Chapter 5

The Masquerade

Luhan watched as Minseok fumbled with his waistcoat, attempting to dress himself in a hurry. He could hear a man calling from the gardens. Minseok reached for the door of the greenhouse, apparently satisfied that he was in a decent enough state of dress to greet whomever it was calling for him. As he pulled at the door, a hand hit the door hard enough to keep it shut.

“Are you insane?” Luhan hissed, stopping Minseok from leaving.

Minseok the man, ready to push him out of the way.

“What if someone sees you in the gardens in this state of dress?” Luhan looked him up and down, “You are disheveled.”

Minseok moved Luhan’s arm with force, opening the door and exiting it as he continued to fix his cravat. Luhan stood, numb, watching from the darkness as Minseok walked a few feet up the path.

“Sehun?” Minseok’s chest was tight. His heart was beating fast, and he knew it had to do with more than his recent exertions.

“Mintheok?”

Luhan dared not breathe, he was too afraid he would draw attention to himself. Luhan was still half , only managing to pull his pants on. He watched as a tall, blonde haired man approached Minseok, his strides swift and strong.

“Yes?” Minseok felt his heart skip ever so as he saw Sehun walking towards him. Memories of the last time he had seen Sehun came flooding back – but somehow those memories felt different now, less intense. Minseok had tried to imagine what it would be like facing Sehun after so many years, he had anticipated despair washing over him. Oddly enough, he felt more concerned for Sehun and less angry and sorrowful.

“I…Junmyeon said you were here.” Sehun crossed his arms, he looked away, his discomfort obvious “I wanted to tell you I can leave if you want. I don’t want to make things awkward for you.”

“How have you been, Sehun?” Minseok asked. Luhan tensed. So this was Minseok’s ex-fiancée, the one he so cruelly left? Something wasn’t adding up, Luhan couldn’t imagine a jilted fiancée being so accommodating to the one who left him. Luhan wondered why Minseok had ignored the man’s offer to leave, jumping instead into concern over his wellbeing.

“I have been well. And you?”

“I came back to the city a few months back…it has been interesting, being back.” Minseok shifted, feeling the strange tension in the air. He should have listened to Luhan because as he looked down it was clear that his clothes were askew.

“Good, I am glad. I mean, that you are okay.” Sehun looked back towards the house, clearly uncomfortable “Do you need me to take my leave?”

“I- Sehun, they will start talking. I don’t want you to have to deal with that.” Minseok knew tongues were probably already wagging inside, especially since both men had disappeared shortly after arriving.

“I can handle it. I am older now.” Sehun stood up straight, “I worry more about you.”

“Don’t worry about me, I can take care of myself.” Minseok answered firmly.

Something about the way Minseok was talking to Sehun made Luhan feel…different. Was this what it felt like to be, dare he say, jealous? Or perhaps it was sheer anger over the fact Minseok had pushed him aside so easily, darting to greet his ex-fiancée without another word.

“Minseok.” Jongdae came jogging up the path, turning to see Sehun standing there he did a double take. “Sehun, um, I am sorry to interrupt but I need to speak to Minseok.”

Sehun bowed slightly, not saying a word as he took his leave. Minseok watched him walk away before grabbing Jongdae’s arm “Let us walk a bit before we speak.” He whispered, Jongdae not bothering to ask why or argue.

Luhan felt anger boil up in him as he watched Minseok walk down the path with Jongdae, Minseok not sparing another glance in his direction. Had they not just slept together? What did D’Adderleigh take him for? And how could he be kissing Luhan one minute and the next talking to his ex-fiancée so casually? Luhan found himself punching the wooden bench out of frustrations, his body sore and his mind shoring up the perception that Minseok may just be the scoundrel everyone chalked him up to be. A scoundrel with a lot of secrets and peculiar way of dealing with jilted fiancés.

***

“The thief is here.” Jongdae whispered as they headed up the path, Minseok fixing his cravat as they walked. “Dare I ask what happened to your necktie this time?”

Minseok ignored his question, “How do you know the thief is here?”

“This.” Jongdae pushed a handkerchief into Minseok’s hand. He opened it, a small diamond sitting in the middle of it. He looked at Jongdae, confused.

“He is taunting us. This was taken from Junmyeon’s mother’s necklace. A pear shaped yellow diamond. Junmyeon found it tucked into his coat.”

Minseok’s eyes widened. “You have to be joking? And Junmyeon doesn’t know who placed it there?”

“He was dancing at the time, partners were changed, the dance floor was filled.” Jongdae sighed “It is someone on the guest list that much I am certain of.”

“Let’s go inside then, we need to keep careful watch.” Minseok quickened his pace. Maybe tonight would be Minseok’s lucky night, in more ways than one.

***

Minseok stood in the corner of the large room, watching as the other guests took to the dance floor – a much smaller area than the one at the Kim estate but still large enough to offer plenty of room for several couples to waltz.

He made note of Sehun, who was dancing with a particularly pretty young woman whose name escaped Minseok’s mind at the moment. He noticed the chatter as the guests kept watch on where Minseok was in relation to Sehun, anticipating some kind of scene. Thankfully Sehun stayed away and Minseok did the same, their brief exchange in the gardens sufficient for the both of them.

“D’Adderleigh?” Baekhyun approached, wearing the same smug expression that Minseok had encountered a few days before on the street. “Enjoying the evening?”

“Yes. And you?” Minseok knew the only course ahead of him was to be unfailingly polite.

“Yes, very much so.” Baekhyun stood next to Minseok, as if his goal was to cause as much discomfort as possible. “I was wondering how you are holding up, with certain guests in attendance.”

“I am doing well, thank you for your concern.” Minseok answered briefly. Baekhyun had to be one of the least likable people he had ever met. That assessment was very quickly inclusive of Chanyeol, who came walking over to the pair.

“My lord.” Chanyeol bowed, greeting Minseok with the expected level of courtesy given his position.

Minseok bowed back and the two exchanged brief introductions.

“Chanyeol and I are old school friends, we often frequent the same clubs. D’Adderleigh, what clubs do you belong to?” Baekhyun asked, his interest in the subject making Minseok tense.

“I do not frequent clubs.” Minseok answered, regretting his words as soon as he saw where Baekhyun was going with the conversation.

“Only Herringwoods?” Baekhyun asked innocently.

Minseok felt his patience wearing down, compounded by Chanyeol opening his mouth “Oh yes, I heard about that. Seems you like to gamble recklessly, old boy.”

Minseok breathed in and out, trying to keep calm. He bit his tongue, waiting to speak until he could trust himself to say something he would not regret. As he fumed he noticed Luhan walking towards them. He hadn’t seen Luhan since leaving him in the greenhouse, an act which he knew was very wrong. Yet the alternative was letting Jongdae know who he had been with as well as giving away their nighttime activities to Sehun. He doubted Luhan wanted his name mentioned in the same sentence as the notorious D’Adderleigh, much less such gossip involving being alone together in a state of undress in a greenhouse.

“Luhan!” Baekhyun’s eyes lit up and his demeanor immediately changed. Minseok wanted to roll his eyes as the man practically threw himself on Luhan, grabbing his arm possessively.

The tension was palpable, Minseok felt it, he was sure Luhan could feel it to. Whatever it was between them drowning out everyone in the room but each other, making it hard to focus. Minseok had to ignore it, so he dared not even look at Luhan. He needed to be strong, to ignore, to focus at the task at hand.

Luhan didn’t dare to make eye contact with D’Adderleigh, “Baekhyun, would you like to dance?”

“Dance? Of course.”

Minseok really wanted to roll his eyes as he watched Luhan Baekhyun to the dance floor, Chanyeol drifting away to start trouble somewhere else. He tried to remain vigilant, watching the guests as they mingled about the room, pushing Luhan from his mind.

“So, are you single now?”

Minseok really was not happy with the way this night was going. He turned to see who had sidled up to him this time, noting a very flamboyantly dressed Kim Heechul.

“Excuse me?” Minseok asked, seriously wondering if he had heard the question right.

“Well, I do say everyone is gossiping up a storm about you but all that I can think of doing is taking you into the gardens and kissing you senseless.” Heechul winked, taking pleasure in Minseok’s blush.

“I…”

“Hm. What I thought. I guess this beauty is not for everyone.” Heechul laughed, waved at a group of women across the room and took his leave as quickly and oddly as he had decided to talk to Minseok.

***

The night wore on and nothing outwardly suspicious occurred. As the guests started to filter out of the house, a little after one in the morning, Minseok remained cautious. Jongdae approached him, looking glum “I guess the thief decided not to act.”

“I guess so.” Minseok was itching to catch this criminal, especially now that he knew he was toying with their investigation – aware of their identities while they still struggled to find his.

“Jongdae!” Jongdae’s aged Aunt waved him over.

“Excuse me.” Jongdae left to go speak to her while Minseok continued noting those who were leaving. Sehun had left a little after eleven, not saying another word to Minseok. Luhan had left as well, sticking by Baekhyun’s side for the entire night. His actions made Minseok feel extremely regretful, and yes, a little jealous. He shouldn’t have left him like that, not without speaking to him, without explaining what he could. As was his modus operandi, he had failed at forming any kind of meaningful foundation – he only seemed to know how to hurt those around him.

Jongdae waved Minseok over to where he stood with his Aunt, Junmyeon approaching as well as he was flagged down.

“My Aunt is missing her bracelet.” Jongdae explained. Minseok noticed that the woman looked frazzled.

“I don’t think I dropped it.” She started looking around the floor, as if it would turn up in the emptying room.

“We will look it for, please don’t worry yourself.” Jongdae tried to keep her calm but she was not stupid. She had heard of the jewel thief.

After questioning her on who she had spoken too and danced with, they found that the woman had practically said hello to half the people in the room.

“This is so frustrating.” Junmyeon echoed Minseok and Jongdae’s sentiments, even though he had just begun helping them investigate.

“I feel the same way.” Minseok was frustrated too – angry and frustrated and regretful. The entire night seemed to be an utter failure on so many levels. And then he bothered to reach into his pocket and check his pocket watch.

He felt it, a piece of cloth. Could it be... he pulled out a handkerchief, which was similar to the one that Jongdae had shown him earlier that night. Making sure no one was looking he moved to the corner of the room, opened it, and found the missing bracelet neatly tucked inside. The nerve!

“He planted it on me.” Minseok felt like punching something.

“That scoundrel!” Jongdae took the bracelet, intending to give it back to his aunt the next day. If she found out it had been in Minseok’s pocket Jongdae was sure the poisonous gossip would begin, blaming Minseok for the thefts.

“I am guessing you don’t know who could have done it?” Junmyeon asked.

Minseok hadn’t danced that night. No. And he hadn’t talked to a lot of the guests there. The Baroness, a few passing acquaintances, Jongdae, Junmyeon, Sehun, Heechul, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and…Luhan. But it couldn’t be. No. Minseok felt sick, “I have no idea.”

***

“If it makes you feel any better he turned me down.” Heechul offered up his own form of consolation, which was about all he could muster before he was turning his attention back to the very attractive serving woman.

“That does not make me feel better.” Luhan downed another glass of brandy, letting the glass hit the table a bit too hard, the thud causing a few of his fellow patrons to cast odd glances in his direction.

“Ease up old boy, it isn’t like you can’t just go talk to him.” Heechul didn’t tear his eyes away from the serving woman as he spoke. After the Baroness’s soiree Heechul had dragged Luhan to one of his favorite haunts, a place where they could drink discreetly, without their presence causing gossip.

“How could I go talk to him? When? Where? At his house?” Luhan pouted, refilling his glass. He was already woozy from drinking too much, if he had any sense he would stop. But his sense had been taken away by a pair of beautiful eyes in a greenhouse.

“You could. It isn’t that unusual for friends to visit each other.” Heechul offered.

“We aren’t friends! I mean, we aren’t publically friends.” Luhan protested.

“Awww. How cute.” Heechul finally turned his attention back to Luhan “You mean you don’t want anyone to know you like him because of his scandal?”

Luhan turned red. Was that it? Well…yes and no. He couldn’t, as the son of a Duke, be connected to such a notoriously scandalous figure. If anyone caught them together it would spread throughout town. Luhan’s father, as accommodating as he was to D’Adderleigh in passing greeting, probably wasn’t counting on his son being his friend…or something more. He doubted his parents would be overjoyed to find out everyone was talking about their precious child and the Viscount.

“I think that is your problem. If you can’t even be seen with him how can you be angry he ignored you?” Heechul spoke some rare words of wisdom “Not to mention that you strung Baekhyun along all night you rascal.”

Baekhyun. There was Baekhyun, who had basked in all of the attention Luhan had thrown his way. It was more than he usually offered up, and Baekhyun had been thrilled.

“I messed everything up, didn’t I?” Luhan put his head down on the table, drowning in his self-imposed sorrow. He spoke, his words muffled by the table “I don’t even know if he is not such a bad person. What if…what if I made a terrible mistake?”

“Well, my friend that is a distinct possibility.” Heechul reached across the table and patted Luhan’s head, “I would suggest, if you are intent on drinking yourself sick over this whole thing, you find something else to do. Maybe try to figure out if our devilish Viscount is so devilish after all.”

Luhan’s head shot up “How?”

“You are seriously hopeless, you know that, don’t you?” Heechul sighed with exasperation “Do I have to tell you how to do everything?”

Luhan nodded dumbly.

“Start by finding out if any of those old rumors hold weight. How you go about it is up to you, I have more important things to do than train you on the fine art of chasing men.” Heechul decided enough was enough, standing up he made a kissy face at the serving woman “Now if you will excuse me my good man, I have something I need to go do.”

Luhan groaned, throwing his head back down on the table. Maybe he should just give up, stop caring. Write his actions off as momentary insanity. Forget about those lovely eyes, that strong body, that…Luhan felt himself growing hard as he remembered what had happened hours before. Minseok ing into him furiously, his mind hazy, his body warm and coursing with an ecstasy he did not know was possible. Even if he wanted to forget, he couldn’t. God damnit.

----------------------------------------

a/n- Poor Luhan. Poor Minseok. Whatever will happen next ;)

I hope you like the update! Thank you to the new subbers, upvoters, commenters, and silent readers. I really appreciate it! Receiving feedback/ knowing people are enjoying the story really helps me as I write. Until next time –LC

PS- Fandom hug over today’s events. Let’s stay strong everyone and hope the best for all of our boys.