Chapter 13

The Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun stood nervously outside of a small and cozy coffee shop he was supposed to be sitting at in about five minutes.

He couldn't remember the last time he was this nervous. And over such a stupid thing at that.

Well, not stupid. Minjung wasn't stupid, actually far from that.

Minjung. The girl she'd met a few weeks back at a grocery store. The one he'd oh-so-embarrasingly asked Eun Mi of all people to help her with. Yeah. Her.

After going on that one date with her, Baekhyun found himself even more smitten with her. He didn't know what was so special about her that he couldn't get her out of his head.

And to make matters worse, she was human. Which meant it could never work out between them.

But amidst all the craziness happening around him, with the murder of the schoolgirl and a random werewolf pack posing as a threath, he selfishly granted himself this one thing that allowed him to feel somewhat normal.

Even if just for the time he spent with her.

He needed this.

So he opened the door to the coffee shop with a clink of a bell on top of it and stepped inside.

He looked around and let his eyes wander across the tables until he spotted a light haired, beautiful girl waving at him.

"Baekhyun! Here!" her bubbly voice called him and almost on command his legs moved to her direction, just craving to be in the same space as her.

"Hi!" he exlaimed before mentally noting that he needed to calm down. And lower your goddamn voice.

"I mean, hi." he repeated himself, this time an octave lower.

Way to go, buddy.

"Did you order already?" he tried changing the subject, later wanting to hit himself flat out across the face, realizing that of course not since this was a date and he was supposed to be the one paying.

You know what, stop talking. Just shut your big mouth and let her do the speaking.

Minjung didn't seem to notice Baekhyun's internal struggles and just smiled happily at him. "No, I waited for you. What do you want? I'll have an ice latte."

Baekhyun couldn't take his eyes off of her.

She was just the most beautiful thing he'd ever laid eyes on. She was sitting there with her long blonde hair flowing around, embracing her heart-shaped face. Her brown eyes were looking at him curiously while she was saying something with her soft, glossy lips.

Saying something...

"Baekhyun? What do you want to drink?" Minjung asked with a funny look on her face.

"Oh, right. I- Umm, I'll just have the same", he said with a nervous laughter escaping his mouth.

Stupid. Just plain stupid.

Baekhyun exited the table to go make the order and then returned back as they sat and waited.

"Soo... How have you been since we last met?" Minjung asked, cupping her face with her small hands.

Baekhyun couldn't help the stupid smile forming on his lips just from looking at her.

"Good. There's some problems at home but good apart from that", he spoke somewhat truthfully.

Minjung frowned her brows together. "Why? What happened?" she asked innocently.

Baekhyun hesitated. Obviously he couldn't tell her the truth but why not improvise a little?

"Well, since you asked... Did you hear about the murder that happened a while ago?"

Minjung nodded, her expression darkening. Baekhyun hated that he caused the light go out of her face.

"The victim was from a school that Se- Umm, my brother goes to."

"Oh no! That's terrible! He must be a mess", Minjung replied, sympathy filling her voice.

Baekhyun made a humming sound. "They weren't that close. But we're trying to be there for him the best we can. My other brothers and I", he went on, a pleased look on his face when Minjung looked at him with admiration.

"That must be hard for you, how are you holding up?" she wondered.

Baekhyun let out a dramatic sigh. "It gets a little stressful sometimes, but you know me, I'd do anything for my brothers..."

"Speaking of your brothers..." Minjung began as the waitress delivered their drinks to them. She continued her sentence after thanking her. "How many of those do you have?"

Baekhyun momentarily froze at that. Is five too much? It is, maybe a little. Should I make Suho the mom? Then what about the dad?

"There's three of us boys. Our mom and dad had a hard time with us, growing up and all", he let out a laugh when an image flashed through his head. Sorry Kyungsoo, looks like you're the daddy.

Baekhyun liked the fact that Minjung seemed like she was genuinely interested in hearing about his background.

He liked it. He liked Minjung.

"I can only imagine", she chuckled while taking a small sip from her coffee. "I remember you mentioning something about your big house which made me wonder where do you guys live?"

"Oh, us? I actually live with my brothers right now", he quickly answered, remembering that he was a grown man who did not in fact need to live with his parents. "We live kind of separated from the city life. Near the woods, since we like to go for runs and such."

Baekhyun answered her questions nonchalantly, without a second thought. He was genuinely enjoying his time with Minjung.

Although the quilt was there, with her being human and him a wolf.

It wasn't safe for either of them. But sitting here, in this romantic tiny coffee shop, none of that seemed to matter.

Their date went on, Minjung mostly asking the questions which Baekhyun happily answered, having to make some of it up from time to time. He didn't mind not having to make the conversation himself.

After all, he had been told he could be a little...persuasive.

His mind wandered back to his flirting session with Eun Mi.

"You remind me of the sun. Because you're pretty hot" he had said to her when she was supposed to be helping him out with subtle flirting.

"Oh, I thought it's because I will literally kill you if you come close to me", Eun Mi had replied with a disgusted look on her face.

Yeah. Not so subtle.

He put his mind back to the girl in front of him while they spoke about this and that.

Carelessly.

Looking back at it, Baekhyun probably shouldn't have been so careless with what he told her about his life.

---

Eun Mi bowed down politely to the older hunters that passed her by at the institute. She had been called in by her father and she had a feeling this was about the finger she'd found with Dong Chul.

She had to admit she was a little bit nervous about finding out. The possibility of it being Ra Hee's was still very high. She wasn't sure how to feel about that.

Eun Mi pushed open the door to her father's office where she met Dong Chul, Jae Ho and Ki Moon. She bowed her head to Jae Ho and her dad and smiled at Dong Chul who looked just as nervous as she felt.

"Did you find something out about the finger?" Eun went straight to business. This had been bothering her since the moment she found it.

Ki Moon nodded. "Yes. The forensics just sent me the results, which was rather upsetting."

Dong Chul gulped while giving Eun Mi a wary look. Eun ushered her father to go on.

"Well, I guess the good news are that it wasn't Ra Hee's", as Ki Moon said those words, Eun immediately felt her shoulders loosen up and the air she had previously been holding in leave her lungs.

"Good... No one deserves that", Dong Chul muttered out with a relieved sigh.

Jae Ho, one of the lead hunters, cleared his throath. "The bad news, however, are that that just means it was someone else's. Which means we could potentially have another body coming up. And it also means that the new pack is killing humans."

"Yeah, about that pack..." Eun began, suddenly feeling nauseous, thinking of Himchan in his wolf form, going around killing people. Oh my God, what if he killed Ra Hee?

"What is it?" Ki Moon frowned at the sight of her daughter's worried face. He looked to Dong Chul for consult but he didn't seem to know anything either.

"I think I know the identity of the one I stabbed."

That left a stunned silence between the four of them.

Until Jae Ho broke it.

"What do you mean by that? You caught it?"

Eun shook her head. "No, not exactly. I am positive he goes to my school. I can't explain how I know this, I just... know. Plus, the leg I stabbed the wolf in is the same leg that he now has injured."

She just had a gut feeling. And she always trusted her gut.

Ki Moon's eyes were large as plates. "You're absolutely sure about this?"

"Who is it? Why haven't you told me anything?" Dong Chul asked, not helping but feeling a little betrayed by this.

For a fraction of a moment, she froze. Why was she feeling quilty that she was about to give Himchan in? No. He could potentially be a killer. This had to be done. She'd taken a vow, after all.

"It's Kim Himchan."

Dong Chul let out a loud, sharp gasp. "What?! The guy from the party?"

Eun nodded. Realization dawned upon him as he muttered something close to 'I'm going to be sick' and held his head.

Ki Moon's eyes hardened as he turned to speak with his partner. Eun watched Jae Ho nod along to what he was saying.

"Eun Mi, Dong Chul, you two are staying out of his way since he could be harmful. We are sending our guys out with you when you finish school tomorrow and we let him lead us to his pack. This has to be done with extreme caution. We can not get caught."

Jae Ho shook Eun's hand with admiration. "Thank you, Eun Mi'ssi for what you do for us daily. Your mother would be proud."

Jae Ho, being her dad's partner, had been around for years and had also known her mother Mi Young. Ki Moon looked at his daughter with nothing but love in his eyes as she thanked Jae Ho.

"It's settled them. I'll call for an em

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter