face will be the only image in my mind when we cross the line. I love you, always."

He watched as her red lips formed the words of her vows on their wedding day. The tears he's been holding back finally escaped without his senses. She was saying her vows, holding his hand tight against her heart. It was all too much for him. His feeling overpowered the little control he had left in his body. He shook his hand away from her grip and took her in his strong arms. He covered her with a tight embrqace filled with longing and fulfillment. He has waited for this day to come, he was willing to wait.

" I take your hand in mine today and my world will revolve around you. I will love you until you say it's enough. I love you and will always will. The sweet flower of your existence, I will never let it wilt for as long as I'm breathing, I will take care of you. I will be here to watch you grow in beauty, show you all things you mean to me. We'll be together. This hand I hold will never see pain, will never see tears because not even death can stop me from loving you."

He whispered his own vows to her ear. Her face was buried into his shoulder. He felt hot tears flood from her eyes, soaking his sleeve. The feeling of her heart beating was enough to send his consciousness into overdrive.

They stood in the middle of the room not aware of the time remaining in their hands. They swayed to the music that only existed in the steady rhtythm of their hearts. Her eyes closed, his arms tight around her, they never wanted it to end. Time was once again, coming back with its cruel nature. The clock strikes 12. It's finished.

He felt Jeline stiffen in his grip. She pulled away abruptly, causing her to loose her balance. She stumbled but did not fall. Jaejoong was frozen as he could not let go of tonight's memories. It was over, her memories are once again, blank.

" Who are you? Why am I here? Who am I?"

Jaejoong stared at her in shock as her las words imprinted in is mind. " Who am I?", she asked.

" No, it can't be."

He whispered softly, his words only audible to his ears.

Realization struck him. The damage process starts today. The doctor's words rang in his ear, deafening him. He was lost in his own thought. It starts tonight. He fell to his knees, unable to support the body that just seconds ago, felt so strong with love. He looked up to the frightened image of the inncoent girl that stood, shaking in front of him.

" Answer me. Who am I?"

The girl, now unknown to him, screamed.

His remaining strngth forced him to his feet. He held her tight against his heart, hoping for a miracle. A miracle that somehow, his heartbeat will bring a flood of memories to her. Sadly, the truth of real life does not consider suffering. If its fate, it will ruin, crush everything in its path. He could do nothing but to hold the girl in his arms. She struggled, kicking and screaming against him.

The people outside the room were startled of the loud screams in the room. The man, the butler was the one to come to Jaejoong's aid. The pitiful image of the boy he loved as his own showered his heart. He cried at the sight of him suffering.

" Shhhh. You're safe. Don't you remember me?"

Jaejoong urged himself to speak, but his words where drowned by Jeline's constant screams.

The old man rushed to the couple's side. Jaejoong looked into his eyes and he understood that the time has come.

" I will call the doctor immediately."

He turned around. leaving Jaejoong once again.

Jeline struggled unrelentlessly. beating against Jaejoong's chest. He did not feel the pain from her fists, he felt the pain from knowing that their situation will only hurt more every time another day comes.

--

" Mr. Kim, the worst we've been fearing has come. Her ability to store any previous or new memories is rapidly deteriorating."

The doctor said as he gave Jeline some tranquilizers.

The wave of medicine washed over her senses causing her to collapse and lean against Jaejoong's chest.

" I understand."

He nodded, still holding Jeline's frail body in his arms. The doctor left the room.

He was exhausted, too tired from all the struggle today. He looked at his bandaged hands and couldn't help but smile.

" I guess my magic will have to wait tomorrow, neh?"

He whispered to her ear, her breathing was steady and soft snores escaped from her lips.

He swiftly stood, carrying her bridal style to their room. He looked at her pale face as he held her. His life, his love, his memories, they were all reflected on her serene face. He had to accept the fact that he'll forever be erased in her memories.

" Jagiya, I will never let you go."

He set her on their bed and suddenly, a white notebook fell with a thump on the floor. He looked at it, hesitant as it opened to the middle, he saw Jeline's handwritings.

He picked it up, reading the scribbles, reading her words.

Hey, Jaejoong-shi! Well, I guess it's time, neh?

Don't cry! I don't want a cry baby beside me!

Today, I hope I gave you happy memories. I want you to keep those memories for me, arasso?

I want you to keep the memories that made you smile because I know I don't have that ability anymore.

I'm sorry I cause so much pain everyday. I can't help it.

Kiss me goodnight, hold me tightly as if it's always the last chance.

I love you and I'm sorry.

Don't be sad becuase you're unforgettable.

No matter how many times I have to fall in love with you, I will never regret them.

No matter how many times I cry in forn tof you, I hope you wipe my tears away.

I know I'm selfish for not letting you go, but always know this,

Even if you leave my side now, I vow to make you happy.

I'll set you free.

He read her words. The tears that never stopped falling flowed stronger. He hugged the notebook close to his heart. He sobbed without noticing the eyes that bpre on his back. She was wide awake, watching the angelic man weeping before her eyes. She could not explain the feeling. She can't remember anything, but as she looked at the man before her, her heart fluttered, escaping her chest. She unconsciously lifted her hand to his face. He froze at the touch of her hand.

" Unforgettable."

She whispered before her heavy eyelids covered her sorrowful eyes.

He watched as her hand dropped to her side as she fell into a peaceful slumber. He accepted the challenge. Her last word reverberated in his ears and he promised to himself to keep her happy. Not leaving her side, he vowed to make her everyday unforgettable.