B Bomb: Coffee Girl

In My Mind

Every day she walks in front of me. Every day it rains. Every day she wears no jacket. And every day I want to hold her tight and pull her into a warm building. But that would be creepy.

Today the cold seems to be taking its toll. The tips of her fingers look bright red and purple. The rest a pale white. She shivers every twenty seconds. The material of her shirt seems too thin to keep her warm. If there was even a possibility of my black leather jacket fitting around her thick figure I would put it on her in a heartbeat. The wind made the rain ice cold. It couldn't feel good. Not to anyone. For the first time since we've crossed paths she wrapped her arms around herself. She never did that. No matter how cold.

A tiny voice in my head told me I had to do something. That I couldn't just let her freeze. I took a deep breath of the cold air. Some bit of courage surfaced within me and I jogged up to her. She looked colder than I thought. Her cheeks and nose were bright red and her eyes were filling with tears. At first she looked scared. Like I was going to attack her or something. When she realized it was me she smiled.

I was a regular at a little coffee shop about three blocks from where we were at the moment. She worked there. She cleaned the tables and floors and restocked the to-go cups. Because she didn't serve anyone she didn't have a name tag. I'd never talked to her. She never had the time. I just smiled. I smiled at her every time I saw her. While others purposely spilled things and gave dirty looks just to see her waddle away and weave through the tables that were just a little too close together.

"You're cold." I blurted out. Out of all of the words I could have said. Out of all the ways I could have said them I chose to state the obvious. Not even a hello. I'm an idiot.

"Thanks for noticing?" She laughed. Her voice. It was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard. It was light and sounded sweet. I stood there unsure of what to do next. My adrenaline had gotten me here but I wasn't sure my brain could carry out the rest.

"Are you okay?" She looked worried. She pressed the back of her hand against my cheek. Her fingers were like icicles. It was definitely worse than I thought.

"Um..." I took a shaky breath then smiled. I took her hand from my cheek and continued to hold it even as I spoke "I've noticed you don't have a jacket. Whenever I see you, you don't." She hasn't pushed my hand away yet. Her hand was soft and smooth. I could feel it warming up by the second. I could also feel my confidence growing. "I thought you could use a hug. It's especially cold today."

"I... I just c- I could use a hug." She laughed finally settling on what to say.

I wrapped both arms around her shoulders and bent my head down to press against her cheek.  She was insanely cold but I didn't mind. She was soft. Every part of her was. Her hair, her skin, and her body. She smelled like peaches. I wasn't sure if it was perfume or shampoo or what. It was nice. And when she finally hugged me back all thoughts disappeared. She nuzzled into my shoulder and her fingers pressed against my back. Her hands were in a spot that sent shivers up my spine.

"Get a room!" Someone yelled.

            "Honey leave the love birds alone." The voice of an old lady scolded.

I'd forgotten we'd stopped. That we were in the middle of a sidewalk. Probably stopping the foot traffic. We pulled away and smiled at each other. She let me walk her to work with an arm around her. I hoped I helped her warm up. We parted ways at the little coffee shop. Said nothing more than "see you later." I didn't want coffee today. I didn't need it today. It was already better than I could have imagined.

"That's it?" Whined an oddly familiar voice. I turned to find none other than Ahn Jaehyo. My band mate. "You stalk that girl for two months and all you do is hug her? No kiss? No number? Not even a name!"

"And how long have you been following me?" I questioned.

He walked over to me and draped an arm over my shoulders. "Doesn't matter," he shrugged. "Just know that next time you've got to do better."