Chapter 4

The Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                            

 

 

 

"Jesus", Dong Chul's voice came from behind her. "What did that tree ever do to you?"

Eun smirked and took a sip of the water bottle he had brought her. Dong Chul grinned back and ruffled her hair while they both sat down.  The forest was quiet and soothing around them, the sound of birds singing calming Eun down. Dong Chul's presence also seemed to always make her relax - he was so fun and easy to be around. 

Dong Chul had changed into his training clothes too and as he laid himself down on the ground Eun used the chance to study him. 

Dong Chul was closest to a best friend Eun ever had so it felt wrong to admire him but there was no denying the fact that he was attractive.

It was a wonder why he had been single all this time with his black fluffy hair and deep almost black eyes. There was nothing wrong with his body either. With years of training he'd gotten himself a nice toned figure.

"Get up!" Eun said at him. "We have to get back to training." 

Dong Chul groaned and took the hand she offered and let her pull him up.

Side to side they made their way back to the insitute and maybe, if they had looked back they would have seen a big brown wolf watching them.

 

 


They were in a conference hall.

There was a large round table, filled with dozens of hunters, all arrived from all over the country and all discussing the matter of the new wolves, still to be catched.

Ki Moon was sitting on the head of the table, as the leader was supposed to, and Eun was beside her as the daughter. Dong Chul was at the other side of the table next to Jae Ho, one of the head hunters and then there were the others all looking at Eun's and his dad's direction.

A few hunters were still eyeing Eun suspsiciously. They didn't trust Eun's abilities to hunt - she was a woman after all. She held her postition proudly while lifting her chin up.

Ki Moon gave them a look. Eun held in a smile. It was obvious he was irritated by his men's suspicions.

"We have to keep our eyes open for any suspicious act. Attacks, strange movements... We have to know if the wolves are dangerous." Ki Moon spoke.

A hunter from Jeju snorted - Eun had always thought of them as the cocky type.

"That's nonsense. All the wolves are dangerous." he muttered, deserving an angry glare from Eun Mi.

"Not all of them are. You should know that since you're a hunter." Eun snapped.

Ki Moon put a hand on top of his daughter's thigh as if to make her relax.

Eun saw Dong Chul roll his eyes on the other side of the table and could see him mouth the words: "Such a dramaqueen."

"Do you have any ideas, Eun Mi?" another guy from the Jeju force asked, raising a brow, obviously trying to defend his friend.

Eun smiled smugly. "I do, actually."

She had been thinking about this for a while and was glad to be given the opportunity to share her idea to such large amount of hunters.

"I think we should let them be for a while." she said, already expecting the gasps and looks of mockery but she brushed them aside. "Lure them out. We've never tried this out before - we just attack them straight without knowing their motives."

Eun had disliked the wolves for many years too. They murdered her mother. But she had many chances to observe them and their moves. She even admired them sometimes.

Not all of them were bad and murderous. Not all of them attacked humans. And she had grown sick of killing the innocent ones. It was time to make a change.

"Think about what we do. We kill. They're not fully humans, they are mutations, I get it but not all of them are bad. Some are innocent, just like most of us." she spoke as she stood up, walking around the room, making eye contact with people.

"Are we any better than them? We kill, too. And there hasn't even been human kills for at  least two years so why do we just go and kill them? Because that's what we have been trained to do. That's what we are used to." Finally, she faced his father, who looked as uncertain as the others.

"I know some of us hold a grudge against them." she spoke gently, thinking about her mother. "I do, too."

"But I think it's time for a change. What harm is in trying? If there will be more human kills we can just go back to the old routine." she spoke.

One of the hunters snorted. "That's stupid. What do you know? You're a woman..."

Eun clenched her fists together behind her back.

Another one nodded. "Yep. She propably doesn't even know how to fight properly."

Dong Chul shot an alarmed glare towards Ki Moon who looked just as puzzled.

"We don't trust you." the head hunter of Jeju Island said with a snarky smile.

Eun narroved her eyes.

"Surely you had no problems trusting my mom, huh?" she asked.

The Jeju guy snorted. "Yeah and look what happened to her."

"Kyung!" Ki Moon growled his name.

That one got to her. She slammed her fists against the table making everyone go guiet.

"Well at least she could protect her child." she hissed and saw him flinch.

She recalled back at the time two years ago when Kyung's son was still alive. There had been an accident where he had failed to protect his own son on a hunting trip and he got killed.

With that she stormed out of the room, immediately regretting the words that had left .

 

 

 

Eun ran trough the forest.

She didn't know where she was running to - she just had to get away.

After everything that had happened today, this was the last straw. It was all too much. For all these years she had remained unbreakable. Her image was starting to crack. Something was changing her, moving her. She felt feelings she hadn't felt before.

The one she hated and feared the most was weakness.

She couldn't allow herself to be weak. It would be the end of her.

She wished her mom would be here to help her. She always knew what to say and do. 

She felt like there was so much on her shoulders to carry. All these responsibilities. She needed to take care of her dad, she needed to protect the human race, she needed to keep on her image and to never let it crack. With so many people looking up to you and watching your every single move you had to be extra careful. Eun knew people had issues with her. They didn't think she was cut up for being a hunter so she had to make them think differently.

So she ran. For this one selfish moment she allowed herself to be free.

Just herself and the forest around her.

Sweat was lining up on her body and her hair was flying behind her, getting stuck to branches but she kept going.
She kept going even when her legs were shaking and she felt like there was no air in her lungs to breathe and she felt like she was suffocating.
Eun didn't know how much time had passed - a few hours maybe - when her legs couldn't carry her anymore and she collapsed to the ground, scratching her knee against a rock.

She laid down on her back and breathed heavily, her chest rising up and down.

After a while she opened her eyes. It was dusky out here and fog started to appear slowly.

She felt her knee start to throb painfully and she pulled herself up to sit and checked it.

"Crap..." she mumbled. A long line of blood had started to fall down from her knee against her leg.

It looked like she needed a couple of bandages and she definitely needed to clean the cut so she got up and looked around.

She didn't know where she was.

She sighed. Okay. She got this. I mean it's not like she was lost, right? In the forest she knew better than her own pockets?

After a while of searching for the route she had to admit that she was, in fact lost.

"How did this happen?" she muttered and rubbed her forehehead. The blood kept falling down her leg and her legs still felt wobbly after all the running.

She checked the pockets of her black sweatpants. She didn't have her phone. What was she going to do?

Suddenly her body went completely still. She sharpened her hearing. She could swear she'd just heard a low growl from somewhere near. She forced herself to calm down. She didn't have her gun or any other weapon with her. How could she have been so stupid? The forest was full of wolves this time of the night.

Sure, she was one hell of a fighter but there was no way she would survive without any weapon against a large wolf which knew how to kill with just it's teeth.

" ", she whispered to herself. She looked around her again. She had to start moving to some direction or she'd definitely get herself killed.
She started off to the left. She felt like someone was following her but she brushed it off - she was propably just being paranoid.

She hated worrying her dad and Dong Chul but for now she had to ignore all those thoughts and focus on getting back to the institute. She didn't even know what time it was-

There was a loud crack of a branch behind her. Her heartbeat thundered up. .

"Is someone out there?"

Her voice started to get alarmed when she ran again. She was dead tired and the cut in her knee didn't do much help.

Her stomach growled. Eun had barely eaten anything today and all this running was no good for an empty stomach.

Relief filled her stomach when she saw a big house in the middle of the forest. She fastened her speed and ran up to the front porch. Sweaty and out of breath she started to bang the door.

"Is someone there?" she shouted.

After a while of shouting and banging the door finally opened.

"Thank God!" she almost sank to her knees. "There's a-"

She stopped. Somehow she had expected some old man to live here but the man in front of her was nothing but old. He was in his twenties - his hair was brown and his face was a little roundish but still very attractively curved. His body was well built and his brown eyes looked at her strangely.

"Is there something I can help you with?" he asked, voice friendly but a little alarmed.

Eun was so relieved she almost cried. "I- I got lost and I really need to-"

Suddenly her vision started to get blurry and she felt herself falling backwards.

 

 


Baekhyun hurried to open the door since everyone else was out in the woods, running for fun and he had to stay and watch the house since you never knew what kind of a creep tried to break in.

He was just about to relax in front of the TV when there was a lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter