Fifteen.

Omma.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I need to talk to you.” Hyuna solemnly removes the skin tight latex gloves off her hands and trashing them into the bin next to her before removing her face mask. She unhooks the right end of her surgical mask and lets it hang by the elastic band on the other end.

 

Chanhee swallows thickly at how serious the woman sounded as she leads him slightly further away from the ward before coming to a complete stop in a quiet corner. A little too quiet for his liking since the lack of noises meant he would easily drown in his own negative thoughts.

 

Hyuna bends down to the water dispenser and pulls a triangular paper cone cup out from the side and fills it to the brim with cold water before bringing it to her lips and taking a sip. Her red lipstick leaves a stain on the edge of the cup.

 

“He’s lucky, the bleeding was a minor one that we managed to stop but we can’t stop the labour anymore. We’ve done our best but his body is not reacting to any of the drugs we’ve given him. The contractions are coming at a regular pace now.” Hyuna lets out a soft sigh as she leaned against the wall on her back, showing her exhaustion from her long hours of hard work.

 

“As a doctor, I’m not supposed to be emotionally attached to patients and do what I deem fit. But Byunghun...”

 

A light smile dances on Hyuna’s lips, glancing into nothing with a faraway look in her gaze.

 

“I’m not sure why Byunghun has a special place in my heart. Each time he comes in with such strong fighting spirit, I can never forget the determination in his eyes and how he smiles through the most painful treatments. When he came in the ambulance that night, I thought the fetus wouldn’t survive from the look of the blood, but look how far we’ve come. We didn’t manage to stop the labour this time but your wife seems to be dilating really slowly. Which is a good sign and bad sign. The slower he dilates, the longer we can keep the fetus in. But it’s going to put immense stress on Byunghun’s mind and body due to the long labour which might result in the fetus going into distress. Of course in such cases, we’d usually suggest an emergency cesarean but you know that in your wife’s case, cesarean is almost out of question unless absolutely necessary.”

 

“Then… What do we do now Songsaenim?” Chanhee takes a hold on Hyuna’s hands desperately, as though he was begging the doctor.

 

Please, you have to save both my wife and my unborn child.

 

“We’ll have to wait and see… I can’t guarantee you anything either… I’m sorry.”

 

===

 

Byunghun lets out a shaky breath as he clutches tightly onto the side railing of the bed with both his hands, curled up on his right side. His hospital was lifted up once again, exposing his swollen midsection that was strapped to the fetal and contraction belts.

 

The boy tries not to whimper as another wave of pain courses through his stomach. It wasn’t extremely painful per se but it was definitely uncomfortable and worrying. Hyuna had already confirmed that he has started dilating and was in labour. Although he was dilating slowly and is currently only dilated to 2cm, he wasn’t sure how long more he can keep the fetus in him. Previously the doctor had mentioned that it would be safer if he delivered after 32 weeks but right now they’ve only reached 31 weeks.

 

Was it possible for him to tide through another week? He doesn’t know. The said was exhausted.

 

“Byunghun.” Chanhee pokes his head into the ward, beaming.

 

Honestly Byunghun wanted to scratch at his face for looking so upbeat when he was in pain but at the same time he also wanted to cuddle in Chanhee’s warm embrace, to seek comfort in that pair of secure embracing arms.

 

Chanhee was smiling on the outside but on the inside he was also in pain. To see his wife in pain, it pained him. But for Byunghun’s sake, he had to pull himself together. He had to be strong for Byunghun and bunny.

 

“Does it hurt a lot?”

 

Byunghun uncurls himself from his fetal position and turns to Chanhee, managing to give a slight shake of his head and a warm smile.

 

“It’s just a little uncomfortable for now. A little painful but hey this isn’t the first time I’m going into labour. I can handle it. Besides I survived the first time alone.” The boy scoffed playfully, reminding Chanhee of the time he went into labour with Chunsa without his husband, who happened to be stuck in a jam, by his side.

 

Well technically it wasn’t exactly Chanhee’s fault either, seeing how the silly Byunghun didn’t even know he was in labour in the first place. It wasn’t until he was in active labour when he realized the pain wasn’t Braxton Hicks but actual contractions.

 

“I promise, this time I’ll be with you the entire time. No matter how many days this will take. I’ll be by your side the entire time.”

 

Byunghun grins, touched by Chanhee’s words. He opens his arms wide, asking Chanhee for a hug with his little puppy eyes that the other couldn’t say no to. Chanhee walks over and sits on the edge of the bed, taking his wife’s small frame into his arms, patting the boy’s hair in a downwards motion.

 

The peaceful moment doesn’t last long when another contraction rips through Byunghun’s abdomen as he grimaces slightly, pulling away from Chanhee to put his hand on his protruding tummy where bunny lies. His face scrunches up in discomfort as he purses his lips together, letting out a long slow breath.

 

Chanhee takes the boy into his arms once again, putting his palms on his wife’s exposed belly part that wasn’t obstructed by the monitoring belts. Giving the boy a kiss on his forehead, the older waits for the contraction to pass before getting up and filling a small pail with tap water and soaking a handkerchief in it. Once the fabric was completely soaked in the cool water, the man brings it up and wrings it dry before sitting by Byunghun’s side once again, using the handkerchief to dab at Byunghun’s forehead.

 

“Are you excited? We’ll meet our bunny soon.”

 

“But it’s too early Channie… I’m scared...”

 

What if bunny doesn’t survive?

 

“Don’t be silly, little bunny is our child. He’s a fighter. Just like you.”

 

===

 

For entire night up till the next morning, Byunghun tossed and turned in pain, unable to catch a single wink. His contractions were pulling closer and harder, the pain was getting harder and harder to breathe through. He felt like his entire being was wrecked apart. Putting his hand gently atop Chanhee’s red hair, he the soft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter